Nottoway Schools start before Labor D...

Nottoway Schools start before Labor Day... Why?

Posted in the Alberta Forum

FED UP

Auburn, PA

#1 Jul 19, 2014
Does anybody know why Nottoway has to start school before Labor Day? The Superintendent Dr. Grounard has been quoted in the Blackstone Courier Record as saying we miss too much time for inclement weather. He was quoted in the Blackstone Courier Record once as stating we need the maximun instruction time before the SOLs. Which is it? Yes we do miss alot of time for weather. The school also closes for a heavy frost prediction to ensure they meet the required number of days to continue to get the exception from the state. Dr. Grounard seemingly bragged last year that they had missed enough days that they were able to start the year early until 2021. The SOL tests are in May. Does two weeks in August improve our scores in May by that much? Then why are we marginally accredited? We are meeting the standard by using a rolling 3 year average to meet the numbers. We also didn't make up any snow days last year like Lunenburg did. We got all of our scheduled days off plus teacher workday/admin days. The Superintendant stated in the paper that the days would be added onto the end of the school year. If you have children in Nottoway you know that there is no school after the SOLs. They watch movies. There was one day where the honor society went to Farmville to watch Malificient. The school still had two field days. That's 3 days shot right there after the SOLs. What happened to "we need the maximum amount of instruction days before the SOLs." How do the Seniors get to graduated 3 weeks before the end of school? If they have met the requirements for graduation by attending the state required number of hours of instruction then so has all the other kids in the school system. Nottoway doesn't get out any earlier than any other school district. I know people from Williamsburg and they don't start school until after labor day. They have quite a bit more population density than we do and they manage to make it out of school on time. I know Southside Virginia doesn't have worse weather than Williamsburg.
bulk

Charlottesville, VA

#2 Dec 5, 2014
Why not?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alberta Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Single young and no dirty texting Fri Khyrabug 1
News Harper's fight for Alberta betrays a worried Co... Aug 15 Nigel Wright - Ex... 1
12 f looking to trade pics for girl pics Aug 14 Daniel 4
News Like father, like son: Kenney says Justin Trude... Aug 11 JUSTIN TRUDEAU ERA 1
Looking For Family Members For Adams Family (Jan '09) Aug 6 bulk 4
Why is the American media ignoring what the Eng... (Nov '13) Jul '15 aldooo1993 2
Who would win? Jun '15 bulk 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Alberta Mortgages