Americus crunch puts tenants in jam : The Morning Call Online

For years, a childhood chum has been telling Jim Kerrigan he'd make a good car salesman and offering to set him up at the family dealership. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Tony

Wynnewood, PA

#24 Mar 7, 2007
Mark Mendelson is a real scapegoat for the politicians of Allentown! You guys wrote that crazy article blaming him for the destruction of the whole city. "The Nightmare of Allentown!" What a joke! I'm surprised he didn't sue you guys for that! And only Allentown would force businesses like Minichs to close!! Attention Allentown-YOU NEED BUSINESSES! BUSINESSES ARE STIMULATE THE ECONOMY. DO NOT DRIVE AWAY BUSINESSES FROM ALLENTOWN! Instead, Palowski would rather have another boarded up block is SLUM CITY! Thank you Mayor!

“If you can't take the heat....”

Since: Feb 07

Lower Macungie

#25 Mar 7, 2007
Moron. If Mendelson would have taken care of any of his properties the city wouldn't be forced to take the action they have. Mendelson owes the city back taxes, back water bills. Has allowed the building to sit without heat or fire suppression systems for years now. The building is full of open electrical boxes and circuit breakers.
I have no idea what kind of businessman buys properties, allows them to fall apart without sinking a penny into improvements then expects to somehow make money. This entire problem was brought on by one person. Mark Mendelson.

“Let's Spend and Borrow Forever”

Bethlehem, PA

#26 Mar 7, 2007
Will you geniuses from Merion Station please explain why Mendelsohn does what he does? He's been at it up here for about 20 years. Why buy a building and let it decay?
Allentown's government has a lot to answer for, but blaming it for this fellow's debacles is mistake.
He's the one who's helped drive businesses out by making the streets even worse.
Tony

Wynnewood, PA

#27 Mar 8, 2007
When Mendelson bought the Americus, he dumped millions into restoration. If you recall, the Hotel, prior to his purchase, was worse off than it is in its' current "uninhabitable" condition. Mendelson restored the Americus and was honored for it! Sure Mendelson has let the Americus decay, but as a businessman myself I would be hesistant to dump money into a city like Allentown! Somebody buy the poor guy out with a reasonable offer and let's see if you can restore the wonderful Americus back to its' historic charm! Talk is Cheap!

“Let's Spend and Borrow Forever”

Bethlehem, PA

#28 Mar 8, 2007
The above is partly true, he did have some work done in the place, but there is no way it was worse before he bought it than it is now. As for winning awards, who cares, they are meaningless.
All that matters is what state it is in now: uninhabitable, short of codes, unsafe. Can't be defended.
So why does Mendelson buy things and then watch them deteriorate? Where is the gain.. hmmm...

Lower Macungie

#29 Mar 8, 2007
He should have sold it before. I'm guessing you're a friend of his. Because there would be no other reason why a person from Merion Station would have any interest at all in Mendelson and his property dumps.
Mendelson has created his own problems. Plenty of other hotels have sold and are full of tennants.

“I hate you”

Atown Stomp

#30 Mar 8, 2007
Pat Green wrote:
If Jack and Pearl lose their store I am finished shopping anywhere in Allentown. If they must leave a business after all these years they should be compensated with a sum of money that is suitable for their retirement. At 78 yrs of age it is a huge mountain to climb to relocate. And the suggestion that East Allentown needs a jewelry shop is ludicrous. What a cruel city , what a cruel mayor!!!
Pat, what are you smoking?? Sure it may suck they have to leave, but why the frig should they be compensated?! They LEASED a store front. If they were too stupid to plan for their retirement, oh well. So if my company's building burned down (believe me, sometimes I really wish it would) they chould compensate me with enough money for retirement??!! Someone give me a match!!!! Idiot

“I hate you”

Atown Stomp

#31 Mar 8, 2007
Gilmore wrote:
Im sory spin was the name of the clum in the americus. I was thinking of a club in miami I was at.
Gaymore, what is a clum?

LMAO

I remember Spin...had alot of fun there...

“Bethla-Rican”

Bethlehem, Pa

#32 Mar 8, 2007
Scrappy wrote:
<quoted text>Gaymore, what is a clum?
LMAO
I remember Spin...had alot of fun there...
I was the friday night DJ

“I hate you”

Atown Stomp

#33 Mar 8, 2007
LV Jibaro wrote:
<quoted text>I was the friday night DJ
Really dawg? I used to roll my face off up there. LMAO

“Bethla-Rican”

Bethlehem, Pa

#34 Mar 8, 2007
Scrappy wrote:
<quoted text>Really dawg? I used to roll my face off up there. LMAO
Yeah man..."Flair Fridays"...good times in that place, too bad they ran it into the ground
Tony

Wynnewood, PA

#35 Mar 8, 2007
Allentown Sucks! Harvey Swallows!
Michael Dipietro

Wynnewood, PA

#36 Mar 8, 2007
haha I remember Spin, that club was bomb! I actually use to barback there, and I was there when Devito and Skribble were spinnin. I was young then so it was real exciting. I remember HATING "flair fridays" though because the music was awful! If spin got a better Friday Night DJ they would probably still be open!! Well, that, and if Mendelson wasn't the owner!

Lower Macungie

#37 Mar 8, 2007
Tony wrote:
Allentown Sucks! Harvey Swallows!
You got me there internet tough guy.
That was a good one Mr Mendelson.
CLEAR

Philadelphia, PA

#38 Apr 24, 2007
oh my

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Allentown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Christie's budget proposes pension overhaul, be... Thu jordennancy23 1
Gov. Christie to Hold First Town Hall in Five M... Feb 19 civilliberty 1
Review: Mercer County Food Stamp Office & Welfare Feb 16 linda 1
bordentown adult video store (Nov '09) Feb 13 Denny 51
Potential Christie campaign manager signs with ... Jan '15 Dr Wu 5
Who do you support for U.S. House in New Jersey... (Oct '10) Aug '14 Crack Corn 34
Allentown, NJ Imposes New Sewer Tax That Furthe... (Jul '13) Feb '14 Snitches you out 2

Allentown News Video

Allentown Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Allentown People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 9:32 pm PST