Hamilton Street Memories

Posted in the Allentown Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Depressed and Angry

Hazleton, PA

#1 Dec 7, 2011
Look what these creeps did to our Hamilton Street. Do you remember Christmases on Hamilton Street? My friends, this was a shopping adventure

Remember how fun it was shopping in the snow? Remember all of the christmas lights in each and every shop? What about the streetlights, the Salvation Army people with extra larget bells and pots lining the sidewalk? Remember how we'd start at Hess Brothers, and slowly move down to H. Leh's and Zollinger's? Remember the big monument dressed up like a tree, and gigantic presents bolted to the bottom?

Memories.

They tore down Hess's. Yes, yes, I remember the reason: "Gotta bring it down 'cause it's a fire trap". No they brought it down because PPL wanted the spot. The Hess building would still be there if there was will and desire to preserve it. And look what they have done to Leh's.

The other evening I walked the whole length, from 12th Street down to 4th and the more I walked the more depressed I felt. To myself I kept saying "remember when this used to be...?".

Remember the christmas bell/ star lights with the flashers that made them look like they were ringing? As a kid, I used to love hugging the streetlight while looking up at the bells.

Pip the Mouse. Hess's would put the display in the store window to the right of the righthand entrance. Correct? And line outline the entire window in real evergreens. Nothing beats seeks Pip the mouse at night in the snow.

Maybe I am too sentimental for the Liberal Demos and Repu? Now they in the process of tearing down another large swath of building to make way for that arena.
Barna

Lehighton, PA

#2 Dec 7, 2011
i remember being robber at 11th and Court streets

Since: Jun 07

Allentown Pa

#3 Dec 7, 2011
Hess's was torn down because the property was bought for another use. Hess's went out of business because they expanded too quickly. BonTon bought them out. BonTon decided they didn't want to keep and maintain the center city location and put it up for sale. The property was first sold to put up a hockey arena that fell through due to a lack of funding by original planners. PPL then bought the property.
What are they tearing down to put up the arena? The old Dime Bank which has been basically empty for 10 years, a dollar store, a Rite Aid, a couple of empty apartments, a thrift shop, and a store that sells counterfeit name brand clothes? Good riddance. Outside a few decent restaurants and bars, there's really no reason to go downtown any longer. The arena will give us reason again to go there.
Mother of two

Bethlehem, PA

#4 Dec 7, 2011
There is nothing that they could build there at this point that is going to change the people that hang around down there....and as long as that gang/ghetto element is walking the streets, I won't be going to any arena. There are much safer places to take my family.
Ijiot Hunter

Philadelphia, PA

#5 Dec 8, 2011
Yeah! All because of THOSE people, right? Hockey Rink? The dentists favorite sport. They should rename Allentown - Palowskiville. Our very own Thunderdome.
John

Creamery, PA

#6 Dec 8, 2011
I remember seeing a shooting on 7th and Linden while driving by one night.. I don't remember the GOOD Allentown as I was born in the mid 80s.
Livin here in Allentown

Emmaus, PA

#7 Dec 8, 2011
John wrote:
I remember seeing a shooting on 7th and Linden while driving by one night.. I don't remember the GOOD Allentown as I was born in the mid 80s.
Sorry that you missed a great era. The 50s and 60s were awesome living in A-town. I often think back to those days. I know that change is inevitable, but I don't feel it was for the better. Population explosion, technology, politics and the economy have obviously been major factors. It's not easy to adapt when someone like me grew up in Utopia. I sometimes wonder what the future will be and what kind of world the generations to come, will be living in. Will there be enough food, water? Will prices of goods and necessities - the cost of living increase so dramatically as to not be affordable, because wage standards will not keep up with it?
Truth be told

Bethlehem, PA

#8 Dec 8, 2011
Ijiot Hunter wrote:
Yeah! All because of THOSE people, right? Hockey Rink? The dentists favorite sport. They should rename Allentown - Palowskiville. Our very own Thunderdome.
If by THOSE people you mean a bunch of thugs looking for weak people to prey on, I agree. I'll avoid that arena at all costs.
LV taxee

Orefield, PA

#9 Dec 8, 2011
Downtown Allentown's death warrant was signed when zoning was changed in the surrounding residential neighborhoods that allowed owners to split too many historic row-homes into numerous, cheap apartments. Then, the city failed to encourage historic preservation downtown, while Bethlehem did just so and succeeded. Now the city's answer is to steamroll everything while creating a tax sinkhole.
OvO

Creamery, PA

#11 Dec 9, 2011
My mother told me about how when she grew up on 7th St.(in the late 50s/early 60s) that everyone kept their doors unlocked, there was no crime to speak of, and everyone got along. Look at it now! The only thing that changed is whites moved out, and the 3rd world people moved in...

The truth can't be racist. Our beloved town was destroyed by bad politics and people's willingness to put their heads in the sand. So sad!
Livin here in Allentown

Emmaus, PA

#12 Dec 10, 2011
OvO wrote:
My mother told me about how when she grew up on 7th St.(in the late 50s/early 60s) that everyone kept their doors unlocked, there was no crime to speak of, and everyone got along. Look at it now! The only thing that changed is whites moved out, and the 3rd world people moved in...
The truth can't be racist. Our beloved town was destroyed by bad politics and people's willingness to put their heads in the sand. So sad!
Sadly, that is the real truth.
Fitus T Bluster

Winter Garden, FL

#13 Dec 10, 2011
Expecting normal human behavior from section 8 parasites is only going to lead to disappointment. these people are leaches and moochers, they move their filth and waste from location to section 8 location. everyplace the government dumps these maggots turns into a hell-hole. the government should buy a large tract of land and build the maggots their own little city, they should not be placed in working class neighborhoods, they could call the section 8 city PARASITE PARK.

Allentown Pa

#15 Dec 10, 2011
Fitus T Bluster wrote:
Expecting normal human behavior from section 8 parasites is only going to lead to disappointment. these people are leaches and moochers, they move their filth and waste from location to section 8 location. everyplace the government dumps these maggots turns into a hell-hole. the government should buy a large tract of land and build the maggots their own little city, they should not be placed in working class neighborhoods, they could call the section 8 city PARASITE PARK.
You do understand that if it wasn't for the many slumlords of the city taking advantage of the poor, we wouldn't have so many section 8 properties in the city.
No slumlords, no section 8 housing.
reality

Bethlehem, PA

#16 Dec 11, 2011
sofa_king_cool wrote:
<quoted text>You do understand that if it wasn't for the many slumlords of the city taking advantage of the poor, we wouldn't have so many section 8 properties in the city.
No slumlords, no section 8 housing.
While I'm no fan of the slumlords, I disagree with your comment about them "taking advantage of the poor"...the only ones being taken advantage of are the working class tax payers that are funding this nonsense.
Fitus T Bluster

Winter Garden, FL

#17 Dec 11, 2011
reality wrote:
<quoted text>
While I'm no fan of the slumlords, I disagree with your comment about them "taking advantage of the poor"...the only ones being taken advantage of are the working class tax payers that are funding this nonsense.
that`s why the taxes are so dam high, look at all the third world slugs who can`t even speak english and getting all the goodies.

Allentown Pa

#18 Dec 11, 2011
reality wrote:
<quoted text>
Absolutely they take advantage of the poor. They buy run down homes, put nothing into them, turn them into 2 or 3 apartments, then they charge the taxpayer, through HUD, for apartments in deplorable conditions.
They could buy a run down house, fix it up and flip it and make money too.
Many of these poor that you think are taking advantage of working class tax payers are working class themselves. There are a lot of people working at Walmart, Subway, McDonald's, etc that qualify for this type of housing. They're not taking advantage of us, they're serving us everyday. Where would you expect them to live?

Allentown Pa

#19 Dec 11, 2011
Fitus T Bluster wrote:
<quoted text>that`s why the taxes are so dam high, look at all the third world slugs who can`t even speak english and getting all the goodies.
Getting all the goodies? Do you honestly think they have it good?
Southern Fried Dead

Harrisburg, PA

#20 Dec 12, 2011
sofa_king_cool wrote:
<quoted text>Absolutely they take advantage of the poor. They buy run down homes, put nothing into them, turn them into 2 or 3 apartments, then they charge the taxpayer, through HUD, for apartments in deplorable conditions.
They could buy a run down house, fix it up and flip it and make money too.
Many of these poor that you think are taking advantage of working class tax payers are working class themselves. There are a lot of people working at Walmart, Subway, McDonald's, etc that qualify for this type of housing. They're not taking advantage of us, they're serving us everyday. Where would you expect them to live?
So as a tax paying citizen I am expected to give part of what I earn so they can have it just as good as me??? Maybe it's time to get a second or third job if you have it that bad, maybe it's time to get an education. I struggled for 10 years putting myself through school working two jobs. I lived in conditions that would scare most people. Never once did I go to others or the government for help. I DID IT MYSELF. There are opportunities for those with enough drive to go out and get it, but it doesn't come easy.

Allentown Pa

#21 Dec 13, 2011
Southern Fried Dead wrote:
<quoted text>
So as a tax paying citizen I am expected to give part of what I earn so they can have it just as good as me??? Maybe it's time to get a second or third job if you have it that bad, maybe it's time to get an education. I struggled for 10 years putting myself through school working two jobs. I lived in conditions that would scare most people. Never once did I go to others or the government for help. I DID IT MYSELF. There are opportunities for those with enough drive to go out and get it, but it doesn't come easy.
They have it just as good as you? You live in a roach infested, rotted front porch, 2nd floor apartment in a house that was once a single home? Maybe they should get a 2nd job or 3rd job? Who watches the kid if they have a kid? When do they sleep?
Face it, nobody likes being poor living in HUD housing. It's not someone's dream life. And considering you're middle or lower middle class (just a wild guess), you don't pay that much in taxes, and since the HUD budget is about 1/3000 of the federal budget, you're probably paying less than a single dollar a year toward these terrible people. Let's also not forget that a nationally, many that live in government housing are disabled and seniors, not the lazy you've been trained to think live in those conditions.
L Miron

Bethlehem, PA

#22 Dec 13, 2011
sofa_king_cool wrote:
<quoted text>They have it just as good as you? You live in a roach infested, rotted front porch, 2nd floor apartment in a house that was once a single home? Maybe they should get a 2nd job or 3rd job? Who watches the kid if they have a kid? When do they sleep?
Face it, nobody likes being poor living in HUD housing. It's not someone's dream life. And considering you're middle or lower middle class (just a wild guess), you don't pay that much in taxes, and since the HUD budget is about 1/3000 of the federal budget, you're probably paying less than a single dollar a year toward these terrible people. Let's also not forget that a nationally, many that live in government housing are disabled and seniors, not the lazy you've been trained to think live in those conditions.
I don't think anyone posting is refering to the "disabled and seniors" as you say. If you've ever taken a walk on hamilton street you'd see the problem is the able bodied young people carting around three kids while making no effort to better their situation, and most likely raising those children to be dependent on the government. As far as paying less than a single dollar- when you take into consideration food stamps, welfare, and an education system that is directly affected by these people who refuse to stop bringing more children into the world, I don't blame anyone for being angry about what it is costing them in taxes. What ever happened to personal accountability and taking responsiblity for your own actions? Since you seem to have no problem with it, you can pay my share.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Allentown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Teaman 1,418,518
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 3 hr ThomasA 311,613
News The sweet taste of BBQ is on the way to Allento... 4 hr pgh 2
News 'Vampire' flees from justice (Apr '08) 18 hr Don Jacobs 14
News Powder, pipes found in Acerra's home : The Morn... (Mar '07) Wed RightStuff 92
News The new Allentown Beer Festival: What's brewing Wed silly rabbit 1
News Get furnace checked or face a fine (Nov '14) Tue silly rabbit 114

Allentown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Allentown Mortgages