blount county wet or dry vote
ThomasA

Birmingham, AL

#21 Oct 2, 2012
Dont need your bull wrote:
Blount County staying wet is a bunch of bull. Being dry does not keep alcohol out of Blount County. For years both my husband and myself have worked in Birmingham and if you have ever stopped in Pinson area at the Rite Aid, Food Giant or Winn Dixie you will see people on Friday night and all other times buying the largest carton of beer they can find. This means at least 75% of the cars and trucks coming from Pinson into Oneonta have beer or other alcohol in their auto. I am sure that most of them can not wait to get home so they pop the top and have a few on the way into Oneonta. So staying dry does to help anything except have drivers drinking on the way home. These drivers would stop in Oneonta and buy their beer and take it home to drink instead of being on the road and drinking a few. As far of the people against going wet I can just bet that they have their bottles of wine in the frig. and when out to dinner in a wet county they have their mixed drinks. Come on you know who you are. Get with the 21st Century. Staying dry does not make Blount County special just stupid.
And the people said..........AMEN !!!! Peace!
houston

Altoona, AL

#22 Oct 13, 2012
Dont need your bull wrote:
Blount County staying wet is a bunch of bull. Being dry does not keep alcohol out of Blount County. For years both my husband and myself have worked in Birmingham and if you have ever stopped in Pinson area at the Rite Aid, Food Giant or Winn Dixie you will see people on Friday night and all other times buying the largest carton of beer they can find. This means at least 75% of the cars and trucks coming from Pinson into Oneonta have beer or other alcohol in their auto. I am sure that most of them can not wait to get home so they pop the top and have a few on the way into Oneonta. So staying dry does to help anything except have drivers drinking on the way home. These drivers would stop in Oneonta and buy their beer and take it home to drink instead of being on the road and drinking a few. As far of the people against going wet I can just bet that they have their bottles of wine in the frig. and when out to dinner in a wet county they have their mixed drinks. Come on you know who you are. Get with the 21st Century. Staying dry does not make Blount County special just stupid.
so are you saying the police the police are not doing there job i guess alcohol sales will help us get better production out of them and what we need is drinkers that will obey the law there is a reasonwhy drinking and driving is illegal because people wont drink responableit dont matter wether you drive a half a mile or twenty its still agaist the law and your saying its ok to drink and drive as long as you dont drive a long way
houston

Altoona, AL

#23 Oct 13, 2012
ThomasA wrote:
<quoted text> And the people said..........AMEN !!!! Peace!
how many times have the people said
BC Mommy

Oneonta, AL

#24 Oct 15, 2012
Houston--I don't really understand your argument at all. First of all, we get the money to pave roads from state and federal money, only a small amount of local funds are used. Yes, we do have some paving going on--finally, but a recent study showed that almost ALL of the bridges in Blount County need repairs. It took our county years to save up to repair Horton Mill Bridge, and we still don't have enough to finish the job. How long will it take to repair the bridges? I grew up on Pine Mountain, and Houston, we don't see any road work up there.

As far as you not wanting to go where it is sold--I assume you do not leave Blount County. That is quite an achievement, especially since you live (Altoona) literally within a stone's thrown of a wet county. I don't really understand where you were going with that argument.

As far as taxing marijuana, 26 states have. WE, here in Blount County, are fighting over ALCOHOL, like its the 1920s. Yes, it marijuana was LEGAL, I would certainly want to tax it. However, its not legal, alcohol is. Here is the difference between you and I-- I can think for myself. The simple fact that a substance is available for me does not me I will do it. If I could buy marijuana at a convenience store, I wouldn't. If I could buy beer down the street instead of making a ten minute drive, I still won't drink.

I appreciate you calling me a liar Houston--telling me to keep "hiding behind the lie". Very nice. I guess the lie is that alcohol has made money for other counties, and the additional revenue is the reason I wish it to be legalized here. Let's see the evidence for my "lie": Cullman makes approximately 100,000 per month, 35% of which goes to schools. Arab gave over 400,000 to the schools in the first 10 months of legalizing sales. Oh, and the fact that dozens of cities and counties have voted to go wet--all have reported additional revenue and lower DUI rates--none have voted to go back dry. Let's see the evidence for your argument: Common Sense? Nope. Statistical date? Nope. Educated reasoning? Hahahaha.

Who is the liar, Houston? Hope you have fun locked in your house in Altoona hiding from change.
BC Mommy

Oneonta, AL

#25 Oct 15, 2012
And, FYI Houston. Alcohol is legal to possess in your home here, just as it is in every county in Alabama, every state in America. It is a legal sustance, taxed by the government. You just can't legally buy it here.
Snead Gal

Birmingham, AL

#26 Oct 17, 2012
I will be voting to KEEP BLOUNT COUNTY DRY. I really hope you all think long and hard about this before voting time. Stop looking at just the money and let's pray on it. Pray for the Lord to lead us in the right direction. Look at our country and how it is falling apart. The Lord blessed America and now we are putting our blessings before him. So letís keep Blount County a place where Jesus reigns and he will take care of us without that extra money. BesidesÖ Iíd rather live on the worst road in a dry county than a street paved in gold in the nicest neighborhood with no morals. Iím not saying that people who drink have no morals but this only opens the door for more bad things to come. Oh and by the way...Iím only 28 years old so no one can say Iím living in the past or Iím old &#61514; I respect everyoneís opinions this just happens to be mine.
Lets go wet

Oneonta, AL

#27 Oct 18, 2012
I went did pray on this. I got my answer from Jesus as he said "please hold on a minute I'm changing water into wine". So from 1 wine drinker to another I say lets go wet.
Thank you Jesus
amc

Blountsville, AL

#28 Oct 18, 2012
Houston, read article from Blount Countian dated 7-18-2012, about Arab going wet...It's NOT a bad thing.
amc

Blountsville, AL

#29 Oct 18, 2012
Lets go wet wrote:
I went did pray on this. I got my answer from Jesus as he said "please hold on a minute I'm changing water into wine". So from 1 wine drinker to another I say lets go wet.
Thank you Jesus
Amen Sister!!!!:-)
houston

Altoona, AL

#30 Oct 20, 2012
BC Mommy wrote:
Houston--I don't really understand your argument at all. First of all, we get the money to pave roads from state and federal money, only a small amount of local funds are used. Yes, we do have some paving going on--finally, but a recent study showed that almost ALL of the bridges in Blount County need repairs. It took our county years to save up to repair Horton Mill Bridge, and we still don't have enough to finish the job. How long will it take to repair the bridges? I grew up on Pine Mountain, and Houston, we don't see any road work up there.
As far as you not wanting to go where it is sold--I assume you do not leave Blount County. That is quite an achievement, especially since you live (Altoona) literally within a stone's thrown of a wet county. I don't really understand where you were going with that argument.
As far as taxing marijuana, 26 states have. WE, here in Blount County, are fighting over ALCOHOL, like its the 1920s. Yes, it marijuana was LEGAL, I would certainly want to tax it. However, its not legal, alcohol is. Here is the difference between you and I-- I can think for myself. The simple fact that a substance is available for me does not me I will do it. If I could buy marijuana at a convenience store, I wouldn't. If I could buy beer down the street instead of making a ten minute drive, I still won't drink.
I appreciate you calling me a liar Houston--telling me to keep "hiding behind the lie". Very nice. I guess the lie is that alcohol has made money for other counties, and the additional revenue is the reason I wish it to be legalized here. Let's see the evidence for my "lie": Cullman makes approximately 100,000 per month, 35% of which goes to schools. Arab gave over 400,000 to the schools in the first 10 months of legalizing sales. Oh, and the fact that dozens of cities and counties have voted to go wet--all have reported additional revenue and lower DUI rates--none have voted to go back dry. Let's see the evidence for your argument: Common Sense? Nope. Statistical date? Nope. Educated reasoning? Hahahaha.
Who is the liar, Houston? Hope you have fun locked in your house in Altoona hiding from change.
part of the money for the horton bridge repair is coming from the historical sociaty which tthreaten to pull funding from other projects is why the covered bridges are getting fixed and yes several states have put a tax on marj but in tenn where they have a tax it still is not legal to poss so when they catch you for poss and you don have your tax stamp the you owe them money tax dollars will not solve any problems and the dui rate going down i would like to know where i can find those stats at my self as a matter of fact where did you get all the stats from and yes i live close to altoona which is in a wet county does not mean i have to go in th only store in altoona which sales it i have the right to say i dont want it in the county i live in
houston

Altoona, AL

#31 Oct 20, 2012
Lets go wet wrote:
I went did pray on this. I got my answer from Jesus as he said "please hold on a minute I'm changing water into wine". So from 1 wine drinker to another I say lets go wet.
Thank you Jesus
the bible also says to learn to discerne the spirits too and that the love of money is the root of all evil
Tired of Bible Thumpers

United States

#32 Oct 22, 2012
Someone please tell me why it's ok for 2 clubs in Blount County to sell alcohol but not convenience stores?

Why do you always take 2 baptist friends when you go fishing instead of just one? Because if you take just one, they'll drink all your beer.
BC Mommy

Oneonta, AL

#33 Oct 24, 2012
Bible--that exemption was given by our old Rep., Elwyn Thomas. He was friends with the family who owned Limestone Springs, so they get to sell alcohol. He was also friends with one of the people who owned the Tip Top which puts a new spin on exactly why he wants us to stay dry.

Houston--Obviously you are living in a cave. The statistic about DUI and Domestic Violence rates dropping has been on every major news station. I think the word from both Arab and Cullman is that rates dropped greatly, and they are so happy they now have the funding they need.

Snead--I appreciate your opinion. Now, here is mine. The bible is not intended to be used as a weapon against your neighbor. For every verse you find against alcohol, I will find one for it. Not only that, my church uses wine--alcoholic wine--for communion and many other religious ceremonies, so you are actually keeping me from practicing my religious beliefs. Like most christians worldwide, I do not have any moral issues with alcohol. I do have moral issues with using any substance to excess or using any substance that changes your personality. Some people eat too much McDonalds. Some people smoke a pack of cigarettes a day. Some people drink 4 20 ounce Mountain Dews a day. And some of those people who do those excessive, incredibly unhealthy, and (in my opinion) biblically wrong things, feel like they have the right to judge me because I don't have an issue with the occassional glass of wine. Gluttony is present all through the bible as a behavior to be avoided. Maybe next, you should rally to make sure McDonalds is closed down.

My problem with the attitude of so many Christians today is they are so concerned about the behavior of their neighbor, they forget about their own behavior. If you do not want to drink, it should change nothing for you if alcohol is sold here--its already here, all over the place, a mere ten minute drive from anywhere in the county. Instead of dictating what is morally right and wrong for me and others, perhaps there is other things in YOUR life that need your focus, just as I do not go up to every overweight person and lecture them on the bible, or go up to smokers (my personal pet peeve) and harass them. As I am not perfect, I figure I have things to work on in myself before I start telling others how to live. Jesus can reign in my life even if I am holding a glass of wine. He can reign in my home even if alcohol is sold 3 minutes away (and my children get to go to a better school because of it) instead of 8 minutes.
one who cares

Phenix City, AL

#34 Oct 24, 2012
I dont think that this county be any better off if it turns wet . i came to live here over twenty years ago and one of the reason i still live here is because its dry county be cause i came from a small town that went wet and it destroyed it !!! It might bring more money in bit in the long run u will see this sweet and wounderful place will never be the same !!!
Blount Voter wrote:
The alcohol referendum can bring a SUBSTANTIAL amount of revenue into Blount County. Revenue we are spending in other counties. The alcohol tax can be earmarked for anything, yes anything. That means funding for schools, roads, etc. The county schools are currently funded by a county sales taxes. The alcohol tax is different and is something all wet areas implement. We are talking about MILLIONS of dollars. What can that do for Appalachian ? Snead? Highland Lake? That money is a game changer for them.
City ordinances, like the one Oneonta has developed, prevents strip clubs and even bars! This is not going to be negative growth. This is a step in the right direction. This can bring businesses, jobs, new residences and help those already here stay afloat.
People drink in Blount County. That will never change. Why do we give Jefferson, Marshall, St. Clair, etc.. all the benefits of our revenue?
one who cares

Phenix City, AL

#35 Oct 24, 2012
How about getting $$$$off your minds and think off about the rest of it u say there wont be as many dui's but i think your wrong !!!!i dont drink at all either thank u very much. wait till wineos start hang around the stores and yelling rude comments to your daughters or ask for money for thier next drink im not saying every one that drinks is bad but it does bring the bad out in alot of poeple
one who cares

Phenix City, AL

#36 Oct 24, 2012
[i agree ,amen !!!!
Snead Gal wrote:
I will be voting to KEEP BLOUNT COUNTY DRY. I really hope you all think long and hard about this before voting time. Stop looking at just the money and let's pray on it. Pray for the Lord to lead us in the right direction. Look at our country and how it is falling apart. The Lord blessed America and now we are putting our blessings before him. So letís keep Blount County a place where Jesus reigns and he will take care of us without that extra money. BesidesÖ Iíd rather live on the worst road in a dry county than a street paved in gold in the nicest neighborhood with no morals. Iím not saying that people who drink have no morals but this only opens the door for more bad things to come. Oh and by the way...Iím only 28 years old so no one can say Iím living in the past or Iím old &#61514; I respect everyoneís opinions this just happens to be mine.
BC Mommy

Oneonta, AL

#37 Oct 25, 2012
"wait till wineos start hang around the stores and yelling rude comments to your daughters or ask for money for thier next drink"

Really? I was speechless when I read this--then I started laughing. This is just as ridiculous as the two people interviewed on the news last night. One said "If we are going to be backwards, we might as well stay all the way backwards and be poor". The other said "If we get alcohol, it will bring other things that we don't have now, like drugs and gangs because alcohol brings drugs and gangs". Yes, I am sure there will be all sorts of winos hanging out in the middle of Oneonta, maybe at the Shell Station even! Or maybe they will be out in the county at the Tonka. Scary, scary stuff. Hhhmm, yeah, I'm going to take my chances with the winos and vote YES. But thanks for the chuckle!
ThomasA

Birmingham, AL

#38 Oct 28, 2012
one who cares wrote:
I dont think that this county be any better off if it turns wet . i came to live here over twenty years ago and one of the reason i still live here is because its dry county be cause i came from a small town that went wet and it destroyed it !!! It might bring more money in bit in the long run u will see this sweet and wounderful place will never be the same !!!<quoted text>
Sweet and wonderful places cease to exist when you pave the streets,drop the blue laws,and allow Walmarts,CVS,Walgreens,McDonal ds and foreign owned convenience stores to come to town. Legalized liquor will put the bootleggers out of business and do away with the graft money they slip the preachers and local officials to keep quiet. Being "DRY" is a joke. The booze and money are there,it's just who is making it and who is getting a portion of it. It's certainly not the schools or the general public.
Sylvia Ross

Birmingham, AL

#39 Nov 1, 2012
Uh, I assume this person is attempting to discredit the person who commented on throwing beer cans out and is trying to advocate for voting against bringing Blount County into the twenty-first century by continuing to vote against making Blount County a wet county. I pose a question to this person: Are you a product of a Blount County education? If the answer is yes, then you are one of the most illiterate, ignorant cretins whose post I have ever tried to decipher. Your "sentences" have neither punctuation nor capitalization. You may think it's okay, and you may even be proud of it, because I'll bet you voted for Bush every time, and we all know what a stellar student he was. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't some of the taxes from alcohol sales go to improving education in Blount County? You may want to live in the nineteenth century, but some of us - who are tired of being held hostage by you backward rednecks - are ready to progress. I live on one of Blount County's fine dirt roads. This road has destroyed about five of my vehicles since I've lived here. This place is a disgrace, and some of us are progressive enough to want change. And don't tell us to move if we don't like it. Why don't you people move to an Islamic country - they don't believe in drinking, either.
Sylvia Ross

Birmingham, AL

#40 Nov 1, 2012
Hey, Let's Go Wet!!! All right!!! Are you a fellow Episcopalian like me? By the way, who is "Keep Blount County Special"? All they have is a post office box in Oneonta. Sounds very suspicious to me. I wonder if their members are bootleggers, and preachers and cops who take kickbacks from the bootleggers? Hehehe.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Albertville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: The Beer Cave May 23 Katie96 2
Who shot Dale Gilliland? (Jan '09) May 18 bump 360
News Stomping Grounds: Zaldain Wallops 30-07 To Start May 15 Diamond 1
News Attorney Fuller is disbarred (Aug '09) May 8 justme 41
Tracie Pridmore (Jan '11) May 3 davy 10
News Northeast Alabama officials weigh in on impact ... Apr '15 Bill Wrigley 1
Old friend Looking for Susan and Don Silvus si... Apr '15 wonderin 2
More from around the web

Albertville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]