Disabled riders fault LANTA's Metro P...

Disabled riders fault LANTA's Metro Plus bus service

There are 26 comments on the The Morning Call story from Mar 12, 2008, titled Disabled riders fault LANTA's Metro Plus bus service. In it, The Morning Call reports that:

The Lehigh and Northampton Transportation Authority is getting busloads of criticism about late pickup and excessively long trips for disabled riders who use the agency's door-to-door service.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
LV Girl

Novato, CA

#1 Mar 12, 2008
The time service complaints don't surprise me at all. My father worked for Easton Coach as a driver of Metro Plus vans for years and I've heard first hand how the coordination of the van schedules has declined.

''And I think Easton Coach wants to find the answers, but we're not quite there yet.''

I can help you "get there". Look at your schedulers and dispatch. Why would you schedule a pick up in Easton to have your next pick up be in Allentown and then the 3rd one back in Easton?? Common sense tells you to schedule similar pick up times in nearby areas together.
west18018

Bethlehem, PA

#2 Mar 12, 2008
I've had problems all along. I have to call everyday to see if the bus picked up yet or not. Everytime I call they say the bus is 5min away and it takes them 30min to get here. Just yesterday I had an issue. I called and got dispatch who said the normal driver was out so they had to dispatch a new driver that was lost. I asked him why is there a new driver everyday for this pickup his answer was variety is a spice of life. He was rude as heck so I hung up on him called back and spoke to a Sup. who assured me that was not tolerated. Just goes to show what kind of morons work there.
RonMania

Easton, PA

#3 Mar 12, 2008
west18018 wrote:
I've had problems all along. I have to call everyday to see if the bus picked up yet or not. Everytime I call they say the bus is 5min away and it takes them 30min to get here. Just yesterday I had an issue. I called and got dispatch who said the normal driver was out so they had to dispatch a new driver that was lost. I asked him why is there a new driver everyday for this pickup his answer was variety is a spice of life. He was rude as heck so I hung up on him called back and spoke to a Sup. who assured me that was not tolerated. Just goes to show what kind of morons work there.
You're getting a ride for less than $3. You might be late for that unecessary therapy appt. Quit complaining & get a life & figure out another avenue to get where you need to be.
Disgusted

New York, NY

#4 Mar 12, 2008
Amazing how those that sit in the cheap seats b!tch the most.
Carl

Easton, PA

#5 Mar 12, 2008
RonMania wrote:
<quoted text>You're getting a ride for less than $3. You might be late for that unecessary therapy appt. Quit complaining & get a life & figure out another avenue to get where you need to be.
Lanta is government paid social welfare transportation. You are correct for less that 3 dollars a person can ride all day.

Since: Feb 08

Allentown

#6 Mar 12, 2008
Carl wrote:
<quoted text>
Lanta is government paid social welfare transportation. You are correct for less that 3 dollars a person can ride all day.
This is a great thing! Public Transportation is one of the only things Government should be involved in. This particular disabled situation is not good and needs to be rectified.
Cindy

Bethlehem, PA

#7 Mar 12, 2008
I think Metro Plus used delay tactics to inhibit most of the people from voicing their opinions on the quality of service.
Jerry

Bethlehem, PA

#8 Mar 12, 2008
to RonMania: Give me your car, you walk,then we'll see who moans and complains! Oh and take Lanta, idiot.
scooby

Novato, CA

#9 Mar 12, 2008
this is surprising??? lanta has rude, inconsiderate drivers on the regular routes, actually downright nasty would be a better description. it does not surpise me that there are problems with the "plus" service as well. lanta drivers ignore traffic laws - turn on red when the intersection is very, very clearly posted "no turn on red", & as for pedestrians - to a lanta driver "yield to pedestrians in a crosswalk" means try like hell to hit the pedestrians. i have witnessed lanata drivers trying to handle a huge bus while texting on a cell phone, reading, generally not paying any attention to the roads around them.
lanta needs to revamp the entire operation & soon.with gas prices continuing to escalate, more & more people will want to save by using mass transit. lanta needs more routes & more stops in business areas - industrial parks, etc.they need to run longer - people work 2nd & 3rd shift & need transport. wake up lanta.listen to the people who keep you in business.
Pachacutec

Fort Collins, CO

#10 Mar 12, 2008
RonMania wrote:
<quoted text>You're getting a ride for less than $3. You might be late for that unecessary therapy appt. Quit complaining & get a life & figure out another avenue to get where you need to be.
We have a similar service here in the DC area and they have many of the same problems. If someone needs to get to a dialysis treatment (not sure of spelling?) or something similar, time can be critical. And it's not just a matter of people being a few minutes late, or even a half hour, we're talking people who are left sitting for hours, waiting to be picked up. If Allentown, DC, or anyplace else is going to provide these services, the least they can do is have them pick up the people who need them on time.
Interested Shopper

Doylestown, PA

#11 Mar 12, 2008
scooby wrote:
this is surprising??? lanta has rude, inconsiderate drivers on the regular routes, actually downright nasty would be a better description. it does not surpise me that there are problems with the "plus" service as well. lanta drivers ignore traffic laws - turn on red when the intersection is very, very clearly posted "no turn on red", & as for pedestrians - to a lanta driver "yield to pedestrians in a crosswalk" means try like hell to hit the pedestrians. i have witnessed lanata drivers trying to handle a huge bus while texting on a cell phone, reading, generally not paying any attention to the roads around them.
lanta needs to revamp the entire operation & soon.with gas prices continuing to escalate, more & more people will want to save by using mass transit. lanta needs more routes & more stops in business areas - industrial parks, etc.they need to run longer - people work 2nd & 3rd shift & need transport. wake up lanta.listen to the people who keep you in business.
you claim that lanta has rude, inconsiderate drivers. Maybe because they have to put up with rude and inconsiderate passengers and motorists each and every day. I can't blame the drivers for the way they act.
RonMania

Easton, PA

#12 Mar 12, 2008
Interested Shopper wrote:
<quoted text>
you claim that lanta has rude, inconsiderate drivers. Maybe because they have to put up with rude and inconsiderate passengers and motorists each and every day. I can't blame the drivers for the way they act.
All that so you can get door to door service for $3. Find another way stupid.
Shirley

AOL

#13 Mar 12, 2008
My sister in law rides this bus service because it is so hard for her to get anywhere. When she calls to schedule her appointments have the time metro cant take her at the time she needs to be taken and the other half the times she has to sit for hours at her destination to be picked up, getting home way after the buildings have closed, and way after dark.
Jerry

Bethlehem, PA

#14 Mar 12, 2008
So what if a disabled person pays less than $3.00 per trip. They're disabled and can't afford more. The county subsidizes Metro Plus to do a good job and so far it's not happening under Easton Coach.
lantabusfan

Allentown, PA

#15 Mar 12, 2008
I would like to clearly state this.ECC dispatch is not to be held as one of the people that are responsible for the lateniss of pick-ups or drop offs.They are dealing with these schedualers like we are.There are mornings when I report for my shift I ask how many trips do you guys have to try and cover from scheudalling and they tell me almost 60 trips everyday they have to fid a home.We do our best we like all our riders.Not all of this invovles schedualing though.Riders are to be ready 15 minutes prior no matter what ur doing for you bus arrival.On thig that makes us late is give the extra 5 minutes time.Then the passenger info is not correct about being amblatory or wheel chair which takes 5 minutes to do the whole sha bang with those.I read all the complaints so far half is right half is wrong I won't side the differences but I'm willing to bet that RonMania is one of our riders but wants to sound like a big shot.Hell on my days off I take the bus to were I wanna go.aslong as it's not a erron that has to invove a car.GO MASS TRANSIT #1
Karen Smith-Quirk

Reading, PA

#16 Mar 12, 2008
These people running this program don't seem to get the idea that you need to put like people and geographal area togather on a trip. Not make tha driver go from Catasauqua Rd. to I-78 hospital and only giving the driver 10 min to get there, including pick-up and drop off's. The DRIVER'S are not miracal workers. They can't snap there fingers and poof they are there. Give them a break and take the blame and put it where it belongs. With the big wigs that don't think past there own pocket. Get someone in scheduling that knows what they are doing. And STOP YELLING AT DRIVERS FOR YOUR MISTAKES.
Karen Smith-Quirk

Reading, PA

#17 Mar 12, 2008
RonMania wrote:
<quoted text>All that so you can get door to door service for $3. Find another way stupid.
I think that people using the "door to door service for $3." are within their rights because they can't afford to buy or keep a car. And finding someone to help them out is not as easy as you think. So Don't tell them to find another way. How hartless are you?
Karen Quirk Allentown

Reading, PA

#18 Mar 12, 2008
For RonMania, If you don't think that people need the Metro pluss and the fixed routs of Lanta then maybe you should walk in a handiecaped persons shooes so to speek for, say 1yr. and 6then maybe you wouldn't be so fast to condem the ones that need to rely on someone else. Go green you idiot and ride a bike, or take the bus, you wouldn't stand for the treatment eather!!!!!!!
catty guy

AOL

#19 Mar 12, 2008
This service is often delayed by the customer/riders themselves. I actually stopped using a family doctor a couple years ago because he had so many patients using the Metro van service. The doctor's offices were so behind in taking care of them that the vans would back up like it was a depot. I know a driver who also says that the passengers are very often late. The van arrives on time, but the passenger is not ready. Multiply that by 30 passengers a day and you get way behind. Sure they should try harder at the bus company, but maybe the riders and their doctors should be more considerate, too.
fed up

Fairport, NY

#20 Mar 13, 2008
Carl wrote:
<quoted text>
You people are amazing, this service picks up my handicap family member to get him to work, not everyone lives off the system. You are a great bullsh%$%&*r and this service is very important and let me tell your child was to be scheduled to be picked up for school at 8:30 and they do not come until 10:30 and to be dropped off at 3:50 and dropped off at 2 pm lets see how you would react you ignorant son of a ^$^$

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Allentown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min Nostrilis Waxmoron 1,264,690
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 12 hr spocko 310,372
Construction to start on 33-story Allentown Lan... 14 hr silly rabbit 5
News Feds grant Allentown more time to submit documents Sun silly rabbit 1
News Hogar Crea, regional drug rehab group, ripping ... (Apr '08) Aug 1 Sergant of order 161
News Murderer to spend rest of life in jail Jul 31 free Heath 1
News Animal agents searching Upper Milford kennel on... (Oct '08) Jul 30 Zeusmom 206
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Allentown Mortgages