: 4-H Fair: Steer determination

: 4-H Fair: Steer determination

There are 1 comment on the Herald-Bulletin story from Jul 18, 2007, titled : 4-H Fair: Steer determination. In it, Herald-Bulletin reports that:

“I'm thinking about how I'm going to do, and how my cow is going to act”

The last thing you would expect to feel while walking around the cattle barn at the Madison County 4-H Fair is the sensation of being in a beauty salon. via Herald-Bulletin

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Herald-Bulletin.

Hard Working 4-Her

Lebanon, IN

#1 Jul 18, 2007
Throughout the year, every 4-Her works very hard on their project. The culmination of all of the hard work takes place at the Madison County 4-H Fair. We spend an incredible amount of time learning about the beef industry, taming and training animals (which typically weigh over 1,000 pounds) and then groom our animals. Much the same as when someone takes their dog to be groomed, the cattle need to look just right when they enter the ring.
Sometimes, the hard work and learning are not very well respected. I can understand how someone who does not know what 4-Hers go through to get their animals looking their best for the judge would not expect to walk into a cattle barn during show grooming and feel like they walked into a beauty parlor. But that is just what it is, a beauty parlor. This same beauty parlor can be experienced during the dog, cat, horse, and to a lesser extent the pig shows - to name only a few.
Our show at Madison County is really tame compared to larger shows.
Since you are new to livestock shows, welcome to our world.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alexandria Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
happy birthday, mikey!! (Sep '14) Oct 2 goldie 3
News Ind. Gov't. - 'Central Indiana reservoir projec... Sep 28 Test 2
tammy mcclish is she a drug add and on welfare Sep 27 clifford 1
News Celebs support James Dean museum (Nov '06) Sep 24 John 27
Ronnie Reed (Feb '15) Sep 15 Mr_J 15
What Do You Think About Public School Dress Code? (Mar '07) Sep 8 callmemister 115
Check Points Sep '15 guffy 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Alexandria Mortgages