In Maplewood, a wee foreign exchange ...

In Maplewood, a wee foreign exchange student

There are 11 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Jan 12, 2011, titled In Maplewood, a wee foreign exchange student. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

As it turns out, retired Maj. Gen. Larry Shellito wasn't finished with public service.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

liberally challenged

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#1 Jan 13, 2011
I have had the distinct pleasure of working with MG Shellito (Ret). He is a fine leader, and genuinely cares about Soldiers and veterans. I could not think of a better choice to head the MN Department of Veterans Affairs.

Since: Apr 08

Twin Cities

#2 Jan 13, 2011
No offense to Mr. Shellito and I wish him well, but I was looking forward to reading about the young foreign exchange student. Another headline mix-up, I guess.

Oh, well, to the young student I wish an exciting and wondrous time in the U.S. I hope you make many lifelong friends and bring back stories with happy endings to your family. May your journey back home return you a richer person in spirit and in heart for your experiences. May all God's blessings be yours, little man.

Zen
channel 5 guy

Kansas City, MO

#3 Jan 13, 2011
Please quit calling it "public service". It's the same few feeding off the government for years and years, mostof which couldn't keep a job in the private sector for two days........ this is CHANGE?????????
retired mom

Rochester, MN

#4 Jan 13, 2011
Maybe a change will give veterans a chance of getting the benefits and rights which they have coming to them. It has gotten to the point where they have to fight for everything they have a right to.
Bob

Minneapolis, MN

#5 Jan 13, 2011
retired mom wrote:
Maybe a change will give veterans a chance of getting the benefits and rights which they have coming to them. It has gotten to the point where they have to fight for everything they have a right to.
Being a VieNam ERA vet I was set back when my Senator Wiger of North Saint Paul publicized the change in public preferential hiring. As of last year there is NO Veterans preference for in public employment unless you were in the military from 2001 forward.

This action made me sick because a Viet Nam combat vet now has NO more chance of getting a government job than a draft dodger from the 'Nam era. Many of those draft dodgers had the advantage of going to college while the vets were being killed in 'Nam. The dodgers were the sons of the rich avoiding the draft.

Absolutly REDICULAS!!!!!!!
joe

Minneapolis, MN

#6 Jan 13, 2011
hope he actually does somtehing, not like golfing- meetings and coffee then lunch and go home..the well recommended ppl in the past didnt do much to help our vets at all.. will wait to see..
Another

Hopkins, MN

#8 Jan 13, 2011
Another beaurocrat tp play shellito games (it's Italian) with the public. Get some private sector people to fix this?
stephen

Clearlake, CA

#9 Jan 13, 2011
he is not the right person a vet
Thomas

Saint Paul, MN

#10 Jan 13, 2011
Oh good, now Larry can screw those of us who are no longer in. I thought I dodged that bullet when he retired. Thanks, Governor.
Retired Miliitary

Saint Paul, MN

#11 Jan 13, 2011
Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Being a VieNam ERA vet I was set back when my Senator Wiger of North Saint Paul publicized the change in public preferential hiring. As of last year there is NO Veterans preference for in public employment unless you were in the military from 2001 forward.
This action made me sick because a Viet Nam combat vet now has NO more chance of getting a government job than a draft dodger from the 'Nam era. Many of those draft dodgers had the advantage of going to college while the vets were being killed in 'Nam. The dodgers were the sons of the rich avoiding the draft.
Absolutly REDICULAS!!!!!!!
This is wrong. Veterans preference is available for all qualified veterans in state employment at city, county and state level. It has been available for veterans since 1976 but only at the state level for the last two years.

The writer my be referring to veterans preference in state government contracts, which are only available for post-9/11 veterans.

As far as Shellito - the Governor got the worng man. There were far more qualified veterans who threw their hat into the ring. And Dayton is saying one thing and doing another - i.e. saying he he hiring younger, progressive and innovative people to run his agencies. Most everyone he has selected is over 50. I am disappointed. I do, however, honor General Shellito's long and faithful service.
Ann

Saint Paul, MN

#12 Jan 13, 2011
This makes me so happy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alexandria Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The sign man (Aug '15) Aug '15 Montigramma 1
News Jennings bank troubles started with expansion (Oct '09) Jul '15 Court romance 5
News Monticello Man Arrested For Domestic Assault by... (Dec '12) Jul '15 Tellitlikeitis 9
Debate: Immigrants & K-12 - Monticello, MN (Dec '14) May '15 wenischshelly 4
americans better wake up...la. gov. bobby jinda... (Jan '15) Jan '15 MWard 1
Review: Double M Sales Inc (Nov '14) Nov '14 Clyde 1
News Nonprofit's board failed the taxpayers (Sep '14) Sep '14 Its OK to be Normal 6
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Alexandria Mortgages