Trick-or-treat times scheduled

Alburtis : 6-8 p.m. Friday . No rain date. Allentown: 6-8 p.m. Friday. Allen Township: 6-8 p.m. Friday. Read more
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Amy B

Bangor, PA

#1 Oct 26, 2008
Wow, times have changed :( We used to start about 6PM and go til 11PM. Walking block after block with/without adults.
poor kids now, some have 3 hrs :(
snafu

Bangor, PA

#2 Oct 26, 2008
Amy B wrote:
Wow, times have changed :( We used to start about 6PM and go til 11PM. Walking block after block with/without adults.
ANd we did it on,(gasp) Oct 31st!

“People smell funny.”

Since: Nov 07

East Vincent, PA

#3 Oct 26, 2008
snafu wrote:
<quoted text>ANd we did it on,(gasp) Oct 31st!
*GASP* Like you mean this year?! Oh noes!!!

Seriously, whether it's done on the 31st or on a Friday, does it really make a difference? Kids get to go out, have a great time, and get some candy - that's all that matters.
snafu

Bangor, PA

#5 Oct 26, 2008
Mandapants wrote:
<quoted text>
*GASP* Like you mean this year?! Oh noes!!!
Seriously, whether it's done on the 31st or on a Friday, does it really make a difference? Kids get to go out, have a great time, and get some candy - that's all that matters.
Are you really that thick? Look at the schedule - most places are doing it today, the (gasp) 26th!

It does make a difference. Do you do Thanksgiving on Dec 4th? Do you do New Years on Dec 28th?

Or, are you so desperate for friends that you have to post moronic statements?

Good grief
Watchdog

Bayville, NJ

#6 Oct 26, 2008
and parents- for one night out of the year, please teach your children MANNERS. It's trick or treat. When we open the door say it...Allow US to put the candy in the bag and if we do allow you to pick what you want, DON'T TAKE 10 pieces for you, your brother and your cousin. And most of all, say thank you.

It always cracks me up when parents bring their small babies out dressed up. They certainly can't eat candy & treats, so you are essentially being greedy.
Watchdog

Bayville, NJ

#7 Oct 26, 2008
I, for the 1st time in years chose to keep my light off last year because of the rudeness of the children in this area. Everything from coming to my door for treats, then complaining that you don't like Skittles and asking if I had Starburst. I'm not the local 7-11. Accept what you get. Also, for the the fat arsed parents who felt the need to lean up against my car and take a break while their kids are grabbing candy out of my hands, I still have a scratch & a dent from your buffalo butt.

Respect other people's property.
kodes

AOL

#9 Oct 26, 2008
Watchdog wrote:
and parents- for one night out of the year, please teach your children MANNERS. It's trick or treat. When we open the door say it...Allow US to put the candy in the bag and if we do allow you to pick what you want, DON'T TAKE 10 pieces for you, your brother and your cousin. And most of all, say thank you.
It always cracks me up when parents bring their small babies out dressed up. They certainly can't eat candy & treats, so you are essentially being greedy.
i didnt realize there was a age requirement for dressing up, guess i should take my 9 mo olds costume back huh?! no i will not be taking her trick or treating but she will be dressed up!

“People smell funny.”

Since: Nov 07

East Vincent, PA

#10 Oct 26, 2008
snafu wrote:
<quoted text>Are you really that thick? Look at the schedule - most places are doing it today, the (gasp) 26th!
It does make a difference. Do you do Thanksgiving on Dec 4th? Do you do New Years on Dec 28th?
Good grief
Most places? I think not.

Bangor, Hellertown, Pen Argyl, Portland, Plainfield Township, and Wind Gap are the ONLY ones trick or treating today. Out of three pages of localities. MOST of them are trick-or-treating on Friday.

Personally, I always liked trick-or-treating on Friday night, and I imagine if things had stayed the same as when I was a kid, I'd still like it to stay that way. We always had our Halloween parties at school on Friday, as well as our Halloween parade. It made sense to have trick-or-treating done the same night, so as not to worry about re-doing any makeup or anything like that. It just made things easier on my parents, and I imagine at least a few other parents felt the same way.

Now I know kids no longer dress up for school, neither are Halloween parties or parades held. But it has been a tradition for trick-or-treating to be held on Fridays for so long (my entire lifetime) that most people probably wouldn't deal with the change that well. People who are native to the area just expect it to be on the Friday night before Halloween.

As to your asinine statements for Thanksgiving and Christmas, just remember that they are national holidays and people generally get off from work, State and Federal buildings are closed, and it'd be kinda silly to celebrate them on any other day. But if you want to be a dick, let it be known that some people WILL celebrate the holidays at later dates (especially our armed servicemen). Are they wrong for doing so?
John P

Fairport, NY

#11 Oct 27, 2008
change the world wrote:
Halloween is a holiday that celebrates dead people. It should be banned.
If people want to celebrate Fall, they would be better off.
I like dead people...people are better dead
Pachacutec

Fort Collins, CO

#13 Oct 27, 2008
Amy B wrote:
Back when I was a kid (when dinosaurs walked the earth), we even went out the night before Halloween; it was called "Beggars' Night." But anymore there's SO many weirdos out there, I'd be rather worried to let my kids go trick or treating except where they knew the people who were handing out treats. Really a shame but times HAVE changed.
megg

North Wales, PA

#14 Oct 27, 2008
change the world wrote:
Do you have kids?
Were you ever a kid?
megg

North Wales, PA

#15 Oct 27, 2008
snafu wrote:
<quoted text>Are you really that thick? Look at the schedule - most places are doing it today, the (gasp) 26th!
Good grief
Wow, you are pretty intense when it comes to the date of trick or treating...yow, lighten up Francis!

Since: Sep 08

Fogelsville, PA

#16 Oct 27, 2008
Trick or treating should be done on halloween, like it is in my community. I very seldom went out trick or treating as a kid because of where I grew up, but I would go with friends that lived in a development and they always had a designated day about 7-10 days before the 31st which was always odd, and still is to me. Let the kids show off their costume on halloween and have a little fun!
RonMania

Easton, PA

#17 Oct 27, 2008
A warning to all parents: Never sample, taste or examine your children's Halloween treats. Many of these items might contain sharp objects, poisioness substances & other harmful ingredients! We need you parents for hospital transportation.
Sound Reasoning

Allentown, PA

#18 Oct 27, 2008
I don't see SOUTH WHITEHALL in this list (or Parkland either)?

Does anyone know South Whitehall's date and times?

I am assuming Oct 31, 6 to 8pm, but I can't remember T or T ever actually being on Oct 31 so I am not all that sure.
Pachacutec

Fort Collins, CO

#19 Oct 27, 2008
change the world wrote:
Actually, Halloween is the Celtic festival to celebrate the end of the harvest season, and also when the "barrier" between the living and dead is lessened. But what's wrong with "celebrating dead people?" You know, like a holiday honoring your ancestors? Sounds good to me.
Sound Reasoning

United States

#20 Oct 27, 2008
Pachacutec wrote:
Actually, Halloween is the Celtic festival to celebrate the end of the harvest season,...
I thought Thanksgiving was to celebrate a bountiful harvest?
kathy65

Bangor, PA

#21 Oct 27, 2008
change the world wrote:
you need to do more research dearie...do you think there might be some demons involved too?
change the world

Bethlehem, PA

#22 Oct 27, 2008
megg wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have kids?
Were you ever a kid?
Yes. I actually went trick or treating. I didn't know what the so called holiday was about. But I've since learned. The internet is an amazing place for knowledge. I'd rather celebrate All Saints day. The day said aside for God's people.
change the world

Bethlehem, PA

#23 Oct 27, 2008
kathy65 wrote:
<quoted text>
you need to do more research dearie...do you think there might be some demons involved too?
Uh yeah. Do you know where the holiday came from?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Allentown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 9 min Yeah 1,205,481
News Mrs. Bush: History will vindicate her husband (Jun '08) 54 min WelbyMD 54,566
News Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 3 hr scirocco 71,697
Police, fire crews respond to threats at Bethle... 3 hr silly rabbit 1
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 8 hr Ali Baba 309,187
News Test Drive: 2009 Ford Escape Hybrid Review (Jan '09) 13 hr BK Flozell 4
Unidentified Allentown man was murdered Wed silly rabbit 1
Allentown Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Allentown People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]