Woman plunges to death from city bridge

Woman plunges to death from city bridge

There are 468 comments on the The Morning Call story from Jul 23, 2008, titled Woman plunges to death from city bridge. In it, The Morning Call reports that:

An Allentown woman said she was attempting to talk a woman off the Albertus Meyers Bridge on Tuesday afternoon, but was stopped by city police and the woman plunged to her death.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

scanman

Allentown, PA

#90 Jul 23, 2008
comment wrote:
So where were the experienced professional, Assistant Do-nothing Hanna?
For 10 minutes they succeed in not having the woman jump, but in those 10 minutes you could not either get a patrol officer or a so called "train professional" on the scene to seek alternative solutions.
Your response is quite flipid and unprofessional. Increasingly more apparent that it is time to bring in outside leadership to the Allentown Police Department. We need a former chief of police and upper level management in police department from a city with more than 200,000.
Great job Officer. You obviously were not part of the debate team and were uncovincing, while these untrained professionals did a superior job of not getting her to jump, until the police arrived.
To Not Protect, To Not Serve, To Collect an Easy Paycheck, To Retire Young and Excessive.
Allentown's APD moto.
ok, for starters, i heard them put a callout for a negotiator about 2min after into arriving at the scene.. like most depts. they dont have negotiators just driving around on the streets or even in HQ.. sometimes they have to be called in from home.. Patrol officers do receive some degree of training in dealing with situations like that but negotiators get more in depth training.. So for starters, you dont live in Allentown so before you go spouting off that, "no protect and no serve" crap, just because a few unfortunate things occur doesnt mean that APD as a whole is incompetent.. they could learn from this and possibly implement more training in dealing with stuff like this
Observer14

Kintnersville, PA

#91 Jul 23, 2008
The Albertus L. Meyers Bridge (also known as the Eighth Street Bridge) is a reinforced concrete open-spandrel arch bridge located in Allentown, Pennsylvania in the United States. The bridge spans the Little Lehigh Creek, and links Allentown's center city area with portions of the city that lie to the south. When opened for traffic in 1913, it was billed as the longest and highest concrete bridge in the world.....

The Lehigh Valley Transit Company organized the Allentown Bridge Company in 1911 for the sole purpose of building the bridge. The bridge was designed by the engineering firm of B.H. Davis and built by McArthur Brothers of New York. Costing in excess of $500,000, construction of the bridge required 29,500 cubic yards of concrete and 1.1 million pounds of metal reinforcing rods. It opened for traffic on November 17, 1913. The structure operated as a toll bridge until the 1950s.

The Liberty Bell Line, Lehigh Valley Transit's electric street car line that went to Quakertown, Sellersville, Lansdale, Norristown and Philadelphia, ran across the bridge until the company ceased street trolley service in 1953.

In 1974, the Eighth Street Bridge was formally renamed the Albertus L. Meyers Bridge, in honor of a well-known leader of the Allentown Band. The band, under the direction of Meyers, had performed at the bridge's opening ceremonies.
Bangor

Whitehall, PA

#92 Jul 23, 2008
What a Joke wrote:
"Trained professionals"??? At what? These guys aren't really trained to do anything. They retire so early they don't even get much training through experience. Another fine job. I give them the capital "L" for looooosers!
Don't call them when you need them.
Observer14

Kintnersville, PA

#93 Jul 23, 2008
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_bridge

Suicide bridge
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A suicide bridge is a bridge used frequently to commit suicide, most typically by throwing one's self off and into the water below (because a fall from that height into the water is almost inevitably fatal).

The Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco has had more suicides than any other in the world, the number currently being over 1,200. In 2005, documentary filmmaker Eric Steel set off controversy by revealing that he had tricked the bridge committee into allowing him to film the Golden Gate for months, and had captured 23 suicides on film for his documentary The Bridge. In March 2005, San Francisco supervisor Tom Ammiano proposed funding a study on erecting a suicide barrier on the bridge.

In Seattle, Washington, more than 230 people have committed suicide from the Aurora Bridge, making it the second deadliest suicide bridge in the United States. In the last decade, nearly 50 people jumped to their deaths, nine in 2006. Seattle FRIENDS, a nonprofit group dedicated to eliminating suicides from the bridge, is petitioning city and state officials to install a suicide barrier on the bridge.

The San Diego-Coronado Bridge is the third deadliest suicide bridge in the U.S., followed by the Sunshine Skyway Bridge in St. Petersburg, Florida.

To reach such locations, those with the intention to commit suicide must often walk long distances to reach the point where they finally decide to jump. For example, some jumpers have traveled over the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge by automobile to reach the Golden Gate.

Suicide prevention advocates believe that suicide by bridge is more likely to be impulsive than other means, and that barriers can have a significant effect on reducing the incidence of suicides by bridge.[citation needed] One study showed that installing barriers on the Duke Ellington Bridge in Washington, D.C. which has a high incidence of suicide did not cause an increase of suicides at the nearby Taft Bridge. Families of victims and groups that help the mentally ill have lobbied governments to erect similar barriers. One such barriers is the Luminous Veil on the Prince Edward Viaduct in Toronto, once considered the world's second most deadly bridge with over 400 jumps on record. The Sydney Harbour Bridge, the Jacques Cartier Bridge in Montreal, and the Arroyo Seco Bridge in Pasadena, California have also seen barriers erected.

Special telephones with connections to crisis hotlines are sometimes installed on bridges.
Allentown 2

Allentown, PA

#94 Jul 23, 2008
Ignorant wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don't we face the fact that the woman had mental issues. And I am sure someone will write she was a great person and I don't know her. I don't have to know her and she may be a great person but when you are looking over the 8th Street Bridge looking for a way out your decision is made up. There is no surviving that jump. When are you people going to stop blaming the cops for the poor decisions the people of Allentown make. I am positive that watching a woman fall to her death was not on the agenda for the police yesterday. We were also not there so we do not know what tactics that police did use to attempt to talk her down. The APD have negotiators and this is what they are trained to do. Fact is when dealing with unstable people you don't win all of the battles and that is not the fault of the police.
Yes agreed the police are not at fault, but mentally ill, NO!
stacie

Woodstock, GA

#95 Jul 23, 2008
You don't have to be a trained professional to talk a person out of suicide.It takes one compassionate human being to reach out to another in time of need.People in pain find it easier to talk to strangers because they feel their own families don't understand them.
Observer14

Kintnersville, PA

#96 Jul 23, 2008
The Aurora Bridge has a long tragic history of being the final structure some hopeless Seattleites ever stand upon. Since its opening in 1932, more than 200 people have jumped to their death from the bridge. It is second only to the Golden Gate Bridge in suicide deaths. Now it would seem those who live around the bridge, and the state of Washington, have decided to do something about that.

In 2006 a non-profit was created--FRIENDS (Fremont Residents, Individuals and Employees Nonprofit to Decrease Suicides) it was established to find methods to lessen Aurora's lethality. That same year six emergency phones and 18 signs urging people not to jump were placed on the bridge in hopes to discourage suicides. Yet nine people jumped to their death off the Aurora Bridge that year. With the urging of FRIENDS, and none too pleased Aurora was getting the reputation as a suicide bridge, Governor Gregoire and the state began to look for other solutions.

Their current proposal? A suicide prevention barrier, which would make it much more difficult for people to successfully jump to their death. Gregoire even included $1.4 million in last year's budget to build an "8-foot-suicide-preventio n fence on the historic bridge." The Washington State Department of Transportation estimates the cost of building such a fence would be $7.3 million, so thus far the state is a few million short. Any fence would not only have to overcome the vote for budget approval, but the design would also have to be approved by the city's ever busy Landmark Preservation Board.

While Seattlest understands the urge to find a simple engineering fix to the problem, we have to realize the deaths aren't the structure's fault. And that a fence, like the emergency phones and signs that came before it, are a brick and mortar solution to a painfully human problem. That $7 million the new suicide prevention fence would cost? Better spent on more accessible mental health care.
scanman

Allentown, PA

#97 Jul 23, 2008
Bangor wrote:
I am glad everyone can sit in front of thier computers and judge peopel who put thier lives on the line daily. While you do????? No one here was there, no one knows what really went on.
You know what, i completely agree with you.. all these idiot posters just sit on their computers reading these articles about the police and finding ways to nitpick about them.. while im on here too, im in the process of becoming an Allentown Police Officer and currently work in armed security in the city and occasionally interact with APD. and just like a police officer but on a smaller level, i put my life in danger while working in downtown allentown at 4am sunday morning with shots being fired a block away. im in one spot of the city, these officers have to deal with this in the entire city.. so all you guys who have nothing better to do than criticize the police, get off your ass and go do what they do, go put your life on the line, then tell me what criticisms you have
More Cruelty

Slatington, PA

#98 Jul 23, 2008
Sad to report to you folks and this sounds very, very harsh, but the reality is that we are going to be seeing a lot more of this in the next 4 years. I think you all know exactly where I am going with this, though I will not go any farther with this statement just remember all......seek the TRUTH and keep a keen eye out for BS'ers.
sherlock

Hazleton, PA

#100 Jul 23, 2008
Real genius. Hanna, doesnt he train animals. Stupid pigs.
tara a town

Allentown, PA

#101 Jul 23, 2008
my thougths and prayers go out to the family and her kids i met her last year she is a nice woman very kind she makes good cakes for birthdays wedding and so on she will be missed bye manny on like some of these other idiots in this town and the ones that get on the conputer and post comments that don t even now her keep you r heads up and remeber you r mommy loved you even thougth she made wrong dession to leave youes you sare her angels even why she is in heaven take care stay strong for eashother in this time of need
More Cruelty

Slatington, PA

#102 Jul 23, 2008
The one who had the best chance of saving her was the gentleman with the Bible....
APDfinest

Hazleton, PA

#104 Jul 23, 2008
Observer14 wrote:
The Albertus L. Meyers Bridge (also known as the Eighth Street Bridge) is a reinforced concrete open-spandrel arch bridge located in Allentown, Pennsylvania in the United States. The bridge spans the Little Lehigh Creek, and links Allentown's center city area with portions of the city that lie to the south. When opened for traffic in 1913, it was billed as the longest and highest concrete bridge in the world.....
The Lehigh Valley Transit Company organized the Allentown Bridge Company in 1911 for the sole purpose of building the bridge. The bridge was designed by the engineering firm of B.H. Davis and built by McArthur Brothers of New York. Costing in excess of $500,000, construction of the bridge required 29,500 cubic yards of concrete and 1.1 million pounds of metal reinforcing rods. It opened for traffic on November 17, 1913. The structure operated as a toll bridge until the 1950s.
The Liberty Bell Line, Lehigh Valley Transit's electric street car line that went to Quakertown, Sellersville, Lansdale, Norristown and Philadelphia, ran across the bridge until the company ceased street trolley service in 1953.
In 1974, the Eighth Street Bridge was formally renamed the Albertus L. Meyers Bridge, in honor of a well-known leader of the Allentown Band. The band, under the direction of Meyers, had performed at the bridge's opening ceremonies.
And your point is?
Allentown 2

Allentown, PA

#105 Jul 23, 2008
Anonymous wrote:
The politically correct bleeding hearts amaze me.
The woman committed suicide. How is that the fault of the police?
If someone wants to jump, they are going to jump.
Her survivors and or her estate, if any, should be held responsible for the man hours used and cleanup involved.
HOW DARE YOU BE SO INSENSITIVE??? YOU REALLY THINK HER CHILDREN SHOULD GO DOWN AND CLEAN?? YOU REALLY ARE THE DUMBEST AREN'T YOU???? PEOPLE LIKE YOU SHOULD BE THROWN OVER A BRIDGE...I MEAN THAT!!!!
Very few are good cops

Easton, PA

#106 Jul 23, 2008
watching the stupid wrote:
one less toll on our social service system.was she legal ? who pays for her funeral now ? they should have let her lay where she fell like deer along the highway. Right to the end she is a slug on legal tax payers.
I certainly hope that people don't judge your as@hole remarks the way you just judge this poor person.

When people are distraught the brain is not functioning well.
May the person that caused her to become distraught go to hel@. I am going thru a very bad breakup with one of my family members right now,
and it is taking all I can to keep this person from going over the edge.
Drs. and love is not working. Being distraught is a sick thing to have to cope with. I hope you never have that feeling of being empty inside, especially when you tried everything in yourself to make things right.
Please don't come on here with that wicked mouth and leave a comment like that. You might want to look into the mirror and see if you love yourself FOOL!
ROVENUS

Riverton, NJ

#108 Jul 23, 2008
WHAT A TRAGIC LOSS OF LIFE. I FEEL VERY SORRY FOR THE STANBYERS WHO TRIED SO DESPERATLY TO SAVE THIS POOR SOUL. I JUST HOPE THE POLICE REALLY DID ALL THEY COULD TO HELP. FROM THE ARTICLE...IT REALLY MAKES ME WONDER.
More Cruelty

Slatington, PA

#109 Jul 23, 2008
name wrote:
Is this the same woman that, a few weeks ago, there was an article in the Morning Call about her and how she lost her job and PPL shut off her electricty?
I don't believe so, but I see you know where I was going in my previous posts :o)
Just Wondering

Easton, PA

#110 Jul 23, 2008
Observer14 wrote:
The Aurora Bridge has a long tragic history of being the final structure some hopeless Seattleites ever stand upon. Since its opening in 1932, more than 200 people have jumped to their death from the bridge. It is second only to the Golden Gate Bridge in suicide deaths. Now it would seem those who live around the bridge, and the state of Washington, have decided to do something about that.
In 2006 a non-profit was created--FRIENDS (Fremont Residents, Individuals and Employees Nonprofit to Decrease Suicides) it was established to find methods to lessen Aurora's lethality. That same year six emergency phones and 18 signs urging people not to jump were placed on the bridge in hopes to discourage suicides. Yet nine people jumped to their death off the Aurora Bridge that year. With the urging of FRIENDS, and none too pleased Aurora was getting the reputation as a suicide bridge, Governor Gregoire and the state began to look for other solutions.
Their current proposal? A suicide prevention barrier, which would make it much more difficult for people to successfully jump to their death. Gregoire even included $1.4 million in last year's budget to build an "8-foot-suicide-preventio n fence on the historic bridge." The Washington State Department of Transportation estimates the cost of building such a fence would be $7.3 million, so thus far the state is a few million short. Any fence would not only have to overcome the vote for budget approval, but the design would also have to be approved by the city's ever busy Landmark Preservation Board.
While Seattlest understands the urge to find a simple engineering fix to the problem, we have to realize the deaths aren't the structure's fault. And that a fence, like the emergency phones and signs that came before it, are a brick and mortar solution to a painfully human problem. That $7 million the new suicide prevention fence would cost? Better spent on more accessible mental health care.
excuse me but what is your point with all of the write=up about the bridges?

How about saying a little prayer for this person. Go away, you clutter the comment boards.

May God take care of her now!!!!
bighouse8231

Macungie, PA

#111 Jul 23, 2008
black jack wrote:
I GUESS THE APD WILL GET SUED over this . GIVE ME A BREAK. SHE MADE THE DECISION TO JUMP.stop bashing the apd everyone knows what to after the fact.grow up.
I can see the line to the family home now....." you can paid for this"
Blah Blah

Allentown, PA

#112 Jul 23, 2008
Very few are good cops wrote:
<quoted text>
I certainly hope that people don't judge your as@hole remarks the way you just judge this poor person.
When people are distraught the brain is not functioning well.
May the person that caused her to become distraught go to hel@. I am going thru a very bad breakup with one of my family members right now,
and it is taking all I can to keep this person from going over the edge.
Drs. and love is not working. Being distraught is a sick thing to have to cope with. I hope you never have that feeling of being empty inside, especially when you tried everything in yourself to make things right.
Please don't come on here with that wicked mouth and leave a comment like that. You might want to look into the mirror and see if you love yourself FOOL!
Maybe you should go jump too! Take the easy way out!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Allentown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 7 min Yeah 1,278,824
News Purse Snatching Reported In Allentown 15 min silly rabbit 5
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 21 min cpeter1313 310,236
News Six finalists for Fort Worth police chief named 22 hr silly rabbit 1
News themorningcall.com VIDEO Allentown girl fatally... (Sep '08) Sep 1 Jasmine bitch 4
News Allentown's charter school dealings part of aud... Sep 1 silly rabbit 1
silly rabbit is unemployed and uneducated (Apr '14) Aug 31 silly rabbit 32
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Allentown Mortgages