Guns on Campus: Bills would allow con...

Guns on Campus: Bills would allow concealed weapons on Texas co...

There are 589 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Mar 29, 2009, titled Guns on Campus: Bills would allow concealed weapons on Texas co.... In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

John Woods sometimes sits in a classroom at the University of Texas and wonders what would happen if somebody walked in and started shooting.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 30
Next Last
non

Dixon, IL

#1 Mar 29, 2009
What a raging hyper-moron.

And some strawman 'what if's' to go along, too:

"...students and faculty will live in fear of classmates and colleagues, not knowing who might pull a gun over a drunken dorm argument or a poor grade."

Utter nonsense as usual.
RobbieK

Austin, TX

#2 Mar 29, 2009
But this is Texas, Mr. Woods. We are more action oriented when it comes to firearms because we didn't grow up on the soft East Coast. Anyone who is against self protection with a firearm is a reactionary in their own regard. We need to stop letting people in their 20's who have absolutely no clue pressuring anyone on personal or national security issues.
Choo Choo Charlie

AOL

#3 Mar 29, 2009
Sadly, I live in the People's {make that Daley's} Republic of Illinois - one of only two states in the entire Union where the law abiding are expected be willing victims in waiting.
You'd be amazed at how many otherwise law abiding folks around these parts have scoffed at these absurd 'gun-violence' laws. Well over half of the business owners, lawyers, doctors, accountants, bankers, stock-brokers, firemen and ordinary moms in my circle conceal and carry. It's ALWAYS better to be tried by 12 than to be carried by 6; and sheer contempt for the law caused by absurd laws around here [fois gras ban, trans-fat oils ban, firearms ban, etc] have a very negative effect. When pillars of the community are forced - by simple common sense, to break the law, somethings are VERY wrong indeed.
Lock 'n load and be prepared, or as sheep, prepare to be fleeced as a victim in waiting.
Anyhwhere that doesn't require I go through a metal detector to enter gets my free civilian provided law enforcement / chaos mitigating protection.
Screw you, Richie, baby!
A Liberal

Birmingham, AL

#4 Mar 31, 2009
It is a terrible idea to allow guns, concealed or not on and in our colleges and universities.
Nervous in TX

United States

#5 Apr 1, 2009
So let me get this straight: Texas is a state full of cocky conservative people who think they're better then everybody else because they're Texans, and now they get to carry guns and be police?
LOL!!!! I think they should do it! Why not? While they're at it they can change the name of the campus to Auschwitz...
Having lived in this state for 15 years, seeing how residents become violently retarted at the slightest hint of new ideas or progress, I think this will be a very interesting social experiment indeed. Screw going fowards in time, lets go backwards to the days of the Wild West!
Douva

Austin, TX

#6 Apr 1, 2009
Anyone who wants to learn the FACTS of this issue should visit this site:

http://www.StudentsForConcealedCarryOnCampus....
Witnessthetruth

Live Oak, FL

#7 Apr 1, 2009
Legal carry gun owners could have prevented the recent spate of on campus murders at the hands of madmen. Since every campus across the board advertised "No Guns" this was an open invitation to the predators who knew that they could kill with total abandon. Look how the police reacted in Colorado. They stood outside, taking cover from behind their cars, and waited until the shooting stopped. Not one big hero cop went inside to stop the killing, not with their fat public pension checks in the offing. If you go back to the Texas tower shooting, it was local citizens that kept the sniper pinned down until the police could gather their forces. If you haven't seen it, you should watch the documentary on the Texas tower rampage. Especially, if you are one of those idiot liberals with your head in the sand. Regarding the modern campus, let's forego the "candle burning feel good rites" after a mass murder has been committed. Let's just stop the madmen in their tracks, instead of making a body count after the fact.
Richard Harris

United States

#8 Apr 1, 2009
Considering that campus leaders and university encourage the use of drugs/alcohol at all hours, allow the mentally ill to be in school without requiring medical supervision, let anyone on campus from the surrounding neighborhood, and generally seek to disarm campus security, then every student should be allowed to carry.
Budd

Monroe, WI

#9 Apr 4, 2009
And yet no one has satisfied my curiosity as to why all these "deranged" gunmen always choose places where they are guaranteed a herd of unarmed people. Many of these men HAD TIME TO RELOAD.

For those with no imagination let me show you how a shooting might happen if there were armed students.

Man comes in and says "you're all gonna die!" and starts shooting.

Man shoots one or two people..or if someone is on the ball maybe never gets that far before 7 students pull out the guns that they have been trained to use and end it right there.

If you don't want the right to defend yourself then fine but don't deny the rest of us that choice.
Witnessthetruth

High Springs, FL

#10 Apr 4, 2009
Once again a madman chose an undefended place in a strict gun control state, New York. Only a Liberal would think that this is a coincidence, when in fact it is to be expected, until such time that the crazy killers know that people have the means to protect themselves. The incident took place in just a few seconds. When the heavily armed police arrived, all they could do was stand around mostly, while some cops evacuated other people in the area. When seconds count the police are minutes away and when they do finally get there, they conduct job one, PROTECT THEMSELVES. Until people take responsibility to protect their own lives they will remain nothing more than helpless victims waiting to be killed. The madmen killers have that figured out, why can't the Liberals?

Alz

Since: Oct 08

Chicago

#11 Apr 4, 2009
A Liberal wrote:
It is a terrible idea to allow guns, concealed or not on and in our colleges and universities.
No. A better way to say it:

"It is a terrible idea to allow liberalism, concealed or not on and in our colleges and universities."

Guns are inanimate objects, too.
Gaelic Sookie

United States

#12 Apr 4, 2009
Kaine is one BIG disappointment in Virginia.
If KAINE EVER allows this in Virginia, good gawd.
He ignores the First Amendment, and IF HE applies this decadent idea after the Tech incident, he can forget politics. Say no to liberalism.

No, they NEED BETTER SECURITY. Trained and knowledgable about guns and laws. How many students will know this, really.?? How will they be checked and qualified? By the taxpayers?

Albeit, I am sure there are quite a few students who are trained in arts of war, gun savvy....
But, how many are NOT, and have hyper attacks as Texas?

Kaine DO NOT go there.
Witnessthetruth

High Springs, FL

#13 Apr 4, 2009
Alz wrote:
<quoted text>
No. A better way to say it:
"It is a terrible idea to allow liberalism, concealed or not on and in our colleges and universities."
Guns are inanimate objects, too.
Are you aware that many of the Vietnam era draft dodgers that ran off to Canada (later pardoned by Jimmy Carter) obtained teaching jobs in universities across the country? The college campus is a perfect place to hide out but continue to poison minds. The university creed doesn't question left wing nut jobs and in fact, embraces all traitors as essential to keeping liberal influence strong in many areas, especially within the drive-by media. One more very revealing question is to ask if you have ever met someone who admitted that they were a traitor that ran-off to Canada? If these traitors are so proud of their views, why don't they come forth? Hiding within Ivy Halls is the cowards way. The question is therefore answered.

Alz

Since: Oct 08

Chicago

#14 Apr 4, 2009
Witnessthetruth wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you aware that many of the Vietnam era draft dodgers that ran off to Canada (later pardoned by Jimmy Carter) obtained teaching jobs in universities across the country? The college campus is a perfect place to hide out but continue to poison minds. The university creed doesn't question left wing nut jobs and in fact, embraces all traitors as essential to keeping liberal influence strong in many areas, especially within the drive-by media. One more very revealing question is to ask if you have ever met someone who admitted that they were a traitor that ran-off to Canada? If these traitors are so proud of their views, why don't they come forth? Hiding within Ivy Halls is the cowards way. The question is therefore answered.
Oh, I know about these people.

They are cowards to us because their entire belief system isn't normal. We see them as cowards and traitors and they see themselves as helping.

As we have all seen. their ideas never help anyone. Just look at the inner cities where their ideas have controlled things for over 40 years. About all we can say is that liberals' ideas have caused and foster hopelessness, despair and death.

Watch the video "How Modern Liberals Think" for an explantion:
youtube.com/watch...
Budd

Monroe, WI

#15 Apr 4, 2009
Alz...gotta disagree with you there. The worst policy for cities or rural areas has been Prohibition and that was NOT a liberal idea, although they were always too scared to lose votes to end it when they were in power.

Since: Aug 07

South Central Virginia

#16 Apr 4, 2009
Anyone who thinks it is a good idea to allow firearms on a college campus is an idiot.

Suicidal tendencies combined with raging male hormones (what are you dind with MY girl?) will make the occasional campus killer preferable.
arm everyone

Hampton, VA

#17 Apr 4, 2009
Give everyone a couple of guns, lots of ammo, then find out who is left standing. I'll bet all crime would drop, except murder.
Student

Seattle, WA

#18 Apr 4, 2009
okboston wrote:
Anyone who thinks it is a good idea to allow firearms on a college campus is an idiot.
Suicidal tendencies combined with raging male hormones (what are you dind with MY girl?) will make the occasional campus killer preferable.
Exactly. Do you have any idea what goes on every night in todays college dorms? Kids are constantly getting totally drunk and high and having sex with each other like jackrabbits! Just try mixing a bunch of guns in with that, and you'll have shootings going on all time.
Budd

Monroe, WI

#19 Apr 5, 2009
So the excuse for not allowing people to defend themselves is what now? You are forgetting that there are already around 300,000,000 guns in America already. You are SURROUNDED by them all the time. There are MILLIONS of Americans who carry concealed weapons on a daily basis and yet all your predictions of mayhem and horror never come true, except in places where guns are prohibited.

Stop confusing emotion with rational thinking and start looking objectively at the numbers and you will find that gun control INCREASES crime in every place it has been imposed. So if you don't want to carry the means to defend yourself then fine but don't demand that the rest of us give up that right just so you won't feel "uncomfortable."

We feel uncomfortable being sitting ducks.
snowman allentown PA

Nazareth, PA

#20 Apr 5, 2009
As much as I am for NO GUN control, giving one of these college kids a pea shooter is dangerous. Most of them have no common sense or morals. They come home and say this is what the professor said so it is true. With that remark, my son started paying for his college. He did turn out okay and the others learned from his mistake.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 30
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Allentown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Yeah 1,374,929
News Heroin addict steals toys from hospital gift sh... 4 hr silly rabbit 1
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 5 hr ThomasA 310,986
Not Hillary Please 12 hr YES TO HILLARY 5
Vote For Donald Trump 18 hr Richard Kranium 4
News Get furnace checked or face a fine (Nov '14) Mon silly rabbit 68
News 15th Street rental project goes before Allentow... Mon silly rabbit 5
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Allentown Mortgages