Cocco: Forget the surge, let's debate end of Iraq war

There is nothing like the blast of a Baghdad bomb and the wail of sirens to drown out John McCain 's bitter campaign sound bites or the patter of Barack Obama 's ''premature victory lap.'' To point out that ... Full Story
Moronic OpEd Reporters

Nazareth, PA

#1 Jul 31, 2008
Marie Cocco always underscores the venal and superficial aspects of what's relevent.
She's like a cartoonist who takes her content as serious material.
She's not up to the task of real deep thinking, but is a puff piece writer or even worse, a hack.
goon

Bethlehem, PA

#3 Jul 31, 2008
you mean McBush
taksavillage

Macungie, PA

#4 Jul 31, 2008
"In 2004, Republicans chose to re-fight the Vietnam conflict, tarring war hero John Kerry with the infamously false allegations about his service." !!!!!!! I have YET to see the real jist of the charges leveled against Kerry defended by even the most rabid Dems. AND it was Kerry who tried to ride 3 months in Vietnam, most of which was spent in the infirmary getting scratches treated, into the WhiteHouse
taksavillage

Macungie, PA

#5 Jul 31, 2008
What does the US do if we pull out immediately and Iran invades Iraq & starts a new holocaust? Obam could go back to his "holocaust never again" speech and change it to "holocaust, never mind"

Would we invade AGAIN & pay for the same land twicw with blood or give radical Islam control of oil & gas prices?
taksavillage

Macungie, PA

#6 Jul 31, 2008
goon wrote:
you mean McBush
Wow, real zinger.(snicker)
David-1206

Atlanta, GA

#7 Jul 31, 2008
We can walk away from this enemy, but this enemy will not walk away from us

“Does it really Matter”

Since: May 07

Sunnyville USA

#8 Jul 31, 2008
No one has ever said pull all the troops out right way.......
David-1206

Atlanta, GA

#9 Jul 31, 2008
The Obama Doctrine...

1) The grass is indeed greener, so abandon Iraq and rush to Afghanistan.

2) Leave Iraq to Al Qaeda poised for a surge of its own the second the US splits.

3) Abandon Iraq to Sadr and his Iranian backers and to their IEDs and EFPs which US forces had just begun to stop.

4) Let Al Qaeda and Sadr/Iran clash while tens of thousands of innocents die.

5) Storm Pakistan demanding that tribes turn over all Taliban along with Osama and his Al Qaeda allies.

6) Charm Pakistanis into believing that, while Bush's invasion of Iraq was "dumb," his of Pakistan is what Pakistan has longed for.

7) Enchant the oil-producing Middle East -- despite the Iraq abortion and the Pakistan invasion -- into lowering prices so America can invest the savings in alternate energies and thus have no need for Arabs and their oil.

8) Humbly accept that Nobel Prize.
Don Schenk

Allentown, PA

#10 Jul 31, 2008
doindawash wrote:
What Obama says is, Let al Qaida know they won and that we'll be gone in 16 months.

The fact remains tha war-hero John McCain (after speaking With the men in Iraq) advocated the "surge" (and criticized Donald Rumsfeld) before George W. Bush did, and that Barack Obama continued to maintain that the "surge" just had to be a failure until he had his nose rubbed into reality during his campaign tour.

These days the most charitable thing you could say about Obama's position on Iraq is that he's too naive about foreign affairs to be allowed to become Commander-in-Chief just yet.
goon

Bethlehem, PA

#11 Jul 31, 2008
bombing women and children makes you a war hero?
john

Bally, PA

#12 Jul 31, 2008
Yes, end the war. BUT NOT BEFORE IT'S OVER!!!!!!!!!!

Hooray for the young people that believe in America and are volunteering. The last stats I saw, all but one branch of service (and only by a few) has either met or surpassed recruitment goals. Go gett'em!
taksavillage

Macungie, PA

#13 Aug 1, 2008
doindawash wrote:
The entire contingent of loons on the corner in Bethlehem and most of the strange Dem left do.
And what's the difference if Obama's willing to pull out on a timetable instead of waiting till the objective is accomplished? If Obama's father had pulled out on a timetable we wouldn't have Obama to worry about.
vet

Plano, TX

#15 Aug 1, 2008
you should all join up and go there. especially the spinnerstown idiot
Staberdearth

Columbus, OH

#16 Aug 1, 2008
goon wrote:
Your comment is laughable on a level that you don't know that you don't know.. Let's start with suicide bombers who kill ON PURPOSE. Then let's go back to your ignorant comment which is assinine to begin with. Learn to discriminate and discern.
john

Bally, PA

#17 Aug 1, 2008
taksavillage wrote:
<quoted text> If Obama's father had pulled out on a timetable we wouldn't have Obama to worry about.
That's funny
MC wheres my CANE

United States

#18 Aug 1, 2008
To ANY McSAME voter:

DEFINE VICTORY

McCain CAN'T!

Bush declared "Mission Accomplished" years ago; so did we "WIN" then, or did Bush make LOSERS of us all by LYING to get us into this mess?

PLEASE, PLEASE JUST ASK YOURSELVES: AND IF ANYONE CAN ANSWER~ MILLIONS OF AMERICANS AS WELL AS MILLIONS OF CITIZENS AROUND THE WORLD WOULD LOVE TO KNOW!!!!!

DEFINE VICTORY
Don Schenk

Allentown, PA

#19 Aug 1, 2008
goon wrote:
Thanks to the changes that Ronald Reagan ordered in military ordinance, we hit military targets these days. Al Qaida aims at civilians, but it's not the Republicans that support them.

And it was in world War II that we napalmed civilian women and children, so I guess that you're saying that WW II vets are war criminals.
goon

Bethlehem, PA

#20 Aug 1, 2008
Staberdearth wrote:
<quoted text>
Your comment is laughable on a level that you don't know that you don't know.. Let's start with suicide bombers who kill ON PURPOSE. Then let's go back to your ignorant comment which is assinine to begin with. Learn to discriminate and discern.
I am discriminating and discerning.My response is to a post that referred to McCain as a war hero. He bombed civilian targets. Bombing civilian target leads to the deaths of mainly women and children, not only combatants.This is pretty on purpose, if you ask me. Not just an "oops!"

In my mind, that does not make him a "war hero" . Not nice how he was treated afterwards but that comes with war. Pointing this out is not asinine. The guy is running for president and is being billed as a war hero.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Allentown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 14 min Yeah 1,127,197
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 22 min cpeter1313 306,292
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 2 hr JOEL 70,105
Allentown shooter charged with attempted homicide 6 hr silly rabbit 1
Mrs. Bush: History will vindicate her husband (Jun '08) 6 hr Swedenforever 54,525
Bethlehem nurse allegedly stole bank card, $5 f... 19 hr silly rabbit 1
Halloween costumes for girls: Innocent or inapp... 22 hr silly rabbit 1

Allentown News Video

Allentown Dating
Find my Match

Allentown Jobs

Allentown People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Allentown News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Allentown

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]