Zebra mussels found on lake in Alexan...

Zebra mussels found on lake in Alexandria

There are 12 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Jun 27, 2009, titled Zebra mussels found on lake in Alexandria. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

State officials are investigating the discovery of a zebra mussel in Lake Le Homme Dieu in Alexandria.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

DD Austin

United States

#1 Jun 27, 2009
If the boaters and fishermen in Minnesota and the surrounding states would carefully examine their boats after taking them fro the lakes they come out of
to see if any might be hanging on to their boat or trailers it would help to make sure their is less chance they might hitch a free ride from one lake to the next.
Meanwhile the scientists are going to have to work diligently on ways they can eradicate these pests from oour lakes and waterways without hurting the native species and habitat.

Plymouth, MN

#2 Jul 2, 2009

The following WEB site explains the FIRST method of movement of the Zebra Mussel is "WATERFOWL"..

Boats etc can be cleaned until the paint is worn off and the birds flying overhead will be transporting the Zebra to the next lake.

Copy and paste the following to the WEB address area in your browser and go to it to read the details.

Prior Lake, MN

#3 Jul 10, 2009
It's the birds!

Minneapolis, MN

#4 Jul 11, 2009
Why are boats being blamed for transmission of Zebras?
change sucks

United States

#5 Jul 11, 2009
Sam wrote:
Why are boats being blamed for transmission of Zebras?
enviornmentalist have a tendency to blame man all the time and never nature itself. i guess the birds aint paying your damn fine.

Plymouth, MN

#6 Jul 13, 2009
It's the birds!!

Prior Lake, MN

#7 Jul 14, 2009
Even GL Joe doesn't know the waterfowl are moving the Zebra from lake to lake.

And Zebras were brought to the USA after fresh water ballast was carried in freighters following regulation changes preventing salt water from being discharged into the Great Lakes hence fresh water from Europe with all the invasive spieces direct from Europe.

Once again Government regulations create problems.

Plymouth, MN

#8 Jul 15, 2009
I also heard GL Joe discussing a quarentine of lakes now infested with the Zebra, I'd like to see that rack!

Anyway of ducks transport Zebras a human quarentine won't do a thing!
Mr Zebra

Prior Lake, MN

#10 Jul 16, 2009
Funny how confused the MN DNR is blaming it on the boats.

Wonder what their agenda is?

Maple Plain, MN

#11 Jul 26, 2009
Birds spread Zebras..

Good luck at containing!

Prior Lake, MN

#12 Jul 30, 2009
Zebras Fly

Plymouth, MN

#13 Aug 18, 2010
The Zebra is spread by waterfowl as stated in the following report:

Take a read, the primary means of the spread of Zebras is attachment to waterfowl. The boat accesses could be closed and the Zebra would continue to spread, thanks to ducks, geese, loons, herrons, gulls, any and all waterfowl.

Interesting if you view the sperad of Zebra map the manifestations follow the Mississippi flyway.

http://www.mass.gov/dcr/watersupply/lakepond/ ...

P.S. I don't understand WHY the DNR isn't educating Minnesota residents that Waterfowl spread the Zebra, political reasons???

Maybe the DNR is controlled by the rich and would love to eliminate the movement of the public to different lakes via public access.

The rich property owners would love to see public accesses closed. You know the lakes are theirs..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alexandria Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The sign man Aug '15 Montigramma 1
News Jennings bank troubles started with expansion (Oct '09) Jul '15 Court romance 5
News Monticello Man Arrested For Domestic Assault by... (Dec '12) Jul '15 Tellitlikeitis 9
Debate: Immigrants & K-12 - Monticello, MN (Dec '14) May '15 wenischshelly 4
americans better wake up...la. gov. bobby jinda... (Jan '15) Jan '15 MWard 1
Review: Double M Sales Inc (Nov '14) Nov '14 Clyde 1
News Nonprofit's board failed the taxpayers (Sep '14) Sep '14 Its OK to be Normal 6
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Alexandria Mortgages