Road Warrior - turning into nearest lane is nice, but not the law

ROAD WARRIOR ONLINE Read the Warrior's blog as he defends the drivers of the Lehigh Valley and reports on the roads they travel. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Summer Of Love

Allentown, PA

#23 May 8, 2009
Excuse Me wrote:
I beg to differ.
On page 35 of the latest PA Drivers Manual it states:
"If you are tunring onto a highway, which has more than one lane in the direction you wish to travel, turn into the closest lane going in that direction. If you want to change to another lane, wait until after you have safely completed your turn."
Most dual-turn intersections have turning lanes indicated with curved markings.
I thought the instructions given in the manual were the law, not for courtesy only.
I see the same in my copy of the book.
Summer Of Love

Allentown, PA

#24 May 8, 2009
Sue wrote:
Okay, so for everyone who has blared their horns at me for not turning right on red at Schaadt Ave and MacArthur road when the opposing traffic has a left turn arrow - go stuff it!
Very mature attitude.
One day it'll get you hurt.
Summer Of Love

Allentown, PA

#25 May 8, 2009
Amused Crack-er wrote:
"...trying to turn right on red..."
If the light is red, even if you are turning right, you must YIELD to oncoming traffic. If traffic is coming, don't turn. Stop trying to get nowhere fast and RELAX. Yes, driving on the local roads is all about ME ME ME ME and I HAVE to be in front of THAT car.
Right turn on red is only allowed when the way is clear .
amanda

Easton, PA

#26 May 8, 2009
Bottom line - if this lady has the red light then she needs to wait! No one needs to be courteos to her because again she has the red light. If the opposing traffic has a green light they should be able to go into whatever lane they want because they have the right to go, not the traffic that is at the red light. No one seems to understand this concept. I get off a lot by people that are turning right on red. Sure if no one is coming and you can proceed safely go right ahead, but when you cut someone off you should be smacked upside the head for not waiting your turn.

This happens all of the time at the George Washington Inn at Cedar Crest and Hamilton. When I get the left green arrow I like to go into the right lane because I want to make a right onto Reading and don't like to fight my way back over into that lane so I just get right into the right lane from the get go. But as soon as I get the green arrow all of the traffic coming down Cedar Crest that wants to turn right into town just keep going on red with no worries in the world. Hello - YOU HAVE THE RED NOT ME!!

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#27 May 9, 2009
And for all you idiots, if there are two turning lanes, turn into your lane not what ever one you feel like. There are other people on the road too. So many times I have been in a turning lane were there are two lanes able to turn, such as turning left from grape st. onto macarthur rd. and i'm in the right lane and i get stuck next to the idiot in the left lane trying to turn and come into my lane.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#28 May 9, 2009
And when I was learning to drive we were told to turn into the closest lane, not whatever lane we wanted to.
Sound Reasoning

Allentown, PA

#29 May 9, 2009
Summer Of Love wrote:
Right turn on red is only allowed when the way is clear .
Unfortunately, about 90% of the drivers believe it is "The Right To Turn on Red".

All traffic with merely a green light, must yield (stop!) and allow all those other drivers to exercise their RIGHT to turn on a red.
DLfrom1986

Council Bluffs, IA

#30 Sep 18, 2012
amanda wrote:
Bottom line - if this lady has the red light then she needs to wait! No one needs to be courteos to her because again she has the red light. If the opposing traffic has a green light they should be able to go into whatever lane they want because they have the right to go, not the traffic that is at the red light. No one seems to understand this concept. I get off a lot by people that are turning right on red. Sure if no one is coming and you can proceed safely go right ahead, but when you cut someone off you should be smacked upside the head for not waiting your turn.
This happens all of the time at the George Washington Inn at Cedar Crest and Hamilton. When I get the left green arrow I like to go into the right lane because I want to make a right onto Reading and don't like to fight my way back over into that lane so I just get right into the right lane from the get go. But as soon as I get the green arrow all of the traffic coming down Cedar Crest that wants to turn right into town just keep going on red with no worries in the world. Hello - YOU HAVE THE RED NOT ME!!
You should be turning into the closest lane anyway to avoid an accident for your sake. If you have enough of a gap to turn into the far lane you must have enough of a gap to do it after your turn if you keep your speed.
Its overall just better to turn into closest lane to avoid an accident. I have a single turn lane that branches into 2 lanes on a road close to me. Everyone makes wides turns into the far lane but me. One day on my way to work when I make my turn. I notice someone on my right turning the same way along with me in my blind spot. If I would of made a 'lazy wide turn' I would of hit this person. It would be their fault for turning from a Non-turn lane but I would of been late to work and had a bad day. So point made, turn into your closest lane
DLfrom1986

Council Bluffs, IA

#31 Sep 18, 2012
Sound Reasoning wrote:
<quoted text>
Unfortunately, about 90% of the drivers believe it is "The Right To Turn on Red".
All traffic with merely a green light, must yield (stop!) and allow all those other drivers to exercise their RIGHT to turn on a red.
Yeah I hate when people do that. I've also run into a ton of people who forget to yield when turning left on a green light. Its like if they dont see the sign to remind them they forget other cars coming at them also have a green light.

Overall be aware of your surroundings. Don't worry about how your driving, worry about everyone else.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Allentown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 13 min John Galt 1,153,055
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 3 hr JOEL 70,988
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 7 hr Country Girl 306,951
Allentown's West End Theatre District wins award 8 hr silly rabbit 1
Shula's Steakhouse Coming to Downtown Allentown 8 hr silly rabbit 8
Morganelli asks Northampton County officials fo... (Jun '09) Tue Gatsby 28
Amanda Seyfried: 'Small-town upbringing made me... (May '10) Tue Richard Kranium 5

Allentown News Video

Allentown Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Allentown People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Allentown News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Allentown

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 11:26 pm PST