College Student Questions Police Offi...

College Student Questions Police Officers Conduct

There are 53 comments on the WJW Fox 8 Cleveland story from Feb 22, 2010, titled College Student Questions Police Officers Conduct. In it, WJW Fox 8 Cleveland reports that:

In the community that Mount Union College calls home, police have been very aggressively fighting underage drinking in an effort they call "Operation Last Call." Police Chief Scott Griffith tells Fox 8 News that in the last year the special detail has resulted in about 80 arrests which he believes can have a wide ranging impact.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WJW Fox 8 Cleveland.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
mount student

Hiram, OH

#1 Feb 22, 2010
RIDICULOUS
Moron Spotter

Stow, OH

#2 Feb 22, 2010
Good. Keep cracking down on underage drinking. Dumba$$ college kids.
collegekid17

Stow, OH

#3 Feb 22, 2010
excuse me? you are going to call college students in general "dumba$$es"? what gives you the right to judge college students and assume that every single one of us drinks? i think you need to be a little more respectful there buddy.
Mount Union Mom

Cleveland, OH

#4 Feb 23, 2010
There is so much more to this story and many more over the years. I have had two children at MU over the past 6 years. Don't let them fool you. THIS IS A MONEY MAKER FOR THE CITY OF ALLIANCE! This is how this city is surviving. The PD have refused to work with the college regarding drinking which happens at every college. They will harrass any students having a party even when they are 21 and over. They can call that disorderly conduct so they can MAKE MONEY. Alliance hss one judge who always sides with the PD no matter what to MAKE MONEY FOR THE CITY. I have waited years for someone to do a story on this. KEEP DIGGING FOR THE STORIES AND THE TRUTH!
Ned

Akron, OH

#5 Feb 23, 2010
Look mommy and daddy cant hold your hand . Alliance Police have a JOB to do... Alliance is not your playground you little brats.

Way to go APD !
Ned

Akron, OH

#6 Feb 23, 2010
Alliance has 1 judge that DOES NOT SIDE WITH THE P.D. Muc MOM !
Mount Union Mom

Cleveland, OH

#7 Feb 23, 2010
Ned, sounds like you are a APD. You have the same attitude. These so called "little brats" as you put it will someday soon become people of the communities they live and work in and they will make a difference. They will know how they were treated and will strive to change it. Have been told many times that people in Alliance do not like the MU students. However, if this college was not there Alliance would be a ghost town. The APD need to focus on the real crime in that city. It's known as a druggie city. However, they can't make money off of that like they can the "little brats". Your words speak for themselves. wink wink APD!
Thelocal

Santa Clara, CA

#8 Feb 23, 2010
They have this thing where citizens could make a citizens arrest and since the cops were off duty, they probably took advantage of the law but they shouldn't sit there flashing their badges if they're off the clock. Just nab them and take them downtown. I know that people might come up with the argument that the city is trying to make money, but on the same token they shouldn't be drinking under age, getting drunk, or getting caught with a DUI. Those who make the argument that the city is making money off of it probably got into trouble by the law themselves and it was alcohol related. The only way to get away with an alcohol related crime is don't get caught.
MUC_Student_11

Alliance, OH

#9 Feb 23, 2010
I'm a Mount Union student, and I don't appreciate the tone that some of these comments take, generalizing the MU students as "dumba$$es." This was one article written by one girl for a newspaper that acts as a learning tool for journalism students. Most students here are highly respectful of both the police and the Alliance community. Please recognize that there are indeed bad apples at Mount Union, but there is no need to criminalize and criticize the entire student body.
Slim

Valley City, OH

#10 Feb 23, 2010
If you dont like the police tactics then dont put yourself where they are going to be. If you are not 21 then dont drink and you wont have to worry about it. Simple. For college students some of yall are dumb.
Not a police officer

Akron, OH

#11 Feb 23, 2010
Police officers do have the same rights as non-officers when they are off-duty. These officers had the right to go to the restaurant.
According to the article, Dani Rizzo stated that she was socializing with the offiers. She knew some of them and was telling them that all of the friends there were now of legal age to drink. In other words, she approached them. They were probably laughing and joking when the badge was shown and the photo taken.
At some point the photo became a story. Well, McKnight and Rizzo have had their 15 minutes of fame. Maybe the purpose of the story was to focus on just one tiny portion of the article and show how it can be skewed in favor of one party.
To MUC_Student_11: reread the comment about the MUC students being "dumba$$es". It was a generalized comment and most likely not an attack on the entire MUC student body.

Jimmy boy

Stow, OH

#12 Feb 23, 2010
College students who are 21 have just as much of a right as those police officers do to go to that bar. Dont sit and say that college students should stay away from the bar because police are going to be acting innapropriately towards them if they show up. They didnt know that the police were going to be there after their christmas party so how would they have put themselves in that situation. Should college kids not be allowed to go to the bar because the police are going to be there?
Thelocal

Santa Clara, CA

#13 Feb 23, 2010
Jimmy boy wrote:
College students who are 21 have just as much of a right as those police officers do to go to that bar. Dont sit and say that college students should stay away from the bar because police are going to be acting innapropriately towards them if they show up. They didnt know that the police were going to be there after their christmas party so how would they have put themselves in that situation. Should college kids not be allowed to go to the bar because the police are going to be there?
Nobody is saying if your over 21 that you can't go go out to the bar. We are talking about the dummies that are too young to drink, then we are also talking about people whether or not if they are of age or not doing stupid things when they get drunk. The situation where the cops didn't let college kids into the bar probably was triggered because to many dummies came in there with fake ID's or they had other problems.
bobby

Kelleys Island, OH

#14 Feb 23, 2010
Spoiled brats. Everbody picks on them. Than they grow up and be police. Nasty cylce
Jimmy boy

Stow, OH

#15 Feb 23, 2010
Thats no even what im talking about. Slim said "If you dont like the police tactics then dont put yourself where they are going to be." This is insinuating that the college students who were at the bar knew that the police were going to show up after their party. The students obviously didnt. I never said that college kids were not allowed in the bar. It was a question in response to what he said.
Jimmy boy

Stow, OH

#16 Feb 23, 2010
Who are you calling spoiled brats?
Jake

Wooster, OH

#17 Feb 23, 2010
THIS IS A MONEY MAKER FOR THE CITY OF ALLIANCE! This is how this city is surviving.

Sorry it's not a money maker. It costs far more in Officer salary, benefits and equipment than will ever be made from a handful of underage drinking citations.
Sara MUC

Elyria, OH

#18 Feb 23, 2010
First off, I know these two Mount Union girls. Both girls are in a sorority at Mount Union, They are very evil and vindictive girls. I've seen them make fun of disabled people on campus. If they don't like you, they will blackball you from their click. They are the type of girls who judge people by how much money they have or by their looks.
Don't be fooled by them acting like innocent victims. Trust me, they planned it from the start.The police did nothing wrong. If the officer didn't act polite then he would have been a cocky arrogant cop. Yeah she took a picture with his badge. Big deal. Get over it!!!!!!!!!!
Sara MUC

Elyria, OH

#19 Feb 23, 2010
This one is for Mount Union Mom. How dare you say that Alliance is known as a druggie town.Alliance is a very beautiful city. You claim on your post that you are from Canton. Well I hate to break the news to you. Canton is full of druggies too. They have a very high murder rate as well. I also know that the were rated as one of the ten worst cities in Ohio.
As for you kids being Mount Alumni, I'm sure that they were just angels at the college. You're so fast to jusge people. Ask yourself this, What did your children ever do to give back to the college? You are prob. the type of parent who baby your children still. You never make them own up to their mistakes. You're the type of parent who makes our young adults softies in life.
Go find someone else to put the blame on why your children turned out the way they have. You've never made them be accountable for the problems that they brought on themselves.So stop blaming the police. I feel safier with the Alliance Police watching over me at night. Good Job Boys!!!!!!!!!!
Karen

Stow, OH

#20 Feb 23, 2010
Dear Sara,
First of all learn how to type properly because it just makes you look ignorant.
Secondly, you were talking about how those girls are quick to judge people and yet what are you doing? You instantly judged Mount Union Mom and said that she doesn’t know how to raise her children. You do not know her or her children do you? So stop being a hypocrite.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alliance Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
old friends (Grubb) (Jan '15) Oct 17 n3lla79 3
Kevin Nicholson (Sep '13) Aug '17 ShadyAf 3
News Alliance men charged in meth sales Aug '17 ShadyAf 1
News Stefani Schaefer (Oct '09) Aug '17 Soul for GOD 62
Election Who do you support for County Auditor in Ohio (... (Oct '10) Mar '17 Randy Miller 7
Excessive Sebring Water Bills (Feb '17) Feb '17 JLB 1
Shirley Vance from Coalton Ohio (Oct '16) Oct '16 Slowlicker 4 you 2

Alliance Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Alliance Mortgages