1 teen killed, 2 hurt in weekend wreck

1 teen killed, 2 hurt in weekend wreck

There are 40 comments on the Star-Telegram.com story from Jul 17, 2006, titled 1 teen killed, 2 hurt in weekend wreck. In it, Star-Telegram.com reports that:

A 16-year-old Aledo High School student died Sunday in a traffic wreck in Parker County that injured two other students, officials said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Star-Telegram.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Kristin

Fort Worth, TX

#21 May 3, 2007
I live in Aledo, and am a teenage driver. I got my license the day after I turn 16 and my dad bought me a BMW 1995. I am not a fast driver or a dangerous one. Yet, I still slide on bankhead. It is a dangerous road, and the girl driving wasnt paying attention to where she was driving.
Ashley

United States

#22 May 29, 2007
When I was 9 years old I lost my older, 14 year old, brother to a car accident. My thoughts are with the affected families, ma the ever oving memories of their child live in forever
Old Bars Man

Reedville, VA

#23 May 29, 2007
Daniel wrote:
That's gay, reall really gay, it's ok to wreck and cause accidents, it's not all of our fault! that is so f' ed up
Daniel, would you care to again attempt to state what you mean, this time in a coherent statement.
Laura

Helena, MT

#24 May 29, 2007
As God said,"Our children are only with us for aseason".It's not just cars that kill your children out in this world.There is so many other things they can get into out there.we just have to pray that God will take care of them,if it is your time to go,nothing will keep us here...sports car ...volts wagon..what ever.I pray for God to comfort her family and friends.Parents,pray for angels to take care of your children everyday,while they are on there journey.Love and God Bless
Rebekiah

Paonia, CO

#25 May 29, 2007
I believe that teens should not have their own car at the age of 16. I just recently got my first car and I'm 21. It's a 1993 Ford Thunderbird. While it may be a "sports car" to some, with a sunroof and a V8 engine, I don't go showing off in it. All I care about is getting safely from point A to point B and being aware of other drivers along the way.

In a way, it doesn't matter if it's a sports car or a sedan being drove, and in a way it does. One one hand, you can crash a sports car just as easily as a sedan. On the other, being in a sports car, teens might start thinking since they have a nice car, they need to show it off and that increases the chance of their mind not being on their driving.

I'm a First Responder with the local fire department, so I've seen my fair share of teen crashes. While I was in high school, I lost 4 friends to car crashes. All involved speeding and sports cars.
Sunshine

Duncanville, TX

#26 May 30, 2007
I live in Azle and I wish a law would pass that no one couls get their license until the age of 18. At the age of 16 you do not have much experience on the road. Drivers ed needs to be taught in schools for grades 9th -12th I believe all should have to go to a defensive driving school. When you are 16 you are more likely to show off in your car in front of your peers and get yourself or someone else killed. I am not speaking of the accident that yall are posting about I am just speaking in general. 18 should be the age to get a license.
Darci Davis

Plano, TX

#27 Jun 6, 2007
I agree and disagree with some of the things posted on this board all together.One has said the legal driving age should be 18... obviously they dont have teenagers and if they do they dont want their teenagers to have a life and they dont want a life. If i didnt have a car my junior and senior year of high school i wouldnt have been able to have done half of the things i got to do. Especially senior year... things were crazy to say the least.

Nicole was a very important part of my life and i will always remember her( she was my cousin).

The sucky part for chantell is that even though she didnt mean for it to happen (because who would really WANT to kill one of their best friends) 1. she will have to live with it forever and 2. like someone else said she pretty much was shunned from high school in Aledo.

I can understand why the students shunned her, but it doesnt make it right. They feel the same way that i feel about it and im not sure that i would act any differently had i been friends with her. It could have been prevented by actually following the speed limit signs and doing what you are supposed to do. I am not going to sit here and say i never speed and if any of you do you would be a liar as well, but i can say i try not to because i dont want to end up like Nicole.

There are so many things she will never get to experience. I will never get to see her senior pictures... or her prom pictures... or even meet the man that she was supposed to marry. I will never see her at another family birthday party or other event because she was taken from us. But nicole is in a better place and i am so thankful for that. She has changed so many lives with her testimony and i dont know how she could ever be forgotten. Like our Grandpa Mack said there were hundreds of people there.

Almost a year now.... and we still miss her.
My gosh

United States

#28 Aug 16, 2007
A sports car in the hands of a teen is like giving them a loaded gun. I don't know what kind of car these girls were in but it sounds like it might have been a 'real' sports car and not just a sporty looking car. We got our daughter a Geo Storm, cute little 5 speed, canary yellow. She couldn't take off fast, or build up any 'real' speed. She felt sporty because it was a 5 speed, but that's it.

We also told her that if she ever got a ticket, she'd lose the car for 1 week for ever mile over the speed limit she was ticketed. We are "mean" parents and she knew we weren't kidding. She never got a ticket, in fact, she got her first ticket in college, for rolling through a stop sign, in college.

This is a sad story, my heart goes out to both families. My God give them all peace of mind.
Stogie

Stephenville, TX

#29 Aug 23, 2007
You people sometimes amaze me. The type of car driven is not as important as how the person is taught to respect it. I drive a Mini Van that will run 140 MPH if I want to. So your "sports cars are bad" theory is Hog Wash. Yes, I said Hog Wash!

A car is fast, any car, show me a car that won't do 80? That is fast, that speed will kill. So will 50. Accidents happen, sure, somebody made an error, but these things happen. You can't blame it on the parents, nor can you blame it on the car.

It is called circumstance. Steve, you could stand to get your head checked.
Heaven Can Wait -

Stevens Point, WI

#30 Aug 23, 2007
Stogie wrote:
You people sometimes amaze me. The type of car driven is not as important as how the person is taught to respect it. I drive a Mini Van that will run 140 MPH if I want to. So your "sports cars are bad" theory is Hog Wash. Yes, I said Hog Wash!
A car is fast, any car, show me a car that won't do 80? That is fast, that speed will kill. So will 50. Accidents happen, sure, somebody made an error, but these things happen. You can't blame it on the parents, nor can you blame it on the car.
It is called circumstance. Steve, you could stand to get your head checked.
My Expedition will do well over 100 mph too, but it wasn't built to do that, not like a Corvette or any real sports car. There's a difference and surely you realize that. I am 47 and I know that I do NOT have any business with a car that will do 0 - 60 in a heartbeat. I don't have enough self control, I know my 26 yr old wouldn't, much less a teenager.
jason

Fort Worth, TX

#31 Oct 2, 2007
he is gay
Too Sad

Galveston, TX

#32 Oct 30, 2007
what a sad story. anybody know how the family is doing?
pogo possum in texas

Fairport, NY

#33 Nov 25, 2007
after reading these comments i see a lot of problems. my feeling is that many teen drivers arenot competant to be driving any type of car.the driving age should be 18 and then only after attending driving school. i see these teen drivers every day and a number of them should be in a juvenile facility. most of them don't have the sense to even ride a bicycle. they are to intent on drinking or using drugs. get them off the streets.
Jeremy

Weatherford, TX

#34 Dec 11, 2007
I agree with Steve if you just give a expensive car to a teen they won't take care of it, they should have to work for so they will appriciate it more and then they probally won't drive over the speed limit or do stupid stuff trying to be cool
Darci

United States

#35 Mar 8, 2008
Im sorry but an adult will speed just as easily as a teenager with an expensive car. They bought the expensive car pretty much so they could speed. When you buy a sports car its like "look at me... i can go FAST!" The car that Coley died in was a 2006 Eclipse. Like i said in my other post.. if you want the driving age to be 18 then try having a teen in high school that has a million things to do and parents that have a million things to do as well. It doesnt mesh. And most states before you can drive you have to do driving school already, so thats really nothing new.
One person asked how the family is doing...Everyone is doing as well as expected. Aunt Tammy (Nicoles mom) is getting re-married in September, she says he is great with her younger children as well. Uncle John (Nicoles step-father)is doing fine. This is a hard year because in a few short months Nicole would have been graduating from high school. So just keep everyone in the family in your prayers in April(would be coleys 18th birthday) and may (graduation). Thanks!
Naomi

United States

#36 Jul 28, 2008
Many of you don't know the real story. Nicole did nothing to cause her sdeath except get in the car with a wreckless young girl. The boy, that was a passenger, has permanent injuries. The girl was not driving 58. She was going 128 MPH. She has disrespected our family, has never extended any sympathy to our family, and showed concern only for losing her car.Her parents have behaved just as callously. We learned, after the accident, that she had been driving recklessly all day. That was long before the wreck. The paper just said that she was going at least 58 MPH. Save your synpathy
Nicolesmom

Fort Worth, TX

#38 May 1, 2009
I know this. As a parent, I made a huge mistake allowing my daughter to get in that car with a teenager that I did not know well. I was thinking it would be ok to let my child go 2-3 miles down the road with her because I thought it would be alright.
If only I had the foresight to see my poor judgment, my daughter would be here today.
I cannot say that I never drove recklessly, but I can say that if people were scared and asking me to slow down, I certainly would have. I will say that if I killed someone with my own foolishness that I would have went to the family and asked forgiveness and told them how sorry I was.
I would not have been focused on how messed up my pretty little sports car was.
No, a car cannot kill you, but the way you are raised can. If you are not taught to respect others, then you and others, will suffer the consequences.
Sam

Dallas, TX

#39 May 3, 2009
I agree 100% that you should not buy your teena sports car! A boy in a corvette in Mineral Wells wiped out 5 cars a couple of weekends ago, almost going into a home on a curve. Teens do not have enough experience to handle it.
This was a horrible accident in Aledo and hopefully lessions will be learned.
Prayers are going out for the family and friends of Nicole.
Sam

Dallas, TX

#40 May 3, 2009
know this. As a parent, I made a huge mistake allowing my daughter to get in that car with a teenager that I did not know well. I was thinking it would be ok to let my child go 2-3 miles down the road with her because I thought it would be alright.
If only I had the foresight to see my poor judgment, my daughter would be here today.
I cannot say that I never drove recklessly, but I can say that if people were scared and asking me to slow down, I certainly would have. I will say that if I killed someone with my own foolishness that I would have went to the family and asked forgiveness and told them how sorry I was.
I would not have been focused on how messed up my pretty little sports car was.
No, a car cannot kill you, but the way you are raised can. If you are not taught to respect others, then you and others, will suffer the consequences

I agree totally. I am so sorry for your loss.
I pray that the girl driving will learn a very important life lesson from this. Cars and "THINGS"
are not important,people are. You can not replace them when they are gone.
Citizen

Dallas, TX

#41 May 3, 2009
When did the wreck happen? Date? Where?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Aledo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) 3 hr Roughed farts 772
News Third Bandido arrested in motorcycle bar shooting (Dec '14) 5 hr Mike duckit 90
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Sun Education farts 947
News Runoff victor to be publicly sworn in as family... (Sep '06) Sun Victim of ABUSE 88
Irish Traveller Neighborhoods in Fort Worth, TX (Jul '12) Jul 31 concerned citizen 560
Backyard wrestlers in Dallas/Fort Worth TX area... (Jul '07) Jul 31 Serg 9
its hell down here!!!!!!!!! Jul 30 angry resident 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Aledo Mortgages