First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Walter S

AOL

#1 Aug 17, 2006
Am thinking of retiring from the big city and relocating to a small town. I see large old homes listed for sale in Uniontown at very attractive prices. Is Uniontown a good place to retire to?
still here

United States

#2 Aug 19, 2006
Walter, there are a lot of great old homes here. I have lived here for 23 years. The town is mostly quiet. The major drawback to living here is that the nearest hospital is 20 miles away in Demopolis. If it is something major the nearest critical care hospital is in Tuscaloosa which is at least 80 miles away. There is one major chain grocery store here, a bank, drugstore, Dollar General, AJ men's clothing store, several Mom and Pop convience stores and eating places (1 decent enought to eat inside the others are mainly for takeout) Uniontown is fairly queit. There are several churches around town. Checkout the town's website www.uniontownalabama.org .
un Known

Selma, AL

#3 Aug 24, 2006
Walter S wrote:
Am thinking of retiring from the big city and relocating to a small town. I see large old homes listed for sale in Uniontown at very attractive prices. Is Uniontown a good place to retire to?
I wouldn't make it my retiring home
danny _b

Linden, AL

#4 Nov 15, 2007
uniontown is the best i n alabama
j_th

Normal, AL

#5 Nov 30, 2007
I really wouldn't consider moving to Uniontown for retirement. Even though it has many good aspects, there are a lot of things going on in such a small town: killing, robbery. It's just not a great place to consider for retiring.
TEACHER_N_UNIONT OWN

Marion, AL

#6 Jan 16, 2008
Uniontown is quiet most of the time....things happen here just like everywhere else. I love it here.
Truth

Commerce, GA

#7 Jan 23, 2008
Uniontown,Al should be the last place on earth you should consider retiring.Uniontown is a welfare town with many of its residents receiving as many benefits as possible from social programs. Uniontown is located in Perry County.Perry county has 11,000 residents with 4500 of them receiving disability benefits.That should be an indication of the attitude of the residents.
Drugs and alcohol are major problems.Lying and theft are also prevalent. If there is any way to cheat someone out of something, it has been done in Uniontown.Another problem is earned income credit fraud.Since welfare recipients can't claim income or dependants, many people pay mothers to use their childrens social security numbers for tax purposes thereby receiving thousands of dollars in tax refunds fraudulently.
I could continue with many more negatives about Uniontown but will refrain. Hopefully this will be enough to discourage you.
My advice to anyone wanting to relocate or start a business is DON'T DO IT IN UNIONTOWN, Al.
The real truth

United States

#8 Feb 2, 2008
Uniontown is not the last place on earth you should consider retiring too. However, demopolis,al is a place that's flooded with high crime & drug infested places. Uniontown is very small but that's what makes our community special. It has been falsely reported that almost half of perry county's citizens receive disability benefits. In fact, the attitude of perry county residents is plain & simple..SURVIVAL!!! We survive the best way we know how. Maybe if people like fake a** "Truth" from dempolis,al will help rebuild the communities rather than continue to critize, we want have drugs & alcohol as a major problem. Anyway, I think drugs, alcohol, lying, and theft are all major problems facing the STATE OF ALABAMA not just Perry County. And maybe "Truth" did say something partially right. "if there is any way to cheat someone out of something," it has been done by "TRUTH" from demoplis,al. Cheating the public from the real truth about perry county...shame on you "Truth". Note: If Uniontown,al is such a "welfare town", why don't you help residents get the help they need so they want have to depend on the system. Most people who are on welfare aren't on it because they like it. People are trying to take care of their families the best damn way they know how after years of discrimination and malicious prosecution against our beautiful men, women, & children. A few ideas might be bringing more businesses, better education, and a better government body to govern the town is a start. You don't have to be a genius to figure this one out! One Love Perry County!!!
BAMMA

United States

#9 Feb 8, 2008
Ive moved here from Foley Al, which in my opinion is one of the best cites in our great state. My major problem here is the racism. And the lack of abundant jobs/careers I say to my fellow States men If you have intentions to move here wheather it be Uniontown,Demopolis or Faunsdale Al for progessing yourself or retireing bad idea. Most of these towns/cities were built in the early 1800's and this is all that the locals have done with the place pretty sad.All I can say is that Im moveing back to Baldwin county a place to retire and make money oh yea and its has something called structure.
Truth

United States

#10 Feb 13, 2008
The real truth wrote:
Uniontown is not the last place on earth you should consider retiring too. However, demopolis,al is a place that's flooded with high crime & drug infested places. Uniontown is very small but that's what makes our community special. It has been falsely reported that almost half of perry county's citizens receive disability benefits. In fact, the attitude of perry county residents is plain & simple..SURVIVAL!!! We survive the best way we know how. Maybe if people like fake a** "Truth" from dempolis,al will help rebuild the communities rather than continue to critize, we want have drugs & alcohol as a major problem. Anyway, I think drugs, alcohol, lying, and theft are all major problems facing the STATE OF ALABAMA not just Perry County. And maybe "Truth" did say something partially right. "if there is any way to cheat someone out of something," it has been done by "TRUTH" from demoplis,al. Cheating the public from the real truth about perry county...shame on you "Truth". Note: If Uniontown,al is such a "welfare town", why don't you help residents get the help they need so they want have to depend on the system. Most people who are on welfare aren't on it because they like it. People are trying to take care of their families the best damn way they know how after years of discrimination and malicious prosecution against our beautiful men, women, & children. A few ideas might be bringing more businesses, better education, and a better government body to govern the town is a start. You don't have to be a genius to figure this one out! One Love Perry County!!!
Thanks for proving your ignorance. I have alot of experience with Uniontown residents.I have heard unbelievable conversations between Uniontown residents.Conversations included such things as " I wish I could have a light stroke or something so I can get on disability. You know nothing serious just enough to get a check."Also," I wish I knew a doctor that would help me get a check" According to government statistics, the closest educated assesment of the cost to sustaining Uniontown and Perry county residents to taxpayers through social programs is approximately 22 MILLION DOLLARS PER MONTH!!!According to one source, there is one household in Uniontown that receives eight SSI checks per month. If Uniontown and Perry county aren't welfare entities I don't know what one is.
The reasons are simple why no industries will ever come to Uniontown.They are the peoples attitudes, work ethics,corruption, drugs etc...
Uniontown is the best it will ever be now.
Uniontown will always be a burden to taxpayers. We are in the 21st. century- the information and technology age and MANY Uniontown residents can't read or write & don't want to as long as our government continues to take from the working people of this country and gives it to under-achievers such as those in Perry county.
Truth

United States

#11 Feb 13, 2008
This is disgusting, but I will write it to show another reason Uniontown, Al. is no place to reside. Several years ago when there was a big drug bust in Uniontown,the biggest drug dealers were notorious for their depravity. It was common knowledge that drug dealers would make crack-heads do dispicable acts before selling them dope.
The drug dealers would video each other deficating into a crack-heads mouth while laying on the ground on their back and also would video woman having sex with dogs and horses before selling them drugs.
These are a few more truths about Uniontown, Al.
Truth

United States

#12 Feb 13, 2008
The real truth wrote:
You probably live in Uniontown, Al.by your comments. Let's face the truth. You can't help someone until they admit they have a problem. The only route out of poverty is to educate yourself or acquire a skill so that you can demand more for your services.Many Uniontown residents are third and fourth generation welfare recipients. How do you explain that? The answer is a simple one. Uniontown residents don't care about their quality of life, what they wear, what kind of house they live in, or the car they drive as long as they can receive a check and other social program benefits and not have to get their sorry a___ s out of bed to go to a job every morning.

Another sad truth about many Uniontown, Al. residents regardless of how hard it is for you to swallow is that quite simply they don't have the intelligence to improve themselves and their lives. All one has to do to prove this is walk down mainstreet Uniontown, Al. and witness the stupidity of these people and many of them that have Neanderthal features.
Also, go into Piggly Wiggly on the first of the month. You can clearly determine the welfare and foodstamp recipients from the working people by watching their shopping habits. The welfare mother and children will have what I call a "grocery train" pushing and pulling two, three, or sometimes four grocery carts filled to overflowing while the working person will have usually a fraction of what the welfare recipient purchases because after all, the welfare recipient is spending what the government has taken from the working person.
Your logic is flawed when you ask why people such as myself don't help places such as Uniontown,Al. I have tried to help many young blacks over the years but have in the end regretted my attempt because every time I have tried to give a young black man a chance, I get ripped off. It is very discouring when you try to help someone and you are repeatedly decieved.
Truth

United States

#13 Feb 13, 2008
Pertaining to my previous posting,I would like to provide you with some more interesting information.
Did you know that if you are the victim of a crime, there is an 85% chance that it was commited by a young black male?
Did you know that of welfare & other social program recipients, blacks have the highest percentage of any other ethnic group receiving benefits?
You ask why no body will give blacks a chance and the answer is quite obvious: when you give a black an opportunity, it is quite probable that he or she will probably steal from you and quite possibly bankrupt you without the least bit of remorse for doing it.
Wake-up blacks. Change your lifestyle, educate yourselves,be honest, quit expecting handouts, quit thinking someone owes you something,improve your morality and you will eventually improve your races success.
If anyone owes someone anything it is blacks owing whites.Although slavery was a terrible thing,had your ancestors not been brought here, you would be living in a primitive culture that has existed since ancient times but the majority of that culture still lives a primitive lifestyle.
What does that tell any reasonable person about the black races potential?
Also, the white slavetraders were only businessmen engaging in a profitable albeit heinous enterprise. If you were educated in the true history of slavery, you would know that the people the slavetraders brought to America were already caught, caged and waiting for them when they arrived. The practice of slave-trading is still alive and well in Africa with tribes invading other tribes,taking prisoners, and selling them into slavery. Don't blame the whites. Your races presence in America has cost our society TRILLIONS of dollare in crime, disease and social programs.
Also, lose the black culture thing. It doesn't work in America.
Truth

Commerce, GA

#14 Feb 13, 2008
The real truth wrote:
I had a good laugh reading your posting. One sentence asked why not help build a better community. Because as taxpayers were are already being squeezed to the point that we find it hard to provide for our own families. And have you ever thought about blacks helping themselves for a change? Your response is typical of one looking for a hand-out.
Uniontown, Al also loves grants. We read quite frequently in the paper about grants being given to Uniontown. Give us taxpayers a break. EARN something for a change.
Also, have you ever noticed how often the government housing projects have to be renovated?
Usually every 5-7 yrs. That shows how appreciative the people that live in them are. They tear them up in short order because getting everything in their life for nothing, they don't know the value of anything.
If a taxpayer needs a new refrigerator for instance,we must save for it or make financial arrangements before we get it. The welfare and section 8 folks only have to make a phone call
to get one no money needed.Our government takes the money from us and gives it to them.
I am always amazed at our governments stupidity.
For example, take a section 8 resident. They live in a house at no cost, Some even get paid to live in them. They have heat and air conditioning they don't earn,utilities they don't pay for, have carpet they don't pay for, have furniture they don't pay for,appliances they don't pay for,
plenty of food they don't pay for,drink beer and smoke cigarettes they didn't earn,wear clothes they don't earn, have medical benefits they didn't earn and the gov. even pays someone to mow the grass around their welfare universe so they don't even have to do that.
We need to eliminate these wasteful programs. A good definition of welfare is:A program in which the U.S. government pays fools to raise more fools.
bama

Tampa, FL

#15 Feb 17, 2008
who ever wrote all that about uniontown people is very ill. Not only uniontown have a bad reputation of welfare, all of the surroundings areas Demopolis,Greensboro,Marion,an d Selma all have the same problems with welfare,foodstamps and every thing else it just a bama thing.
Truth

Commerce, GA

#16 Feb 17, 2008
bama wrote:
who ever wrote all that about uniontown people is very ill. Not only uniontown have a bad reputation of welfare, all of the surroundings areas Demopolis,Greensboro,Marion,an d Selma all have the same problems with welfare,foodstamps and every thing else it just a bama thing.
It is obvious to see that you are ignorant as evidenced by your spelling and grammer.It is also obvious that the black race is ill-equipped mentally to meet the challenges of the 21st. century.It is my and a rapidly growing number of Americans opinion, that if we must support those that are too stupid or too sorry to take care of themselves,that they shouldn't be allowed to reproduce. Why should we be burdened by an obviously inferior race?
Truth

Commerce, GA

#17 Feb 17, 2008
bama wrote:
There is nothing "ill" about telling the truth. I know it is hard for you to accept the fact that you are a member of the least intelligent race on earth. Sorry.
diane

Milwaukee, WI

#18 Feb 21, 2008
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
There is nothing "ill" about telling the truth. I know it is hard for you to accept the fact that you are a member of the least intelligent race on earth. Sorry.
I'm from the north and to hear you talk, none of you are intellegent from my stand point. Not one of you can talk about any one or another race. You all sound pretty dam supid.
TRUTH

Commerce, GA

#20 Mar 4, 2008
diane wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm from the north and to hear you talk, none of you are intellegent from my stand point. Not one of you can talk about any one or another race. You all sound pretty dam supid.
You misspelled dam. In the context in which you used it, it should be spelled damn.
Thanks.
MadisonAlabama

United States

#21 Mar 25, 2008
Can we all just come together to try and improve the situation instead of insulting each other. The poor will be among us until the day we die. I understand some of your frustrations about African Americans who reside in these areas, but there are also some hardworking people in these areas who do not depend on the system. Where I am employed, I see people who minipulate the system every day (Black and White) but it is not my duty to judge them and to look down on them. It is my duty to serve the public. I am not a citizen of Uniontown, but I have lived in the Perry County area. To view some of the comments made by intelligent people,is very discouraging. I am sure that the guy who was inquiring about Uniontown, Alabama did not expect those type of comments.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alberta Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Sep 17 Annonymous 85
AL Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Alabama i... (Oct '10) Sep 16 Centrist 242
Half-ton alligator caught in Alabama sets world... Aug 30 wichita-rick 3
Hunters snag 1K-pound alligator, an Alabama record Aug 22 tucsonaz 1
AL Who do you support for Governor in Alabama in 2... (Oct '10) Jun '14 Rep 704
AL Recent tornado outbreak in South may set new re... (Apr '11) Jun '14 ThomasA 416
International Paper ranks among Fortune's 'Amer... (Mar '13) Apr '14 Quinton 4
•••
•••
•••

Alberta Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Alberta People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Alberta News, Events & Info