less is more

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2009

Can anyone there in Alderson tell me if the old school building up on the hill is still there or has it been torn down?
patty

Humble, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2009

yes i is stil tere but it is real run downand in parts of it the ceilingsar falling in i is really such a shame at on timeit was a beautiul bulding i raised 3 boys and they used to go there and play basketall in the gym
patty

Humble, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2009

sorry about my spelling my computor sometimes misses letters when i get i a hurry
less is more

Fairfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2009

patty wrote:
yes i is stil tere but it is real run downand in parts of it the ceilingsar falling in i is really such a shame at on timeit was a beautiul bulding i raised 3 boys and they used to go there and play basketall in the gym
Thank you, so much Patty, for taking time to reply.
Do you know who owns the building now?
I am a former student from back in the '60's and it was indeed a beautiful building. Simply acres of oak flooring and solid oak doors and cornice mouldings, and a beautiful 2 story stained glass window on the central stairway and years and years of memories while attending school there.
Also, I remember how friendly everyone was to us in the town of Alderson. Most of us,(the students), came there from other states to attend the Baptist High School,(and some students, like me, were there on work scholarships to pay for our tuition and part of our job was to take care of the building, so some of us, more that others, got "up close and personal" with the whole building LOL), but it helped so much that the town folks in Alderson and Lewisburg treated us, for the most part, like anyone else in their hometown and that helped soothe our being homesick.
I remember the beautiful Greenbriar River and how clear the water was,(when it wasn't flooding... LOL) and I remember many long hikes up Muddy Creek Mountain in some of the most beautiful country in the world.
You spoke of your boys playing basketball in the gym; even back in the '60's the gym was in sad shape, but it didn't take us long to figure out which planks in the flooring would stop the ball cold. LOL
I have one more question I hope you, or someone there in Alderson who may know, can answer for me.
Do you know if the school records from the students who attended school there for decades are keep somewhere in the school system in Alderson?
Again I thank you.
Take care and stay warm!
Tom

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2009

All the records from the school was taken to Alderson Broadous College in Phillippe WV. They also took the light fictures and stained glass windown and other things like that. When they had the auction for the building and the land there was nothing left in the building. Everything had been removed. Hope this helps.
less is more

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2009

Tom wrote:
All the records from the school was taken to Alderson Broadous College in Phillippe WV. They also took the light fictures and stained glass windown and other things like that. When they had the auction for the building and the land there was nothing left in the building. Everything had been removed. Hope this helps.
Yes, thank you Tom, for the updated information. I will contact someone at Alderson College concerning our records.
We had been told the building had possibly been torn down and I am very glad it hasn't been and that the window has been given to the college. If my memory serves from info gathered way back when, I think the college actually commissioned the stain glass window to be made originally, and later on, after the college moved to Phillipi, the building was used as a military academy.
Do you know if perhaps someone in Greenbriar County Historical Society may be wanting to have the building put on the historical preservation list?
Funds could then be granted to have it restored somewhat. Even if the wings weren't restored, the main section could again be made beautiful and it could possibly become a museum, etc.(Just thinking out loud here).
The building is pre-civil war from what I understand.
Tom

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2009

I have no idea about the building being on the Historcial List. I don't know anyone on the Greenbrier Co Historical Society. You may contact Margaret Hambrick (Dave Hambrick) as she is very involved in community activities. They are currently remodling a home in Alderson and I am not sure if the have had there phone reconnected yet. The last I heard the building was owned by Dr William Perrine's estate from Lewisburg. There are many things the building could be used for. Such as a nursing home or a retirement home or a tourist attraction and the list goes on.
less is more

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2009

Tom, I really appreciate all the information you passed on to me. Thank you.
Deb

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

I just ran across this site and was very surprised. Since you said you went to MSBHS in the 60's maybe you would also be interested in knowing that on facebook we have our own page. You can check it out some time. They have been having an all school reunion for the last 3-4 yrs. All the info is posted on the FB page. I attended from 69-71.
Susan

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2013

I remember Mountain State so well. My parents were teachers there and we actually lived in an apartment in the building. Fishing in the pond, hiking the property and exploring the building and the old school behind it. The auditorium was my own personal stage and I would practice the piano for hours. I still play and sometimes think back to those times. My dad just died 2 months ago but we used to talk about those days a lot.
GHH

Princeton, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2013

Susan, Do you remember a person by the name of Daniel Oakley. He lived at the school but he attended Alderson High School. His Dad worked there. We were friends in school in 1965, 66 and 67. I believe he had a sister. Always wondered what happened to him.
Susan

Wessington Springs, SD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2013

I don't remember him. We moved there in the fall of 1970 when i was 8 years old and moved away in 1977. I just ordered a 1973 yearbook from eBay so maybe he might b in there.
GHH

Princeton, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2013

Thank you. They would have been out of school by then. I think I have found them on facebook. Sent a message but haven't gotten a reply back yet.
1 post removed
Susan

Blackwood, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2013

lol wrote:
Is this place hanuted???? Has it always been a high school or was it something else beforehand
To LOL from what my dad told me it was a college before the boarding school took over. And YES! I totally agree that the building's haunted. Had a couple things happen while I was there that we couldn't explain
Try telling that to a group of preachers
Ha. Students used to tell stories also. Fun but freaky place to live. I miss the old days

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

8 Users are viewing the Alderson Forum right now

Search the Alderson Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
WV Who do you support for U.S. Senate in West Virg... (Oct '10) 18 min Mgtn Res 54,190
Big Bust Coming 26 min aka 4
Looking for luv new in town 10 hr Whiteboi69 1
New in town for luv tonight 10 hr Whiteboi69 1
What happened after the parade at 3way stop 12 hr Travel world 29
Anna flora 23 hr Travel world 12
Urinating in Public Jul 26 Just saying 6
•••
•••
•••
•••

Alderson Jobs

•••