City firefighter fighting to keep sec...

City firefighter fighting to keep second job as state representative

There are 7 comments on the KOB-TV story from Jan 27, 2014, titled City firefighter fighting to keep second job as state representative. In it, KOB-TV reports that:

Tuesday promises to be a big day in court for an Albuquerque firefighter who is also a member of the state legislature.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KOB-TV.

Florence Sena

Santa Fe, NM

#1 Jan 28, 2014
Representative Kane:
You are a wonderful and caring Legislator and your constituents are so proud of you. Keep fighting the fight and we hope to see you back as our Legislator.
George

Albuquerque, NM

#2 Jan 28, 2014
She knew the rules before she ran for office. What makes these people believe that they are special (i.e. politicians, judges, administrators, police, firemen)?
Nope

United States

#3 Jan 28, 2014
George wrote:
She knew the rules before she ran for office. What makes these people believe that they are special (i.e. politicians, judges, administrators, police, firemen)?
what makes you think that we want a legislature that excludes working people?
why

Sterling Heights, MI

#4 Jan 28, 2014
have the rule if it is going to be ignored? but then politicians seldom play by the rules.
coyote

Biloxi, MS

#5 Jan 29, 2014
Say your employee doesn't like wages and working conditions, but can't get the administration or City Council to agree with her. So, she runs for legislature, where she can work behind the scenes to screw the City until it sees things her way. Might that be a reason not to want City employees in the Legislature?
I'm not saying that this one is doing any such thing. I don't know her. But the above is probably why the rule was written.
so instead

Huntsville, AL

#6 Jan 29, 2014
coyote wrote:
Say your employee doesn't like wages and working conditions, but can't get the administration or City Council to agree with her. So, she runs for legislature, where she can work behind the scenes to screw the City until it sees things her way. Might that be a reason not to want City employees in the Legislature?
I'm not saying that this one is doing any such thing. I don't know her. But the above is probably why the rule was written.

you only get people who are well-off, professional politicians, retired or have their own special interest to flog?

Nope - people who are teachers, firefighters, municipal planners, leos, water agency engineers all have deep professional expertise that the legislature could benefit from. Excluding them is plain stupid and product of the anti-worker ideology that disrespects public service at all levels.

“US Navy”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#7 Jan 30, 2014
I've no problem with her serving as a "paid public employee", however as such she should be taking vacation or unpaid leave while attending the session(s) and any mtgs that take place during her normal work hours. I don't buy into the conspiracy angle and seriously doubt she could cause problems from that perspective. This is what citizen legislators is all about.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alister Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Tucumcari toddler dies, mother's boyfriend charged (Sep '08) Mar 26 heartbroken 71
News New Mexico airline service threatened if White ... Mar 18 lambert 1
News New Mexico may ban minors from indoor tanning Mar 17 lambert 3
News Las Vegas Police end use of Tasers (Jul '10) Feb '17 outlander 8
News State senator to file bill requiring presidenti... Feb '17 well 54
False seat belt ticket, and doomed! Feb '17 Granmatrkdriver 1
News Travelers series continues: Magoffin sculpture ... (Jul '09) Dec '16 El Chico 7

Alister Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Alister Mortgages