Student With Down Syndrome Crowned Ho...

Student With Down Syndrome Crowned Homecoming Queen

There are 8 comments on the WNBC New York story from Oct 15, 2008, titled Student With Down Syndrome Crowned Homecoming Queen. In it, WNBC New York reports that:

There wasn't a dry eye in the stadium last weekend when the Aledo Bearkats crowned a student with Down syndrome their new homecoming queen, Fort Worth station KXAS reported.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WNBC New York.

Michelle Dunn

Richfield, KS

#1 Oct 16, 2008
That is a wonderful honor for that girl. Disabilities are becoming of little and little importants. People, greatfully are looking at abilities, not disabilities of people. It is great to see good in the world still.
TiredOfPCCrap

United States

#2 Oct 16, 2008
Please. How PC. Let's all sit around the fire and sing kumbaya. Whatever. It's probably the highlight of her life. What is she doing in school anyway taking up all the resources that could be used for the kids who are actually going to be productive memebers of society and not drains on social services? While she's playing school, other kids actually need to learn something.
Carol in Ohio

Maineville, OH

#3 Oct 16, 2008
Kristin is a doll and I'm so happy that her generation is so accepting of people with handicap's. I have worked with this special population for year's and know how wonderful, honest and loving these special people are. Thank you Aledo Bearcat's.
Carolyn T

Gaithersburg, MD

#4 Oct 20, 2008
My son with Down Syndrome was chosen as the mascot at his high school for his senior year a couple of years ago, and got the loudest applause at graduation ceremonies for 500 students. Thank God times have changed, because EVERYBODY benefits - congratulations to Kristin!
Quoter

Brooklyn, NY

#5 Oct 21, 2008
Carolyn T wrote:
My son with Down Syndrome was chosen as the mascot at his high school for his senior year a couple of years ago, and got the loudest applause at graduation ceremonies for 500 students. Thank God times have changed, because EVERYBODY benefits - congratulations to Kristin!
Mascots are stupid and goofy. Not exactly something to be proud of. The other students cheered 1) because they felt sorry for him and 2) they were making fun of him. Meanwhile he's taking up valuable school resources from kids who have potential to be productive and valuable members of society.
AledoGirl

Graford, TX

#6 Nov 19, 2008
I've always lived in Aledo, Texas. Kristin (for one thing) is very high functioning. Even if she wasn't, every child - regardless of disabilities or regularity - should have the opportunity for education. Aledo ISD is known for its schools around the metroplex. Kristin is not treated so because people feel sorry for her; she's a wonderful person and we all love her. And one more thing - she looked beautiful that night on the football field.
Medic528

Warner Robins, GA

#7 Nov 19, 2008
TiredOfPCCrap wrote:
Please. How PC. Let's all sit around the fire and sing kumbaya. Whatever. It's probably the highlight of her life. What is she doing in school anyway taking up all the resources that could be used for the kids who are actually going to be productive memebers of society and not drains on social services? While she's playing school, other kids actually need to learn something.
It is a good thing you ae in New York. An statement like this in the south would have really bad results for you. Stay North we don't need retal openings like you.

“Just looking for information”

Since: Nov 08

Talcott,WV

#8 Nov 25, 2008
Congratulations Kristin!!! Way to Go. I am so glad that people are accepting people for what is inside now. Back in 2000 when I graduated that wouldnot have been an option, but thankfully today it is.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Aledo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Looking for her 16 hr benalongtime 1
Looking for Green Decendants Dec 2 Debbie 1
Paschal High School 80's LGBT Reunion Dec 2 Dana Arnn 6
missing people in fort worth area Nov 30 irma Jaramillo 1
News Texas Democrats lament first presidential elect... Nov 28 Graybeard Geezer ... 22
News Application process takes new route (Nov '06) Nov 28 Mary Mindieta 5
gang stalking in dfw (Feb '16) Nov 28 Donedirtcheap 21

Aledo Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Aledo Mortgages