Ecorse -- REMEMBER WHEN ....

“Dis guy is a nut.”

Since: Jun 11

Ecorse, Michigan

#4972 Feb 5, 2013
You've read my later life posts. Call it more like "Stoopid, stooopider and stooooopidist." The more I think back, the more I have to really "Laugh Out Loud". As I have always said, "God watches over fools and drunks." All us fools just loved growing...(not really up) in Ecorse at thet particular time. We were so...so lucky and blessed. Good night, Hon.
B. B.
ken

Washington, DC

#4973 Feb 5, 2013
I love reading abou t the old times in ecorse makes me wish I was there. I lived in ecorse from 83 - 94 till I finished school and I loved it there

Since: Nov 09

Mcallen, TX

#4974 Feb 11, 2013
My uncle died last week from Mesothelioma that he acquired while working at Great Lakes Steel. I wonder how many of us that worked there in the 50's and 60's are going to die of this exposure to asbestos and not even know it. Remember the asbestos gloves, jackets, pants and other asbestos in stuff we didn't even know about? This cancer can sit in your body for years before it gets bad.
Atl Girl

Cumming, GA

#4975 Feb 11, 2013
OldRaider wrote:
My uncle died last week from Mesothelioma that he acquired while working at Great Lakes Steel. I wonder how many of us that worked there in the 50's and 60's are going to die of this exposure to asbestos and not even know it. Remember the asbestos gloves, jackets, pants and other asbestos in stuff we didn't even know about? This cancer can sit in your body for years before it gets bad.
Very sorry to hear about your uncle , OR. My spouse worked there for a couple of years & said you couldn't eat in the open @ ZUG island since the air would contaminate the food & cause cancer. Didn't know about the asbestos gloves, etc.
Cool breeze

Saint Petersburg, FL

#4976 Feb 14, 2013
OldRaider wrote:
My uncle died last week from Mesothelioma that he acquired while working at Great Lakes Steel. I wonder how many of us that worked there in the 50's and 60's are going to die of this exposure to asbestos and not even know it. Remember the asbestos gloves, jackets, pants and other asbestos in stuff we didn't even know about? This cancer can sit in your body for years before it gets bad.
Sorry to hear about your uncle. I worked at the main plant and zig island. We didn't have lockers so we had to drive home covered with that nasty stuff.
Mr Basil

Brighton, MI

#4977 Feb 28, 2013
Cool breeze wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry to hear about your uncle. I worked at the main plant and zig island. We didn't have lockers so we had to drive home covered with that nasty stuff.
Neither you or old 54 workrd that hard on "Zig Island". I'm not sure you can develop cancer in 6 months at GLS.I be more worried about getting a limb cut off by flying sheet metal
Cool breeze

Miami, FL

#4978 Feb 28, 2013
Mr Basil wrote:
<quoted text>
Neither you or old 54 workrd that hard on "Zig Island". I'm not sure you can develop cancer in 6 months at GLS.I be more worried about getting a limb cut off by flying sheet metal
"Workrd"
Atl Girl

Cumming, GA

#4979 Mar 2, 2013
Mr Basil wrote:
<quoted text>
Neither you or old 54 workrd that hard on "Zig Island". I'm not sure you can develop cancer in 6 months at GLS.I be more worried about getting a limb cut off by flying sheet metal
. Mr Basil, If you're not sure, why make this statement? And I assume you're a very hard worker.
Buckeye Spouse

Wyandotte, MI

#4980 Mar 3, 2013
Old Raider from Old Buckeye Spouse- Miss u guys & we were saddened by your loss..Brother was exposed to that at DTE but I believe did not take a settlement while Jo's husband did. What sort of settlement = your life? I think we are ALL exposed to so much s--t growing up in the Coast not all bad but certainly an unhealthy environment. Son went to Mt had No problems but as soon as he returned- wham problems! Downriver although a great place to raise a family, unfortunately has pollution everywhere. Again sorry for your loss
Buckeye Spouse

Wyandotte, MI

#4981 Mar 3, 2013
Zug Island? Yep husband was there- nasty stuff. Burnt in soaking pits, any compensation for that. Nope "Thataboy" was the comment from supervisors
Anonymous

Panama City, FL

#4982 Mar 3, 2013
Many found memories growing up in Ecorse!!!!
Anonymous

Panama City, FL

#4983 Mar 3, 2013
32 Ridge St wrote:
Many fond memories growing up in Ecorse!!!!
Fond
Cindy McKay Courtney

Port Charlotte, FL

#4984 Mar 3, 2013
Bulldog wrote:
<quoted text>
There were alot of Comerzans. Jack the eldest, then Jill who is married to Dave Marcott, Diane, then their were also twins but I don't remember their names. They live in 1st street near Southfield and their home backed up to the railroad tracks. Jill was one of my first sweethearts at the ice rink, good memories.
The twins were named Denise and Debbie.
Anonymous

Panama City, FL

#4985 Mar 3, 2013
I do really remeber Mrs. Lewis!!! The Hockey MOM, what happened to her?
Anonymous

Panama City, FL

#4986 Mar 3, 2013
remember
Anonymous

Panama City, FL

#4987 Mar 3, 2013
One of her boys married a girl, her brother was named Jack, I think red head kid. We used to hang out...
Mr Basil

Brighton, MI

#4988 Mar 5, 2013
Atl Girl wrote:
<quoted text>. Mr Basil, If you're not sure, why make this statement? And I assume you're a very hard worker.
I'm sure!
Otis 1969

Saint Clair Shores, MI

#4989 Mar 7, 2013
Buckeye Spouse wrote:
Zug Island? Yep husband was there- nasty stuff. Burnt in soaking pits, any compensation for that. Nope "Thataboy" was the comment from supervisors
Buckeye Spouse, you mentioned health in one of your prior posted or an email. Just checking to see if you are ok, hope so.
Buckeye Spouse

Wyandotte, MI

#4990 Mar 7, 2013
Thanks "Otis 1969" for the health comment.. we are in pretty good shape for old folks- ha ha. Sister from the 1965 class has been fighting with health issues for years so having descent health is quite a treasure. Hope you have yours..Plus at least 2 friends from the good ole EHS passed: Kimmery & Sue. Many had passed at the last reunion..sad
Life is pretty darn short but the memories on this site are a lot of fun to think about...

Anyone have stories about the teachers? Mr Lenox was a fr...ing nut case but others were pretty darn good! Mr Ken Fuller, Mr John Ready, Mr Piper. And does anyone remember how clean the locker rooms were? Gosh Mrs ? Smurda was a drill sgt keeping that room clean in her little "cage" area where the towels & swimsuits were all folded per size/color. I know the guys may NOT have had to deal with suits but I enjoyed swimming with the ugly suits! Our PE teacher even made everyone take showers! Times have sure changed!
(excuse my spelling this site does not have spell check & it drives me crazy)..

“Dis guy is a nut.”

Since: Jun 11

Ecorse, Michigan

#4991 Mar 8, 2013
Buckeye Spouse wrote:
Thanks "Otis 1969" for the health comment.. we are in pretty good shape for old folks- ha ha. Sister from the 1965 class has been fighting with health issues for years so having descent health is quite a treasure. Hope you have yours..Plus at least 2 friends from the good ole EHS passed: Kimmery & Sue. Many had passed at the last reunion..sad
Life is pretty darn short but the memories on this site are a lot of fun to think about...
Anyone have stories about the teachers? Mr Lenox was a fr...ing nut case but others were pretty darn good! Mr Ken Fuller, Mr John Ready, Mr Piper. And does anyone remember how clean the locker rooms were? Gosh Mrs ? Smurda was a drill sgt keeping that room clean in her little "cage" area where the towels & swimsuits were all folded per size/color. I know the guys may NOT have had to deal with suits but I enjoyed swimming with the ugly suits! Our PE teacher even made everyone take showers! Times have sure changed!
(excuse my spelling this site does not have spell check & it drives me crazy)..
Please jump to page 218. I did a little memory about some of the teachers who stood out in my mind. I was going to to another chapter, but got lazy or distracted. Hope you like it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Allen Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BLAC Magazine lists best ways to celebrate Blac... 23 hr Mikeymike116 5
AK Steel/UAW contract Mar 27 Truth 12
als motorcycle repair Mar 25 harley 1
News Sharia scare threatens religious freedom (Nov '10) Mar 25 mikebank 16
Muslims ( LAKE OF FIRE ) FOREVER Mar 21 unless you repent 1
Jesus Christ ( IS GOD ) REPENT Mar 20 War On Christ 1
Repent And Believe The Gospel Of Jesus Christ Mar 20 War On Christ 1

Allen Park Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Allen Park Mortgages