Alexandria officials eye downtown sit...

Alexandria officials eye downtown sites for Central La. Technical Community College

There are 9 comments on the The Town Talk story from Oct 3, 2013, titled Alexandria officials eye downtown sites for Central La. Technical Community College. In it, The Town Talk reports that:

Three downtown sites are listed by the city of Alexandria in an exploratory document as potential homes for Central Louisiana Technical Community College's new main campus.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Town Talk.

Say What

Alexandria, LA

#1 Oct 3, 2013
Well, I wonder which well connected individuals/families own these properties?
It will prove most interesting to see who gets what out of this deal!
Nodameen

Shreveport, LA

#2 Oct 6, 2013
The announcement that downtown may be the site for the school is what they call "testing the waters" to get a public response.
When one considers the tens of millions of dollars spent and endless promises made regarding the downtown revitalization, they get an idea of good money thrown after bad.
If the Town Talk wasn't located there.....nothing else would be. It would have been leveled decades ago and turned into a park.
Maybe they'll build it in the middle of Main or Third St., just like Rapides General hospital did.
Let's see who's gonna ask about where all the students would park.
Sooner or later some politician is gonna choke on the words "It'll revitalize downtown".
Deja vu

Shreveport, LA

#3 Oct 6, 2013
I wonder if Barron-Heinberg & Brocato will be the designer of the new technical college.
They made a fortune on blueprinting the Coliseum remodel only to later announce their design was way over budget.
By the way....did BHB ever return any of the money they were paid for their multi-million dollar mistake?
question

Alexandria, LA

#4 Oct 6, 2013
I must ask. What is wrong with the school that is already on MacArthur drive?
skilled labor

Pineville, LA

#5 Oct 6, 2013
question wrote:
I must ask. What is wrong with the school that is already on MacArthur drive?
For one thing, it has limited square footage and the property is not very large. Another thing is the existing building probably needs a lot of updating.
Downtown, really? Unless they offer a good bit of parking, that idea is bad. I too am wondering who will profit from a downtown property sale. Probably some Alexandria old money family or well connected lawyer.
Tiredofbeingtaxe d

United States

#6 Oct 6, 2013
Down town is DEAD!!! The only thing that would ever remotely help down town would be a gambling boat!!!! Down town had NOTHING to offer anyone!!!!!!!! The only winner in this deal will be the property owner!!!!!
question

Alexandria, LA

#7 Oct 6, 2013
skilled labor wrote:
<quoted text>For one thing, it has limited square footage and the property is not very large. Another thing is the existing building probably needs a lot of updating.
Downtown, really? Unless they offer a good bit of parking, that idea is bad. I too am wondering who will profit from a downtown property sale. Probably some Alexandria old money family or well connected lawyer.
If that would be the justification. Or how they would spin their justifications. 1.Now days,nothing is ever good enough. One of my kids went there recently. And it is sufficient. 2.Updating-now days meaning just to make it prettier & fancier for the appeassment of the upper crust of Alex. This smells of "making the rich richer" And they can have fun spending taxpayer money. None of this will making anyone better educated or better trained.
Just a peon

Shreveport, LA

#8 Oct 7, 2013
".Updating-now days meaning just to make it prettier & fancier for the appeassment of the upper crust of Alex."

It worked before. The voters fell for the $23,000,000 lipstick on a pig project at the coliseum.
When (if ever)finished, the coliseum arena will be the same size with more seats and less parking. When asked how monster trucks will play in the same arena....one police juror commented "We'll have them drive smaller trucks".
Stupidity can be frightening.
question

Alexandria, LA

#9 Oct 7, 2013
Just a peon wrote:
".Updating-now days meaning just to make it prettier & fancier for the appeassment of the upper crust of Alex."
It worked before. The voters fell for the $23,000,000 lipstick on a pig project at the coliseum.
When (if ever)finished, the coliseum arena will be the same size with more seats and less parking. When asked how monster trucks will play in the same arena....one police juror commented "We'll have them drive smaller trucks".
Stupidity can be frightening.
So, you see where they are going with this. Apparently you smell,what I smell as well.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alexandria Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Chris Tyler Announces for Dist. #27 State Rep. 36 min Inside scoop 9
Debate: Gay Marriage - Alexandria, LA (Aug '11) 17 hr All is lost 15
who do you want to be the next rapides parish s... (Mar '11) 23 hr Alexuser 19,924
John Simoneaux Jun 26 TigerFan27 2
Downtown insanity Jun 24 I Must be Stoopid 3
Roy "Bubba" James candidate for Sheriff of Rapi... Jun 23 Pa Bell 9
Who do you want to be the next District Attorne... (Apr '14) Jun 23 redriverworker 127
More from around the web

Alexandria People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Alexandria Mortgages