Nodameen

Shreveport, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

First, let me say I have the utmost respect for police and firemen.....when they're doing their jobs.
On Saturday I was in a funeral procession on Macarthur Drive when a code 3 fire truck broke through to go to a wreck on Macarthur Dr where there were numerous police cars, an ambulance, another fire truck and a wrecker already there. The resulting traffic jam was ridiculous. An ambulance attendant was directing northbound traffic while the firemen stood there with their hands in their pockets.
The presence of two fire trucks when there is no fire or chemical spill is not only wasted time but a safety hazard by their mere presence.
These traffic jams have become a regular sight in and around Alexandria.
It's bad enough that the police ignore traffic jams at these scenes without fire trucks adding to the problem.
Dustin

Alexandria, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2013

These were probably firefighters for the city. And just like anyone else who works for the city of Alexandria... they only function on Friday when it's payday. If you got paid on Friday and it was Saturday why put in the extra effort when you already got paid?
Guess who

Shreveport, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Quote: "These were probably firefighters for the city."

Nope. When the accident is on Macarthur Dr. or 28 west, both the parish and city firemen race to see who gets there first. Then they stand around blocking traffic while they talk about ball games or whatever.
As I've said, I can understand when there's a fuel spill or smoking engine. But if neither is the case....get yerself out of traffic and back to the firehouse.(before you miss something on TV)
While I'm at it....why do firemen drive a $200,000 firetruck to Popeyes and MacDonalds for lunch? Why not send a rookie in the pick-up truck to get the food?
Dustin

Alexandria, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2013

Quote: "why do firemen drive a $200,000 firetruck to Popeyes and MacDonalds for lunch? Why not send a rookie in the pick-up truck to get the food?"

Good point. That fire station on Texas avenue has a F150 utility truck that they never use. It could even be used for medical calls to save gas instead of driving the engines. District 2 has some utility trucks that they use for medical calls and they get where they need to go much faster than the engines or ambulance.
Im serious

Glenmora, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2013

Dustin wrote:
Quote: "why do firemen drive a $200,000 firetruck to Popeyes and MacDonalds for lunch? Why not send a rookie in the pick-up truck to get the food?"
Good point. That fire station on Texas avenue has a F150 utility truck that they never use. It could even be used for medical calls to save gas instead of driving the engines. District 2 has some utility trucks that they use for medical calls and they get where they need to go much faster than the engines or ambulance.
Listen up dummy. A $200,00 fire truck needs to be run ever so often to keep it in shape so it will be ready when they need it. Other wise it would sit there and the batteries would run down. and lights malfunction. They use the truck for food runs to keep it in shape and to spot any trouble the truck may have.If they use another smaller truck then they have to duplicate all the medical equip for two trucks.
Shrevereporter

Shreveport, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2013

Im serious wrote:
<quoted text>Listen up dummy. A $200,00 fire truck needs to be run ever so often to keep it in shape so it will be ready when they need it. Other wise it would sit there and the batteries would run down. and lights malfunction. They use the truck for food runs to keep it in shape and to spot any trouble the truck may have.If they use another smaller truck then they have to duplicate all the medical equip for two trucks.
Plus it just looks so damn cool!
Conan

Pineville, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2013

These guys are fire crews. Key word being 'crew'. They can't 'send the rookie for lunch' and still be a crew. The rookie IS part of the crew. They stay together for the ENTIRE 24 hr shift. They can't tell a 911 call to hold on for a few minutes while the rookie comes back with lunch.
crying time again

Alexandria, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2013

Sometime people like to gripe and complain about everything under the sun. This topic is a prime example.
Guess who

Shreveport, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2013

. They use the truck for food runs to keep it in shape and to spot any trouble the truck may have.

Is that why they take it shopping in WalMart and Academy?
Guess who

Shreveport, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2013

Quote: "Sometime people like to gripe and complain about everything under the sun. This topic is a prime example.

I started this thread and I'll continue it until someone explains why city and parish fire trucks race to an accident scene where they're neither needed nor requested....then stand around blocking traffic.
Conan

Pineville, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2013

Guess who wrote:
Quote: "Sometime people like to gripe and complain about everything under the sun. This topic is a prime example.
I started this thread and I'll continue it until someone explains why city and parish fire trucks race to an accident scene where they're neither needed nor requested....then stand around blocking traffic.
Alexandria and the Parish Fire Dept., both have trained EMT's and Paramedics. They respond and assist the patient/victim until the arrival of EMS. As far as automobile accidents, the fire departments are dispatched because the 911 center doesn't wait UNTIL the vehicle catches fire BEFORE dispatching the fire department. Fire responds to ALL wrecks to provide fire suppression and extrication (JAWS of LIFE), because here, EMS does not do that. Another thing you don't see is that after the wreck is cleared, the fire department is the one that spreads out absorption materials on oils and antifreeze then sweeps it up for disposal. That keeps YOU from hitting an oil slick after the road is opened back up.

Any further questions?
Observant

Alexandria, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2013

Conan,

Thanks for the your posting!
I think Nodameen/Guess Who must lead a miserable life. He/she must spend their day looking for something to complain about.
Hopefully your answer will remove the bee from their bonnet.
Do your job

Pineville, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2013

Someone needs to tell the po-po at the scene that it is the towing company's responsibility to clean up the scene of glass, fenders, plastic parts, etc. I have seen a front end bumper cap , headlamp assemblies, etc. Fluids are washed down or sanded. But solid part need to be removed at the time of tow. Tow drivers are not doing their job and the police aren't doing their job if they don't make the tow drivers responsible. No one wants to run over the debris and get a flat or worse.
Nodameen

Shreveport, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 23, 2013

That keeps YOU from hitting an oil slick after the road is opened back up.

Any further questions?

Yes, quit patting yourself on the back. You missed my point completely. The scenes I speak of are the ones where multiple fire trucks block the highway while the wrecked vehicles are on the shoulder and there are no injuries or spills. The firemen stand around in clusters talking about the weather while traffic backs up to the horizon. Spare me the comments about firemen being EMTs and paramedics. I've watched injured folk lay on the hot pavement awaiting an ambulance while your so-called paramedics stand their with back packs full of unused equipment. At a motorcycle wreck near Elliott & southbound Macarthur 6 weeks or so ago. Fire trucks had both southbound Macarthur lanes blocke with their trucks in addition to another one on the service road. Nobody, I repeat nobody offered medical assistance while the injured kid baked on the hot pavement for 25 minutes until Acadian arrived. Matter of fact the only shade the kid had was the firemen standing around talking about how hot it was.
Y'all do great at fires but some serious training needs to implemented regarding resoponsibilities at wrecks. Without fire....y'all seem lost.
I've walked the walk....I can talk the talk.
Conan

Pineville, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 25, 2013

Nodameen wrote:
That keeps YOU from hitting an oil slick after the road is opened back up.
Any further questions?
Yes, quit patting yourself on the back. You missed my point completely. The scenes I speak of are the ones where multiple fire trucks block the highway while the wrecked vehicles are on the shoulder and there are no injuries or spills. The firemen stand around in clusters talking about the weather while traffic backs up to the horizon. Spare me the comments about firemen being EMTs and paramedics. I've watched injured folk lay on the hot pavement awaiting an ambulance while your so-called paramedics stand their with back packs full of unused equipment. At a motorcycle wreck near Elliott & southbound Macarthur 6 weeks or so ago. Fire trucks had both southbound Macarthur lanes blocke with their trucks in addition to another one on the service road. Nobody, I repeat nobody offered medical assistance while the injured kid baked on the hot pavement for 25 minutes until Acadian arrived. Matter of fact the only shade the kid had was the firemen standing around talking about how hot it was.
Y'all do great at fires but some serious training needs to implemented regarding resoponsibilities at wrecks. Without fire....y'all seem lost.
I've walked the walk....I can talk the talk.
First, I'm not a fireman. One doesn't have to be fireman to have common sense. Obviously you have your panties in a bunch, did you get dismissed from a fire department? You sound butt-hurt.

The trucks are usually positioned to keep the rubber-necking retards that at bitching about traffic flow from running over medical responders and LEO's. Hit a police motorcycle, police car, or ambulance, and you could knock that vehicle into a person. Hit the fire truck and the ambulance personnel picks you up.
OH MY

Alexandria, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 25, 2013

"Can't we all just get along!"
Nodameen

Shreveport, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 25, 2013

"The trucks are usually positioned to keep the rubber-necking retards that at bitching about traffic flow from running over medical responders and LEO's."

Once again, you miss the point completely. As I've said several times, the issue I have is with the fire trucks blocking all traffic even though the injured and damaged vehicles are off the roadway.
You speak volumes on manners when you refer to the driving public as "retards". It's another glaring example of firefighters' disregard for the general public. Actually, by standing around and watching, it's the firemen who are the gawkers.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Alexandria Discussions

Search the Alexandria Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
LA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Louisiana... (Oct '10) 24 min Not Landrieu 2,696
Fants Seafood Restaurant Thu Pulla Ur Legg 6
Baton Rouge woman arrested after reckless drivi... Jul 30 Pulla Ur Legg 3
Alexandria sting results in 17 arrests on solic... Jul 28 Know You Wrong 17
Who do you want to be the next District Attorne... Jul 26 Voter all the way 61
Pineville City Court Marshal Jul 25 Anonymous 1
who do you want to be the next rapides parish s... (Mar '11) Jul 24 Theword 19,870
•••
•••
•••
Alexandria Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Alexandria Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••