Saucon Valley Teachers To Vote On Fin...

Saucon Valley Teachers To Vote On Final School Board Offer: Sch...

There are 134 comments on the The Morning Call story from Aug 6, 2009, titled Saucon Valley Teachers To Vote On Final School Board Offer: Sch.... In it, The Morning Call reports that:

The leadership of the Saucon Valley Education Association has decided to present the school board's "final" contract offer to rank-and-file teachers for an up or down vote.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Storm

Catasauqua, PA

#1 Aug 6, 2009
Finally.
wow

Allentown, PA

#2 Aug 6, 2009
I have a feeling they will vote it down, sadly. They are doubtless going to be asked by their leadership to "draw a line in the sand," for the sake of other unions in the state. That's fine for them. But what about the kids? I was there when the first strike happened in Saucon Valley a year ago, and I can't bear to think what will happen if we have "Round 2" in September. The community will really be torn apart. And all because of greed. So sad.
Justin Opinion

Allentown, PA

#3 Aug 6, 2009
It will pass by a wide margin. The next step is to replace the "leadership" of the SVEA.
bagowind

Gladstone, NJ

#4 Aug 6, 2009
If they vote it down. FIRE THEM ALL! I would be willing to wait for new teachers to take their places. Extend the summer recess and keep the kids in school later next spring in order to get the 183 days. I am willing to bet we would not have to wait long to fill all the positions with better teachers than what we have now and less greedy ones to boot! We are being held hostage by this group of pirates. This should end now!
SV Parent

Allentown, PA

#5 Aug 6, 2009
wow wrote:
I have a feeling they will vote it down, sadly. They are doubtless going to be asked by their leadership to "draw a line in the sand," for the sake of other unions in the state. That's fine for them. But what about the kids? I was there when the first strike happened in Saucon Valley a year ago, and I can't bear to think what will happen if we have "Round 2" in September. The community will really be torn apart. And all because of greed. So sad.
Perhaps if they turn it down the Board will come to its senses and go back to the table. Anything but a strike. Sounds like Ralph drew the line in the sand. Too bad for us.
SV Tired

Allentown, PA

#6 Aug 6, 2009
bagowind wrote:
If they vote it down. FIRE THEM ALL! I would be willing to wait for new teachers to take their places. Extend the summer recess and keep the kids in school later next spring in order to get the 183 days. I am willing to bet we would not have to wait long to fill all the positions with better teachers than what we have now and less greedy ones to boot! We are being held hostage by this group of pirates. This should end now!
We can't fire the teachers. Come up with a realistic solution. Why is the board being so greed? The teachers are losing money even in their own proposal. How far is the board willing to go to save us more money? The amount we will save when the teachers are out on strike isn't worth it. Settle this. There are board members that want a strike so they can save more money. Get real.$50,000 in lawyer fees?! AND there are numerous grievances filed which will cost us more money. Get it done.
seriously

Cherryville, PA

#7 Aug 6, 2009
Grumble and groan...
The truth is, when they agree to that 3.5%, don't think for one minute every teacher gets that as a raise. In fact, depending on what level a teacher is on, they sometimes barely make 1%. The 3.5,etc, incorporates the whole group, and typically the starting salaries (those newer and better teachers as some of you say) are the ones who reap the true benefits.
jmcgary

Langhorne, PA

#8 Aug 6, 2009
I agree with bagowind! Fire them all! They are the reason our taxes are high and rising. Hire all the new college grads who would be happy to have a job and can utilize all of the new technology and learning they received in college. And they would be happy with whatever is being offered as a salary. The current teachers are nothing but a bunch of greedy ba....ds.
Holden C

Schnecksville, PA

#9 Aug 6, 2009
Stay strong Saucon teachers. Despite all the "haters" who post on here and the smear campaign the Morning Call does on teachers there is a lot of support for you in the Lehigh Valley and we are pulling for you. Of course, people will see the listed raises and think you guys are going to be making out on this contract but there are educated people out here who realize that what you see isn't always what it really works out to. When you factor in what your increased medical will cost I hope you guys will still see at least a few extra dollars in your paycheck. I always love how this fact is never reported. When it is all said and done you will be lucky to see an extra 40 bucks in your paycheck every two weeks. Keep fighting the good fight and stay strong. Don't let the school board, Morning Call or "haters" hold you down.
Incredible

Chicago, IL

#10 Aug 6, 2009
So now, after backing themselves into a corner, Ms Demko and her band of economic illiterati are now going to FINALLY present an offer to their membership to vote on. If I were in that association, I would fire her and the rest of them immediately for misrepresentation, malfeasance, and general ignorance.

Isn't it incredibly ironic that the first offer that the membership actually gets to vote on is the WORST offer of all? Would you want Demko and her band of incompetents representing YOU? Even Congress does better than this occasionally.
Incredible

Chicago, IL

#11 Aug 6, 2009
This is a good point. Let's say for example that the teachers accept this and the district 'saves' money. Care to bet that taxes will still go up? This is definitely not a one-sided issue, even though the teachers are the ones taking the majority of the flak here. I'd fire the Board too for wasting the taxpayers money on a slob like Ellis Katz. He is a professional instigator who works for many of the local boards and has an interest in dragging these things out forever so he can get rich.
SV Tired wrote:
<quoted text>
We can't fire the teachers. Come up with a realistic solution. Why is the board being so greed? The teachers are losing money even in their own proposal. How far is the board willing to go to save us more money? The amount we will save when the teachers are out on strike isn't worth it. Settle this. There are board members that want a strike so they can save more money. Get real.$50,000 in lawyer fees?! AND there are numerous grievances filed which will cost us more money. Get it done.
Sam

Emmaus, PA

#12 Aug 6, 2009
Why not peg the base increase to inflation plus 1%?
Sam

Emmaus, PA

#13 Aug 6, 2009
@Seriously - I suppose I should read the contract, if possible, to know if what you said is true.....

I thought negotiations were over 'base' increases for all members.
SV Tired

Allentown, PA

#14 Aug 6, 2009
Incredible wrote:
So now, after backing themselves into a corner, Ms Demko and her band of economic illiterati are now going to FINALLY present an offer to their membership to vote on. If I were in that association, I would fire her and the rest of them immediately for misrepresentation, malfeasance, and general ignorance.
Isn't it incredibly ironic that the first offer that the membership actually gets to vote on is the WORST offer of all? Would you want Demko and her band of incompetents representing YOU? Even Congress does better than this occasionally.
Finally, someone admits the board has continually worsened their offer. I thought that was illegal?! The lawyer must LOVE this school board!
Lissa

Newtown, PA

#15 Aug 6, 2009
Sometimes you have to be grateful you HAVE a job.....this is starting to get disgusting......I personally think there are many more teachers out there looking for a job...Unions are sick in my opinion.
An Angry Parent

Bethlehem, PA

#16 Aug 6, 2009
Fire Them All!!!! These teachers are nothing but glorified babysitters. They b**** and moan about their pay. To me they are overpaid they get off 3 months a year, off for every holiday, all weekends, have sick days and they dont event put in an honest 40 hours a week. Im sick of hearing about how these teachers are unsung heros in America, that is bull to me.
Lissa

Newtown, PA

#17 Aug 6, 2009
seriously wrote:
Grumble and groan...
The truth is, when they agree to that 3.5%, don't think for one minute every teacher gets that as a raise. In fact, depending on what level a teacher is on, they sometimes barely make 1%. The 3.5,etc, incorporates the whole group, and typically the starting salaries (those newer and better teachers as some of you say) are the ones who reap the true benefits.
I think they should be pretty darn happy they are getting a raise at all! In this economy many of us are holding on to our jobs WITHOUT A PAY RAISE and here you have a group of teachers whining that their raise isn't enough! Come on folks, everyone is hurting right now financially, my family took on a third job mainly because we know the cost of electricity and oil is going up and I want to be sure I'm not scraping the kettle clean over the winter. My husband has had his job for 20 years this year and is now 1 1/2 years without a pay raise, but grateful he has a JOB! Reality never seems to make it to the teachers....never understood that.
carelessfills

Fort Wayne, IN

#18 Aug 6, 2009
seriously wrote:
Grumble and groan...
The peaking out a salary at a plateau once you reach the top of your profession is not unusual for any profession. The only way to avoid this is to get merit pay for taking on addition responsibility or having accomplishments that far exceed expecatations for the job, which the union will not allow.
Holy Cow

Emmaus, PA

#19 Aug 6, 2009
I hope they don't accept it and the school board rescinds the offer so they can make a realistic lower offer. When Oprah talks about teachers in this country being underpaid, she certainly is not talking about the teachers in Saucon Valley. The PSEA is very disappointed in Quakertown for their 'give backs'. They want Saucon Valley to stand for something. I want them to go down in flames. They have taken this way too far under the guise that they 1. deserve something most of us don't get and 2. that they are already underpaid.
Geesh!!
carelessfills

Fort Wayne, IN

#20 Aug 6, 2009
Incredible wrote:
This is true. SVEA membership has not been well served by Demko, uniserve, or PSEA. Just think, they could have walked away with 4.5% a year ago!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Allentown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Joy 1,582,417
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 13 min weaponX 316,347
News Two more arrested in fatal Allentown home invas... 20 min weaponX 3
News Movies: LGBT Film Series to be shown at three L... 2 hr TomInElPaso 6
News Naked trucker arrested on Airport Road : The Mo... (Apr '07) Sun weaponX 81
News Celebrate with Allentown's Pride in the Park Fe... Sun Xavier 2
News WFMZ needs updated commentary (Apr '09) Aug 16 Thom-29 29

Allentown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Allentown Mortgages