College Student Questions Police Offi...

College Student Questions Police Officers Conduct

There are 53 comments on the WJW Fox 8 Cleveland story from Feb 22, 2010, titled College Student Questions Police Officers Conduct. In it, WJW Fox 8 Cleveland reports that:

In the community that Mount Union College calls home, police have been very aggressively fighting underage drinking in an effort they call "Operation Last Call." Police Chief Scott Griffith tells Fox 8 News that in the last year the special detail has resulted in about 80 arrests which he believes can have a wide ranging impact.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WJW Fox 8 Cleveland.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“Perfect? NO. Forgiven? YES!”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#41 Mar 1, 2010
Mount Union Mom wrote:
I think I have hit a nerve "When Pigs Fly". First let me state again "I have never bailed my kids out" and "they have never been arrested for illegal underage drinking." They graduated with honors from MUC and have become very successful. Because of the questionable behavior of the APD when my children attended MUC, one of my children has decided to go into a profession where hopefully they can make changes happen.
I am posting on here because of my own personal beliefs. If you are old enough to be married, raise a family, vote, and go to war and DIE for your country, be considered at 18 to be an adult and the laws apply to you as an adult then you should be able to drink alcohol. The laws in this country contradict themselves. Many colleges are uniting to try to lower the legal age to 18 where it should be. And no I am not a big drinker. Only drink occasionly. And yes I am a wonderful mother. Anybody who knows me from teachers to politicians would agree. Thank you.
Like it or not, the legal age to drink is 21. May they never lower it. College students are not mature enough to handle it. I am glad your kids never got caught in college. Neither did mine. He doesn't drink. REally glad they graduated with honors and it appears one is planning on being a sheister lawyer. Just what we need. Another lib lawyer that thinks the laws apply to anyone but them. I am glad I don't live around you. And the name is MySmileyFace, not when pigs fly. Can't you read?

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

#42 Mar 1, 2010
the potential collage student that scored big time in high school and gets to collage to become a doctor or lawyer or something big blows it by getting in collage and gets into party hardy and blows his chances at a good career. I wish the God the cops were there to stop my nephew that first year.
jbd612

AOL

#43 Mar 1, 2010
I agree D. A lot of young people would still be alive if we had more cops addressing this issue of underaged drinking....however, parent's are the first line of defense. If they would address this at home before their son/daughter arrives on campus there would be a lot less for the officer's to even have to address.

The parent's have had 17-21 years to deal with the subject. The cop's have a few hours each day. Who do you think has more influence in a young person's life?
Mount Union MomFAIL

Stow, OH

#44 Mar 2, 2010
epic fail for Mount Union MOM
Mount Union MomFAIL

Stow, OH

#45 Mar 2, 2010
under 21 = no drinking period ! APD is doing the job they need to be doing.

“We Have A Lot Of Work To Do”

Since: Feb 10

Brecksville

#46 Mar 2, 2010
Legal age for drinking is 21 years of age. If you're not 21, don't drink. There are so many instances on every college campus of underage drinking it's not even funny. Even if you are on a "dry campus" that doesn't allow alcohol for anyone, alcohol is still all over the place.

That being said, it's a problem that needs to be addressed. Too many people turn a blind eye to it, and that's not the way to go. Campus police can be more lax on that sort of thing and just make sure the kids are safe, but the actual town/city police force have to enforce the laws and can't be lax. That's probably one of the most important lessons a college student can learn, because the university administration sure won't teach that lesson. They usually want everything to go right under the rug.

Location hidden

#47 Mar 2, 2010
Agreed. And this MU Mom needs to get her head on straight. College students these days are out of control. And the bad ones made it bad on the good ones, but that is the price to be paid. I say good for the Alliance Police Department. But then again, I am one who obeys the laws.

“We Have A Lot Of Work To Do”

Since: Feb 10

Brecksville

#48 Mar 2, 2010
MySmileyFace wrote:
Agreed. And this MU Mom needs to get her head on straight. College students these days are out of control. And the bad ones made it bad on the good ones, but that is the price to be paid. I say good for the Alliance Police Department. But then again, I am one who obeys the laws.
Yeah, I'm sorry but there is no way an 18 year old is mature enough to handle alcohol. Maybe a few are, but those are few and far between. I know MU Mom uses the "old enough for other things" argument, but I would say that an 18 year old isn't mature enough to handle voting, fighting in wars, or smoking for that matter. However, just because they do some other things doesn't mean they should be able to do everything.

If we're talking about moving the drinking age, we should be moving it higher, not lower.
Sam

Painesville, OH

#49 Jul 22, 2010
No one is saying APD wasn't doing their job they are saying that they have double standards. They should not continue talking to college students even if they do not start the converstation, when they are involved in a program to end drinking within the college crowd Also why did he need to prove to Dani that he is not 50 he should have just let it go. It sounds to me like he may have been flirting with the young girls. but you never know unless you were there.
bob

Painesville, OH

#50 Jul 22, 2010
you can send 18 year olds to war but you ban alcohol from them. If I can kill people I should be able to drink
Brenda

Philadelphia, PA

#51 Jul 22, 2010
Wow.

Location hidden

#52 Jul 22, 2010
bob wrote:
you can send 18 year olds to war but you ban alcohol from them. If I can kill people I should be able to drink
What an ignorant fool you are. The draft went away years ago. They volunteer now. Why not go drink yourself into a stupor which is what these kids do.

Since: Mar 10

Cleveland, OH

#53 Jul 22, 2010
Mount Union Mom wrote:
I think I have hit a nerve "When Pigs Fly". First let me state again "I have never bailed my kids out" and "they have never been arrested for illegal underage drinking." They graduated with honors from MUC and have become very successful. Because of the questionable behavior of the APD when my children attended MUC, one of my children has decided to go into a profession where hopefully they can make changes happen.
I am posting on here because of my own personal beliefs. If you are old enough to be married, raise a family, vote, and go to war and DIE for your country, be considered at 18 to be an adult and the laws apply to you as an adult then you should be able to drink alcohol. The laws in this country contradict themselves. Many colleges are uniting to try to lower the legal age to 18 where it should be. And no I am not a big drinker. Only drink occasionly. And yes I am a wonderful mother. Anybody who knows me from teachers to politicians would agree. Thank you.
Of course politicians would agree that you are a wonderful mother. They get paid to lie!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alliance Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Stefani Schaefer (Oct '09) Nov 21 Fan of stefani 57
Shirley Vance from Coalton Ohio Oct '16 Slowlicker 4 you 2
News Traffic stop leads to criminal charges after fo... Aug '16 Bodean 1
News Across Our Communities (Feb '16) Feb '16 carrollmac345 1
News Columbus council to open tap for water-system u... (Feb '16) Feb '16 Reality Speaks 9
Substantial factor in sad U.S.A. job situation! (Jul '09) Jan '16 Taco bell ah 2
Duane, Dwayne, or similar spelling (Dec '13) Nov '15 Noone2015 2

Alliance Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Alliance Mortgages