Parents: Bus rides too long for tots ...

Parents: Bus rides too long for tots -- themorningcall.com

There are 131 comments on the The Morning Call story from Oct 5, 2007, titled Parents: Bus rides too long for tots -- themorningcall.com. In it, The Morning Call reports that:

Parents of East Penn School District kindergarten students say their 5-year-olds are spending way too much time on the bus ride home -- often sitting bored and hungry for up to an hour despite living less than ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

kap

“Stop the insanity! ”

Since: Aug 07

Lehigh Valley, PA

#62 Oct 5, 2007
I agree on kids not being able to have "fun" at school anymore. My youngest just had to "flip a card" for punishment for playing tag at recess along with a few of his school buddies.

Macungie, PA

#63 Oct 5, 2007
Amused wrote:
"...often sitting bored and hungry for up to an hour despite living less than two miles from school."
If that's the case, then why don't the parents pick up the children? Yes, most have full-time jobs, but change your lunch hour and pick up the kid if the problem is that bad.
if the parents are so upset by this, then why don't they pick up the children themselves? If that's not an option, then move out the NY and NJ immigrants and all will be back to its fine self.
You know we are not all NY and NJ IMMIGRANTS. Alot of us were born and raised here. You all just ASSUME.

Macungie, PA

#64 Oct 5, 2007
allentown wrote:
Let the little pissants walk to school. They will learn a lot more respect instead of the parents complaining their little baby had to suffer. Screw that! And, for God sakes, don't let the little ones cut grass or shovel snow. They may learn some manners and responsibility.
OK idiot let 5 year olds walk to school. HELLO this is Kindergarten students they are talking about. Nev er has children huh???

Macungie, PA

#65 Oct 5, 2007
BikerGirl wrote:
<quoted text>
You are an idiot too. All you people on here bi***ing about this read another article. These are five year old children here not adults. Obviuosly you have no heart and no children and NO BRAINS! So read something else and save us all the aggrivation losers! Lets have you walk across 22 at 4:30pm!
I agree. They are ignorant fools. They must not have children or they would not talk this way. Maybe they would like to sit on a stinkin hot bus for one hour trying to hold their pee.

Macungie, PA

#66 Oct 5, 2007
Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
You are so fast to call others ignorant, but yet you prove that you don't have a clue AT ALL as to what you are talking about.
Rte. 22 does not have a thing to do with the bussing problem. As for being 5-year olds, I remember being that age and children DID walk to school. Today, parents baby their children WAY too much and therefore we are having a society of pansy-a$$ed wimps who can not thing for themselves, do things for themselves, and feel everything should be given to them.
Go out and hug a tree or something... You may also want to learn the proper definition of IGNORANT (as should MANY others in these comment areas).
You are really bitter huh...not much love from mommy and daddy????
BikerGirl

United States

#67 Oct 5, 2007
Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't say anything about the kids getting out at lunch, did I? Nope. I said that the parent can change THEIR lunch hour so they can pick up their child from school. It CAN be done. Almost ALL employers would be willing to work with their employees.
As for the NY and NJ people here LOWERING my taxes, what planet are you from? The taxes are MORE with them here. Gee, they build these $400,000 McMansions, property taxes go up and locals get screwed. You must be one of the immigrants from there.
Quit YOUR crying about a two mile ride turning into 20 miles. You told someone to follow a school bus to see the route. Well, since you obviously know the route, why don't you take that extra time to pick up your child instead of crying about the bus service?
It's the weak ones like YOU who are ruining society. You feel people OWE you service and if that service is just not right, you whine and gripe about it until you get it YOUR way. Welcome to life. Things will NOT always go your way. Don't like it? Tough. Suck it up and move along.
Things always do go my way that's where your wrong and for your info people don't take lunches at 3:20 when the children get out of school!
BikerGirl

United States

#68 Oct 5, 2007
SooooFunnny wrote:
<quoted text>I agree. They are ignorant fools. They must not have children or they would not talk this way. Maybe they would like to sit on a stinkin hot bus for one hour trying to hold their pee.
Wow glad someone else here has children these people are so cold and first to bi*** but they don't have children to self centered for them!
BikerGirl

United States

#69 Oct 5, 2007
Bar_keep wrote:
<quoted text>
Now we're reaching here with this comment. But it isn't worth arguing over. Any worthwhile mother wouldn't put her kid on a bus with known kidney problems to begin with. And I believe if the district knew about it, they would restrict the child to NOT ride the bus, or have to be signed up for VAST transport, or something similar.
I can see one solution to this problem. Parkland had gone through the same thing as well years ago and their solution was to split some routes in half and have a first trip and a second trip. The second trip just waited 30-40 mins longer to board until the first trip went out and back. Its worked fine.
The problem with parents dropping their kids and picking them up is it clogs the streets. Parkland HS was a joke in the morning...had all the back roads jammed because the main roads were worse.
I live across from a school. The cars ILLEGALLY line up down the street to drop their childen off. The road side says NO PARKING in BIG letters all the way down the street. On days I can't get out of my driveway because some inconsiderate mother has my driveway blocked, even though I asked the township to install a big DO NOT BLOCK DRIVEWAY sign for me and it does not help...I simply roll my window down and tell the woman...read the sign, move it or I'll drive over it. When you pull your truck within a 1/2" of the lady's fender...they move. They b1tch...but they move.
On days when they don't move I just hop on my handy-dandy cell phone and call the local police who drive down the road with lights flashing and on the PA...this is a NO PARKING area....move on. Amazing how fast mini-vans can move...lol...and how p1ssed mothers can get.
The moral of the story: I, or someone else, already pay taxes for your kid to ride the bus. By you driving you are wasting gas, time, and money...and clogging the streets. Take your kid on a few public bus rides to get him use to riding the bus and stop looking for excuses already.
I agree we are Northampton and the school is crazy in the am! Yes the children with problems should be taken a little more seriuos on the parents ends but these little children like my daughter who have no problems and still have to pee after the trip it's hard and not good for them. I know after sitting on a bumpy, overcrowed bus for a hiur i would need a bathroom myself. So all the people who sit here and say poor kids well do it sit on a bus for an hour!
Well said post :)

“Undulation Mania!”

Since: Dec 06

Allentown, PA

#70 Oct 5, 2007
SooooFunnny wrote:
<quoted text>I agree. They are ignorant fools. They must not have children or they would not talk this way. Maybe they would like to sit on a stinkin hot bus for one hour trying to hold their pee.
You're one of the main reasons why many kids are the way they are today... spoiled, coddled, mean, violent, bratty, an "everyone owes me" attitude, and "I don't have to abide by the rules because mommy and daddy will protect my precious butt" attitude... pathetic.

Like I said before, if your kids are so bored and hungry in less than an hour of riding a bus, stuff their pockets with candy and soda and invest in a $300 handheld video game... that should occupy them until their grueling ride is over. If your child pees him/herself while riding the bus, slap a pair of Pull Ups on their butt...

Macungie, PA

#71 Oct 5, 2007
No I would not call it spoiled it is called caring for your children and worrying about your children. By the way my children are too young for those hand held games. I do not give my children soda either. Im sure you are parent of the year though and give your children all that junk. I guess because I care for my children so I am spoiling them. You can think whatever you like. Maybe you are a parent that does not give a crap about your children.
LVMOM

Macungie, PA

#72 Oct 5, 2007
I think if the length of the bus ride is a problem then if possible drive the children back and forth to school. Im sure the children are too busy socializing anyway on the bus to really mind the long ride.

“Undulation Mania!”

Narberth, PA

#73 Oct 5, 2007
SooooFunnny wrote:
No I would not call it spoiled it is called caring for your children and worrying about your children. By the way my children are too young for those hand held games. I do not give my children soda either. Im sure you are parent of the year though and give your children all that junk. I guess because I care for my children so I am spoiling them. You can think whatever you like. Maybe you are a parent that does not give a crap about your children.
That's not caring... it's called coddling...

FYI... children all grown... one child studying to be a pharmacist, the other a geologist...

“Life is Good”

Since: Mar 07

North Whitehall

#74 Oct 5, 2007
I have friends who have a hearing-impaired daughter (5 years old). They live near Cabella's. The Lehigh Carbon Intermediate Unit buses their daughter from their home to the Coplay, because that is where the only teacher for the deaf in the area is. Imagine her bus ride, her parents aren't complaining, they are thankful she has the opportunity to have access to such a wonderful teacher.

It does surprise me that a kindergarten route is so long, but I think many buses are tied up with vo-tech runs at that time of day too.

Heck in kindergarten my son was so busy yapping with his friends, half the time the bus driver had to remind him to get off the bus. Also, I don't care if it was a two minute ride or a two hour ride, my son would be hungry either way.

“Life is Good”

North Whitehall

#75 Oct 5, 2007
Jenn wrote:
<quoted text>
Last year they had assigned kids to a.m./p.m. kindergarten according to where they lived in order to keep bus routes shorter. Apparently too many parents complained that they were being unfairly denied the opportunity to have their kids in a.m. kindergarten, so they quit doing that. They went to a system of asking for preference (80% apparently want a.m. kindergarten), and then drawing names from a hat to determine who gets a.m. kindergarten of those that requested it.
I actually thought it was a good idea...just figured they should rotate each year which neighborhoods got a.m. and which got p.m. so that no one could say that their neighborhood was being discriminated against. But hey, that's me...I wanted a.m. kindergarten, and got p.m....and had they been going with my thought of rotating neighborhoods my son would have gotten p.m. as well...
This is the reason I requested p.m. kindergarten (when I was in East Penn and you could pick). The a.m. kindergarten classes had 25-26 kids in them, my son's p.m. class had 15. Much nicer!

Now I'm in Parkland, so I have no idea when my daughter gets to that age what she gets, but as a SAHM I can go with the flow.

“Life is Good”

North Whitehall

#76 Oct 5, 2007
Anna from LV wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not caring... it's called coddling...
FYI... children all grown... one child studying to be a pharmacist, the other a geologist...
A geologist! how cool. You must be proud of both of them.
Chunky

Fogelsville, PA

#77 Oct 6, 2007
Pachacutec wrote:
<quoted text> Excellent post! I'd like for these parents to tell me exactly HOW their kids are being "traumatized." I'll tell you what will be traumatizing to these kids, it'll be when they get out there in the real world and find out that they are not the center of everyones' universe and no one else is going to spoil them and cater to their every whim and eliminate every single little minor inconvenience in their lives like Mommy and Daddy have been doing for them.
WELL SAID!

“Undulation Mania!”

Narberth, PA

#78 Oct 6, 2007
Eeyore wrote:
<quoted text>
A geologist! how cool. You must be proud of both of them.
Very!!:)
Steve

Allentown, PA

#79 Oct 7, 2007
PICK ON BUS DRIVER wrote:
GOOD GRIEF...I AM A BUS DRIVER...DO ANY OF YOU KNOW WHAT WE HAVE TO PUT UP WITH ON THE ROADS??
First off, if you cant handle the job QUIT! No one is forcing you to drive a bus, you chose that job.

Why do people cut off busses and try to get around them? For the same reason that this whole 45 minute bus ride exists! Anyone who's seen a school bus stop 5 times on a 1 mile stretch of road will agree with this. The Busses stop way too frequently. Explain to me why they have to be dropped off right at their driveway? Everytime a bus stops I see maybe 2 or 3 kids get off the bus. When I was in school the bus went from Bethlehem Township all the way to Asa Packer near Schoenersville RD. The trip took 30 mins. There is no excuse for the rides being that long for a 2 mile stretch when my bus could make a much longer trip in 30 mins. On average the # of kids getting on the bus at a time was 10 to 15.
Amused

United States

#80 Oct 8, 2007
SooooFunnny wrote:
I've already ridden a school bus for a 45-minute ride, but I never had to hold my pee. Why is that? Could it be that I was able to think for myself and had common sense to pee before I left the school? And, none of the school busses were air conditioned or anything, so I also had to sit in the 85-degree heat. So, how many young children do YOU have sitting on the bus, holding their pee on 85-degree days? If, even at kindergarten levels, they cannot think that they should go pee before they leave, then let them pee their pants on the bus. When the other kids laugh at them, I'd bet that they will leanr VERY quick to go before they leave school.

G'head and coddle and baby your kids. When they get older, without any common sense or being able to think for themselves, you can be like some of the parents out there who go on job interviews with their college-graduated children.

"They are ignorant fools." Aaaah, yes. One of the MANY fools in here who like to throw around that word like it's going out of style. Ignorance is NOT a bad thing, as you make it out to be. Unfortunately, I don't agree that the argumentive side is being done by "ignorant fools." Label me, and I will gladly label you.

Yup, I have compassion for a child and their problems, but what I don't have compassion for are the idiot parents who baby their children and think that their crap don't stink. Junior needs to think for him/herself. Junior needs to go outside and run around like a goof. If junior falls and scrapes his knee, spray it with some Bactine, put on a band-aid and get them outside to play more. No, don't ask who's property and get a lawsuit going.

Face it... Many parents these days are producing children that are weak, stupid, fat, and lazy. Why? Too many parents are over-protecting their children and doing everything for them. Too many parents don't want to be bothered by their children after a long, hard day at work. Too many parents are using the Internet and TV as a babysitter and not being responsible themselves. Too many parents are just too irresponsible.
amanda

Philadelphia, PA

#81 Oct 8, 2007
Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
I've already ridden a school bus for a 45-minute ride, but I never had to hold my pee. Why is that? Could it be that I was able to think for myself and had common sense to pee before I left the school? And, none of the school busses were air conditioned or anything, so I also had to sit in the 85-degree heat. So, how many young children do YOU have sitting on the bus, holding their pee on 85-degree days? If, even at kindergarten levels, they cannot think that they should go pee before they leave, then let them pee their pants on the bus. When the other kids laugh at them, I'd bet that they will leanr VERY quick to go before they leave school.
G'head and coddle and baby your kids. When they get older, without any common sense or being able to think for themselves, you can be like some of the parents out there who go on job interviews with their college-graduated children.
"They are ignorant fools." Aaaah, yes. One of the MANY fools in here who like to throw around that word like it's going out of style. Ignorance is NOT a bad thing, as you make it out to be. Unfortunately, I don't agree that the argumentive side is being done by "ignorant fools." Label me, and I will gladly label you.
Yup, I have compassion for a child and their problems, but what I don't have compassion for are the idiot parents who baby their children and think that their crap don't stink. Junior needs to think for him/herself. Junior needs to go outside and run around like a goof. If junior falls and scrapes his knee, spray it with some Bactine, put on a band-aid and get them outside to play more. No, don't ask who's property and get a lawsuit going.
Face it... Many parents these days are producing children that are weak, stupid, fat, and lazy. Why? Too many parents are over-protecting their children and doing everything for them. Too many parents don't want to be bothered by their children after a long, hard day at work. Too many parents are using the Internet and TV as a babysitter and not being responsible themselves. Too many parents are just too irresponsible.
Awesome post - this is the best post I have seen on here. Thanks!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Allentown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min ritedownthemiddle 1,263,070
News Animal agents searching Upper Milford kennel on... (Oct '08) 2 hr Zeusmom 206
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) Wed STO 310,327
News Group Including Youths Believed to Have Heroin ... (Oct '12) Jul 28 getting sick 2
allentown observer Jul 27 Richard Kranium 3
News Whatever happened to . . . Lorenzo the Tramp (Feb '08) Jul 27 Richard Kranium 8
News Pawlowski says he's staying put; Council consid... Jul 25 silly rabbit 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Allentown Mortgages