Buying in Albertson

Buying in Albertson

There are 6 comments on the Newsday story from Mar 23, 2007, titled Buying in Albertson. In it, Newsday reports that:

Community description: If you're looking for suburbia with urban flair, the hamlet of Albertson offers just that.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Walter Greenspan

AOL

#1 Mar 23, 2007
As occurs in all but one of Nassau County's 136 communities (2 cities, 64 villages and 70 hamlets), the Hamlet of Albertson has a different border than does the "Albertson, NY 11507" postal zone (i.e., a place can have an Albertson mailing address and not be in Albertson and a place can be in Albertson and have other than an Albertson mailing address).

X..........area
Hamlet of Albertson.......447
Albertson, NY 11507.......421

There are places in the Village of North Hills and the Hamlet of Searingtown that have an "Albertson, NY" mailing address and there are places in the Hamlet of Albertson that have a "Roslyn Heights, NY" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns:

http://www.lipower.org/company/pubs/popsurvey...
Jennifer Farrell

Belmar, NJ

#2 May 2, 2007
I think "Abilities", the school to help people work, should not be in a residential neighborhood...That could be Searingtown's postal service area or even an elementary school...Abilities needs alot of space and is growing and should be in a proper area that is not residential...I am very surprised it has lasted that long as a commercial space...An unassuming post office with few trucks would serve the neighborhood and Searingtown would not have to depend on Albertsons post office...This town is getting larger and it only makes sense...If it were designed in a low key charming fashion, not modern but quaint, it would not be offensive to the neighborhood...As it is the amount of buses that crowd Searingtown Road for this business is cumbersome...The area by the Albertson Train Station perhaps would make sense, there is alot of room there for growth and cars...Its already a more industrial area to begin with and the people who need to get to Abilities would have the train...But of course, no one will do anything...There will be streets nbamed the same like Searingtown Avenue and Searingtown Road and people will get mail from both streets, cause some jerk couldn't think of a name like Searing Lane, instead of Searingtown Avenue...A tiny street with a huge name and has caused so many problems with opthers packages and mail...but do think anyone will change this? So my friend who lives on this street will continue to get someone elses mail from Searingtown Road and hope that her packages are delivered back to her and alot of the times, they don't, she said...So changing Abilities to a post office and Searingtown Avenue to Searing Lane would not only help the postman deliver the right mail, but would help Albertson's PO to not be overloaded with so much work...and Abilities placement would be in an area that was secluded, instead of being surrounded by homes. But no one has the sense, just like when they took down that landmark farmhouse on Herricks Road and Jericho Turnpike...It was a classic Furniture store and then turned into a bank...No charm, no taste...Manhasset people have taste and make an effort to keep landmark buildings for charm...A shame when you lose character to a place...
Susie Mitchell

Belmar, NJ

#3 May 2, 2007
I agree, "Abilities" deserves to be in an area that isn't a suburban town. The Albertson train station has leases open right now, but it would take a whole re-construction of that area and it would be wonderful there. Searingtown is charming and a post office on that corner would be amazing! Solves alot of problems. Maybe the town should buy Abilities space so that they can put the post office in that spot. Plus Abilities can find a space where they can expand. They are trying to buy homes in that area, so that they can expand and its pissing off the people in that town. Its a neighborhood, and is turned into a very heavy bussing traffic area. A postal service would bring traffic, but not as much as the post office.
deb

Neptune, NJ

#4 Jun 19, 2007
Whoa. Ms. Mitchell and Ms. Farrell. Please do not lose sight of one very important factor here. You are putting the cart after the horse. Abilities and later NCDS was started by Mr. Henry Viscardi in 1952 to employ disabled WW II vets. He also started the Viscardi School among other ventures. The physical plant of Human Resources, HVS etc. was there long before the traffic boon and the good will, dignity, and inspiration this center has provided is legendary. Do yourself a favor and go to the Shelter Rock Library and Read any book written by Dr. Henry Viscardi, Jr. and then think again about moving this gem of Albertson.
dancefit

Dumont, NJ

#5 Jul 3, 2007
That is a school just like the other schools in the area. Why would you want to treat those poor children and adults a chance to learn. It has been there forever and never bothered anyone. If they moved they would propably put stores there. They would find a way. Would you love a supermarket. Or low income housing? I wouldn't mind but something tells me you would.
Mike

Manasquan, NJ

#6 Aug 26, 2007
NIMBY. So typical of some of my neighbors. So condescendingly ignorant too. People with disabilities have every right to a good quality of life and "Abilities" has helped to provide many people the support, care and attention they deserve. It's deplorable that some of you choose to voice your little inconveniences as if it trumps the situations others go through. What the heck is wrong with some of you?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Albertson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Waldbaums on Long Beach Road (Jan '16) Wed Julia Waldbaum 11
Review: iLoveKickboxing - Franklin Square (Jun '15) Tue Denise Artale 42
News In the 1930s, LI family raised pet chimp (Feb '09) Tue JackieGP 9
News Imagination, motivation helps interns gain edge - (Dec '08) Feb 18 Trustco 25
Review: I Love Kickboxing - Bayside (Dec '13) Feb 18 Go Blue Forever 61
News Former hockey star headed to prison (Apr '08) Feb 15 Gooch 73
News New Rochelle Teenager Found Guilty Of Murdering... Feb 15 333stenbrian 1

Albertson Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Albertson Mortgages