"No Kill" Volunteers Protest the Lehi...

"No Kill" Volunteers Protest the Lehigh Co. Humane Society

There are 104 comments on the WFMZ story from Aug 15, 2009, titled "No Kill" Volunteers Protest the Lehigh Co. Humane Society. In it, WFMZ reports that:

People representing two Lehigh Valley-based animal action groups were at odds today in Allentown.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WFMZ.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
bill from easton

Upper Darby, PA

#1 Aug 16, 2009
are you kidding me, this is how our counrty works. if you are anyone else you go to jail for hurting or killing an animal like mike vick but it.s alright to kill an animal if you work at these kind of place. these people come in to our homes take our pets because they say we have to many ,than they take them to kill them how is this rigth face it people they will do anything they what but its a real sad shame that these inocent animals are dieing because of it god will take care of it "promise" when is our govermemt gonna help us with these laws , opps i forgot they are the ones doing it so i guess these animals are dead
Dog Foster Mom

Oley, PA

#2 Aug 16, 2009
I understand both sides. But what people have to understand is that it isn't the humane society's fault. The fault lies in the Puppy Mills and the people who don't care about their animals and discard them as trash. I am sure that no one at the Humane society wants to do this but where are they to go with the 100s of animals that are left all the time.
Stop Protestors

Pittston, PA

#3 Aug 16, 2009
This is a joke, maybe these people should put their energy into something worthwile instead of the "protest du joir". Get a life. Next week you'll probably see the same people, being paid, to protest about the global warming farce, or protesting an apple farm because the apples are injured during the harvesting process...
k1ll people not pets

Moosic, PA

#4 Aug 16, 2009
if the people who don't take care of their pets were k1lled, be less cats and dogs suffering in shelters.

Since: Mar 07

Bethlehem, PA

#5 Aug 16, 2009
If they REALLY wanted to ACCOMPLISH something, the "No Kill Protesters" would become the adoption arm of the Humane Society. Do everything necessary to find homes for these animals, instead of standing out there with your signs, doing nothing to offer a solution.

Bethlehem, PA

#6 Aug 16, 2009
And while they're at it, bring in food and monetary donations to HELP the Humane Society.

I can't STAND when people just complain about something, offering to do nothing to correct the situation!
No Kill Lehigh Valley

Bethlehem, PA

#7 Aug 16, 2009
The recent vigil at the Lehigh County Humane Society was conducted by people from this community who feel strogly about the poor management and constant carnage that goes on there. These were not professional protesters and it is absurd to suggest that anyone was paid. Efforts have been made regularly to encourage the Humane Society to adopt programs and policies that would save lives. They have persistently refused to change their ways. For example, one idea that has been very effective in helping animals find homes is to take them out of the shelter, where many people won't go because it upsets them to be there, to an offsite facility where they can be seen by more people for adoption. The Humane Society has been invited to these events, but refuses to go. Why? Their response is that it "stresses the animal." Yesterday they were asked, "So you think it's less stressful on the animal just to kill them?" The response was "Yes." This is the mentality we are working with. Once again Bruce Fritch went on the air stating that they only kill sick animals. This is a blatant lie and can be attested to by many eye witnesses and also by the fact that they refuse to reveal their statistics. If they truly only killed sick animals and adopted out all the rest, they would have wonderful statistics and there would be no reason to keep them secret. Our group has tried to work with them and has been ignored. We know that thousands of healthy animals die there every year. We know that this does not have to happen. We are trying to save lives. There is no other agenda.

Bethlehem, PA

#8 Aug 16, 2009
The Humane Society LV says that they don't euthanize healthy animals, only ones that are suffering.

Whether or not that's true, there appears to be no proof of this activity, and the "protesters" haven't provided any.

Neither have any posters here.
No Kill Lehigh Valley

Bethlehem, PA

#9 Aug 16, 2009
Dennis Mac wrote:
And while they're at it, bring in food and monetary donations to HELP the Humane Society.
I can't STAND when people just complain about something, offering to do nothing to correct the situation!
You obviously are not familiar with our group. We Have done the folowing:
Organized 3 Operation Catsnip events during which we engaged local eveterinary hospitals who donated their time to spay and neuter cats at cost. Our last event in March of this year resulted in the spaying and neutering of over 500 cats in one day at very low cost.
Last Sept. we held Furry Friends' Fest. This was a low cost vaccination clinic and adoption event. It was held at the Bethlehem Minicipal Ice Rink. 7 rescues and 10 vendors of pet related products joined us at no cost to them. Over 485 people attended. Animals got homes and we provided a low cost vaccination service to the public. We will be holding this event again this year on Sept. 20th at the Bethlehem Municipal Ice Rink. Why don't you come and meet us. By the way, the LCHS was invited to attend, but refused.
Hound Hike was held in the Little Lehigh Parkway for the first time last year. We invited shelters and rescues to bring dogs to walk through the parkway. Individuals brought their for a fee. All proceeds went to out low cost spay/neuter program. This year we are having this event on Oct. 10th and will include a 5K race. All proceeds will go to the spay/neuter program. The LCHS was invited to attend last year and refused. We will invite them again this year. You're invited too.
We held our second silent auction and anniversary celebration for ourselves last April - yes we are only 2 years old. We raised $4,000.00 for our low cost spay/neuter program and newest initiative - help with veterinary care costs for people unable to pay for needed proceedures.
The money we raise all goes to do the things that the Humane Society should be doing but doesn't. We have disbursed over $11,000.00 since this March to help people to get their pets spayed and neutered and to help with vet care costs. We also have an e mail group - quite large and growing -([email protected] m)We regularly get requests for help placing animals - especially from people who don't want to take them to the Humane Society - and we send their e mails out to a large group of people. Many little miracles have occurred as a result. And, we are an all volunteer group. We have jobs and families and yet we put in untold numbers of hours to organiza and put on these events with one goal - saving lives.
So, as you can see, we are not just sitting around doing nothing. As far as bringing food there, there is an Animal Food Bank of the Lehigh Valley, which is always willing to help any person or rescue facility. The director of that group was with us yesterday. She mentioned that the LCHS has never contacted them for help. Oh, and by the way, did you know that the LCHS has $1.7 million in the bank? You can view thei 990 - tax return - by going on Guidestar.com
No Kill Lehigh Valley

Bethlehem, PA

#10 Aug 16, 2009
Dennis Mac wrote:
The Humane Society LV says that they don't euthanize healthy animals, only ones that are suffering.
Whether or not that's true, there appears to be no proof of this activity, and the "protesters" haven't provided any.
Neither have any posters here.
Once again, you are wrong. Their is plenty of proof - eye witness testimoney. A U Tube video is in process. As I noted in an ealier post, if they were truly killing only very sick animals, they would have fabulous statistics. They take in over 6000 animals a year. If they were adopting out allbut the very sick, they would have a steady stream of animals leaving the place - or they would be very crowded. They have been asked many times to reveal their statistics and they always refuse. Why? If they are doing such a good job, why would they refuse to show their numbers? You seem to have a lot of misinformation.
David Mulzet

AOL

#11 Aug 16, 2009
I was once an employee at the Lehigh County Human Society. My experiences there caused me to wake up with nightmares. I knew I had to quit. The method they use to kill the animals is inhumane. The humane police officer I worked with had no compassion for the animals. He would stick a needle into their hearts without anesthetizing them first. Then he would toss them into a cage where they would stumble around and bang their heads. It was sickening to watch.

Animals are regularly killed there who could be helped. I became fond of a cat who was kept in the back room because he was sneezing. He received no veterinary care and was scheduled to be killed. The reason they gave for killing him was that he was sneezing and that they needed room. I was able to adopt him in the nick of time. He is now healthy and the best cat I ever had. He loves to lie on his back and is very affectionate. He would be dead today if I hadn't rescued him.

The Lehigh Co. Humane Society is not providing the animals in their shelter with the care they need. Instead, they use minor illness as an excuse to kill them so that they can take in more who will also be killed. An animal is safer on the street than it is in the Humane Society. The administration there needs to leave so that people with compassion and ideas can take over and make it a no kill shelter.
David Mulzet

AOL

#12 Aug 16, 2009
First of all his previous owner didn't care if he got out or not or cared if he got picked up and taken to the shelter....The cat that I saved from being Euthanized didn't suffer....he only had the sniffles which people there refused and didn't give him the time to giove him his antibotics to make him better otherwise he would've been an adoptable cat.
question

Allentown, PA

#13 Aug 16, 2009
If the LCHS will get 20 new animals at their facility today (hence the white flags)(as quoted by a staff member) and all the cages are full today and then get 20 new animals the day after that, and after that, etc. etc.... then where are all those animals?

Hmmmmm?
BUBBLE THE BUBBLE

Paterson, NJ

#14 Aug 16, 2009
TO ALL the >>NO KILL LEHIGH VALLEY<<< FOLKS START BY PUTTING YOUR MONEY UP FOR THESE ANIMALS IF YOU ALL ARE TRUE TO YOUR WORD AND ACTIONS.
Bubba

Douglassville, PA

#15 Aug 16, 2009
I have a simple solution:

1. Adopt the pets and spent your money to keep them. Instead of pushing your will on others, show us how its done.

OR

2. STFU, move on and find a new hobby.

What is next? Sally Struthers will be on TV with a "Help the pets" commercial?

Bethlehem, PA

#16 Aug 16, 2009
No Kill Lehigh Valley wrote:
<quoted text>
Once again, you are wrong. Their is plenty of proof - eye witness testimoney. A U Tube video is in process.

--------

If they are doing such a good job, why would they refuse to show their numbers? You seem to have a lot of misinformation.

It's not that I have "misinformation", I have NO information, save what you say and what they say.
I thought I was pretty clear on that point.

If they draw public funding, why aren't you entitled to their records under the sunshine act?

I will wait for your YouTube video. I hope you were able to get inside with a hidden camera, as many others have in the food industry. But if it's going to be commentary from disgruntled former employees, or hearsay, that wont cut it.

I wish your organization - AND the Humane Society all the best. I truly do.
Frankie

Allentown, PA

#17 Aug 16, 2009
The manager said it herself. Any animal that is brought to the Lehigh Co. shelter is "taken care of" immediately! Isn't that just a euphemism for being put down? Shameful that they think they can pull the wool over our eyes on this one!
allentown resident

Whitehall, PA

#18 Aug 16, 2009
lies by lchs, i use to work there i went home everynite and cried it was awful! on one occasion they had myself and another employee go upstairs to the hot sweaty attic where dogs are stored in small cages, we were to clean it per manager.

while we were upstairs they were killing all the dogs in the downstairs pens that people do not see, they had us go upstairs so we didnt see what they were doing. they were not sick animals, they just had too many dogs at that time thats why they killed at least 10 dogs that afternoon.

i quit that job and am a major supporter of them being a no kill shelter, granted the community needs to care for there animals and at least help donate items so the shelter can care for these poor animals.

i seen behind the scenes of lchs and it was awful i am a donor of the shelter so before anyone complains i feel they should be taking action to help those animals like donating money to help build a larger facility and feed all the animals as well as give medical attention etc
allentown resident

Whitehall, PA

#19 Aug 16, 2009
David Mulzet wrote:
I was once an employee at the Lehigh County Human Society. My experiences there caused me to wake up with nightmares. I knew I had to quit. The method they use to kill the animals is inhumane. The humane police officer I worked with had no compassion for the animals. He would stick a needle into their hearts without anesthetizing them first. Then he would toss them into a cage where they would stumble around and bang their heads. It was sickening to watch.
Animals are regularly killed there who could be helped. I became fond of a cat who was kept in the back room because he was sneezing. He received no veterinary care and was scheduled to be killed. The reason they gave for killing him was that he was sneezing and that they needed room. I was able to adopt him in the nick of time. He is now healthy and the best cat I ever had. He loves to lie on his back and is very affectionate. He would be dead today if I hadn't rescued him.
The Lehigh Co. Humane Society is not providing the animals in their shelter with the care they need. Instead, they use minor illness as an excuse to kill them so that they can take in more who will also be killed. An animal is safer on the street than it is in the Humane Society. The administration there needs to leave so that people with compassion and ideas can take over and make it a no kill shelter.
i cannot remember the guys name but the same guy who killed them as you spoke of is the guy who told me and another employee to go upstairs, you can also can tell the public about the areas they are not permitted to enter. the upstairs by the large dog pens, there are at least 20 dogs upstairs in the sweltering heat in small cages, or the back pens behind the large dog areas, the cat rooms in back hallways which basically are the waiting chambers to be put to sleep and yes if one sneezes they get bumped to the front of the line
No Kill Lehigh Valley

Bethlehem, PA

#20 Aug 16, 2009
It is very important to understand the meaning of the word "euthansia." According to Webster's ditionary, the meaning of this word is "The intentional causing of a painless and easy death to a patient suffering from a painful or incurable disease." No Kill Lehigh Valley does not oppose euthanasia. No one who cares about animals wants to leave them to suffer. What goes on at the LCHS is not euthanasia, it is killing. They are blatently lying when they state that they kill only sick animals. While they refuse to produce their statistics, their "rendering bill" (cost of disposing dead bodies) was $25,000.00. It is inconceivable that the majority of animals that go in there are so sick that they require true euthanasia. This word is used by them as a euphenism for killing and there is trememndous confusion as a result. There is ample testimony by workers and volunteers that the animals that are killed there are almost all healthy and adoptable. I spoke with an employee of the LCHS at a conference on compassion fatique a few years ago. He informed me that he had personally killed 75 cats the day before he left for the conference. Are we to believe that they were all deathly ill? Come on, look at the numbers and then think a bit. And the news agencies should get the definition of the words they use straight!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Allentown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min USAsince1680 1,508,778
40 Below Regains Liquor License (May '15) 4 min Garett 12
News Allentown councilman proposes tougher fine for ... (Apr '07) 16 min silly rabbit 4
News One dead after Allentown night club shooting 21 min silly rabbit 1
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 5 hr silly rabbit 313,657
News 10 arrested in relation to prescription fraud i... 5 hr silly rabbit 1
Allentown car wash gets new life 9 hr silly rabbit 16

Allentown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Allentown Mortgages