First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Young Pup

United States

#1 Jul 9, 2012
Just seen how people acted during this state of emergency. Do you think you or others could survive if power Was out permanently?
Its a shame

Baltimore, MD

#2 Jul 9, 2012
It's a shame how people acted during the power outage. Everyone was miserable, but come on have some manners. I really don't think that most people could survive without power. I got used to it, but I honestly don't think I could have. This made me have more respect for my ancestors who didn't have power.
Cave Man

Princeton, WV

#3 Jul 10, 2012
It is a stat that in a real emergency, without power, food sources, water sources, etc. people in todays society would begin to die off in 45 to 60 days. That being said, if something REALLY does occur, 5 out of 10 people around you in your daily life will be dead in two months.
Probably makes them wish they still had those left-overs from last nights dinner instead of throwing them away! Waste not want not! Words to live, or die, by! Just a thought!
Sure Could

United States

#4 Jul 10, 2012
Grew up with no running water, no indoor bathroom, carried water from mountain spring a half mile down the mountain. Picked and canned wild blackberries , blueberries,grapes(ever heard of home made jams and jellies) Raised our own meat; butchered, canned and cured for winter use. Milked our own cows and had fresh butter, cottage cheese, cheese,buttermilk and ice cream. Baked fresh bread and cakes. Still have and use the oil lamps that we read by and did our school work with,
No cell phones, no televisions you worked from daylight til dark. Working large gardens, feeding livestock, milking cows, cutting hay with scythes and stacking for winter use.
I agree that a lot of people would start starving real quick. There are not many capable of living without fast food restaurants or grocery stores or gas for their cars. Would also be packs of thieves roaming the roads that would take what they wanted if they could.
LOL

Marlinton, WV

#5 Jul 10, 2012
Sure Could wrote:
Grew up with no running water, no indoor bathroom, carried water from mountain spring a half mile down the mountain. Picked and canned wild blackberries , blueberries,grapes(ever heard of home made jams and jellies) Raised our own meat; butchered, canned and cured for winter use. Milked our own cows and had fresh butter, cottage cheese, cheese,buttermilk and ice cream. Baked fresh bread and cakes. Still have and use the oil lamps that we read by and did our school work with,
No cell phones, no televisions you worked from daylight til dark. Working large gardens, feeding livestock, milking cows, cutting hay with scythes and stacking for winter use.
I agree that a lot of people would start starving real quick. There are not many capable of living without fast food restaurants or grocery stores or gas for their cars. Would also be packs of thieves roaming the roads that would take what they wanted if they could.
i doubt you could now. if you cut hay that way then, you must be so old you can't walk to the toilet now and depend on depends.
i can survive. i know i can. but avoid people during a social breakdown. if you have, you're dead and they'll take it as you bleed out.
Sure Could

United States

#6 Jul 10, 2012
LOL wrote:
<quoted text>
i doubt you could now. if you cut hay that way then, you must be so old you can't walk to the toilet now and depend on depends.
i can survive. i know i can. but avoid people during a social breakdown. if you have, you're dead and they'll take it as you bleed out.
We live on two acres which on that 2 acres we have peach, apple, pear, plum cherry, mulberry and nectarine trees; all dwarf or semi-dwarf except for the mulberry. Also have large blackberry and raspberry sections. All the above is canned, dried and frozen.
We have two large water gardens with 2ft Koi and foot long goldfish which is needed could be eaten. We also have chickens for eggs along with rabbits for fresh meat. I have herbs growing in my flower gardens
Just a simple 22 rifle can bring down wild game from rabbits to a deer.
This recent storm should wake some of you guys up to what could be coming and give you time to start getting your families a little more prepared.
It doesn't have to be your families starving.

AND LOL believe me It will be people like me pissing on the bones of people like you if this ever comes to pass. I'm 64 years old and I still break and train horses, work a large garden, mow the grass for myself and my neighbors. Stack 60 lb bales of hay over my head onto the hay wagon and YES I am a woman.
jim

Aylett, VA

#7 Jul 10, 2012
I think people would kill and rob each other I think it could very well happen but hey ben franklin u da man
My Opinion

United States

#8 Jul 11, 2012
LOL wrote:
<quoted text>
You are obviously a weak, whinny punk ass! Sure you think you would survive because you would be begging for help from people just like the woman you just insulted. Before it would end for you; you would be begging, selling your body and stealing for survival. I really have to question the parenting of young people like yourself, not taught to respect the age and wisdom of your elders. I have the distinct feeling that this woman would be the one to watch you bleed out because she would have the gun, knife or club in her hand that put you there. We all might be wise to encourage her to give us some ideas about saving and helping ourselves if something does go wrong again. I would rather have someone like her for a neighbor than a useless, smart ass like you if anything does ever go wrong.
LOL

Marlinton, WV

#9 Jul 12, 2012
sorry, during a SHTF situation, i would not be anywhere near people.
during a TRUE SHTF situation, your neighbors who can't do, will be there taking what you got. which is more than a few days or a few months. they'll be like a pack of wolves tearing each other apart over a bone in a snow drift. you announced it over a public board. people can figure out who you are.
i keep supplies buried and underwraps spread out over 3 counties. SHTF, keep moving. and before it happens, train yourself how to survive without. read and learn anything about wild edibles, trapping, survival shelters, etc..
prepped

Lewisburg, WV

#10 Jul 12, 2012
LOL wrote:
sorry, during a SHTF situation, i would not be anywhere near people.
during a TRUE SHTF situation, your neighbors who can't do, will be there taking what you got. which is more than a few days or a few months. they'll be like a pack of wolves tearing each other apart over a bone in a snow drift. you announced it over a public board. people can figure out who you are.
i keep supplies buried and underwraps spread out over 3 counties. SHTF, keep moving. and before it happens, train yourself how to survive without. read and learn anything about wild edibles, trapping, survival shelters, etc..
damn right. if the power goes out and doesnt come back on (solar flare) the BEST thing people should do is stay the f away from other people. go into the woods and come back a year later. the people that are left will be much easier to deal with than all the idiots who have died.
Question

United States

#11 Jul 13, 2012
This directed to the LMAO two that act like they would survive LOL and prepped

Got some questions for you

Can you start a fire without matches or a lighter?
Can you start a fire in a heavy rain or snowfall?
Can you build a fire that does not smoke?
Can you make and walk in snowshoes?
Can you get around in the timber without leaving tracks?
Can you set a snare or deadfall trap?
Have you ever killed and dressed any wild game?
Have you ever killed anything with only a knife or club?
Have you ever cooked a whole meal over a small campfire?
Do you know what plants, bark, and leaves in the timber is edible?
Have you ever cleaned and cooked snake,turtle,frog etc?
Have either of you ever spent more than a few hours out in the timber alone?
Do you know how to stay alive in below zero weather out in the open?
Can you nap flint to make blades and arrowheads?
Can you make any type of a useful weapon or tool?
If you answered no to more than half of these then you two had better find each other cause it will be the blind leading the blind and neither one of you will last 6 months much less a whole year. Scattering your supplies thru three counties will just feed total strangers in three counties cause believe me there are still some real mountain people that could find your stash. With no gas for your vehicles you couldn't get anywhere because neither one of you is used to walking very far.
Both of you need to get real, mountaineers you aren't.
LOL

Marlinton, WV

#12 Jul 13, 2012
i've been studying survival skills since i was a kid. i'm in my 40's now. it started with knowing i was part native and getting interested in all things native. it went from there.
i also grow and save heirloom seeds.
now judge.
Question

United States

#13 Jul 13, 2012
LOL wrote:
i've been studying survival skills since i was a kid. i'm in my 40's now. it started with knowing i was part native and getting interested in all things native. it went from there.
i also grow and save heirloom seeds.
now judge.
You still didn't answer my questions and believe me saving heirloom seeds is a far cry from saving your ass all alone in the wilderness.

I am not judging you but you better get your "native american" shit down just a little bit better. Native american people honored their elders and respected their wisdom which you do not, you are on several different area forums and you are always coming out with wise ass remarks to other people. I feel that if bad days come for the world it is meant to thin out know it alls and self centered selfish people. It will be the people that share their knowledge and help their families and communities that will keep humanity from extinction.
Living

Charleston, WV

#14 Jul 14, 2012
I would welcome a little crisis i believe it could do some good to be setback a few decades and let darwinism weed out a lot of people and humble us all a bit so we can all be a little more self reliant. I also have to disagree with the statement that you want to be alone, solitude would be the simple means for survival but having a small group would be more efficient in case someone gets hurt, to utilize everyone in the groups individual skill set, sharing resources, and not to mention the added security against any thieves or criminals because a crisis situation like that will bring out the worse in people.
LOL

Marlinton, WV

#15 Jul 14, 2012
Question wrote:
This directed to the LMAO two that act like they would survive LOL and prepped
Got some questions for you
Can you start a fire without matches or a lighter?
Can you start a fire in a heavy rain or snowfall?
Can you build a fire that does not smoke?
Can you make and walk in snowshoes?
Can you get around in the timber without leaving tracks?
Can you set a snare or deadfall trap?
Have you ever killed and dressed any wild game?
Have you ever killed anything with only a knife or club?
Have you ever cooked a whole meal over a small campfire?
Do you know what plants, bark, and leaves in the timber is edible?
Have you ever cleaned and cooked snake,turtle,frog etc?
Have either of you ever spent more than a few hours out in the timber alone?
Do you know how to stay alive in below zero weather out in the open?
Can you nap flint to make blades and arrowheads?
Can you make any type of a useful weapon or tool?
If you answered no to more than half of these then you two had better find each other cause it will be the blind leading the blind and neither one of you will last 6 months much less a whole year. Scattering your supplies thru three counties will just feed total strangers in three counties cause believe me there are still some real mountain people that could find your stash. With no gas for your vehicles you couldn't get anywhere because neither one of you is used to walking very far.
Both of you need to get real, mountaineers you aren't.
1: yes
2: never had to. learn to read the sky, and it will forecast for you.
3:yes
4:never had to try. doesn't snow enough in WV
5:yes. read, the art and science of tracking, and you will learn to not leave sign.
6:yes
7:yes. 6 deer alone last season.
8:bashed a bunny once
9:yes
10:yes
11: yes. 4 snapping turtles last year
12: yes. over a lifetime i've spent 4 days and 4 nights with only a blanket and 1 liter of water. after 2-3 days deer will come up and sniff you. once a year i disappear into the mountains for 4 days and wander with only a blanket, fire tools, some dried foods, a knife, water filtration system and one change of clothes.
13:yes. warm clothes, plenty of calories, keep moving, and if in no hurry, build a leaf brush shelter. it requires no fire to keep warm.
14:yes. my fave material is novaculite. WV flint sucks to work with but it can be done.
15:yes
16: when i disappear once a year i usually cover 40 or more miles in 4 days. wandering, learning what is there, etc. all on foot.
you can not find my caches. buried below frost line 2 years ago, watertight and checked once a year. no signs of being found.
ask around, they call me bubbles, mountain lion, and to those who hate me, crazy.
LOL

Marlinton, WV

#16 Jul 14, 2012
in todays modern society i know plenty, probably 99% of "older" people who are just as weak, spoiled as a modern society 5 year old. AGE does NOT mean you are an elder and worth listening to.
Question

United States

#17 Jul 14, 2012
The response you gave to my questions prove to me that you a fake in your claims.
You have a good time getting people to believe your wild tales because a true survivalist and outdoorsman knows you are lying.
Good luck when something really happens cause the world and the human race will not miss you.
I do agree that there are some elders that should not be listened to but that's because they were just like you when they were younger.
LOL

Marlinton, WV

#18 Jul 14, 2012
ahhhhhhhhhhhh.......... a challenge. shall we? my name is w'kawinpedhackwanink also known as kwenischguney , also known as ivan cales
contact me at [email protected]
I have a challenge for YOU. don't test me.
you can find me on lobelia road at yew mtn lodge in pocahontas county.
LOL

Marlinton, WV

#19 Jul 15, 2012
that's what i thought. another alligator mouth that over rides it's parakeet azz.
Question

United States

#20 Jul 16, 2012
LOL wrote:
that's what i thought. another alligator mouth that over rides it's parakeet azz.
Have been away from my link to your world. First of all I am a FULL blood American Indian not some self named how do you people say Wannabe Isn't that what you people call your children that wear their baseball caps backwards, wear their pants pulled down to their knees and listen to loud foul rap music. I am sure that if there is any indian blood in you it came from some white settler raping an indian maid I have went through my cleansing ceremony and survived my manhood test in a state a lot less hospitable than WVA. I earned my tribal name; unlike you making up one and using it. I am currently serving my country so I can not accept any challenge even if I considered you worth it. When I get back to the US then I will talk with my tribal elders to see if you are worth dealing with. Since you challenged me it will be on my terms, loinclothes and a knife that's all, no shoes or moccasins, water,food or anything else and a state of my choosing since you have made it clear that you have supplies hidden in your home state. Don't worry it won't be my home state either.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alderson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
fireworks 1 hr ash 1
Need someone who can carve wood 2 hr MindMap 9
cgll 5 hr Simple simon 1
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) 5 hr Bad ass visitor 1,342
Angie Beaver 19 hr John 3
Wilma Rhodes from hair by Michael on 3rd 20 hr Wondering 11
Vella's Dog BArking! 23 hr wow 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Alderson Mortgages