First phase of makeover complete at Cumberland Gardens in Allentown

Oct 23, 2012 Full story: WFMZ-TV Allentown 33

One of Allentown's oldest public housing complexes isn't looking so old anymore.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
A-town Observer

Bethlehem, PA

#1 Oct 23, 2012
More of an incentive for people to go on section 8 and welfare instead of working and being productive members of this city. I don't see the logic of pumping 15 million dollars into public houses that are supposed to be stepping stones for people to work their ways out of such residential facilities. That state money would have been better spent on the quality of life issues in our downtown areas where we are revitalizing.
silly rabbit

Drexel Hill, PA

#3 Oct 24, 2012
Take a ride through the old hanoveracers on a nice weekend¿
get out

Northampton, PA

#4 Oct 24, 2012
A-town Observer wrote:
More of an incentive for people to go on section 8 and welfare instead of working and being productive members of this city. I don't see the logic of pumping 15 million dollars into public houses that are supposed to be stepping stones for people to work their ways out of such residential facilities. That state money would have been better spent on the quality of life issues in our downtown areas where we are revitalizing.
Starting to get the the picture Ward Rat ? Like I've said a dozen times... The arena project will always be a jewel in the middle of a shiiiithole.
Mr Blinks

Switzerland

#5 Oct 24, 2012
When will they do my house? Move to Allentown and if you fit a certain demographic EVERYTHING is free.
Mr Blinks

Switzerland

#6 Oct 24, 2012
get out wrote:
<quoted text>
Starting to get the the picture Ward Rat ? Like I've said a dozen times... The arena project will always be a jewel in the middle of a shiiiithole.
Jewel as in synthetic diamonds. Like the ones you can buy at KMart.
silly rabbit

Allentown, PA

#7 Oct 24, 2012
A-town Observer wrote:
More of an incentive for people to go on section 8 and welfare instead of working and being productive members of this city. I don't see the logic of pumping 15 million dollars into public houses that are supposed to be stepping stones for people to work their ways out of such residential facilities. That state money would have been better spent on the quality of life issues in our downtown areas where we are revitalizing.
AO AO, this will improve the quality of life issues allentow will face HOW¿
A-town Observer

Bethlehem, PA

#8 Oct 24, 2012
silly rabbit wrote:
<quoted text>
AO AO, this will improve the quality of life issues allentow will face HOW¿
It could have been used in many ways. What are you trying to say? You pick.
Alientown

Allentown, PA

#9 Oct 24, 2012
Go figure
Alientown

Allentown, PA

#10 Oct 24, 2012
A-town Observer wrote:
More of an incentive for people to go on section 8 and welfare instead of working and being productive members of this city. I don't see the logic of pumping 15 million dollars into public houses that are supposed to be stepping stones for people to work their ways out of such residential facilities. That state money would have been better spent on the quality of life issues in our downtown areas where we are revitalizing.
Remember Cabrini Green . The gangs knocked walkways thru the walls into neighbors dwellings and then charged them protection $ so they would have safe access to their dwelling . It was eventually leveled .
Alientown

Allentown, PA

#11 Oct 24, 2012
When we eventualy get together we'll start fighting back . It won't be with a 9mm firing sideways like the bangers to watch the shell casings eject in the air .
silly rabbit

Philadelphia, PA

#12 Oct 25, 2012
A-town Observer wrote:
<quoted text>
It could have been used in many ways. What are you trying to say? You pick.
AO AO if you are so observiant, you would see the issues that I am writting about¿
get out

Northampton, PA

#13 Oct 25, 2012
A-town Observer wrote:
<quoted text>
It could have been used in many ways. What are you trying to say? You pick.
It wasn't used your way, was it Ward Rat ? Nope. More money spent on the freeloaders.
Allentown. City Without Limits.(on the number of ways they coddle the lowlifes)
A-town Observer

Bethlehem, PA

#14 Oct 26, 2012
silly rabbit wrote:
<quoted text>
AO AO if you are so observiant, you would see the issues that I am writting about¿
The main issues are fixing the dilapidated residential housing within the downtown areas. The blighted areas are getting worse as we type. I know you want me to say educational, but I disagree.
A-town Observer

Bethlehem, PA

#15 Oct 26, 2012
get out wrote:
<quoted text>
It wasn't used your way, was it Ward Rat ? Nope. More money spent on the freeloaders.
Allentown. City Without Limits.(on the number of ways they coddle the lowlifes)
I would like to see the blighted areas renovated that are in close proximity of our new revitalized downtown. I have no issue about making more public houses, but do they really need to make them 3 or 4 star units? I don't understand the logic. The place looks like a country club.
A-town Observer

Bethlehem, PA

#16 Oct 26, 2012
Alientown wrote:
<quoted text>
Remember Cabrini Green . The gangs knocked walkways thru the walls into neighbors dwellings and then charged them protection $ so they would have safe access to their dwelling . It was eventually leveled .
Yes I have researched Cabrini Gardens, but Allentown Public Housing is not even close to the low standards of Chicago's.......... Your point is moot.
Alientown

Allentown, PA

#17 Oct 26, 2012
A-town Observer wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes I have researched Cabrini Gardens, but Allentown Public Housing is not even close to the low standards of Chicago's.......... Your point is moot.
Did I say Cabrini Gardens ???? ans : No
Alientown

Allentown, PA

#18 Oct 26, 2012
A-town Observer wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes I have researched Cabrini Gardens, but Allentown Public Housing is not even close to the low standards of Chicago's.......... Your point is moot.
Try Cabrini Green , Chicago . Wikipedia
Alientown

Allentown, PA

#19 Oct 26, 2012
A-town Observer wrote:
<quoted text>
I would like to see the blighted areas renovated that are in close proximity of our new revitalized downtown. I have no issue about making more public houses, but do they really need to make them 3 or 4 star units? I don't understand the logic. The place looks like a country club.
what do you expect them to live in row homes ? They tried that and the walls were knocked down to make the traffic less visible .
silly rabbit

Flourtown, PA

#20 Oct 26, 2012
Follow the money, alot goes to local politics¿
A-town Observer

Bethlehem, PA

#21 Oct 26, 2012
Alientown wrote:
<quoted text>
what do you expect them to live in row homes ? They tried that and the walls were knocked down to make the traffic less visible .
I don't think you know what your talking about. Yeah I expect them to live in row homes like almost every other housing project in America. No need to put them up in luxurious new construction units with central air and top of the line amenities. Public housing is not supposed to be better living conditions then 90 percent of the city. Doesn't make common sense does it?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Allentown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 12 min Nostrilis Waxmoron 1,156,063
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 1 hr Brian_G 307,097
What's the best way to help an elderly dog? (May '09) 13 hr Sam 18
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 13 hr L Morales 71,257
4 parked vehicles smashed up by car in Allentow... Thu silly rabbit 1
Two shot in Hazleton Dec 24 Xmas eve 50
Family still waiting for justice a year after m... Dec 23 silly rabbit 1

Allentown News Video

Allentown Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Allentown People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Allentown News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Allentown

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 6:08 am PST