DEQ connects arsenic contamination to...

DEQ connects arsenic contamination to Allegan Co. food plant

There are 33 comments on the WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan story from Jun 3, 2008, titled DEQ connects arsenic contamination to Allegan Co. food plant. In it, WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan reports that:

It started with a letter three weeks ago Tuesday. "I was pretty shocked," Randy Lozar recalled in an interview with 24 Hour News 8. He was shocked to read that the water he and his family drink is contaminated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Og the Caveman

Grand Rapids, MI

#21 Jun 4, 2008
Birdseye will move away and leave it to our tax dollars to take care of their mess.
The CEO NEEDS his huge amounts of money. The expense of the health of the nearby residents does not matter.

“michigan weather?!?”

Since: Apr 08

middleville mi

#22 Jun 4, 2008
Maggie wrote:
Call Erin Brokovich
lol just what i was thinking
Michigan Ag First

Stevensville, MI

#23 Jun 4, 2008
ST Mason wrote:
A reduced oyxgen situation can allow the arsenic to become mobile in groundwater. Now, as far as the DEQ being an environmental watchdog group, that's simply not the case. The DEQ doesn't make the laws, they only enforce the laws. Talk to you legislators, they're the law makers. I don't know why agriculture thinks so poorly of the DEQ. Dept. of Agriculture is the regulatory agency that oversees them.
St,

You're right, the MDA is our regulatory agency. However, due to new laws enacted by our state at the behest of our governor, the DEQ is now involved in the permitting of any large animal feeding operation, as well as being involved in any actual or allaged discharge from a farm. The DEQ has consistentatly tried to trump the MDA for the right to regulate farms.
Ariasis

Belleville, MI

#24 Jun 12, 2008
Sounds like MDA wasn't getting the job done with regards to regulating large scale animal operations so the DEQ was called in. Makes sense to call them in after all they have the experience dealing with sewage run off and reclamation and it would be a drain on state resources to develop another branch of the MDA.
Chris

Holland, MI

#25 Jun 16, 2008
This is all really easy for people to sit and talk about, especially since it does not affect them. My family happens to be one that is affected. It is a very large issue to us, My home is now worthless, not that I want to but I could not sell if I did. There is not a bank or finance company around that will give someone a loan for a house with a contaminated well, and obviously drilling a new one is out of the question. I would only pay around $3000 for a new contaminated well does not make any sense to me!!!! I also have issues with the laundry, We now have to spend extra money for chemicals to add to the wash so our clothes do not stain to the point where they are junk, not to mention the fact my children cannot use the pool because we cannot get the water cleaned up, even after $300 worth of chemicals. I just put the pool in last year and the liner is already stained to the point of no return. Who eats the cost for that one? The botton line is the whole fiasco is costing tons of $$$ and Birds Eye doesn't care. They will just shut down and move on leaving us (the innocent homeowners) to foot the bill for all their irresponsibility. If any of you doubt my word contact me and we will make arrangements for you to come and see with your own eyes.
I AM FED UP WITH BEING A VICTIM!!!!!
Chris from Fennville

Holland, MI

#26 Jun 16, 2008
BY THE WAY i AM NOT FROM JENISON I LIVE IN FENNVILLE.

Since: Jun 08

Fennville, Mich

#27 Oct 26, 2008
I want to respond to this post. Birds Eye has installed a monitoring well on my property, I am about 2 miles from the business. I am very concerned, I have found out that they have been having monthy meeting on this and that the whole area is contaminated. Please someone post some links on when the meetings are, where they are being held and any class action lawsuits that are being investagated. To this day we still drink, cook and use daily our well water.
Jeta1

Fennville, Mich

#28 Oct 31, 2008
Bump... Any input?

Fennville, Mich

#29 Nov 7, 2008
Ummmm Bump again

Fennville, Mich

#30 Dec 31, 2008
Bump for the third time
Bitely

Taylor, MI

#31 Jan 13, 2009
If anyone paid attention there are a whole lot of wells that are testing bad and citizens that are receiving bottled water from Birds Eye. How many well drillers would you like to hunt down? Get real no one wants to shut down or drive Birds Eye out of town. They just want to live long enough and be healthy enough to work there.
ST Mason wrote:
Cool down, MI AG First. The DEQ is not out to close a business such as this. The DEQ would rather work with the company and get compliance that to shut them down and use state $$ to clean it up. Get real. My guess is the reason the well is showing elevated arsenic and manganese is explained very well in Mr. Watson's post. The well in question was probably not placed deep enough, and the construction was poor.
Farmer 1

Longmont, CO

#32 May 8, 2009
I am sorry for the farmer that may be losing the battle with the DEQ. However, how much is your life or the life of your children, grandchildren, or friends worth. Is it correct that the same place that is offering employment should be excused for it's error. What happened to standing up and taking responsibility for your actions. I am a farmer and no I don't do major organic farming but have not had any issues with DEQ. I take the steps necessary to protect those in my area as well as those to come. Keep things in perspective. Also if your entire crop depends on the preservation of one purchaser than you have possible need of learning to diversify your operation. What if it simply closed it's doors due to downsizing as are so many companies today? It might make sense to have an alternative outlet for your product.
jaf1997

Deerfield, IL

#33 May 9, 2009
Well the Department Of Enviromental Quacks strikes again. I dont trust them. Never have, never will. They speak, envirowackos believe it as absolute truth.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Allegan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Clayton Apr '16 clayton 1
Searching for my sister Karen kaiser Feb '16 Larry Bradford 1
News Mary Whiteford 'honored' by GOP primary win, sa... (Nov '15) Nov '15 ray 1
Dennis Bowman (Brenda Bowman-Wife) (Dec '13) Oct '15 Justice 4 Aundria... 11
News Allegan fire official accused of embezzling fro... (Sep '06) Jul '15 Phil 34
Review: Sweet Temptations (Jun '15) Jun '15 Lalala 1
News 3 Holland teens ordered to pay millions for Sau... (Nov '07) Jun '15 ian 129

Allegan Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Allegan Mortgages