Fall color tours in Michigan: By car,...

Fall color tours in Michigan: By car, bike, foot or golf cart

There are 3 comments on the Flint Township/Swartz Creek Advance story from Oct 4, 2011, titled Fall color tours in Michigan: By car, bike, foot or golf cart. In it, Flint Township/Swartz Creek Advance reports that:

Whether you prefer to travel by car, bicycle, on foot or even by golf cart, there are many ways to enjoy the beautiful fall colors in West Michigan.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Flint Township/Swartz Creek Advance.

jennifer miller

United States

#1 Oct 11, 2011
Well if you want to enjoy the beautiful fall colors here in hopkins dont expect to be able to do it on a golf cart! Thanks to the allegan county sheriffs department and their personal vendetta against our village chief of police! we have many people here in Hopkins that have golf carts and enjoy using them for things such as our community sales day, taking their grand kids for a ride, driving to the park or football game. Our chief of police has been wonderful about helping everyone that wants to use their golf cart on the road, get the proper paperwork, using the guide lines set by the state of michigan for low speed vehicles. but because the county of allegan has a personal vendetta against our police chief they are doing what ever they can to try to over ride him. my personal experience: my parents had their golf cart insured, inspected, registered and was issued a legal license plate by the secretary of state. my mother was driving with my 10 yr old daughter, was pulled over by the county sheriffs department who also had a tribal officer riding with him. with out even asking for her drivers license, told her she was on an illegal golf cart. tried to say she took the plate from a trailer or something (and we all know that trailer plates are printed with the words PERMANENT TRAILER and this plate didn't say that) so that was bogus to start. then the tribal officer proceeded to take out about an 8" knife told my 10yr old daughter to not move went behind her back with the knife and cut the LEGAL plate off of the golf cart the paper work proving the cart was legal was presented to the officers but was ignored. they then gave her 2 tickets at this time totaling $400.00 but not before they had called a third county deputy in for back-up. shortly after the initial top our village chief arrived on the scene asking the county deputies what the problem was, stating he inspected the cart and the proper paper work had been done and the plate was legal. the county deputies told him to step back and stay out of it which he did. but then they told my mother and daughter to get off of the cart to they could take pictures (but didnt find it necessary to ask them to get off the cart when they pulled out the large knife to cut off the plate)even though our county sheriffs dept is complaining of budget cuts and shortage of officers on the road, they some how thought it was justifiable to have 3 deputies in the village of hopkins in 2 separate patrol cars spending well over an hour to pull over a woman and her grand daughter on a GOLF CART! all this because of a personal vendetta against our village chief. several days after this incident my husband was driving in the city of allegan and observed a city worker (reading water meters I believe) preforming his job going house to house on a golf cart? this golf cart was clearly not up to the codes for low speed vehicles for the state of michigan, yet is allowed to be on public roads? i understand that a vehicle used by the city for such things does not have to be plated, but shouldn't it have to be road legal in every other way? so once again allegan county follows only the laws when its convenient for them. so if you were looking forward to taking a relaxing golf cart ride in the village of hopkins, be prepared to get out your check book, because legal or not the county sheriffs department will use you to carry out this personal vendetta they have for our village chief, and they will get away with it and it will cost you $$$. pathetic isn't it that they can get away with something like this. At a village meeting a county commissioner was giving a report on the budget problems within the sheriffs department when told of the poor use of the ones on the road now and was shown the injustice thats being done his 1st comment "must have been a slow day" when no one was amused his word were "i can only hide behind the fact that i am an elected official" WOW! the good ol' boys club! PATHETIC!!!!

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#2 Oct 11, 2011
We love to cruise the backroads of Allegan Co. and bought a home on north of the baseline road and soon found that Allegan Co. was the most corrupt & over oppressive county in the state of Michigan to be caught up in the red tape of life so quickly sold our home and moved back to Van Buren Co. Even though we miss the Allegan woods cruise we steer clear of that County for future refrences ..
SANDY sHORES

United States

#3 Oct 11, 2011
Define street legal I own one Not a golf cart built factory on a GEM car chasis. Full glass windshield with wipers, seat belts, no young children allowed as no accommation for car seats. light on license plate back up lights, turn signals, no conversion into street legal as most insurance cos will not insure. Itis not an add on to your homeowners but carries an insurance card etd like a regular automobile. Drivers license doesn't cut it. HAS SEAT belts, rear view mirrors, 4 wheel disk brakes, mirrors, back up lights, speedometer-I am sure my vehicle would pass in allegan county which is where it is operated. People will buy these conversion kits and really a waste of time and $ as they won't cut the mustard.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Allegan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Clayton Apr '16 clayton 1
Searching for my sister Karen kaiser Feb '16 Larry Bradford 1
News Mary Whiteford 'honored' by GOP primary win, sa... (Nov '15) Nov '15 ray 1
Dennis Bowman (Brenda Bowman-Wife) (Dec '13) Oct '15 Justice 4 Aundria... 11
News Allegan fire official accused of embezzling fro... (Sep '06) Jul '15 Phil 34
Review: Sweet Temptations (Jun '15) Jun '15 Lalala 1
News 3 Holland teens ordered to pay millions for Sau... (Nov '07) Jun '15 ian 129
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Allegan Mortgages