First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Lolz

Bath, PA

#43 Dec 20, 2011
Sofa just doesn't get it.

If you give people free things all the time they aren't going to want to be self sufficient. In fact, they will adapt to their environment and become parasitic.

We should be teaching the underclass about self reliance and personal responsibility instead of how to hold out their hands in shameful begging.

Liberalism has brought us to this point. The country is broke and you idiots just want to keep on stealing from the tax payers and giving to the savages. Ridiculous.

Since: Jun 07

Allentown Pa

#44 Dec 20, 2011
Lolz wrote:
If you give people free things all the time they aren't going to want to be self sufficient. In fact, they will adapt to their environment and become parasitic.
We should be teaching the underclass about self reliance and personal responsibility instead of how to hold out their hands in shameful begging.
Liberalism has brought us to this point. The country is broke and you idiots just want to keep on stealing from the tax payers and giving to the savages. Ridiculous.
Yeah, I've seen those countries with self reliance and self sufficiency. Rwanda is awesome this time of year.
The Truth

Allentown, PA

#45 Dec 20, 2011
sofa_king_cool wrote:
If the owner of the property doesn't mind getting 50% of the median rental cost for that apartment, then bummer for you. So all they do is sleep and drink? Again, bummer for you. It's obvious from your description that they are taking advantage of the system. There's no way they work from home, have disabilities, or actually qualify for section 8 housing which requires an income and payment from the tenant. No housing is free, not even section 8.
That's the point sofa stain, there are a lot of people taking advantage of the system. You get a couple who purposely doesn't get married but keep having children and the woman claims she's a single mom and gets assistance while the guy sells dope and drinks all day...don't think that happens? Guess again. As as for your "bummer for you" attitude towards the poster, no it is BUMMER FOR ALL THE HARDWORKING TAXPAYERS!!! The system needs a serious overhall.

Allentown Pa

#46 Dec 20, 2011
The Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
That's the point sofa stain, there are a lot of people taking advantage of the system. You get a couple who purposely doesn't get married but keep having children and the woman claims she's a single mom and gets assistance while the guy sells dope and drinks all day...don't think that happens? Guess again. As as for your "bummer for you" attitude towards the poster, no it is BUMMER FOR ALL THE HARDWORKING TAXPAYERS!!! The system needs a serious overhall.
Apparently you missed the sarcasm.
The Truth

Allentown, PA

#47 Dec 20, 2011
Lolz wrote:
I agree. If someone is not willing to try to help themself, they should not be given anything (and I'm NOT talking about disabled people). There are plenty of programs out there for those with ambition to become trained or educated, how many take advantage of that assistance? But this sofa idiot seems to have no problem rewarding and defending laziness. And has the nerve to say "don't like it, tough"...guess what, hard working people have had enough.

“Allentown the all AmericanCity”

Since: Sep 07

Allentown, PA

#48 Dec 21, 2011
My non-favorite moment in downtown Allentown was almost being shot during a holdup at the convenience store at 12 & Hamilton. The next was when my neighbor down the street was shot and killed. Then there was when my other neighbors house that was robbed.
Allentown, a wonderful place to live and work, if you can survive.
B lo Brown

Hazleton, PA

#50 Dec 22, 2011
We are Number One wrote:
My non-favorite moment in downtown Allentown was almost being shot during a holdup at the convenience store at 12 & Hamilton. The next was when my neighbor down the street was shot and killed. Then there was when my other neighbors house that was robbed.
Allentown, a wonderful place to live and work, if you can survive.
It sure is a hell hole...and soon it will be a hell hole with an arena, like that is going to solve anything. Then again, maybe they can stage gladiator type fights there.

“Dirk Duncum”

Since: Feb 07

Allentown

#51 Jan 1, 2012
My memories are from when the town was starting to decline, but there was still a pulse. Hanging out at the old Toones with the late great Eddie Circles Figueroa, Jays Subs, Brass Rail, Hess's, and yes drinking at the old Linden Hotel. We went to the Townhouse a few times too. Good times.
Livin here in Allentown

Allentown, PA

#52 Jan 1, 2012
I remember working at Hesses in the late 60s. I often worked late during the holiday season and walked 8 blocks home every night. Yet I never had any fear back then. There was little crime in those days, but I'll admit I was also naive and never gave a thought of what could have happened. All that changed. Of course, time changes everything. Nothing stays the same forever, but it shouldn't have to be that way where feeling safe is concerned. I soon realized after Allentown experienced its first serial killer - Harvey Miquel Robinson, and those unfortunate victims, that I could no longer take my safety for granted. Perhap's I was just lucky in those days when I walked home late at night, but I know I'd never be able to do that today, without running into trouble. It's a sign of the times and no place is really safe anymore. I hope the arena will bring some good changes to Allentown, but I'm not sure what that will bring or if it will help. I think the mayor has to try something, so perhaps this will be it. Not even the mayor has a crystal ball, so lets not be too negative before we have a chance to see if the arena turns out to be a success.
Livin here in Allentown

Allentown, PA

#53 Jan 1, 2012
ETA: I didn't mean to imply that the arena has anything to do with being safe in Allentown. I only mentioned the arena because it will possibly bring in some income for the city, and we need that.

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#54 Jan 2, 2012
FYI PPL doesnt Own the former Hess Building. It is Owned by Summit Realators.
F Hammerswanz

Emmaus, PA

#55 Jan 2, 2012
juggalotus1264 wrote:
And Juggy would know he's their number one Mall Cop! You go Mall cop, your number 1
F Hammerswanz

Emmaus, PA

#56 Jan 2, 2012
juggalotus1264 wrote:
Ya know Juggy I was giving you a compliment. I said, you were their number one mall cop, and you took offense to this, why? Can't pay you a compliment and you get all pissed off.

Allentown Pa

#57 Jan 2, 2012
juggalotus1264 wrote:
In fact PPL built the building for 60 million in 2003 and sold it for 83 million in 2006 for a healthy 36% profit of 23 million over only 3 years.
A-Town Observer

Mertztown, PA

#58 Jan 2, 2012
The thing i remember is when Dadona tore down the canapy things above the sidewalks so the bums had one less place to sleep. The whole area of 12 and hamilton.-east to 5th st. is falling apart. Along with the area from Union St. to lets say Green St. to be nice..I know plenty of ppl from Philadelphia, Nyc, and N. Jersey that have come here and seen the downtown area. ALL OF THERE first comments are along the lines of what a trashy city, i rember when blank was almost like this but not this run down and trashy. Then i say "thats because (whatever city) doesnt have the latino population that this little roach city has." FACT<<<<<

Allentown Pa

#59 Jan 3, 2012
A-Town Observer wrote:
The thing i remember is when Dadona tore down the canapy things above the sidewalks so the bums had one less place to sleep. The whole area of 12 and hamilton.-east to 5th st. is falling apart. Along with the area from Union St. to lets say Green St. to be nice..I know plenty of ppl from Philadelphia, Nyc, and N. Jersey that have come here and seen the downtown area. ALL OF THERE first comments are along the lines of what a trashy city, i rember when blank was almost like this but not this run down and trashy. Then i say "thats because (whatever city) doesnt have the latino population that this little roach city has." FACT<<<<<
The canopies were put up in 1974, a project put in place by Mayor Clifford "Chips" S. Bartholomew. They were torn down in 1996 by Mayor William Heydt.
The main problem is the slum lords that buy up and convert single family homes into multiple unit, low rent, unmaintained apartments that attract only the lowest rent tenants. Poor people, many of whom are Latino are here because they can afford to live here. If the homes were kept as single family homes they would cost more and those low rent tenants wouldn't be able to afford to be there.
A-Town Observer

Mertztown, PA

#60 Jan 3, 2012
sofa_king_cool wrote:
<quoted text>The canopies were put up in 1974, a project put in place by Mayor Clifford "Chips" S. Bartholomew. They were torn down in 1996 by Mayor William Heydt.
The main problem is the slum lords that buy up and convert single family homes into multiple unit, low rent, unmaintained apartments that attract only the lowest rent tenants. Poor people, many of whom are Latino are here because they can afford to live here. If the homes were kept as single family homes they would cost more and those low rent tenants wouldn't be able to afford to be there.
The main problem actually is that the majority of the absentee slum lords who turn single units into multiple units are from the same place there tenants are from; NYC, New Jersey,(and also India.) People with money to buy these trash investments follow where the most volnerable ppl go, cities like Allentown, Pa. Lets start with the root of the problem, were both smart enough to do so.
mjm

Bethlehem, PA

#61 Jan 5, 2012
Awe, I remember Hess's. My mom used to take me there when I was little, we used to shop and eat strawberry pie in the basement. The windows on the side of the store near where their pet store was used to have beautiful Christmas, Easter... displays. Sometimes we had ice cream at McCrory's. As a teenager we all used to hang out on Hamilton St. they called it the circuit because everyone used to drive around the blocks and talk to friends... No fights, no problems, just kids having fun. We all used to run around at night in our neighborhood playing tag and hide and go seek. Allentown has gone to he**. It's sad because it did used to be a great place. :0(

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Allentown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 7 min woodtick57 1,126,774
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 4 hr JOEL 70,100
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 8 hr cpeter1313 306,263
Mrs. Bush: History will vindicate her husband (Jun '08) 11 hr Just Saying 54,521
Man who shipped pot to wife's Allentown busines... 12 hr silly rabbit 1
Elias Market expansion denied by Allentown Zoni... 17 hr silly rabbit 6
16-year-old charged with attempted homicide in ... Wed silly rabbit 5

Allentown News Video

Allentown Dating
Find my Match

Allentown Jobs

Allentown People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Allentown News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Allentown

Personal Finance