Suburban Residents Report Coyote Sightings

Some people are on edge in the Western Suburbs after sightings of a coyote on the loose. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Dombrowski

United States

#1 Feb 21, 2006
Our house backs to Forest Preserve, as well as, the freight tracks. We saw a coyote walking along the tracks just the other day. We are seeing more and more of them.
Wesley

Calumet City, IL

#2 Feb 22, 2006
There have always been coyotes around. I used to see as well as hear them in my neighborhood for the past 5 years. I live in Algonquin. One walked right behind my house a few years back. Just keep an eye on your small pets as they play in the backyard. Coyotes can jump fences pretty easily.
Jack

Maple Heights, OH

#3 Jan 20, 2007
I hear the coyotes around 10pm, a couple nights a week. I haven't seen them though. I live in Carpentersville and our back yard backs up to Algonquin. There is a large nature area behind us.
flyby

Addison, IL

#4 Jan 26, 2007
I also live in algonquin, and have seen 2 coyotes in the last 3 months. I live across from the wetlands and hear them howling and yipping almost weekly. They ad a ceritan mystique to the evening.
Valerie and Layla

Chicago, IL

#5 May 14, 2008
We live on the EastSide of Chicago right on the border of Indiana-And we seen a Coyote not once but twice. They have extra long torsos. They are dangerous and if you see them call animal control.
gsdmix

Roselle, IL

#6 May 14, 2008
Why is this in the news? Coyotes in the w. suburbs, so are deer and fox it has always been their home! One of the wonderful reasons I moved to Dupage county...Nature! Seeing a coyote in my neighborhood is normal siting. Respect them and they'll respect you, oh and maybe keep the pocket pets close to you side!
Vaid

Elgin, IL

#7 Nov 17, 2009
We live in Elgin in Providence subdivision. We have been worn to walk in dark due to coyotes in the area. We hear coyotes everyother nights. They are so many out hungry looking for food, careful people who have pets.
vanessa

Huntley, IL

#8 Nov 17, 2009
I was at Marshalls about two weeks ago. As I was driving out of the parking lot I noticed a coyote running across the lot. It was shocking, and I was worried because people are out walking around it was terrifying to know those animals are roaming so freely.
Nataliah

Elgin, IL

#9 Feb 19, 2010
I live in Elgin and decided to go to a shopping center in Algonquin I took Randall rd. Unfortunately there was an accident at Randall and Huntley rd so I was forced to cut down a side street as I was driving I had to slam on breaks as a coyote ran in front of my car at first I thought it was a very large fox of some sort but as he ran across to the other side of the street and I got a good look at him I was shocked!! They are everywhere! Just like the the economy is so jacked up and money is scarce food is too for them so they are forced to travel.
Bartlett resident

Aurora, IL

#10 Feb 20, 2010
I live by the forest preserve, I see or hear them almost daily, when they notice a human looking or coming near them, the scoot.

I don't think they will bother us, but keep a good eye on your pets.
come on people

Van Nuys, CA

#11 Feb 21, 2010
a coyote won't attack a person! to the person who said they saw one in the mall parking lot... the only thing id be worried about is the coyote getting hit by a car! not running up to a group of random people and attacking. if you dont know much about what you're saying...think. coyotes are beautiful and harmless unless you walk with ground chuck in your socks or your chihuahua sleeps out back.
Ed Teune

Itasca, IL

#12 Feb 23, 2010
I see and hear coyotes all the time. I live in Naperville, and recently I even saw a pair hunting voles (like fat field mice) in an open field on the way to work. Don't be shocked or surprised people, it's normal and not dangerous unless you leave your small pet tied up outside at night with lots of food around or something silly like that. But even then, the chances are very small they will even attack your pet. They are looking for the easiest food and are frightened of people.
Coyotes don't attack people. To be honest, I am shocked that so many people are shocked by the presence of coyotes! heck, they are even in the city of Chicago, like right downtown.
KAT

Glendale Heights, IL

#13 Feb 25, 2010
gsdmix wrote:
Why is this in the news? Coyotes in the w. suburbs, so are deer and fox it has always been their home! One of the wonderful reasons I moved to Dupage county...Nature! Seeing a coyote in my neighborhood is normal siting. Respect them and they'll respect you, oh and maybe keep the pocket pets close to you side!
Anen to that!
Respect them & they will respect you.
Use some common sense people! Watch your pets just like you would watch your children against a human predator.
annoyed

United States

#14 Feb 25, 2010
dont cross the street you can get hit.people who worry about coyotes are worrywarts.
proof

Cary, IL

#15 Mar 11, 2010
It's not just at nighttime. Coyotes will come into your yard and eat your pet. They chase them and bite them on the back of the legs to cripple them and then go for the kill. 2 dogs in my neighborhood were in their yards and they were attacked by coyotes. One was a smaller dog and the other was a large dog. I saw their bite marks! Both dogs had to have surgery. don't tell me they just come after small pets. Both times were during the middle of the day. coyotes will also lure your pet into a wooded area and share your pet as food with other coyotes.
Eric plasma center

Chicago, IL

#16 Nov 9, 2010
I just saw 2 about 20 minutes ago at the plasma center I work at. In fact my american bulldog chased 1 of them until it got away.(All on the security footage) I lile that people let a predator live in the towns. They were here 1st. N u should b watching young children n small pets anyway. I mean come on a hawk can eat a cat or yorkie!
Rex Euchre

United States

#17 Nov 10, 2010
OMG. A coyote in the 'burbs! BFD people.
yikes

United States

#18 Nov 10, 2010
i saw a couple of coyote's in carol stream area near gary ave and elk trail road.
common sense

Glen Ellyn, IL

#19 Nov 10, 2010
use common sense with pets. You never hear about outdoor cats and small dogs getting killed by raccoons but it does happen. No pet should be left unsupervised for long periods in a backyard. Coyotes are oppertunists, they live all over and just because you havent seen one doesnt mean they arent around. This is all part of people moving into their homes. They spook easy around people but if you leave a delicious four legged morsel unattanded in the back yard they will find a way to get it. i.e your cat, dog, rabbits. its the food chain.
randy moss

Glendale Heights, IL

#20 Nov 11, 2010
Just saw one running on the sidewalk that runs along Army Trail in Glendale Heights

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Algonquin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
dominating woman 7 hr davieeee 1
Do You Know Stephanie Craig? 11 hr scottishlad67 2
Scabies... Oct 19 Anonymous 1
Attorney: Ari Squire's Wife Not Involved In Twi... (Mar '08) Oct 16 joe 59
Elgin Community College Prof. Charged With Assault (Jan '10) Oct 14 met 11
Cinema 12, Rotary Club present free "Scooby-Doo... Oct 11 Alex Valdez 1
Palatine Man Sentenced for Confiscating, Sellin... (Mar '14) Oct 7 resident volunteer 2
Algonquin Dating
Find my Match

Algonquin Jobs

Algonquin People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Algonquin News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Algonquin

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]