Parents: Bus rides too long for tots ...

Parents: Bus rides too long for tots -- themorningcall.com

There are 131 comments on the The Morning Call story from Oct 5, 2007, titled Parents: Bus rides too long for tots -- themorningcall.com. In it, The Morning Call reports that:

Parents of East Penn School District kindergarten students say their 5-year-olds are spending way too much time on the bus ride home -- often sitting bored and hungry for up to an hour despite living less than ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
have a nice day

Breinigsville, PA

#1 Oct 5, 2007
And...???? I went to Lower Macungie Elementary School (the new Kindergarten Center) and lived in Ancient Oaks (about 1-2 miles away). We got on the bus at 3:35 and never got home before 4:45.... This has always been the case and we all survived. If it's such a problem, pick up your kids yourself.
H Lilly

Newark, DE

#2 Oct 5, 2007
I would like to see some sort of oversight board for school bus issues -- my concern is the over crowding on many busses -- the norm is now to have 3 in each seat -- that hardly seems safe or comfortable for those long rides!
Amused

United States

#3 Oct 5, 2007
"...often sitting bored and hungry for up to an hour despite living less than two miles from school."

If that's the case, then why don't the parents pick up the children? Yes, most have full-time jobs, but change your lunch hour and pick up the kid if the problem is that bad.

if the parents are so upset by this, then why don't they pick up the children themselves? If that's not an option, then move out the NY and NJ immigrants and all will be back to its fine self.

“Allentown the all AmericanCity”

Since: Sep 07

Allentown, PA

#5 Oct 5, 2007
You should live here in Allentown. We have no school buses and have to either walk or take a public bus. If they walk they get harassed and all the dangers associated with being on the streets of this city. Be happy for what you have, even if the ride is long. Imagine if you had to live here in Allentown.
BikerGirl

United States

#6 Oct 5, 2007
have a nice day wrote:
And...???? I went to Lower Macungie Elementary School (the new Kindergarten Center) and lived in Ancient Oaks (about 1-2 miles away). We got on the bus at 3:35 and never got home before 4:45.... This has always been the case and we all survived. If it's such a problem, pick up your kids yourself.
Well then why pay school taxes your ignorant these are five year olds!
BikerGirl

United States

#7 Oct 5, 2007
allentown wrote:
Let the little pissants walk to school. They will learn a lot more respect instead of the parents complaining their little baby had to suffer. Screw that! And, for God sakes, don't let the little ones cut grass or shovel snow. They may learn some manners and responsibility.
You are an idiot too. All you people on here bi***ing about this read another article. These are five year old children here not adults. Obviuosly you have no heart and no children and NO BRAINS! So read something else and save us all the aggrivation losers! Lets have you walk across 22 at 4:30pm!
David1206

United States

#8 Oct 5, 2007
The parents, of course, could drive their children to school in the mornings and pick them up in the afternoons.

Since: Jul 07

Lehigh Valley, PA

#9 Oct 5, 2007
BikerGirl wrote:
You are an idiot too. All you people on here bi***ing about this read another article. These are five year old children here not adults. Obviuosly you have no heart and no children and NO BRAINS! So read something else and save us all the aggrivation losers! Lets have you walk across 22 at 4:30pm!
You are clueless, totally.

If the parents think the bus ride, which is under 2 miles, is too long for their kindergartener, then what's wrong with the parents getting off their butts, and picking their kid up? It is only a two mile drive for deity sake!

It isn't up to the school to solve every problem for these parents. If these parents can't successfully cope with this (solve this), what are they going to do later on as their kids become teens?
Marie

Whitehall, PA

#10 Oct 5, 2007
Let the parent's drive them then. Maybe 5 year olds are too young to be in school if it is so traumatic.
Tax dollars, yes, but let's be reasonable. Your taxes could skyrocket if micromanaging bus rides becomes an issue in East Penn.

“Undulation Mania!”

Since: Dec 06

Bethlehem, PA

#11 Oct 5, 2007
I must agree with the majority here... If a parent has a problem with their child riding on a bus for almost an hour they should pick them up at school.

Do these buses pick these children up and take them to school also? I didn't read about anyone complaining about the ride TO school, and it only stands to reason that if the bus is picking them up to go to school, they are using the same route to take them home. And before anyone bites my head off because they are only in school for 1/2 day and riding with kids in other grades, these children in kindergarten will be in first grade next year riding the same route. Will the parents still continue to complain?

As for the 3 tykes who wet their pants, I would be more concerned about a medical or emotional condition if it keeps happening. Or, if your child goes frequently, talk with the teacher about making sure they use the bathroom before they get on the bus.

“Undulation Mania!”

Since: Dec 06

Bethlehem, PA

#12 Oct 5, 2007
"It isn't up to the school to solve every problem for these parents. If these parents can't successfully cope with this (solve this), what are they going to do later on as their kids become teens?"

Scary thought... isn't it?

kap

“Stop the insanity! ”

Since: Aug 07

Lehigh Valley, PA

#13 Oct 5, 2007
BikerGirl wrote:
<quoted text>
First off if you would read the article you would see in PA school districts don't have to provide busing. They can make you find other transportation. Providing busing is doing "you" a favor.

We're fortunate to have our bus stop right in front of our house; however, in the mornings my kids would be the first pick up. With traffic that could be mean a 45 min bus trip for them. I choose to take them to school in the mornings. That means 2 trips each morning since they start at different times. After school they're the first stop from the school so they're only on the bus for 5-10 minutes.

So you see you do have a choice in the matter. Sure it's an inconvience to you to drive them, but if your child is that traumatized you have the power to change that.
Taxpayer

AOL

#14 Oct 5, 2007
Build more schools
Proof

San Jose, CA

#15 Oct 5, 2007
More suburban whine.
JDY

Allentown, PA

#16 Oct 5, 2007
If they live less than 2 miles from the school, they should be walking. But what parent would actually LET their kids walk to school anymore, heaven forbid kids leave the safety of the mini van, aka the parents rolling safe house. Parents, quit crying or do 1 of the following: 1. let your little cherubs WALK - most of them are probably overweight by now anyway and can use the exercise or 2. drive them yourself.
allentown mom

Allentown, PA

#17 Oct 5, 2007
Even our 5 year old kindergarten children don't have a bus so quit complaining. Our kids walk in the same 80 degree heat as your child rides the bus in.. also when your little 5 year old is riding the bus in January with snow and freezing tempartures, our children still walk. I walked all 12 years of school, I walked from the South side of Allentown to Dieruff many days when my parents didn't have the extra money for Lanta. You should be grateful for what you have.
have a nice day

Breinigsville, PA

#18 Oct 5, 2007
BikerGirl wrote:
<quoted text>
Well then why pay school taxes your ignorant these are five year olds!
Well, looks like the 12 year olds are weighing in... I have three children, 6,5, and 1. I drive my kids to and from school every day. That's three trips (1/2 day kindergarten). I have my own reasons for them not taking the bus, but you won't hear me complaining about it. If the kids can't go for an hour without having an accident, there are bigger problems for the parents to be concerned about. Someone is always going to be the "last stop" If it isn't working out for your child, get off your behinds and drive them or organize a carpool.

“BORN TO UNDULATE !!”

Since: Mar 07

Proud resident of the Valley

#19 Oct 5, 2007
Anna from LV wrote:
I must agree with the majority here... If a parent has a problem with their child riding on a bus for almost an hour they should pick them up at school.
Do these buses pick these children up and take them to school also? I didn't read about anyone complaining about the ride TO school, and it only stands to reason that if the bus is picking them up to go to school, they are using the same route to take them home. And before anyone bites my head off because they are only in school for 1/2 day and riding with kids in other grades, these children in kindergarten will be in first grade next year riding the same route. Will the parents still continue to complain?
As for the 3 tykes who wet their pants, I would be more concerned about a medical or emotional condition if it keeps happening. Or, if your child goes frequently, talk with the teacher about making sure they use the bathroom before they get on the bus.
Well said, Anna, and some good suggestions as well. This can be expected from a good mom.

My 6 yr old niece, who lives in the country, rides the bus 45 mins each way, every day. Yes, It took time to adjust. For the first two weeks each year, my brother and I took turns driving her to and from school while following the bus, with the driver and district's permission, so she would see the route. This gave her some comfort. Now at 10 yrs old, she suggested just this to a friend's mother the begining of this year because it helped her get use to the ride. I was amazed at her comment and suggestion. Now, after being ordained 'bus captain' by the driver, she sits with other students on the ride in and home that are afraid the first few days. She can't wait to board the bus (she is one of the first few on) and many times is ready 1/2 hour before the bus arrives.
Pachacutec

Fort Collins, CO

#20 Oct 5, 2007
Anna from LV wrote:
Excellent post! I'd like for these parents to tell me exactly HOW their kids are being "traumatized." I'll tell you what will be traumatizing to these kids, it'll be when they get out there in the real world and find out that they are not the center of everyones' universe and no one else is going to spoil them and cater to their every whim and eliminate every single little minor inconvenience in their lives like Mommy and Daddy have been doing for them.
Jane

Allentown, PA

#21 Oct 5, 2007
Poor kids!If I had to stay cooped up for an hour,I'd be ready to flip.
I'm an adult w/ good control.i pity the poor little ones who need to use a restroom and are forced to remain on a bus so long they wet themselves.
I was happy to see that one entire building was devoted entirely to a kindergarden.No worries about being bullied by a bigger kid on the bus or playground.
I hope the bus company can work out a better solution.
Would temporary kindergarden classes in a public building such as the Lower Macungie Township building be possible until the new elementary school is built?Some students who live closer could attend classes there thus reducing the total amount of kids the bus drivers have to pick up,making the trip shorter,it is hoped.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Allentown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min Cheech the Conser... 1,548,762
News Allentown woman sentenced to prison for $4M tax... 52 min weaponX 2
News Cops: Woman jailed for shooting near inattentivea 1 hr weaponX 5
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 2 hr Sam 314,710
News The best ways to cook asparagus 11 hr weaponX 8
News Severed-hand burglary accomplice takes plea deal 11 hr weaponX 2
News Penns dad sentenced after allowing daughter to ... 23 hr weaponX 9

Allentown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Allentown Mortgages