Contrite embezzler gets jail time for...

Contrite embezzler gets jail time for $200,000 theft from employer

There are 35 comments on the Buffalo News story from Oct 25, 2007, titled Contrite embezzler gets jail time for $200,000 theft from employer. In it, Buffalo News reports that:

“I am profoundly sorry for what I did”

A former bookkeeper for a Williamsville defense contractor was sentenced Wednesday to six months of weekends in jail for embezzling more than $200,000. Carolyn Andersen Simses, 44, who came to court with a ... via Buffalo News

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Buffalo News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
a joke

United States

#21 Nov 14, 2007
So your saying it is okay to steal from your employer??? Boy am I glad I don't work with any of you.... Seriously does the amount really matter? A crime is a crime is a crime.... And a personal vendetta, obviously you have never had or worked in a place where stealing has happened. It effects everyone who works there. I can't believe you are saying this was ok.... I think you all need to get help quickly.
unkown

United States

#22 Nov 14, 2007
you're right--I am one of those who is OUT of a job and returned from handing out my resumes and am on MY OWN TIME. By the way, somehow she still maintained HER job, but I lost MINE. Who's going to feel sorry for me? ANYONE?
unknown

United States

#23 Nov 14, 2007
unkown wrote:
not at all, i am just putting things in a different perspective. who ever you are from buffalo you really have something personal against this woman, otherwise you wouldnt be posting blogs everyday, i mean you are spending a lot of personal time checking up. I hope your not on the clock weasting company dollars posting blogs.
I was just checking this site and can't believe all the family comments. I am sure none of you would be against Carolyn. I am sure all outsiders want answers from her, not hearing how all of you are defending her.(of course you would). It seems the family or very close ties started this blog. If you don't want anymore comments back - then don't reply anymore. I am not working so this is my free time and it shouldn't matter to you anyway.
unknown

United States

#24 Nov 14, 2007
hmmmm wrote:
<quoted text>
Put perfectly...
hmmm...I have pondered that fact. I have also wondered about the CPA that was supposedly reviewing the records of the company yearly. For those who know the facts the manner in which the crime was committed was anything but sophisticated...surely if the company was in such duress they would have had a Forensic Accountant review the books years ago? Especially if people were laid off in droves, salaries were being cut and bonuses not paid? C'mon now. All this anger and hatred toward Ms. Simses seems kind of like a personal vendetta...
there is no personal vendetta that I am aware about - it seems everyone is just letting off steam and I think it is good for both sides
unknown

United States

#25 Nov 14, 2007
I have started 3 different posts but don't know where to start. If the person in FLA is who I think it is please please rethink what you are doing and saying.... To her family I am glad you support her I would expect nothing less. But be aware for the years she was in Buffalo we were her family. She lied to our faces. She played the pauper the whole time she was stealing, spending an incredible sevrence package and filing bankruptcy. We stood beside her gave her money we supported her all to have been slapped in the face. It hurts it hurts badly. Don't blame us for being angry blame us for believing in her and loving her. I am sorry if you don't understand I wish I could understand why she did it and where is all the money. I'm very sorry but there is no good reason for someone to steal.
unknown

AOL

#26 Nov 14, 2007
Loving family wrote:
<quoted text>
Carolyn committed a crime. I can only surmise why she did this. It may have been the severe pressure she was under at home. I can only assume why, because I did not live in her home nor her mind. Why she did it would only be an excuse. It was wrong both morally and ethically. And she freely admitted her guilt. Her family is well aware of ALL the "facts". She was prosecuted and judged under the jurisdiction of the State of New York and has receieved her just punishment. Restituition has been made completely. ALL MONIES HAVE BEEN PAID. She has begun to serve her jail time. As a loving memeber of her family I know this: I love her. As do her children, sisters, brothers, father etc. At the end of the day she will remain a loved and well liked member of her family and community. We do not love or condone her actions. But she is loved. To compare her to a murderer or rapist is laughable, disturbing and absurd. Do you think that your poorly written, hurtful blog comments are going to help her loving family and children you feel so sorry for? Get a life. Move on. Lets hope the ivory tower you live in is a spotless and ivory as you purport. You should really be a GOD of some sort, being so omniscient. You know ALL the facts. I hope that her family and children is given the time support to heal. And I hope I never have "friends" like you. That quite frankly makes me shiver.
I guess we are the ones that should be shivering to have had a friendship we thought was real. Yes and that goes back to you.........
unknown

AOL

#27 Nov 14, 2007
Loving family wrote:
<quoted text>
Carolyn committed a crime. I can only surmise why she did this. It may have been the severe pressure she was under at home. I can only assume why, because I did not live in her home nor her mind. Why she did it would only be an excuse. It was wrong both morally and ethically. And she freely admitted her guilt. Her family is well aware of ALL the "facts". She was prosecuted and judged under the jurisdiction of the State of New York and has receieved her just punishment. Restituition has been made completely. ALL MONIES HAVE BEEN PAID. She has begun to serve her jail time. As a loving memeber of her family I know this: I love her. As do her children, sisters, brothers, father etc. At the end of the day she will remain a loved and well liked member of her family and community. We do not love or condone her actions. But she is loved. To compare her to a murderer or rapist is laughable, disturbing and absurd. Do you think that your poorly written, hurtful blog comments are going to help her loving family and children you feel so sorry for? Get a life. Move on. Lets hope the ivory tower you live in is a spotless and ivory as you purport. You should really be a GOD of some sort, being so omniscient. You know ALL the facts. I hope that her family and children is given the time support to heal. And I hope I never have "friends" like you. That quite frankly makes me shiver.
Back at ya!!!!!!!!!! Talk about shivering
unknown

AOL

#28 Nov 14, 2007
back at ya.......... talk about shivering
Loving Family

East Haddam, CT

#29 Nov 15, 2007
unknown wrote:
back at ya.......... talk about shivering
Ok, first of all to be posting blog comments at 12:30 am 3 times is really obsessive. Carolyn committed a crime at work. It took place in a CORPORATE enviroment...she has been prosecuted. ALL MONEY HAS BEEN PAID. SHE HAS RECEIVED HER SENTENCE. There have been no allegations from "friends" that she was taking anything from them. If you were a true "friend" and Carolyn was your "family" why are you having such a hard time moving on concerning a corporate crime? It is really creepy that it is so personal...Have you never had a friend make a make mistake? Or be involved in something that you would not be involved in...do you love them anyway? Do you stop loving your family? I think it is very obvious that you were never her FRIEND and care very little about her children and family. You would rather stay up all night bashing her. That is pathetic.
unknown is several people

United States

#30 Nov 15, 2007
Loving Family wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, first of all to be posting blog comments at 12:30 am 3 times is really obsessive. Carolyn committed a crime at work. It took place in a CORPORATE enviroment...she has been prosecuted. ALL MONEY HAS BEEN PAID. SHE HAS RECEIVED HER SENTENCE. There have been no allegations from "friends" that she was taking anything from them. If you were a true "friend" and Carolyn was your "family" why are you having such a hard time moving on concerning a corporate crime? It is really creepy that it is so personal...Have you never had a friend make a make mistake? Or be involved in something that you would not be involved in...do you love them anyway? Do you stop loving your family? I think it is very obvious that you were never her FRIEND and care very little about her children and family. You would rather stay up all night bashing her. That is pathetic.
you really are clueless aren't you and know I have never known anyone who has commited a felony.. and you continue to justify the crime... sad sad very sad
Only20KPerYear

Buffalo, NY

#31 Nov 15, 2007
OK, this has been a heated debate back and forth but can't watch these rationalizations anymore.
First off maybe 20K/year doesn't sound like alot. BUT a previous article said the company she worked for did government contract work.(I've worked for gov't contractors for over 20 years) Thefts can inflate overhead costs making the company lose subsequent bids. Which means they lost WORK and THE MONEY. Work keeps people employed! No new work, then layoffs happen. These things cause ripples that turn into waves...
You have to look deeper to understand the total damage.
Can any of her supporters really say they know the 'true' costs of her 'mistake'?
If so, can I come work for you? I promise I'll only take 20K/year and I will give it all back after 10 years(but I'll keep the tax free 100K of interest)YIKES!! Enough of the ALL MONIES PAID BACK already stuff!!

Im sure ALL parties involved (on both sides) have suffered greatly. So, love and support her, but stop berating the victims for expressing their feelings of betrayal and frustration.
Curious

Buffalo, NY

#32 Nov 15, 2007
"There have been no allegations from "friends" that she was taking anything from them. If you were a true "friend" and Carolyn was your "family" why are you having such a hard time moving on concerning a corporate crime? It is really creepy that it is so personal"

My response to this is--I am curious if any of her family actually asked her if she only stole from the "company"? CORPORATE CRIME vs.(what would you call it) PERSONAL CRIME is there really a difference? A crime is a crime last I checked.
I knew her

Buffalo, NY

#33 Nov 16, 2007
As a contractor working for the company she ripped off, I knew her for many years. She certainly seemed to be a sweet young lady, and everybody liked her. Perhaps that is the really the worst fall out from this, even more than the financial issues. She betrayed a trust and broke the hearts of many who considered her a friend. The boss had, on many occasions, come to her "rescue" financially, he treated her like family. The money is one thing, but I really think that this personal betrayal multiplies the pain many times over.
I knew her

Buffalo, NY

#34 Nov 16, 2007
Oh, and another thing, this "she has repaid it all" thing is a complete crock. First, the DA was unwilling to include many dollars that she stole due to what he considered imperfect evidence. Second, in addition to the actual money, the company effectively lost the interest that the money would have earned (or more likely: had to borrow money at interest to replace what she took). Finally, the cost to the company of prosecuting this case was staggering: forensic accountants don't come cheap. I have seen two large carboard boxes *full* of detailed documentary evidence prepared by the company, at their own expense, to prosecute the case.
unknown

Bayonne, NJ

#39 Nov 19, 2007
can not reveal yet wrote:
<quoted text>
you misunderstood I was talking to the woman from Ct. She needs to hear the other side of the story.. I am sure she is family of that woman and they really need to hear the other side of the story..... I agree what she did to her children makes me crazy and I hope they will let their father back in their lives after she has destroyed that relationship. My heart goes out to her kids and ex-husband and her father........
Please stop all of this..........
Your references regarding "that woman"
What a shame.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alden Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Albion prison worker charged in sex case (Mar '09) Dec 27 Guard101 189
News Power Outage in Lancaster/Depew (Oct '07) Dec 26 Bflo Neocon 9
Rip-off business!!!! Dec '16 rob miskell 1
News WIVB-TV News4 Buffalo, NY |Contract for Depew r... (May '08) Dec '16 tom 133
News For Powers that be, it's all Harris Hill (Apr '08) Nov '16 Original Probe Me... 7
Wendy Zukowski (Jan '16) May '16 Someone who knows 3
Reassessment by corrupt theives (Mar '15) Mar '15 The people that pay 1

Alden Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Alden Mortgages