2 headed to court in arson of Gudgeon...

2 headed to court in arson of Gudgeonville Bridge

There are 16 comments on the GoErie.com story from Feb 3, 2009, titled 2 headed to court in arson of Gudgeonville Bridge. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

The two defendants accused in the torching of the historic Gudgeonville Bridge were ordered held for trial today on charges of arson and other counts.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

geez

Annandale, MN

#3 Feb 3, 2009
As a friend of the family, I know there wasn't any mention of "they did it for fun" in the court reports. Not sure where that came from, media, psp who knows. People need to quit believing all the media's bs!
Lori

AOL

#4 Feb 3, 2009
geez wrote:
As a friend of the family, I know there wasn't any mention of "they did it for fun" in the court reports. Not sure where that came from, media, psp who knows. People need to quit believing all the media's bs!
Could you possibly tell us why they torched the bridge then, since aparently you know the details?
Bills

Erie, PA

#6 Feb 3, 2009
geez wrote:
WHO CARES WHY they did it! Unless they were under duress (a gun held to their held), they did the crime, and they will DO THE TIME!!!
N-Wolfe

Youngstown, OH

#7 Feb 3, 2009
geez wrote:
Then they should hang you along with them for being a friend to those idiots....
BeckyKnapp

Canton, OH

#8 Feb 3, 2009
There was a TV news report this evening that said the defendants are now pointing the finger at each other (no surprise) ... and that they could face up to 44 YEARS for torching the Gudgeonville Bridge. I think they DO deserve some punishment for destroying an historic bridge -- but I think 44 YEARS is a bit excessive.

PAH

Since: Dec 08

Saxonburg, PA

#9 Feb 3, 2009
BeckyKnapp wrote:
There was a TV news report this evening that said the defendants are now pointing the finger at each other (no surprise)... and that they could face up to 44 YEARS for torching the Gudgeonville Bridge. I think they DO deserve some punishment for destroying an historic bridge -- but I think 44 YEARS is a bit excessive.
44 years! A bit excessive!! I guess so! People don't go the jail for murder for 44 years. I loved the bridge too but it is just a bridge. The boys should definitely be punished but sending them to jail for that duration is crazy.
The laws and sentencing guidelines in PA make no sense to me and our judges seem to sentence based on their own agendas rather than objectivity.
BeckyKnapp

Canton, OH

#10 Feb 3, 2009
PAH wrote:
<quoted text>
44 years! A bit excessive!! I guess so! People don't go the jail for murder for 44 years. I loved the bridge too but it is just a bridge. The boys should definitely be punished but sending them to jail for that duration is crazy.
The laws and sentencing guidelines in PA make no sense to me and our judges seem to sentence based on their own agendas rather than objectivity.
I'm quite sure they won't actually be sentenced to that. I believe that's by taking all the counts against them and totaling the maximum they could get for each count. They won't get near that, I'm sure ... but on WSEE, that's what the report said. I thought that, too -- people don't get that much for murder.
concerned for our future

Edinboro, PA

#11 Feb 3, 2009
Oh well, 44 years, hmm , The bridge was a HISTORIC COVERED BRIDGE. What kind of mentallity would do this either jail for being severly stupid or mental facillity for life. works for me. I wouldn't want them out to let's say burn down YOUR house or anything else for that matter. And I don't car who you know. Murders have familys, so do victims, Thats why the law is what it is.
DeaJ

Altoona, PA

#12 Feb 4, 2009
Aw come on now..of course they did it for fun! Its not like they dropped a cigarette and it "accidentally" caught on fire! What other reason could they have possibly had to burn down this bridge?
But friends of the family still want to stand up for 2 idiots who set a historical bridge on fire! The only good part was that no one was physically hurt by these morons night of "fun"!
BeckyKnapp

Canton, OH

#13 Feb 4, 2009
DeaJ wrote:
Aw come on now..of course they did it for fun! Its not like they dropped a cigarette and it "accidentally" caught on fire! What other reason could they have possibly had to burn down this bridge?
But friends of the family still want to stand up for 2 **** who set a historical bridge on fire! The only good part was that no one was physically hurt by these morons night of "fun"!
I believe the news reports said they were both very drunk at the time they set the bridge on fire. What seemed like a lark when they were drunked up probably didn't seem like so much amusement the next day, when they realized the seriousness of what they had done.
Not in ANY way excusing them -- there isn't an excuse for what they did -- but by the same token, they weren't thinking logically when they decided to set the bridge on fire.
(And one of them was a former firefighter, who, apparently, had a fascination with fires.)
Still think a 44-year maximun sentence for burning a bridge is a bit excessive.
Jerome

Erie, PA

#14 Feb 4, 2009
An adequate sentence is 6 to 12 months in jail, and that's probably what they will be looking at... followed by a LENGTHY period of supervision.
BeckyKnapp

Canton, OH

#15 Feb 4, 2009
Jerome wrote:
An adequate sentence is 6 to 12 months in jail, and that's probably what they will be looking at... followed by a LENGTHY period of supervision.
I'd say you're probably right. TV reporters want to sensationalize as much as possible, and reporting that these guys "could face up to 44 years" is pretty sensational. WSEE was trying to "pump up" their story by making more of it than there really is. They'll do some jail time, but definitely not 44 years or even 20 years. They'd run the judge off the bench.
K Mac

United States

#16 Feb 4, 2009
concerned for our future wrote:
Oh well, 44 years, hmm , The bridge was a HISTORIC COVERED BRIDGE. What kind of mentallity would do this either jail for being severly stupid or mental facillity for life. works for me. I wouldn't want them out to let's say burn down YOUR house or anything else for that matter. And I don't car who you know. Murders have familys, so do victims, Thats why the law is what it is.
Too bad they didn't kill a baby, they could be out in two years or less....
Terrance

Erie, PA

#17 Feb 4, 2009
K Mac wrote:
<quoted text>
Too bad they didn't kill a baby, they could be out in two years or less....
Or get no time at all for killing a developing human life.

Since: Jan 09

Erie, PA

#18 Feb 4, 2009
Ouch. Starting to get ugly here.

Community Service: Why don't they make them build a cover over the new bridge to look like the old one?
Erie County Resident

Youngstown, OH

#19 Apr 5, 2009
I think 25 years would be a just punishment, as this is not their first offense.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Albion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Your guide to legends and ghost tales around Er... (Oct '10) Jul '16 Andrew orris 3
News Alleged Sex Scandal in Albion (Jan '07) Mar '16 CMJ 795
News UPDATE: Gas fueled fire that burned historic br... (Dec '08) Mar '16 Kevin Sullivan 21
Conneaut Township (May '14) Dec '15 Suzanne Spirit 4
Are you happy about Carol Loll's vote to raise ... (Nov '15) Nov '15 Bill 1
News Police charge suspects in Fairview burglaries (Mar '09) Nov '15 Resident 37
News For 2015, restaurants look at substantive changes (Jan '15) Sep '15 Albion Bar Patron 2

Albion Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Albion Mortgages