Millsap ISD will try again to pass TRE

Millsap ISD will try again to pass TRE

There are 44 comments on the Weatherford Democrat story from Jul 28, 2010, titled Millsap ISD will try again to pass TRE. In it, Weatherford Democrat reports that:

With a 16-cent property tax increase on the table, Millsap ISD trustees Monday approved a September election to try a second time to pass a tax ratification election.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Weatherford Democrat.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Millsap taxes too high

Weatherford, TX

#1 Aug 5, 2010
This school thinks they need to live high on the hog. They need to get back to basics and quit hiring assistants for everything. Why does a high school this size need an assistant principal? Why do they need so many coaches? They are not very efficient and do not spend our tax money wisely. They do not take care of their maintenance equipment and this costs extra money. Why is our school taxes so much higher than everywhere else? I wish someone could look into where all the money goes.
mom

Weatherford, TX

#2 Aug 11, 2010
i think the tre needs to pass because I know of several kids that have been bullied and picked on at Millsap to the point they do not want to go to school. The school needs more money to hire extra security at elementary, middle, and high school. We have teachers being hit and bitten by students and we have kids that are afraid to go to school. The administration is not doing anything to protect our kids so they need to hire more security guards to patrol the halls and classrooms. Millsap used to be a great school. I wish i knew what changed so we could get it back. Please vote yes for the tre so we can get more security guards to watch all the bad apples.
millsap

United States

#3 Aug 27, 2010
this school is horrible. superintendent should be replaced with someone that actually cares about the kids and not himself. why vote for the tre when you know the extra money will be wasted. these kids deserve a better school and it takes a better administration, not more money. i sure hope our taxes don't go up until something changes. more and more parents are looking at taking their children out of millsap schools
No hope

Frisco, TX

#4 Aug 30, 2010
Additional security guards won't do the trick. The administration will dictate their efforts and advise them that complaints are without basis. After that the school will find "legal" ways to harass you "in the best interest of your child and the other students.". Don't dare tell the truth about what has happened. You'll have threatening notes in your mailbox, defamation of character, and a kid who is scarred for life. What we really need is a pay for performance system for schools. Or better yet, we stop forcing kids to go to a school where they have to endure this kind of treatment, and divert tax contributions from bad schools to a school where our kids can attend without fear of harassment or retaliation.
JIT

Lipan, TX

#5 Sep 2, 2010
One very important factor in debating the TRE is recognize the rank of the people in your town. Not to be too bold, but given a town with people in lower class, the TRE would not be effective. Millsap is an awesome school, with great programs, and really good kids. I think its pretty much mid class, but not at all upper class, anyone anywhere isnt upper class anymore. Money is slipping away. When voting or debating this subject be sure to not only look at the bigger picture of the tax rate effects, but take into consideration of the people and their financial status around you.
abc

Weatherford, TX

#6 Sep 13, 2010
Well, looks like our school tax has now increased to $1.66 per hundred. This just doesn't make sense. I realize the kids need a good education and sports is nice but 5 miles down the road in Brock, their school tax is only $1.39 per hundred and it is common knowledge that every year Brock outperforms Millsap in sports and academics. If they can budget their school on $1.39 per hundred and acheive excellence in sports and academics, why can't we? What is wrong at Millsap? Why does it take so much extra money from the taxpayers? The president want's to tax everyone more and so does this school. When does it end?
eagle

Euless, TX

#7 Sep 15, 2010
The difference between Millsap's $1.66 and Brock's $1.39 has nothing to do with performance in athletics. The different is in the rate collected for your bonds for new buildings and facilities and other upgrade necessities. Millsap obviously has more bond debt than Brock.
jerry

Weatherford, TX

#8 Sep 17, 2010
i'm sure the new football stadium, new elementary school has raised millsaps tax rate above most other schools in Texas. our kids deserve it all and deserve even more. we rent and do not own property in parker county but i do thank all the property owners that pay taxes to help out our school. i think the taxes should all go higher cause there are wealthy people, ranches, and business that can all pay in more taxes. they are the people that always gripe about taxes going up but they can afford it. us people that dont work cannot pay so they need to pay more. people need to understand that higher taxes are needed to keep all my kids with the very best school buildings and teachers and coaches and lunches. i need to get my boy out of daep so he can take advantage of all.
Tired of Taxes

Millsap, TX

#9 Sep 22, 2010
jerry wrote:
i'm sure the new football stadium, new elementary school has raised millsaps tax rate above most other schools in Texas. our kids deserve it all and deserve even more. we rent and do not own property in parker county but i do thank all the property owners that pay taxes to help out our school. i think the taxes should all go higher cause there are wealthy people, ranches, and business that can all pay in more taxes. they are the people that always gripe about taxes going up but they can afford it. us people that dont work cannot pay so they need to pay more. people need to understand that higher taxes are needed to keep all my kids with the very best school buildings and teachers and coaches and lunches. i need to get my boy out of daep so he can take advantage of all.
The people who don't pay taxes are always the ones so certain the ones who do pay taxes CAN pay them. Truth is always that it's the greed of the ones who are not paying taxes who are being selfish. I'm not rich and never will be when those who don't pay taxes take more and more of what I work so hard to earn. I don't have kids here, so I'd rather spend my money on my grandkids who live elsewhere. The extra I'll have to pay here would go a long way toward helping them. But greed here in Millsap has stopped that. Hope they enjoy their extracurricular activity coaches. I will NOT be supporting Millsap school in any way except the taxes forced on me.
Cool Tx Mom

United States

#10 Sep 23, 2010
As a mother of two children that goes to school at Millsap, I'm very happy the tax ratification passed but I also know that it is going to affect several of my neighbors that are barely making it now. Increasing any taxes during this economy is going to hurt some people. The school tries to bring in more money by accepting the out of district transfers but this causes differnt problems because so many of these kids are trouble makers. My kids come home from school every day with stories about the "bad kids" at Millsap. The teachers and administration do not discipline these kids and their fellow students have learned that it does not do any good to report their bad actions. Last year a good student and sweet kid was terrorized and run out of Millsap because of one bully. We've had over 10 good students transfer to other schools this year because of these types of problems. We lost at least 3 excellent teachers, Darla Henry, Jerri Aaron, and James Hamilton. I have to wonder if they left because of the financial situation so I hope we do not lose any more good teachers or good students. I pray the extra tax money will be used wisely to improve this school instead of being wasted.
Josh

United States

#11 Sep 24, 2010
sick and tired of millsap taxes. cannot pay more. work hard for my money. schools, county, govmt, all want more of my money. its not right
me too

Whitney, TX

#12 Sep 25, 2010
Josh wrote:
sick and tired of millsap taxes. cannot pay more. work hard for my money. schools, county, govmt, all want more of my money. its not right
they are just running over us with taxes everywhere.
Rusty Nail

Austin, TX

#13 Mar 23, 2011
Millsap ISD trustees: you made the tough call, you did the right thing, and the majority of the voters agreed. That's democracy.

@Tired of Taxes ... yeah, we all are, but what's this about there being people who don't pay taxes? Anybody who buys something other than groceries pays sales taxes. Anyone who rents pays money to the landlord from which the landlord pays property taxes. Anyone who gets a paycheck pays social security taxes. Unless someone is homeless on the street and lives by begging, he is paying taxes. The shame is the very wealthy who use every dodge to avoid paying their fare share. And I'm sure your grandkids who live elsewhere are being supported by the taxes of someone local with grandkids elsewhere, so it all evens out.
taxes too high

Grapevine, TX

#14 Mar 28, 2011
When does it end? Why are Millsap's school taxes so high? The Millsap TRE passed last year but our superintendent is still whining about not having enough money. I doubt if his whining is going to make any difference just as my whining about higher taxes is not going to change anything. Why doesn't he start looking at his own management of the school finances? Everyone is looking at budget woes now...even obama is having to look at budget problems...the big question is whether he will do anything to cut some programs and focus on the basics or just try to raise taxes on all us working folks...the big question for MISD is whether they will cut some programs and focus on the basics or will they again ask for more money. I think we all know the answer to both questions.
Donna

Grapevine, TX

#15 Mar 28, 2011
Sick and tired of property taxes increasing. Off to work I go to pay for your kids education or maybe I'm paying for coaches, band directors, new stadium, and all the other nice things that we could honestly do without in this pitiful community. There is a good reason the superintendent refers to this school as the "black bean" school. We earned the name and we deserve it.
Democrat

Grapevine, TX

#16 Mar 28, 2011
wat a bunch of retarts!!! school is broke because we have republican governer!!! elect a demorat gov and he will start taking more $ from the rich to pay for schools
soph

United States

#17 Mar 29, 2011
This school sucks. My parents have agreed to let me go to Brock or Mineral Wells next year. I hate it here!!!
millsap taxpayer

Grapevine, TX

#18 Mar 30, 2011
Below is a letter to the editor of the Mineral Wells index in response to Hunkapillar's letter. I don't believe he has been telling us the whole truth about the financial situation at Millsap.

Mineral Wells Index (Letter to the editor)

Earth to Millsap ISD – Perry not all to blame

Dear Editor,

The recent op-ed article by (Millsap ISD Superintendent) Dr. Hunkapiller prompted this reader to investigate. A few facts, thanks to the Texas Education Agency website, might enable the flummoxed superintendent to end his tantrum against the governor and to focus on solving problems for which he receives over $100,000 a year in salary, thanks to Texas taxpayers.

This reader pays school taxes over four times what they were 19 years ago. The TEA confirms the cost per Texas student is over 65 percent more than 10 years ago. However, few taxpayers have seen that kind of rise in income.

Per the TEA, the total expenditure per Millsap student doubled in the past five years, as it increased from $8,846 in 2004-05 to $17,778 in 2009-10. However, the student population dropped from 813 in 2004-05 to 767 in 2009-10.

Per an Index article in 2009, school district authorities authorized the building of a new elementary school designed for high growth (despite declining enrollment). Our economy collapsed in 2008 in large part because for years millions of homeowners bought houses they couldn’t afford, leading to the housing bubble collapse and a recession reducing Texas tax proceeds. Perhaps school authorities may have suffered from the same fiscal over-optimism as the homeowners who expected ever-increasing incomes. Past mistakes are history, though, and it’s time to move on.

Millsap’s expenditure of $17,778 per student is greater by far than any other school district in Parker County. Garner spent $13,633 per student; Peaster,$13,864; Springtown,$11,984; Poolville,$12,104; Weatherford,$9,942; and Cross Timbers Academy,$8,499.

With declining enrollment, perhaps it’s time to think about consolidating with some other school district. Over the past decades the number of Texas districts have steadily declined due to cost cutting through consolidation. One example is Stephens County which has had one district for the entire county since the early 1950s.

These are hard times for most Texans demanding creative, responsible decisions. Millions of retired people depending on investment income have been wiped out as the Fed reduced interest rates to zero. School administrators need to focus on the learning process as priority one and not the status quo, since economists are telling us this is going to be a long recession. Planning ahead is a part of every successful endeavor. When one is responsible for millions of dollars of annual tax dollars, knowledge of basic economics and financial management is a must.

Successful superintendents will look to new technology, as exemplified by private schools with high learning rates who implemented a combination of virtual and physical classrooms, along with software such as Rosetta Stone foreign language courses. Challenges bring out the best in people who open their minds to the real world and see an opportunity, rather than wringing hands and writing offensive op-eds.

Mary Childs Burleson, Texas
Earth to MISD

Grapevine, TX

#19 Mar 30, 2011
Wow!!! We are spending $4,000 to $9,000 more per student than any other Parker county school and Hunkapillar wants to blame everything on Rick Perry. I'm sure that none of this is Hunkapillar's fault. He is perfect...just ask him. This is insane! What is going on here? Are the students getting $4,000 to $9,000 more of an education? I don't think so.
anon

Grapevine, TX

#20 Mar 30, 2011
I voted for the tre but wish I had this information at that time. It would have changed my vote.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Aledo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll what happened to all the original labare dancer... (Jun '10) 6 hr Dee 282
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) 7 hr dortmund 1,055
News Dallas-County 15 mins ago 6:27 p.m.At least 2 a... Sat 25or6to4 1
News Anti-Trump protesters march in Fort Worth Jan 19 Donny Trump 4
News In Blue Mound, turning the valves on a new city... (Oct '15) Jan 14 Mosaic pollutes 24
News In a small Texas town, a new private detention ... Jan 14 TerriB1 1
Pig martin 10 day vacay Jan 13 Hold My Beer 2

Aledo Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Aledo Mortgages