Americus crunch puts tenants in jam :...

Americus crunch puts tenants in jam : The Morning Call Online

There are 35 comments on the The Morning Call story from Mar 2, 2007, titled Americus crunch puts tenants in jam : The Morning Call Online. In it, The Morning Call reports that:

For years, a childhood chum has been telling Jim Kerrigan he'd make a good car salesman and offering to set him up at the family dealership.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Pat Green

Long Beach, CA

#1 Mar 2, 2007
If Jack and Pearl lose their store I am finished shopping anywhere in Allentown. If they must leave a business after all these years they should be compensated with a sum of money that is suitable for their retirement. At 78 yrs of age it is a huge mountain to climb to relocate. And the suggestion that East Allentown needs a jewelry shop is ludicrous. What a cruel city , what a cruel mayor!!!
LV Dem

Easton, PA

#2 Mar 2, 2007
It's really a crappy situation but the blame needs to be laid at the feet of a slum lord who allows building after building to fall into disrepair and endangers the quality of life in the city. It was a miricle that the buildings across the street didn't have to be torn down, especially in light of the Colonial Theator's eventual down fall. I feel for the business owners, but I don't blame the city on this one. Blame Mendelson. The guy is a slum lord and I'm glad the city is finally getting it right on him.

Oh, if I were to place a bet, I would say that this sale proposal will initially be accepted and then fall apart. Call it history.

“Snoopie1”

Since: Mar 07

Allentown, Pa.

#3 Mar 2, 2007
I patronize both of these places and really do feel for them, hopefully something good will become of a bad situation.

“Howdy, Ya'll!”

Since: Feb 07

Allentown

#4 Mar 2, 2007
Pat Green wrote:
If Jack and Pearl lose their store I am finished shopping anywhere in Allentown. If they must leave a business after all these years they should be compensated with a sum of money that is suitable for their retirement. At 78 yrs of age it is a huge mountain to climb to relocate. And the suggestion that East Allentown needs a jewelry shop is ludicrous. What a cruel city , what a cruel mayor!!!
Why punish even more A-Town businesses? The other businesses in Allentown have nothing to do with this debacle.

I only know what i read in the paper about this story...but it seems quite clear that Mendelsen is a problem, and tenants of his should have been aware of the risks of renting from him. As a small business owner myself, I would NEVER sink my business into one of his properties.
Reader

San Jose, CA

#5 Mar 2, 2007
"the city intends to turn off utilities to the high-rise at Hamilton and N. Sixth streets because officials say it's ... in danger of pieces of the structure crumbling to the street."

Yep. Turning off the utilities will certainly prevent pieces of the structure from falling to the street.

Just another example of Allentown's corrupted logic.
Realist

San Jose, CA

#6 Mar 2, 2007
MonkeyMomma wrote:
<quoted text>
...but it seems quite clear that Mendelsen is a problem, and tenants of his should have been aware of the risks of renting from him. As a small business owner myself, I would NEVER sink my business into one of his properties.
I don't think Mendelsen owned the property 70 years ago, when some of these businesses first opened up at this location.

“If you can't take the heat....”

Lower Macungie

#7 Mar 2, 2007
Pat Green wrote:
That's just silly. Blaming the city for actually enforcing building code laws. As the Mayor had said, "they should have seen this coming". How could you not see this coming. Mendelson purchased many properties in the city, then does nothing with them, NOTHING. They sit and rot. I know for a fact, I've been inside, that there is no fire suppression system, no sprinklers and open wires everywhere. The building is a major hazard, and as a firefighter I wouldn't want to go into a 13 story maze of wires and crumbling walls to put out a preventable electrical fire. I feel sorry for all the store owners, but it's been 5 years since Mendelson bought the property, and 5 years since any money has been put into the property.
The city is doing what it MUST do, and I think offering $3000 to assist the store owners to move is more than they have to do. They could just board the place up and say too bad, but they're not. They're giving everyone a fighting chance. Too bad the buildings owner didn't.

“Bethla-Rican”

Bethlehem, Pa

#8 Mar 2, 2007
Why is this taking so long...get rid of the guy already.

“Howdy, Ya'll!”

Allentown

#9 Mar 2, 2007
Realist wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think Mendelsen owned the property 70 years ago, when some of these businesses first opened up at this location.
That's true. And believe me, I feel for the business owners, I really do!

But part of any business plan is responding to the business environment. When you pay rent to a known slum lord, and keep your business in a building that is a targeted site for clean-up by the city, you'd better have a plan to deal with potential fall-out. This is not a "surprise" to me, why would it be a surprise to the folks running their livelihoods out of this building??? Surely they saw the writing on the wall before Pawlowski's edict.

Put yourself in the mayor's shoes --- what else can he do?
Lissa

Allentown, PA

#10 Mar 2, 2007
I think it's funny that this Minnich Jewelry store is upset that they have to close. This building is in disasterous shape, and your landlord is doing squat about it! That is not the city's fault, it's your landlords fault.
Billy Bob

Macungie, PA

#11 Mar 2, 2007
Reader wrote:
"the city intends to turn off utilities to the high-rise at Hamilton and N. Sixth streets because officials say it's ... in danger of pieces of the structure crumbling to the street."
Yep. Turning off the utilities will certainly prevent pieces of the structure from falling to the street.
It will prevent an electrical fire. The scaffolding on the sidewalk now being erected will prevent things from falling on people.

“Christian Conservative”

Allentown

#12 Mar 2, 2007
and............I still can't stand this type of forum.....I'm signed in, but my profile doesn't show up, it only showed up the first day....ugh

“Christian Conservative”

Allentown

#13 Mar 2, 2007
oh my gosh!
Realist

San Jose, CA

#14 Mar 2, 2007
MonkeyMomma wrote:
<quoted text>
But part of any business plan is responding to the business environment. When you pay rent to a known slum lord, and keep your business in a building that is a targeted site for clean-up by the city, you'd better have a plan to deal with potential fall-out. This is not a "surprise" to me, why would it be a surprise to the folks running their livelihoods out of this building??? Surely they saw the writing on the wall before Pawlowski's edict.
Put yourself in the mayor's shoes --- what else can he do?
I am not a business man myself, but I would think that after 70 years, the business's location is one of its most valuable assets. I mean, move locations and I am sure you will loose most of your customers. I mean, consistency and habit are important, and change locations and you break that habit. They can just as easily, now, find a new store as then can find your new location.

The mayor can do what ever it takes to keep these businesses open, and in their current location. Allentown consistently, from mayor to mayor, as this one consistent theme. They love business, but hate people. The fallacy in that logic is that people are the owners, employees, or customers of any business.

“If you can't take the heat....”

Lower Macungie

#15 Mar 2, 2007
Reader wrote:
Corrupted logic? You mean like taking out an excerpt from that quote? The original quote was "because officials say it's a fire hazard and in danger of pieces of the structure crumbling to the street." Common sense would say that a poorly maintained building with poorly maintained yet active electrical system is a fire hazard. That's not corrupted logic, whats corrupt is changing a quote to change the intent.
Wouldn't you say that the Mayor has the obligation to keep the citizens of Allentown and it's emergency responders as safe as possible? I say job well done, should have been done sooner though.
jeff

Bethlehem, PA

#16 Mar 2, 2007
Blame the landlord not the city. Be a shame to see this great old building torn down.
Phil

Kernersville, NC

#17 Mar 2, 2007
It is a terrible shame for the merchants who occupy the Americus and are now forced to leave. It is as much of a shame to have what could be one of the most beautiful buildings in center city Allentown crumble before our eyes. I am sure there is more to the story than we know however, it would be a huge benefit if we could take this out of the hands of the present landlord, (who I cannot believe gets away with what he does) and into the hands of investors, willing to turn this structure around. I wish I had the money to do it myself.

“Bethla-Rican”

Bethlehem, Pa

#19 Mar 2, 2007
Gilmore wrote:
Mendelson Is the distruction of Allentown Almost every one of his properties in allentown ar like the americus. Get this ass out of this city. he does not care about Allentown that is why he lives in villanova in that huge house he got just because he was a spoiled rich kid that still acts like a child.
Ever meet his son Seth...wierd dude.

“Bethla-Rican”

Bethlehem, Pa

#22 Mar 2, 2007
Gilmore wrote:
no but I know the old owner of space the club that was on the first floor and basement of the americus.
It was club "Spin", great place...Seth was one of the owners, the old man would stop in from time to time, they are both very strange. Imagine the worst stereotype you can think of for "eccentric rich family" and there you go. Would barely look anyone in the eye, never seemed to be listening to you, very condescending to this entire area and the "locals", effeminate hand shakes etc....I totally understand why it is hard to do any type of business with them.
Jerry

Bryn Mawr, PA

#23 Mar 7, 2007
"he does not care about Allentown that is why he lives in villanova in that huge house he got just because he was a spoiled rich kid that still acts like a child."
Mendelson was not a spoiled rich kid. He actually came from nothing and is totally self made. Get your facts straight before you speak.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Allentown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
test May 26 Fife 5
News Raw: NJ Man Surrenders After 35 Hour Standoff May 12 BuildTheWall 1
News Fire inside Hightstown rug mill ruled accidenta... Apr '17 jediny 1
Norcross Dictates South Jersey Elections Apr '17 No More Norcross 1
Looking for a sexting buddy (Apr '13) Apr '17 Tgoodwin 5
What is Utopia? Is it possible? (Sep '14) Apr '17 Scottmen 2
Now Hiring Mar '17 Jcsweigart 1

Allentown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance