Prank leads to stroke, charges

Prank leads to stroke, charges

There are 27 comments on the Cookeville Herald story from Mar 22, 2007, titled Prank leads to stroke, charges. In it, Cookeville Herald reports that:

Mary Jo Denton Herald-Citizen Staff ALGOOD -- An Algood woman suffered a stroke after receiving a frightening prank phone call, and two young girls are facing charges in Putnam Juvenile Court, police said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Cookeville Herald.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Sara Calhoun

Westbrook, ME

#1 Mar 25, 2007
Those two thirteen year old idiots who made the call should be tried as adults.

Lock up their a$$es for good - society doesn't need them. Or better yet, euthanize them and give their organs to people who need transplants.
Danny_Newton

Nashville, TN

#2 Mar 26, 2007

I wonder if there was a connection between the victim and the perpetrators. I also wonder if the girls had a record of weird stuff before this.
anonymous

United States

#3 Mar 27, 2007
Sara Calhoun wrote:
Lock up their a$$es for good - society doesn't need them. Or better yet, euthanize them and give their organs to people who need transplants.
That was a brutal comment and I hope God will have mercy on you. Those two children are suffering too. They made a mistake. They are young. They did not intend for this message to harm anyone. They are very remorseful. There is no way,Ms. Sara Calhoun, that you have lived your life without making mistakes or without hurting another person on this Earth. And as a matter of fact, you just did hurt me. One of those girls is my daughter. Do you have children??How would you feel if you read something about your child's organs being donated? We hate that this woman had to go to the hospital. I mean that from the bottom of my heart. But, my daughter NEVER meant to hurt anyone. She thought she was pranking a friend. She is extremely upset and it already suffering. You are a cruel person to say those terrible things because that came from your heart. Your heart is cold.
anonymous

United States

#4 Mar 27, 2007
Danny_Newton wrote:
I wonder if there was a connection between the victim and the perpetrators. I also wonder if the girls had a record of weird stuff before this.
No sir. There is not any connection. They thought they were pranking a friend. They dialed the wrong number. They are good children. They have never been in trouble before in their life. They come from a good home. They are in all kinds of sports and make great grades. They feel very terrible about all this and would give anything to take it back. I promise you that. I pray the woman is okay. I wish this never happened.
TIffany Tennessee

United States

#5 Mar 27, 2007
I personally do not think that it is fair to make comments like that. They are thirteen year old girls! Every kid makes prank phone calls. They were just doing what they are taught in the movies now days. If you do not know the situation there is no reason to post comments like that. It was just rude and uncalled for! They should not be tried as adults. They should be tried by their age. They were making prank phone calls what thirteen year old girls do!
Sara Calhoun wrote:
Gina Tennessee

United States

#6 Mar 27, 2007
Man come on you all. Grow up. We were once teens ourselves. This is just one of those unfortunate events. These two girls are just children. The majority of us adults at one time in our teen years made crank phone calls. Let the first one of you without sin cast the first stone. Sometimes the adults act worse than their children and we wonder what is wrong with our society.
Ashley -Tennessee

United States

#7 Mar 27, 2007
Sara Calhoun wrote:
Tell me something Ms.Sara Calhoun. Do you have children?? If not do you have children you are really close to, that you qualify them as family or a friend? How would you feel if someone wrote something like this about on of your child, family member or friend:
"Those two thirteen year old idiots who made the call should be tried as adults.
Lock up their a$$es for good - society doesn't need them. Or better yet, euthanize them and give their organs to people who need transplants."
To kill them and donate their organs!!! How adult is that?!?! You need to seriously think before you speak!
Every child has made a prank call before in their lives. Every adult has when they were younger! I'm sure you have too!! This is a prank gone bad. They didn't intend on making the lady have a stroke! They were pranking a friend and got the wrong number! These kids have gone through alot!
Tried as an adult..... now does that seam reasonable?? No!! You don't know how these kids feel!! They are teriffied and deeply remorseful!
You are a cruel person.
Ashley -Tennessee

United States

#8 Mar 27, 2007
Tell me something Ms.Sara Calhoun. Do you have children?? If not do you have children you are really close to, that you qualify them as family? How would you feel if someone wrote something like this about on of children, family members or friends??

"Those two thirteen year old idiots who made the call should be tried as adults. Lock up their a$$es for good - society doesn't need them. Or better yet, euthanize them and give their organs to people who need transplants."

To kill them and donate their organs!!! How adult is that?!?! WOW!! Are you honestly that cruel?!?!You need to seriously think before you speak!

Every child has made a prank call before in their lives. Every adult has made one when they were younger! I'm sure you have too!! This is a prank gone bad. They didn't intend on making the lady have a stroke! They were pranking a friend and got the wrong number! These kids have gone through alot! You don't know how these kids feel!! They are teriffied and deeply remorseful!

Tried as an adult..... now does that seam reasonable?? No!! You are either related to this lady or your just a very cruel person! How could you honstley think that is okay? I'm so glad I do not know you.
unknown

United States

#9 Mar 27, 2007
I just think that we are hearing a one sided story here. What does this child have to say about all this? I just do not think that all this happen to the women like she says it does. FRIGHT DOES NOT CAUSE A STROKE!! BLOOD CLOTS CAUSE STROKES! You people taking her side is not fair. These children are being harassed by classmates, people on the street, and people on this board wanting to kill them. I feel like this is enough punishment and the cruel comments about killing someone's young child need to stop.How do you think this child feels reading someone rude ol' bat wants to kill her and donate her organs. I think whoever made those comments does not have children.
Ashley -Tennessee

United States

#10 Mar 27, 2007
Tell me something Ms.Sara Calhoun. Do you have children?? If not do you have children you are really close to, that you qualify them as family? How would you feel if someone wrote something like this about on children family member or friends??

"Those two thirteen year old idiots who made the call should be tried as adults.Lock up their a$$es for good - society doesn't need them. Or better yet, euthanize them and give their organs to people who need transplants."

To kill them and donate their organs!!! How adult is that?!?!You are a cruel person. Very ugly on the inside! You need to seriously think before you speak!

Every child has made a prank call before in their lives. Every adult has made on when they were younger! I'm sure you have too!! This is a prank gone bad. They didn't intend on making the lady have a stroke! They were pranking a friend and got the wrong number! These kids have gone through alot! You don't know how these kids feel!! They are teriffied and deeply remorseful!

Tried as an adult..... now does that seam reasonable?? No!! To say a child should be tried as an adult... WOW! You are either realated to this lady or your just a cruel person! I'm so glad I don't know you.
unknown

United States

#11 Mar 27, 2007
I think that it is not right that you said you think someone's child should be killed. How would you feel if someone said your child deserved to be killed and their organs donated. That is just wrong. You base your opinion on that woman's side of the story, which may not be the truth. I wonder did the woman have previous medical problems? I don't think fright causes strokes. I think that people should no be so harsh on these childrens. My god they have suffered enough. The whole family is suffering still. These poor children were making silly prank calls. They thought they were calling a friend. It is not fair to make these comments to these kids.
Sara Calhoun wrote:
Inia

Shelbyville, TN

#12 Mar 27, 2007
Sara Calhoun wrote:
THIS IS A COMMENT TO SARA CALHOUN OH MY GOSH. HOW ADULT IS THIS? I AM ASSUMING YOU ARE AN ADULT,PEOPLE ARE ENTITLED TO THEIR OPINION,BUT FROM WHAT COUNTRY ARE YOU FROM??? I HONESTLY FEEL TERRIBLE FOR BOTH FAMILIES. I AM SADDEN TO HEAR THAT THIS LADY HAD A STROKE,I AM IN THE MEDICAL FIELD,THIS CHILDS MOTHER IS CORRECT.FRIGHT DOES NOT CAUSE A STROKE.THIS POOR LADY WAS UNDER GREAT STRESS,DUE TO DEATH OF A FAMILY MEMBER,I AM SURE THAT THE CALL DID FRIGHTEN HER,BUT I WOULD FEEL SAFE TO SAY THAT SHE HAS MEDICAL PROBLEMS. AS FOR YOU TO SAY THAT 2 "CHILDREN" SHOULD BE EUTHANIZED,AND THEIR POOR LITTLE ORGANS BEING TAKEN!!! HOW HORRIFIC. WHAT DO ORGANS HAVE TO DO WITH THIS CIRCUMSTANCE ANY WAY? WE SHOULD PRAY FOR BOTH FAMILIES,I DON'T KNOW IF THESE ADULTS WILL EVER SPEAK OR NOT,BUT IT WOULD BE NICE TO HEAR THAT THERE IS STILL FORGIVENESS IN THIS WORLD. I AM SURE THAT THE LADY THAT SUFFERED THE STROKE WOULDN'T EVEN HAVE COLD,BITTER,INHUMANE THOUGHTS THAT YOU ARE HAVING.THIS IS IN FACT A SILLY "CHILD THING" THAT HAS TURNED INTO A TERRIBLE SITUATION. I DON'T KNOW IF EITHER THE STROKE VICTIM OR THE CHILDREN'S PARENTS READ ALL OF THESE COMMENTS,BUT I WISH YOU ALL THE BEST.
Tammy Taylor

Hillsboro, TN

#13 Mar 28, 2007
Sara Calhoun wrote:
Sara Calhoun, I don't know if you have any children but judging by your comments you don't. I can't believe you would even think of wanting a child killed. First of all what these girls did was an accident, they meant to call a friend and dialed the wrong number. Second of all I think calling the news media was a little extreme. How could someone mistake a child's voice from a grownup and why would someone believe something like that in the first place. I feel for that woman but fear can not cause a stroke. Next time you speak you might want to think about it before you open your mouth!!!!
TennGirl

Gainesboro, TN

#14 Apr 10, 2007
You should all go and read the article about this.....I'll paste some of it here:

That information led him to the suspects, the two 13-year-old girls, and Detective Harris traveled to Winchester and talked to the girls and their parents.

Allegedly, they confessed to making prank calls to numbers they chose at random.

Now, if they were trying to call a friend would they have told the police that they were "making prank calls to numbers they chose at random"?
The worse part is what they said:
"I want to play a game. You need to decide if life is worth living for. We have one of your friends hidden in your house. You must find them within ten minutes and get the key out of their heart. They are numbed but it will wear off soon. They need to get the key out of their heart and get out of your house because there are vents and there is toxic gas that will be fogged out in ten minutes. It will kill you in half a minute, so you decide, it's your game. Do you want to live or die?"

Maybe the parents should be a little more judgemental about what they let the kids watch. This sounds too much like the movie Saw. I understand a mother's need to protect her child but the way I read this in the paper sounds like they weren't trying to call a friend but just being teenagers. I know first hand what mischief a teenager can get into as I have a 14 year old son. I feel for both parties in this. The little girls and also the lady, her name is Beverly Dickson. Everyone has gotten into some type of mischief in one way or another but I don't agree with SARA CALHOUN on any of her statements. They should be delt with and shown right from wrong. They know they were wrong by doing this and I think they learned a very valuable lesson. They probably will never make a prank call again. So SARA CALHOUN you need to appologise to this little girls mother because i'm sure you wouldn't want your little girls heart cut out and given away for something as petty as this.
unknown

United States

#15 Apr 16, 2007
The girls are being punished. Do you think they go unpunished?!!??!?!!? That's crazy. It was a prank call not a shooting
anonymous

Smyrna, TN

#16 Apr 17, 2007
I personally know Beverly Dickson and she has suffered a great deal. I don't agree with Sara Calhoun, but I do think they casued Ms. Dickson great trauma. I think the kids should be punished for what they have done, but I don't think they should be killed or anything like that. I agree that these kids have been watching to much tv. I hope that more teens can learn from these two girls mistakes and not do things like that becuase they can cause great damage.
unknown

United States

#17 Apr 19, 2007
well if you personally know this woman than you can tell her this has went way to far..going on cnn and dateline tv that is crazy. she is makeing the whole ordeal worse and is just doing this for the money. Hate to tell you hunny fright does not cause a stroke
Crazy Beverly

United States

#18 May 6, 2008
These are 2 GOOD kids from very well mannered families. This call was meant for a friend and the phone was dialed incorrectly. The amount of the lawsuit PROVES GREED! She was already under stress and by the look of her pic on channel 5 at 52 years old this woman looks old for her age. She was already OBVIOUSLY in horrible health. Is she going to SUE this site since people are saying mean things about her now?
unknown wrote:
well if you personally know this woman than you can tell her this has went way to far..going on cnn and dateline tv that is crazy. she is makeing the whole ordeal worse and is just doing this for the money. Hate to tell you hunny fright does not cause a stroke
Roast Beef

Monetta, SC

#19 Dec 5, 2008
Sara Calhoun wrote:
pray for them
abcd1234lll

Trenton, SC

#20 Dec 27, 2008
that is sad, sun is out,

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Algood Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NEVER FORGET: NFL players sat down during the ... 37 min goosefactory 11
COOKEVILLE's getting to where it has a lot of S... 49 min true 22
Are there any fast food workers in this town wh... 50 min true 14
Jeff Young caves to Lowery 1 hr TTH 2
Are yoiu really ready 1 hr TTH 6
Kayla Faye randolph 1 hr Brandie 4
Trump has done 'more to disrespect our country'... 2 hr Liberal Democrat 5

Algood Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance