Jury awards nearly $3 million in 2008 deaths of pedestrians in Alexandria

Feb 11, 2012 Full story: Alexandria Daily Town Talk

A Rapides Parish jury Friday awarded more than $2.8 million in compensatory damages to the 13-year-old son of a woman who was killed along with her two daughters in 2008 when a drug-addled man mowed them over on Bolton Avenue in what police described as a horrific scene. The civil jury also determined that Justin Paul Brouillette of Lafayette owed Nicholas Isaac $100,000 in punitive damages. Brouillette killed Alexandria residents Joan Isaac, 31, and her daughters Brittany Isaac, 15, and Nyeshia Dumars, 13, on Oct. 24, 2008. An investigation showed Brouillette was driving 91 mph on the shoulder of Bolton Avenue, where he struck the trio and killed them instantly. Tests showed that Brouillette was on Hydrocodone and marijuana. Brouillette now is serving a jail term after pleading guilty in 2010 to three counts of vehicular homicide. Victor Rachal filed a lawsuit in December 2008 against Brouillette and State Farm, which insured Brouillette. Rachal sued on behalf of his and Joan Isaac's son, Nicholas Isaac, who was 10 when his mother was killed. The two-man, 10-woman jury announced the verdict Friday in 9th District Judge Harry Randow's courtroom. The jury awarded compensatory damages of $2,818,817 and punitive damages of $100,000. Nine of the 12 jurors were required to agree on the damages. A jury poll showed all 12 agreed. 'It's a just compensatory damage award,' said Wilbert Saucier, who with his daughter, Lauren Saucier, sued Brouillette and State Farm for Nicholas Isaac and his father. 'The punitive damages award sends a message to anyone who thinks he can drive intoxicated. The civil system will not condone that.' The trial featured three days of testimony, and the jury deliberated less than 80 minutes before arriving at a verdict. Witnesses included Alexandria Police officers, who testified that the scene where the Isaac and her daughters were killed was the worst they'd ever seen, Saucier said. In May 2010, Brouillette was sentenced to 15 years in prison after he pleaded guilty. Judge Thomas Yeager, who was subpoenaed to testify at the civil trial but was not called, knocked off five years and gave Brouillette credit for time already served. Brouillette is scheduled for release from jail on Sept. 11, 2013, Lauren Saucier said.

Full Story
carla davis

Natchitoches, LA

#1 Feb 11, 2012
i would like to read some of the comments that others had to say about this. it is very touchin.
Say What

AOL

#2 Feb 11, 2012
Fair justice for this little boy. But the money will not return his mother or siblings to his life.

I would have liked to have seen the driver sentenced to a lot longer time in prison.
Friend

Alexandria, LA

#3 Dec 12, 2012
Too bad the family will never see the money. I know the guy and when he gets out he will just get a cash job and his family is decently wealthy so he will be fine. The family will never get more than a few dollars here or there
Curious

Pineville, LA

#4 Dec 13, 2013
So is he out now? Thanks "judge" Yeager
Conan

Woodworth, LA

#5 Dec 14, 2013
Friend wrote:
Too bad the family will never see the money. I know the guy and when he gets out he will just get a cash job and his family is decently wealthy so he will be fine. The family will never get more than a few dollars here or there
You are 100% correct. Justin should be serving at LEAST a 40-50 year sentence.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alexandria Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New classified ad site 7 hr New site 1
Magnolia Funeral Home (Nov '13) 9 hr Kasket Kit 11
Nicholas Wright: 'I believe I'm the real deal' 9 hr wnicholas70 7
Joey Bishop,RPPJ to Sue COA over Coliseum Thu Fonzie 4
why is sheriff hilton gay Thu granpa 4
Probate / Estate attorney (Apr '13) Thu Been there done that 6
Turn Lane on Jackson St. Extension Thu Genealogy Fan 4
Alexandria Dating
Find my Match

Alexandria Jobs