Gas prices climb 19 cents over 2 weeks, but remain below last y...

Full story: Chicago Tribune

The U.S. price of gasoline jumped 19 cents a gallon during the past two weeks, but remains well below prices from a year ago.

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 40 of135
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
True Dat

Naperville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2009

"but remain below last year's levels"

roofles!$6 gas coming later this summer, you heard it here first.
jimmy H

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2009

Rising oil and gas prices is nothing but a cleverly contrived conspiricy by the oil companies, traders, speculators, and investors, wall street and even some in our own gov`t to destroy the economy of America. Look at everything that has collapsed or gone bankrupt because of high gas and oil prices. I say `CAP AND LOCK` oil prices at $50.00 a barrel and gasoline at no more than $1.50 a gallon. I don`t like regulation but: for the preservation of America and saving it from total collapse,something drastic has to be done to control runaway greed that is destroying America. Where`s Obama and Biden when we need them??
sowhat

Northbrook, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2009

john wrote:
somebody needs to explain this so-called summer blend to me. I understand the concept but the execution doesn't make sense. It would seem to me that for the summer blend to work all storage tanks would need to be emptied and cleaned so as not to mix with the remaining blend. If they mix blends then the summer blend would just be awash in the regular blend.
Please don't reply saying it is just the greed, I am tired of hearing that. I understand all of the greed scenarios. I would just like this portion explained.
None of you answered John's question, which essentially was whether the tanks are purged, or whether the new sufficiently dilutes the old to not make a difference. I'll admit I don't have the answer, unlike some of you.
Long Island Taxpayer

Jersey City, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2009

Gas prices continue to rise even though gas inventories are up and people are driving less. The elevated gas and oil prices are all false prices due to the future traders who gambel on the price of oil and artificailly force the price up.

The federal goverment needs to stop futures trading on oil prices. These people buy and sell oil without ever tkaing ownership all with the sole purpose of forcing the price higher and make money at the expense of others.

Since: Jan 09

Fleetwood, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2009

A little research found that our near and dear oil companies have blatantly admitted that gas prices are too low to meet their profit goals so they have been buying up crude at the current lower prices and storing it until the retail prices increase to a point where they can capitalize by selling oil bought at low current prices at future higher retail price. They are currently at their storage capacity and are now storing in docked tankers. The other strategy they are using is shutting down gas refineries for "maintenance". This also creates artificial shortages of gasoline which drives up the retail price. There is a ton of oil just sitting in tanks just waiting for the oil companies to decide they have gouged the American public enough.
moreofthesame

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2009

Judged:

Why aren't the democrats blaming the president for these high oil prices. Oh, I forgot - they we just out to attack Bush, and of course they don't hold barry accountable.
Independent Voter Joliet

Joliet, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2009

jimmy H wrote:
Rising oil and gas prices is nothing but a cleverly contrived conspiricy by the oil companies, traders, speculators, and investors, wall street and even some in our own gov`t to destroy the economy of America. Look at everything that has collapsed or gone bankrupt because of high gas and oil prices. I say `CAP AND LOCK` oil prices at $50.00 a barrel and gasoline at no more than $1.50 a gallon. I don`t like regulation but: for the preservation of America and saving it from total collapse,something drastic has to be done to control runaway greed that is destroying America. Where`s Obama and Biden when we need them??
Are you kidding the DEMOCRATS want the oil prices high so you buy the new government motor cars.. the only ones you have right is the futures and spectualators which are being brought by our banks with our bailout money are making the prices go up..
Independent Voter Joliet

Joliet, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2009

sowhat wrote:
<quoted text>
None of you answered John's question, which essentially was whether the tanks are purged, or whether the new sufficiently dilutes the old to not make a difference. I'll admit I don't have the answer, unlike some of you.
A close friend of mine works for a refinery.. they add a lot of additives to each tank of gas.. the additives are expensive.. now when they go into the tanks it all mixes together and dilutes whats in the tank too.. you actually see prices raising so fast because of the amount of additives they have to add at the beginning of the summer blend to dilute whats in the tanks.. usually the price flattens out after a month or two (depending on the price of crude, this is only true if crude stays steady).. the refineries stay at a steady profit ratio the ones who make more are the states and local governments since they make more TAX REVENUE and those that ship the crude as they make the price fluctuate.
Long Island Taxpayer

Astoria, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2009

moreofthesame wrote:
Why aren't the democrats blaming the president for these high oil prices. Oh, I forgot - they we just out to attack Bush, and of course they don't hold barry accountable.
You don't think Obozo is going to do anything about the price of oil and gasoline, he's too busy saving Chrysler and GM for the UAW and federalizing the 2 auto companies.

Anyhting Bozo does on oil will raise the price such as no off shore drilling and closing down any additional drilling in Alaska.

Watched a show called "Ice Road Trucker" on the "History Channel" last nigh and found out that there is a Japanese company drilling for oil on the North Slope. Is that Japanese company drilling for oil for Japan? I would hate to believe that our prices keep going up while we are selling oil to Japan at the expense of the American people.
I hate SUVs

Hanover Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2009

OK people time again for "Don't fill your tank". I refuse to fill my tank when gas gets too high. I know I will have to buy gas again, but none of those bast___s are going to get a full tank's worth of blood out of me!
Lucky for me, I don't drive a fat-butted, gas-guzzling, road-hogging, blind the people behind you suv!
Independent Voter Joliet

Joliet, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2009

McLarenM8b wrote:
A little research found that our near and dear oil companies have blatantly admitted that gas prices are too low to meet their profit goals so they have been buying up crude at the current lower prices and storing it until the retail prices increase to a point where they can capitalize by selling oil bought at low current prices at future higher retail price. They are currently at their storage capacity and are now storing in docked tankers. The other strategy they are using is shutting down gas refineries for "maintenance". This also creates artificial shortages of gasoline which drives up the retail price. There is a ton of oil just sitting in tanks just waiting for the oil companies to decide they have gouged the American public enough.
You are so full of BS..The gas refineries NEVER said that.WHO DID SAY IT WAS THE DEMOCRATS they want EUROPEAN PRICED GAS IN OUR COUNTRY. first they only shut down part of a refinery at a time for maintenance it's called a TURN AROUND at which time they check ALL gauges,fittings and pipes. They change and repair what is needed.. I know this is a big inconvenience for everyone but NOT as big as it would be if it wasn't done.. Sorry no oil in tankers waiting to gouge the AMERICAN PEOPLE, just nuts like you spreading lies to fuel anger.. Problem is the EPA will not allow anymore refineries to be built.. another problem is if we drilled our own oil we have here we would not have to be controlled by OPEC and some others.. The ONLY thing the republicans had right was to drill our oil for use in our country ONLY.. and the Democrats said NO..
jimmy H

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2009

I have 1 question: WHERE`S OBAMA?? In a time America is being driven over the WATER(recovery?) FALLS,, WHERE ARE OUR LEADERS THAT PROMISED TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT??? Has he said anything about the rising gasoline prices that are deadening our recovery??

Fleetwood, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2009

Independent Voter Joliet wrote:
<quoted text>
You are so full of BS..The gas refineries NEVER said that.WHO DID SAY IT WAS THE DEMOCRATS they want EUROPEAN PRICED GAS IN OUR COUNTRY. first they only shut down part of a refinery at a time for maintenance it's called a TURN AROUND at which time they check ALL gauges,fittings and pipes. They change and repair what is needed.. I know this is a big inconvenience for everyone but NOT as big as it would be if it wasn't done.. Sorry no oil in tankers waiting to gouge the AMERICAN PEOPLE, just nuts like you spreading lies to fuel anger.. Problem is the EPA will not allow anymore refineries to be built.. another problem is if we drilled our own oil we have here we would not have to be controlled by OPEC and some others.. The ONLY thing the republicans had right was to drill our oil for use in our country ONLY.. and the Democrats said NO..
Wow, have some anger issues do we! The first sign a poster has nothing to offer a discussion is when they start off calling folks nasty names. An oil industry analyst and an oil company employee both stated those facts. Both of those individuals made those comments on a source even you would endorse...Fox News. Of course I wouldn't doubt that you would believe it unless it came from Rush's own lips.
Independent Voter Joliet

Joliet, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2009

McLarenM8b wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, have some anger issues do we! The first sign a poster has nothing to offer a discussion is when they start off calling folks nasty names. An oil industry analyst and an oil company employee both stated those facts. Both of those individuals made those comments on a source even you would endorse...Fox News. Of course I wouldn't doubt that you would believe it unless it came from Rush's own lips.
I only get angry when I hear BS, I know first hand what goes on in a refinery.. you only know what the bias mainstream media agenda pushes.. I did notice YOU seemed to ignore the comment by the DEMOCRATS about European priced gas.. makes YOUR story false.. refineries make 7% profit.. and depending on the refinery they are working on starting up NEW energy sources with that.. such as switch grass and oil sands.. What the h3ll does Rush or Fox News have to do with this?? I am a Conservative Democrat.. If someones not a Progressive sheep they are a Republican?? I am however after 40 years of voting for Democrats thinking seriously of never voting Democratic again but so so many are switching to Republican I'd feel like I was just following kinda like you.. I am loving watching the defections by those who are called names by their own party when they THINK OR DON'T FALL INTO LOCK STEP.. it didn't work for the Republicans when they tried to do it and it's working even less for the Democrats since they already know the game..
snowman allentown Pa

New Hope, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2009

And some people seem to forget that California could work their own way out of the tax situation they have IF they could drill offshore and get the taxes for that oil. But instead, pelosi wants China to come over here sit offshore,outside the territorial limits, and side drill for the oil. All this is legal and she , through her husband's business will make a haul.
Mark in Chicago

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2009

I can't believe some peoples opinions about gas prices and oil.
Did you all forget we want to move off of oil.
What we need is a national gas tax.
Say $3 a gallon to start with.
That should modify peoples behavior.

Can we do it?
Yes we can!
lounge lizzard

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2009

Mark in Chicago wrote:
Can we do it?
Yes we can!
It'll modify people right into unemployment and rapid inflation. Your idea will send the economy into an even deeper recession.

Can we elect a teleprompter-licking community activist to the Presidency?
Yes we can!
Mark in Chicago

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2009

Judged:

snowman allentown Pa wrote:
And some people seem to forget that California could work their own way out of the tax situation they have IF they could drill offshore and get the taxes for that oil. But instead, pelosi wants China to come over here sit offshore,outside the territorial limits, and side drill for the oil. All this is legal and she , through her husband's business will make a haul.
China can drill it all for what I care.
We will not dirty our hands with more oil.
Obama already has plans for new green and highly fuel effecient cars. We dont need more oil.

Fleetwood, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2009

Mark in Chicago wrote:
Can we do it?
Yes we can!
That would take what is left of our economy and send us into a recession that would make this one look like a minor setback. I admire your intentions and goals but the transition has to be much slower than that. By raising gas tax by $3.00 per gallon, what do you say to those that are just making ends meet now? How do marginal income people get to work or buy what they need if your idea is implimented? I can't afford to pay $5.50 to $6.00 per gallon. That means I can't get to work to earn a living to support my family. Do you sort of get the picture?

Fleetwood, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2009

Mark in Chicago wrote:
<quoted text>
China can drill it all for what I care.
We will not dirty our hands with more oil.
Obama already has plans for new green and highly fuel effecient cars. We dont need more oil.
Are you or President Obama going to buy me one of those new cars? I didn't think so. It's easy to talk like this and make statements like yours(as commendable as they are)but we have to live in today's real world with real expenses.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of135
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

20 Users are viewing the Allentown Forum right now

Search the Allentown Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Olive Oil 1,077,697
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) 3 hr Obamas Border Crisis 3,798
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) 3 hr Obamas Border Crisis 51,165
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 4 hr not a playa1965 305,060
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 15 hr Frijoles 68,341
Arena seats arrive in style 18 hr silly rabbit 10
Lehigh County to give parents extra time for ch... (Nov '07) 19 hr Scott Hoy 55
•••
•••

Allentown News Video

•••
•••

Allentown Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••