Latino Harvest Festival set for Sept. 15 in Chambersburg

Sep 5, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Chambersburg Public Opinion

As fall approaches and farmers look to the harvest, community members will come together to celebrate this harvest and Latino heritage in Franklin County.

Comments
1 - 20 of 75 Comments Last updated Sep 17, 2012
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

“ONE LOVE...ONE HORSE”

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#1 Sep 7, 2012
sounds like fun - and I heard it a great last year as well.

Looking forward to the FOOD!

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#2 Sep 7, 2012
Awesome, food vendors with Latino flair? Count me in!

Since: Oct 08

Pennsylvania

#3 Sep 9, 2012
Mole & tamales for lunch sounds good :)
bobby64

Seattle, WA

#5 Sep 9, 2012
It is becoming a nation that fully includes every body. Do you got a issue with that? This great country does not
Dan the Man

Newville, PA

#23 Sep 10, 2012
This is about Mexicans wrote:
Just Mexicans and S. Americans on the farms and diaries. Take a trip to Jandyl Farms, the biggest farm in the region and tell me I am wrong. What's the matter, can't handle the truth?!?
Thus a Harvest Festival.

You CAN learn.

Location hidden

#24 Sep 11, 2012
Big Deal wrote:
My question is why are they having a HARVEST festival for the latinos. When was the last time anyone has seen ANY Latino harvest anything?
If you're curious about what Latinos harvest, go to your nearest grocery store. Giant, Weis, Food Lion, whatever... go into the produce section. Try and find the very center of it. Now spin around and look all of the food there. Apples, onions, potatoes, cabbage, lettuce, peppers, oranges, lemons, tomatoes, garlic, cucumbers, parsley, avocados, watermelon, bananas.... just, literally everything.

THAT is what Latino's harvest. All of it.
Big Deal

New Tripoli, PA

#25 Sep 11, 2012
Dan the Man wrote:
<quoted text>
LMAO! You have GOT to be kidding? Who do you think picks your fruits and vegetables?
Of course if you had RTFA...
"The goal of the festival is to celebrate local agriculture - the harvest," she said. "The workers work not only on fruit and vegetable farms but also on dairy farms as well.(It) brings attention to the impact that local agriculture has on all of our lives."
You've GOT to be kidding me, Danny boy If this is a celebration of agriculture then call it a HARVEST FEST. Latino Harvest fest why put the LATINO in it? I'd like to have a grand Caucasion Day. I want a parade to celebrate my white skin, blonde hair and blue eyes. Why I want to march up and down the street shoving my almighty whiteness in everyone's face.
BTW, Latinos aren't the only ones whom partake in argiculture. Last time I checked, I've haven't seen a single Latino in field anywhere around here.

Location hidden

#26 Sep 11, 2012
Big Deal wrote:
<quoted text>You've GOT to be kidding me, Danny boy If this is a celebration of agriculture then call it a HARVEST FEST. Latino Harvest fest why put the LATINO in it? I'd like to have a grand Caucasion Day. I want a parade to celebrate my white skin, blonde hair and blue eyes. Why I want to march up and down the street shoving my almighty whiteness in everyone's face.
BTW, Latinos aren't the only ones whom partake in argiculture. Last time I checked, I've haven't seen a single Latino in field anywhere around here.
It's not called the "Latino Harvest Festival." It is called the Festival de la Cosecha, which is Spanish for Harvest Festival. It is being sponsored and paid for by the Chambersburg Hispanic American Center. If you want to go to a "Caucasian Festival", go to literally any other festival. And if you want to be in a parade that celebrates your white skin, blonde hair and blue eyes, just join the KKK or Aryan Nation. I'm sure Westboro Baptist Church would also welcome you to protest with them.

So, given that this festival is being paid for by the Hispanic Center, and attendance is not compulsory.... what's your problem? Just don't go. Believe me, no one wants you there anyway.

Finally, I should point out that the PO made an error in this story. The festival is taking place on Sunday, September 16 - not Saturday the 15th. I'm really glad I double checked today because I even had it on my calendar for Saturday.

Location hidden

#27 Sep 11, 2012
According to the Nation Agricultural Worker Survey, this is the breakdown of Agriculture workers by PLACE OF BIRTH:

Mexico: 75%
United States: 23%
Central Americas: 2%
Other: 1%

83% of all agricultural workers are Hispanic. Only 16% of agricultural workers are not self-identified as Hispanic or Latino.

Source: http://www.doleta.gov/agworker/report9/chapte...

So, maybe you're just not spending enough time in the fields.
This is about Mexicans

Reading, PA

#28 Sep 11, 2012
Effington wrote:
According to the Nation Agricultural Worker Survey, this is the breakdown of Agriculture workers by PLACE OF BIRTH:
Mexico: 75%
United States: 23%
Central Americas: 2%
Other: 1%
83% of all agricultural workers are Hispanic. Only 16% of agricultural workers are not self-identified as Hispanic or Latino.
Source: http://www.doleta.gov/agworker/report9/chapte...
So, maybe you're just not spending enough time in the fields.
Hey smart guy, just like I said and thus my name. And most produce comes from California, Texas, and California sold in the United States vastly picked by Mexicans. Maybe you should think twice before posting again, idiot. Have fun at your Mexican fest.
This is about Mexicans

Reading, PA

#29 Sep 11, 2012
CA,TX, and FL. HAVE FUN!
Big Deal

New Tripoli, PA

#30 Sep 11, 2012
Effington wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not called the "Latino Harvest Festival." It is called the Festival de la Cosecha, which is Spanish for Harvest Festival. It is being sponsored and paid for by the Chambersburg Hispanic American Center. If you want to go to a "Caucasian Festival", go to literally any other festival. And if you want to be in a parade that celebrates your white skin, blonde hair and blue eyes, just join the KKK or Aryan Nation. I'm sure Westboro Baptist Church would also welcome you to protest with them.
So, given that this festival is being paid for by the Hispanic Center, and attendance is not compulsory.... what's your problem? Just don't go. Believe me, no one wants you there anyway.
Finally, I should point out that the PO made an error in this story. The festival is taking place on Sunday, September 16 - not Saturday the 15th. I'm really glad I double checked today because I even had it on my calendar for Saturday.
Ahhh so if I celebrate MY white skin, blonde hair and blue eyes, then I should join a hate group. If however, A SPANISH decendant who wants to celebrate their ethenic backround then its all fine its not a "hate" group they should join to do so.
Makes ya think, if a person is WHITE and celebrates their heritage its a HATE group. If its some sort of minority group then it s cultural thing.
So if you're of Spanish decent, exactly what ethnic group do you lean towards to celebrate? Are you going to celebrate the natives that orginally were on the island of P.R.? Will you celebrate the Spanish that landed on P.R? Or perhaps you'll lean towards the African influence with the slaves that were brought along. All mixing together to give you a modern day P.R.
So what's it going to be?
bobby64

United States

#31 Sep 11, 2012
It could be any thing you want it to be inside your head. Your picture is clear and who really cares? Not many
Big Deal

New Tripoli, PA

#32 Sep 11, 2012
bobby64 wrote:
It could be any thing you want it to be inside your head. Your picture is clear and who really cares? Not many
a simple question is all I asked, you must have cared you responded.
bobby64

United States

#33 Sep 11, 2012
Wow
DGS

Jersey Shore, PA

#34 Sep 11, 2012
Big Deal wrote:
<quoted text> Ahhh so if I celebrate MY white skin, blonde hair and blue eyes, then I should join a hate group. If however, A SPANISH decendant who wants to celebrate their ethenic backround then its all fine its not a "hate" group they should join to do so.
Makes ya think, if a person is WHITE and celebrates their heritage its a HATE group. If its some sort of minority group then it s cultural thing.
So if you're of Spanish decent, exactly what ethnic group do you lean towards to celebrate? Are you going to celebrate the natives that orginally were on the island of P.R.? Will you celebrate the Spanish that landed on P.R? Or perhaps you'll lean towards the African influence with the slaves that were brought along. All mixing together to give you a modern day P.R.
I have no problem with you getting together with a group of your bigoted, hate spewing friends and celebrating that you have an understanding of no one else other than those that share your ignorance.
Dan the Man

Newville, PA

#35 Sep 11, 2012
Big Deal wrote:
<quoted text> Ahhh so if I celebrate MY white skin, blonde hair and blue eyes, then I should join a hate group. If however, A SPANISH decendant who wants to celebrate their ethenic backround then its all fine its not a "hate" group they should join to do so.
The difference is entirely based on the status of the ethnic group within the culture.

You are a member of the majority group with all the privileges that come with it.

Hispanics are a minority group that is discriminated against and treated unequally by the majority group.

So celebrations of the culture of the minority group serves to promote equality and enhance appreciation of that group.
Strive to be better

Allentown, PA

#36 Sep 11, 2012
Dan, Hispanics have just as much privileges as anyone. The only difference is that many who come to the USA, don't speak English or even seem to want to learn. Many are on welfare. Not that the economy is easy for everyone or most, but then to make matters more difficult, they continue to have so many children. This is not helping them, or taxpayers. The result is more crowding, more schools needing to be built because of so many more children. Hispanics seem to have more privileges then those who have to work hard for a living. I'm not implying all Hispanics don't care or work hard, but the ones who don't seem to give a darn and take, rather then try to help themselves, usually resort to crime. Unfortunately they pass these traits onto their children. Just the same, their are good Hispanics who work hard and want their children to grow up to be honorable and decent citizens. To them, I say good for you. Don't stop trying. As for the harvest, I don't care what they call it, as long as we all can enjoy fresh fruits, vegetables and that the goodness of wholesome food is available and plentiful for all people everywhere.

Location hidden

#37 Sep 12, 2012
This is about Mexicans wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey smart guy, just like I said and thus my name. And most produce comes from California, Texas, and California sold in the United States vastly picked by Mexicans. Maybe you should think twice before posting again, idiot. Have fun at your Mexican fest.
You guys are real winners. I'm sure you make your children proud.
Dan the Man

Shippensburg, PA

#38 Sep 12, 2012
Strive to be better wrote:
Dan, Hispanics have just as much privileges as anyone. The only difference is that many who come to the USA, don't speak English or even seem to want to learn. Many are on welfare. Not that the economy is easy for everyone or most, but then to make matters more difficult, they continue to have so many children. This is not helping them, or taxpayers. The result is more crowding, more schools needing to be built because of so many more children. Hispanics seem to have more privileges then those who have to work hard for a living. I'm not implying all Hispanics don't care or work hard, but the ones who don't seem to give a darn and take, rather then try to help themselves, usually resort to crime. Unfortunately they pass these traits onto their children. Just the same, their are good Hispanics who work hard and want their children to grow up to be honorable and decent citizens. To them, I say good for you. Don't stop trying. As for the harvest, I don't care what they call it, as long as we all can enjoy fresh fruits, vegetables and that the goodness of wholesome food is available and plentiful for all people everywhere.
Like every other wave of immigrants since the founding of this nation, Latinos are English fluent by the second generation.

Learning a second language is very hard, particularly for adults. I'm trying to learn Spanish and I'm having a hell of a time. I don't think it's possible to accurately claim that anyone isn't trying or doesn't want to learn. How would you know? Because it's going slowly? Because they aren't fluent right away?

All the Hispanic folks I know are incredibly hard working. They contribute to the community and they pay taxes. Any expansion of public services that happens because they're here, they help pay for, just like every other member of society. They aren't a drain on society - they are an asset, helping to grow and strengthen our nation.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Allentown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min sonicfilter 1,100,252
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) 28 min PA VOTER 3,922
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) 29 min PA VOTER 51,301
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 1 hr SevenTee 305,450
History's Headlines: Hopalong Cassidy visits th... 2 hr Ducksoup701 1
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 6 hr J RULES 68,991
Woman arrested for snorting coke with child in car 13 hr silly rabbit 1
•••

Allentown News Video

•••
Allentown Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Allentown Jobs