Local shelter was lax regarding 'Tiger Ranch'

Full story: The Morning Call

Regarding the March 17 article, ''SPCA seeks donations for cats rescued in raid'': I read with dismay, but not surprise, that the authorities had finally caught on to what was possibly going on at Tiger Ranch.

Comments (Page 107)

Showing posts 2,121 - 2,135 of2,135
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
kitkat

Canonsburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2012

Judged:

The Accomplices wrote:
When Judge Rangos heard about cats at Tiger Ranch, she ordered county sheriff's deputies to see for themselves. All cats were to be removed from the property under the terms of Marie's pre-sentence release.
When the deputies got to the property around lunchtime, they found cats.
But Detective Richard Manning testified they also encountered five of Marie's supporters - the same ones, Manning testified, who had been in the courtroom for her 9 a.m. hearing.
Almost all the doors around the Tiger Ranch complex had been opened, a fire was burning in a trash barrel and four to five cats were wandering the property, Manning said.
Manning said a man who identified himself as a caretaker said he was burning household trash stuffed in used cat food and cat litter bags. Manning said he saw fresh cat feces and about 15 empty food and litter bags in a garage, along with a bag of dog food.
At least three of the cats had names, Manning said, which Rangos said contradicted the defense's claims that they were feral.
"No matter how you spin this, at a minimum it's suspicious," Rangos said before revoking Marie's bond.
"How ridiculous to assume that there were five friends who met with her and came here with her by their own admission ... would race out to the property and have a bonfire.
"I leave it up to the prosecutors, but there could be criminal charges of tampering with evidence," Rangos said. "Whether or not it was done at (Marie's) behest, clearly it was done for her benefit."
Read more: The deal is over: Former Tiger Ranch owner's bond revoked - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/valleynewsdis...
Sounds like a cult to me. I mean they continued collecting cats for their leader while this case was still in court. What else could it be?
kitkat

Canonsburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2012

Judged:

HearIgoAgain wrote:
Exploiter Hoarder
-Most difficult or problematic type to deal with
-Acquires animals purely to serve own needs
-Tends to have sociopathic characteristics and/or personality
disorder
-Lacks empathy for people or animals; indifferent to
the harm caused to animals or people
-Tends toward extreme denial of the situation
-Rejects authority or any outsider’s legitimate concern
over animal care
-Believes his/her knowledge is superior to all others’;
adopts the role of expert with extreme need to control
-Has superficial charm and charisma – very articulate,
skilled in crafting excuses and explanations, and capable
of presenting an appearance that conveys believability
and competence to officials, the public, and the media
-Is manipulative and cunning
-Is self-concerned and narcissistic
-Lacks guilt, remorse or social conscience
-Acquires animals actively rather than passively
-Demonstrates predatory behavior – will lie, cheat,
steal without remorse and potentially has a plan to
use these tools to achieve own ends
-Plans to evade the law and beat the system, such as dispersing animals to other animal hoarders or friends
www.tufts.edu
This sounds just like a cult leader, too.
kitkat

Canonsburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2012

Judged:

Oh really wrote:
<quoted text>
Am I reading this last post correctly? "They were so weak from starvation that they could barely walk". Yet, a cat had the energy with it's ulcerated mouth to bite someone? We all know of one person present who ended up with an upper respiratory infection who was allergic to cats! I love intelligent people!
And, look, I think one of the followers is still trying to defend the leader. Amazing!
Oh really

Cheswick, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2012

Judged:

The all-new SHRINE CIRCUS, featuring SPIDER-MAN, and starring America's Best Clown, BELLO NOCK, will be appearing at the CONSOL ENERGY CENTER, April 8-10 for 5 gigantic performances. Exotic performing animals, exciting thrill acts, The Human Cannonball, trapeze artists, clowns galore, and the internet sensation, "Two Girls In A Box", are only part of the fun and excitement! Come celebrate over 6 decades of Pittsburgh Family Entertainment....this is the hottest ticket value at the Consol Energy Center!
clownsarecreepy

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2012

Judged:

Oh really wrote:
The all-new SHRINE CIRCUS, featuring SPIDER-MAN, and starring America's Best Clown, BELLO NOCK, will be appearing at the CONSOL ENERGY CENTER, April 8-10 for 5 gigantic performances. Exotic performing animals, exciting thrill acts, The Human Cannonball, trapeze artists, clowns galore, and the internet sensation, "Two Girls In A Box", are only part of the fun and excitement! Come celebrate over 6 decades of Pittsburgh Family Entertainment....this is the hottest ticket value at the Consol Energy Center!
??????????

I know, she must have run away like a gypsy and joined the circus because her "mentor" was convicted of animal abuse.

She's just trying to promote her employment, now.

I'll bet her job is to "care for" the big cats now. That and shoveling elephant poo.

Although, I think she missed her real calling based on her responses, being a clown. onyd
Scar Face

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2012

Judged:

At least he has a job. BTW-check out your fellow protesters comments regarding the ASPCA on F.B...here is a hint...R.R.
shesellssanctuar y

Greensburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2012

Judged:

kitkat wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like a cult to me. I mean they continued collecting cats for their leader while this case was still in court. What else could it be?
Isn't that why she was thrown in jail? Because the followers continued to collect cats and got caught. So the followers helped put her behind bars. EPIC FAIL!!!
shesellssanctuar y

Greensburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2012

Judged:

Valuable Information wrote:
Never forget that this was what really happened at Tiger Ranch cat sanctuary!
"The majority of the cats (71%) were under the age of three years old and 300 cats were found to be suffering from various degrees of malnutrition - 178 of those cats were emaciated and starving, and nearly 70% were dehydrated. 80% of the cats were found with upper respiratory infections, 73 with painfully inflamed eyes and 54 with painful mouths and tongue ulcerations. 53 cats suffered from an atypical and highly fatal Calicivirus infection (Virulent Systemic Calicivirus), that caused inflammation of blood vessels, severe swelling and wounds of the paws, and damage to internal organs, akin to the effects of Ebola virus. Rampant streptococcal diseases afflicted hundreds of felines, with 82 cats diagnosed with wounds and abscesses of the limbs and joints, over 68 cats with acute onset rhinitis (profuse amounts of pus coming out of their noses), and 51 cats who presented with spontaneously forming abscesses and wounds of their neck regions (referred to as “Feline Strangles”). Nine cats developed streptococcal meningitis when the infection destroyed the bones of their sinuses or extended via the inner ear to the brain and at least 28 cats had joints literally destroyed due to severely painful septic arthritis caused by the bacteria."
"Other reported conditions include:
• 102 cats suffering from ear infections
• 8 cats with Feline Leukemia Virus and 17 with Feline Immunodeficiency Virus
• 123 cats with Dental Disease, 34 who suffered with very painful stomatitis
• Various skin disorders, including 64 cats significantly suffering from skin mites, 23 cats with fleas, and 18 cats with Ringworm
• 3 cats suffering from Skin Fragility Syndrome in which their skin was ripping off
• 11 cats suffering from the fatal condition of Feline Infectious Peritonitis
• Over 178 cats with diarrhea/enteritis, stated to be mainly associated with Giardia and endoparasites
• 5 cats with Pancreatitis
• 9 cats with kidney failure, stated to likely be secondary to strep infections
• 10 cats suffering from a rare Obstructive Inflammatory Laryngeal Disease who could not breathe due to swelling inflammatory masses forming in their airways, documented to be very rare and likely secondary to a viral infection/Calicivirus
• 2 cats with Hemangiosarcoma, a liver cancer extremely rare in cats stated to have potentially infectious risk factors
• 7 cats suffering from Mycoplasma conjunctivitis, deep corneal ulcerations, eye loss, and blindness
• 50 cats suffering from circulatory system collapse due to septic shock from either streptococcal infections or Virulent Systemic Calicivirus
• 5 cats with DIC, a fatal blood disorder
• 17 cats with reproductive diseases and pregnancies"
Never let Tiger Ranch happen again!!!
This is exactly the kind of pain and suffering that is perpetuated by a bunch of enablers and followers who can't think for themselves. They don't realize how they are being used by the hoarder. Very sad.
Interesting

Southview, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2012

John wrote:
I have never forgotten the horror of Tiger Ranch, and have tried repeatedly to get help for the cats, but all the humane officers I contacted did nothing. Over the years I have met many others who witnessed the same conditions and also reported Tiger Ranch. In fact, it’s been a topic of discussion in Southwestern Pennsylvania for years why no one would shut down Tiger Ranch when so many people complained about it. Clearly those same conditions existed when the PA SPCA raided Tiger Ranch last week, which means those conditions persisted for many years and thousands of cats have died there while Animal Friends, W. Pa Humane Society, and the Butler and Westmoreland County Humane Societies all looked the other way.
Who do the humane officers answer to? Do they have free reign? How can they lose their positions? I think we need someone in charge of the humane officers who can investigate them.
Very Interesting

Wampum, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2012

Interesting wrote:
<quoted text>
Who do the humane officers answer to? Do they have free reign? How can they lose their positions? I think we need someone in charge of the humane officers who can investigate them.
Marie was tipped off by a local humane officer before the PSPCA rescue of the Tiger Ranch cats forcing the PSPCA to move in a couple of days before they were supposed to.
Never Forget

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

Bruno had billed her rescue as a "no-kill" shelter and "land of milk and tuna" for stray and feral cats. Word spread throughout the East Coast and as far west as Indiana that there was a safe haven in Pennsylvania for unwanted felines.

Rescue groups from Georgia to New York shipped in cats by the van load, hoping to save them from certain death in local shelters.

What happened to the cats became clear during Bruno's trial last summer.

Evidence produced then showed while more than 7,200 cats were taken in during 2006 and 2007. Only 23 cats were adopted during that time.

It also was revealed that Bruno had provided no veterinary care or spaying and neutering as she claimed she did. Allegheny County assistant district attorney Deborah Jugan said Bruno spent donation money on her own dental work, trips to the hair salon and Italian restaurants.
Never Forget

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

"It is my fault, no doubt. I abdicate nothing. I take full responsibility." - Lin Marie
Never Forget

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2012

Following the raid, Marie sold the property of Tiger Ranch to her mother to avoid the potential for the approximately $200,000 property to be included in any restitution Marie was ordered to pay. “It's still your property,” Marie's mother stated in recorded jailhouse phone conversation between the two.
Kelley S

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

Please say a prayer for all of those poor little kitties that lost their lives at Tiger Ranch.
Wow

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

I Was There wrote:
As someone who actually saw the cats immediately following the rescue, I can honestly say that I have never seen animals in such bad condition coming from a shelter/sanctuary. Many people worked round-the-clock to try to save these cats. And did a damn fine job considering the conditions of the animals.
The supporters of Tiger Ranch continue to ignore the words of the people who actually saw the condition of the animals and know that these cats were extremely overwhelmed with diseases. I feel so bad for the cats that were given the medical attention that should have been provided for them at Tiger Ranch, but by the time they got the medical attention they deserved, their immune systems were shot and they just couldn't fight anymore. The conditions of just some of these cats were shown during the preliminary hearing. Yet, supporters of Tiger Ranch just ignored this and continued to blindly support Lin Marie.
I also want to point out that the letter posted on the Tiger Ranch website of the employee who quit the PSPCA never once says anything positive about the condition of the cats found at Tiger Ranch on March 13. She did, however, mention getting wounded by one of the cats from Tiger Ranch and having problems determining the type of infection that she had. What does that tell you about the number of diseases that these cats had?
Finally, I will say that the state of the PSPCA does not have any bearing on the condition of the cats, that were, in my opinion, definitely suffering at Tiger Ranch. So, people can bash away at the PSPCA. But, the fact still remains that cats were suffering at Tiger Ranch. I have seen what condition these cats were in, and there is no question that charges should have been filed against the owner of this cat rescue/sanctuary. So, those of you who did not see how sick 99% of the cats were first hand can stop shooting your mouths off about things you have no knowledge of. I already know the truth. I have seen it! There is no defense, in my opinion, against what has been done to these poor cats at this rescue/sanctuary.
Great comment!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 2,121 - 2,135 of2,135
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

8 Users are viewing the Allentown Forum right now

Search the Allentown Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min flack 1,071,850
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr scirocco 68,124
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) 2 hr Ramen 51,108
Allentown releases draft of plan for community ... 7 hr Insite 39
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 10 hr Forum 304,892
Commision reviews proposed new digital-video si... 12 hr silly rabbit 1
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) 15 hr Obama Wrong on Illegals 3,745
•••
•••

Allentown News Video

•••
•••

Allentown Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Allentown People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE