Gas prices climb 19 cents over 2 week...

Gas prices climb 19 cents over 2 weeks, but remain below last y...

There are 135 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from May 31, 2009, titled Gas prices climb 19 cents over 2 weeks, but remain below last y.... In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

The U.S. price of gasoline jumped 19 cents a gallon during the past two weeks, but remains well below prices from a year ago.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Your Creator

Downers Grove, IL

#1 May 31, 2009
Obama is obviously letting his greedy oil buddies get rich on the backs of hard-working Americans.
Kevin

New York, NY

#2 May 31, 2009
Try 27 cents in one day (this Friday) out in DeKalb.

Since: Dec 07

Chicago, IL

#3 May 31, 2009
Your Creator wrote:
Obama is obviously letting his greedy oil buddies get rich on the backs of hard-working Americans.
You are funny to me. Doesn't matter who is in office, it would be their fault that the oil buddies are getting rich. Here is a news flash Oh Creater, the purpose of any business is to MAKE MONEY. I know that may seem like a foreign concept to you Oh Creator but that's what happens. If they didn't make money then they wouldn't be in business.
john

Woodridge, IL

#4 May 31, 2009
somebody needs to explain this so-called summer blend to me. I understand the concept but the execution doesn't make sense. It would seem to me that for the summer blend to work all storage tanks would need to be emptied and cleaned so as not to mix with the remaining blend. If they mix blends then the summer blend would just be awash in the regular blend.
Please don't reply saying it is just the greed, I am tired of hearing that. I understand all of the greed scenarios. I would just like this portion explained.
Tic

Itasca, IL

#5 May 31, 2009
john wrote:
somebody needs to explain this so-called summer blend to me. I understand the concept but the execution doesn't make sense. It would seem to me that for the summer blend to work all storage tanks would need to be emptied and cleaned so as not to mix with the remaining blend. If they mix blends then the summer blend would just be awash in the regular blend.
Please don't reply saying it is just the greed, I am tired of hearing that. I understand all of the greed scenarios. I would just like this portion explained.
it's our wonderful government getting larger and putting more and more restrictions on the people,
I haven't seen any real solid evidence that the reformulated gasoline is making a big difference in air quality it's just emptying our pockets faster.

Since: Dec 07

Chicago, IL

#6 May 31, 2009
john wrote:
Summer grade gasoline costs more to produce as you need gasoline components that are more expensive to allow for a gasoline which emits less pollutants in the summertime heat and humidity.
Joe

Dekalb, IL

#7 May 31, 2009
The summer reformulation used to jerk the price $0.05 to $0.10. This time its more of a devalued currency play like last year. Blame president/Congress/Fed reserve for inflating. Change you can believe in!
Reverend Dewey Cox

United States

#8 May 31, 2009
There's only one reason gas prices increase be it for the Summer, Fall, Winter or Spring:

Because the gasoline/automobile addicts will pay it.
Mac

Danville, IL

#9 Jun 1, 2009
Where's the Department of Justice and the FTC?
Mad Again

United States

#10 Jun 1, 2009
I believe our Governor and Senators will look into this gas price issue, and get to the bottom of why we here in Illinois pay the highest for a gallon of gas. I also believe these representitives of ours will get those gas prices lowered for us consumers.

I also believe in the tooth fairy, and the Easter bunny.
ouchbabe

Palatine, IL

#11 Jun 1, 2009
thieves! supply & demand? free market?
It's still all George W Bush's fault!
the recession will now continue for till B-ho
gets bounced from office!
tom

Chicago, IL

#12 Jun 1, 2009
The establishment continues to fleece the American public.
There is absolutely no reason for the increase.
Jeff

Lake Forest, IL

#13 Jun 1, 2009
Demand is way down and supply is way up. Makes perfect sense that gasoline prices have surged nearly 100% since December. The free market system is perfectly healthy since it once again is rewarding the precious few oil companies/refiners which have cut back production significantly to drive up prices and the oil speculators who are once again making a tidy income betting that oil demand is going to rev up really soon. Don't channel all blame on OPEC for these prices.
Joeschmo

Michigan City, IN

#14 Jun 1, 2009
The media puppets instead of investigating the price increase ignore the fact that one year ago the price of a barrel of oil was $150.00 and the pump price was $3.99 a gallon. Now, the price of a barrel is $66.00 and the pump price is $2.99 a gallon. The math doesn't work here. We're being duped by our government, OPEC and the oil companies.
commonsense

Bolingbrook, IL

#15 Jun 1, 2009
They raise gas prices before EVERY HOLIDAY AND SUMMER!!
HELLO?????????? Leaking pipe or price change my a--!!
commonsense

Bolingbrook, IL

#16 Jun 1, 2009
Mac wrote:
Where's the Department of Justice and the FTC?
Depositing their kickback money from the gas hike!!!!?
Wench

Fort Wayne, IN

#17 Jun 1, 2009
STOP buying, and they lower the price - DUH!
Lally

Kulpsville, PA

#18 Jun 1, 2009
Of course there's a reason for the increase. People will pay higher prices and every company in every step of the supply chain is in business to make money and maximize profits. It's surprising to me that prices aren't higher.
tom wrote:
The establishment continues to fleece the American public.
There is absolutely no reason for the increase.
LackofAccountabi lity

United States

#19 Jun 1, 2009
Just another example of our own government making money off of the individual taxpayer. Boot them all to the Curb.
Independent Voter Joliet

Joliet, IL

#20 Jun 1, 2009
What a bunch of dummies.. number 1.. Crude is up listen to the news instead of AMERICAN IDOL.. 2. gas IS always higher in the summer since the government demands a SUMMER blend which is more expensive to produce but does burn cleaner.. NEXT you are so bent out of shape about GAS but we are giving BILLIONS to GOVERNMENT MOTORS to BAIL THEM OUT.. AND securing the PENSIONS of the workers.. but that's OK.. why?? Refineries in the U.S. have AMERICAN WORKERS TOO.. at least the refineries AREN'T getting BAILOUTS.. You people are more concerned about a quarter than a billion dollars.. WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU??? We can add to that list BANKS, CITIES, STATES.. Where are the jobs all our tax dollars are suppose to create?? Know how they figure out they created jobs?? Lets say a state is going to layoff 10,000 workers (private/state jobs) and the government sent them say stimulus money so they only had to lay off 2,000 the government figures by saving 8,000 jobs THEY CREATED THEM.. although those jobs already have workers.. no new workers were hired.. want to yell about something yell about that..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Allentown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Aquarius-wy 1,460,160
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 14 min Trumps Trailer Park 312,853
News Scientists say they have proved climate change ... (Dec '08) 3 hr ChromiuMan 7,948
News Obama says his White House is more transparent ... (Jul '09) 3 hr silly rabbit 13
News The Democratic Party Has Failed - We Need a Rad... 13 hr Cheekz3494 18
News Pawlowski pays to clean up corner office (Mar '06) Thu silly rabbit 4
News Should cats be allowed oudoors? (Mar '09) Wed mojocat 945

Allentown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Allentown Mortgages