6 area schools on list of best 100 in nation

Full story: GoErie.com 8
A ranking of America's best high schools is notable for six area schools that made the list -- and one that did not. Full Story
xoxo

United States

#1 Dec 11, 2008
RIDGWAY – The national news magazine U.S. News and World Report named Ridgway High School one of Colorado’s top 29 schools, out of 360 schools across the state.

The news magazine analyzed 21,069 public high schools in 48 states using data from the 2006-2007 school year. According to the report, this was the total number of public high schools in each state that had grade K-12 enrollment and sufficient data to analyze for the school year. The best schools were determined in a three-step process. The first two steps ensured that the school served all students well, using state proficiency standards as the measuring benchmarks. For the schools that made it through the first two steps, a third step assessed the degree to which schools prepared students for college-level work.

Schools who made the list were awarded a ranking of a gold, silver or bronze medal. Ridgway High School received a bronze for successfully meeting the first two performance criteria, but failing to offer AP or IB classes or achieving a college readiness index of at least 20.

The report’s methodology was developed by School Evaluation Services, a school data research business run by Standard & Poor’s. It was based on key principles that a great high school must serve all its students well, not just those who are bound for college, and that is must be able to produce measurable academic outcomes to show that the school is successfully educating its student body across a range of performance indicators.

Ridgway Schools Superintendent Douglas Bissonette announced the award at Monday’s school board meeting at the elementary school. He presented a map of Colorado that indicated where the other 28 winning schools are located in the state. With the exception of Telluride High School, which was awarded a silver medal, all other Colorado schools were on the Front Range.

“Think about the number of good high schools on the Western Slope,” Bissonette told the board.“This is an accomplishment worth recognizing. It’s a recognition of what the teachers are doing and what the students are doing.”

Boardmember Don Batchelder recognized the award but indicated a sentiment that because the school received a bronze, there is room for improvement.

“It’s great, but it’s not good enough.”
GUmom

Toledo, OH

#2 Dec 12, 2008
Sorry to burst anyone's bubble here, but no Erie area schools are in the top 100. Top 100 schools are gold medal schools, so if these schools earned bronze metals, I believe they'd be top 300 schools. Top 300 is nothing to be ashamed about, but I think you need to set the record straight.
lou schwartz

Dayton, OH

#3 Dec 12, 2008
they tell this to every state...there are cleveland schools in the top 100 also...and deteroit schools...and phillie schhols...so we know its a joke
wilbur2

Rio Rancho, NM

#4 Dec 12, 2008
Very interesting but probably meaningless. Many schools were probably left out because they had large white populations.
GUmom

Toledo, OH

#5 Dec 12, 2008
I believe there is only one Phillie, one Detroit, and one Cleveland school in the top 100. Actually, the rankings have more to do with percentages of students taking AP classes, so they are predominantly small "white" schools or magnet schools that can be handpick their students.

http://www.usnews.com/articles/education/high...
David

Sackets Harbor, NY

#6 Dec 12, 2008
But, of course, the school district can't just say something good about East High without throwing Academy in there. It's like a handshake with a knife in the back. "Good job East, but let's talk about Academy!" The ESD frustrates me.
Dealmaker

Edinboro, PA

#7 Dec 12, 2008
GUmom wrote:
Sorry to burst anyone's bubble here, but no Erie area schools are in the top 100. Top 100 schools are gold medal schools, so if these schools earned bronze metals, I believe they'd be top 300 schools. Top 300 is nothing to be ashamed about, but I think you need to set the record straight.
Top 100 received gold, next 504 received silver, next 1321 received bronze. The headline is very deceiving. What they really needed to evaluate would be similar size school districts nationwide but its Newsweeks study modeled on their own methods. Now who are we to challenge such a so called national publication.
GUmom

Toledo, OH

#8 Dec 12, 2008
Thank you for clearing this up, Dealmaker. Now maybe the newspaper should do the same. The headline wasn't "deceiving". It was just plain wrong.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Albion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
For 2015, restaurants look at substantive changes Jan 8 Doris N 1
Dan Rice Washout Aug '14 Nosied 2
Conneaut, Conneaut, Conneaut (May '14) May '14 The Suze 1
Conneaut Township, Continued. (May '14) May '14 SuzySpirit 1
Conneaut Township (May '14) May '14 Hank Miraldi 3
Conneaut Township, Part III. (May '14) May '14 Suz-E-Que 1
Conneaut Township Part II. (May '14) May '14 SuzanneSpirit 1
Albion Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web