Unborn baby dies after mom swerves to...

Unborn baby dies after mom swerves to avoid deer

There are 60 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Nov 12, 2009, titled Unborn baby dies after mom swerves to avoid deer. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

A Sauk Centre woman is grieving after an accident caused by a deer on an interstate in central Minnesota caused her to lose her unborn child in her eighth month of pregnancy.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Natalia

Plainview, MN

#65 Nov 13, 2009
Ok Atheist.
Got anything else intelligent to say? No, you're just as stupid as your comment.
Vort wrote:
Umm, it was not a baby that died, it was a fetus. I guess fate wanted this to happen...oh, sorry, I mean God wanted this to happen.
bad situation

Brentwood, CA

#66 Nov 13, 2009
sounds like a no win situation. Poor lady and little unborn kid. May they have peace.
MN Observer

United States

#67 Nov 13, 2009
Jane wrote:
I think it's a very sad thing to write an article about. I hope she was asked if it was OK first to put her traumatic situation in print for everyone to read.
Yes, it's a sad thing to write about, not to mention read about. It's important that this story is published so that other people will possibly remember the story and not swerve their car to miss a collision with a deer if they face similar circumstances. People, hit the deer, it's less damaging than the alternatives, in so many ways. My prayers go to this young lady and her family.
tubaman

Mankato, MN

#69 Nov 13, 2009
but the good news is the dolphin at the zoo is going to have a baby -- that makes everything alright, doesn't it? I don't think the baby dolphin will get killed in a traffic accident at least....

That the pile of crap press would even put either of these stories on their pathetic web page just goes to show how desperate they are to sell their little ads.

I hope they go out of business.
Cedric

Saint Paul, MN

#70 Nov 13, 2009
A friend's wife swerved to mis a dog, totaled the BMW and she ended up in intensive care for a month..

I'd say apply the brakes and hit the deer/dog.

Swerving into a ditch can result in undesirable outcomes.
Brandi

Lakeville, MN

#71 Nov 13, 2009
I think it's horrible how some of you people are commenting such nasty things. This young lady lost her child!! ITS NOT A FETUS! It is a baby!! Given birth at 8 months it would survive. This isn't a debate about abortion. God bless your family sweety on this horrible time and may your baby rest in peace! What a sad sad story. And for all you people yelling about her swerving, the damage is done .. and a lot of people swerve, its a reaction!!!!!!
get real

Saint Paul, MN

#72 Nov 13, 2009
My heart goes out to the woman and her family. What a horrible loss to endure.

To all you morons saying she should have hit the deer dead on, I know someone who did that and the deer went right through the windshield very seriously injuring the driver. We're talking years of painful surgeries and recovery. Are you really sure that's a good idea??? Truth is you're damned if you do, damned if you don't.
get real

Saint Paul, MN

#73 Nov 13, 2009
Vort wrote:
Umm, it was not a baby that died, it was a fetus. I guess fate wanted this to happen...oh, sorry, I mean God wanted this to happen.
If you met this woman face to face would you tell her what you think? I doubt it. I really feel sorry for people like you. I'll say a prayer for you. Always remember, we are all God's children and He hurts when people like you mock him.
rational person

Saint Martin, MN

#74 Nov 14, 2009
Fed up with bailing out wrote:
I don't think I have EVER in my life saw headlines announcing the death of an unborn baby.
....stay tuned...if this continues the zygote will get a headstone and ...... I am truly sorry for the loss of your pregnancy and offended by the editors title of "unborn baby".
ICEManCometh

United States

#76 Nov 14, 2009
I feel horrible for this young lady, and hope she can grieve the loss properly and move on to a wonderful, full life.

From a traffic perspective, NEVER make swerving part of deer avoidance at high speeds! Brakes only!! Very slight adjustment on the steering wheel can be OK, but the main focus should be BRAKES to reduce impact force. Full swerves at high speed will roll almost anything, including her low-profile sports car. If that thing rolled, any truck or SUV doing what she did would STILL BE ROLLING!

God's blessings to this young lady now and in the future!
ICEManCometh

United States

#77 Nov 14, 2009
On the political side, the P.P. should have headlined this "Pregnancy lost in deer accident." They did take a political side when they titled it "Unborn baby...", so don't kid yourselves about that. They ascribed life where they knew there'd be a variety of opinions.

As for me, if you can't carry a baby in your tummy, you should stay out of this debate. And if you don't medically or spiritually treat women, you should also stay out of this debate. Women, their docs, and their clergy are the only ones with dogs in this hunt, as far as I see it.

And overpopulation is a bigger threat than anything else we face, so you do the math.

Since: Aug 09

Saint Paul, MN

#78 Nov 16, 2009
The Golf Guy wrote:
<quoted text> It's a natural reaction, when a deer jumps in front of your car, to try to miss it. Has it ever happened to you? Those who say never swerve, have never had a deer run out in front of your car.
I've hit 2, and had more than that get out of the way in time. Being a disciplined driver isn't that hard.
The Golf Guy

Apopka, FL

#80 Nov 16, 2009
Incredible70 wrote:
<quoted text>
I've hit 2, and had more than that get out of the way in time. Being a disciplined driver isn't that hard.
B as in B, S as in S.
K Bar

Minneapolis, MN

#81 Nov 16, 2009
ICEManCometh wrote:
On the political side, the P.P. should have headlined this "Pregnancy lost in deer accident." They did take a political side when they titled it "Unborn baby...", so don't kid yourselves about that. They ascribed life where they knew there'd be a variety of opinions.
As for me, if you can't carry a baby in your tummy, you should stay out of this debate. And if you don't medically or spiritually treat women, you should also stay out of this debate. Women, their docs, and their clergy are the only ones with dogs in this hunt, as far as I see it.
And overpopulation is a bigger threat than anything else we face, so you do the math.
Tummy? Since YOU don't know where babies come from, YOU should stay out of it!
Jean

Long Lake, MN

#82 Nov 16, 2009
You are right it is a reaction to swerve, but if you practice stopping instead of swerving. I mean actually press the brakes on EMPTY roads where no other cars are around. Get in the habit of going for the brakes instead of swerving you can train yourself to go for the brakes INSTEAD of swerving.

It takes practice to change your reaction but you can do it.

Remember there are numerous wrecks that occur when people swerve to mis stuff on the road.

Of course at night it's best to develop and use techniques to see stuff on the road with enought time to stop and not hit it.

I run with high beams on as much as possible.

I always look for shadows on the road between my car and tail and headlights ahead of my car.

If anything is suspicious I get off the gas and get ready to apply brakes and much as needed. Cars will stop very quickly on dry pavement and you need not fearing a quick stop. Todays cars with disk brakes are very effective at stopping quickly and in a straight line. Don't be afraid of useing your brakes to their fullest capacity. If your car has ABS even in wet or icy conditions cars will stop much better than the older cars.

Take your car to isolated roads or a parking lot and exercise it so you know what it will do.

If you ever get stuck you can improve traction with an old trick. Apply your brakes hard and press the gas at the same time. Then let off your brakes very slowly and this will force both tires on the power axle to turn and if you do it right your traction will double. Try it in deep snow you will be amazed. Tow truck drivers hate this trick because it allows people to drive out of a lot of stuck situations.

Take care!

==========
Brandi wrote:
I think it's horrible how some of you people are commenting such nasty things. This young lady lost her child!! ITS NOT A FETUS! It is a baby!! Given birth at 8 months it would survive. This isn't a debate about abortion. God bless your family sweety on this horrible time and may your baby rest in peace! What a sad sad story. And for all you people yelling about her swerving, the damage is done .. and a lot of people swerve, its a reaction!!!!!!
P T Bull

Minneapolis, MN

#83 Nov 16, 2009
ICEManCometh wrote:

And if you thought someone died and made you king of the internet, you should stay out of the debate... ;)
wingmaster

Bryant, WI

#84 Nov 17, 2009
The Golf Guy wrote:
<quoted text> B as in B, S as in S.
That's because your to old to drive to understand that.
The Golf Guy

Apopka, FL

#85 Nov 17, 2009
Jean wrote:
You are right it is a reaction to swerve, but if you practice stopping instead of swerving. I mean actually press the brakes on EMPTY roads where no other cars are around. Get in the habit of going for the brakes instead of swerving you can train yourself to go for the brakes INSTEAD of swerving.
It takes practice to change your reaction but you can do it.
Remember there are numerous wrecks that occur when people swerve to mis stuff on the road.
Of course at night it's best to develop and use techniques to see stuff on the road with enought time to stop and not hit it.
I run with high beams on as much as possible.
I always look for shadows on the road between my car and tail and headlights ahead of my car.
If anything is suspicious I get off the gas and get ready to apply brakes and much as needed. Cars will stop very quickly on dry pavement and you need not fearing a quick stop. Todays cars with disk brakes are very effective at stopping quickly and in a straight line. Don't be afraid of useing your brakes to their fullest capacity. If your car has ABS even in wet or icy conditions cars will stop much better than the older cars.
Take your car to isolated roads or a parking lot and exercise it so you know what it will do.
If you ever get stuck you can improve traction with an old trick. Apply your brakes hard and press the gas at the same time. Then let off your brakes very slowly and this will force both tires on the power axle to turn and if you do it right your traction will double. Try it in deep snow you will be amazed. Tow truck drivers hate this trick because it allows people to drive out of a lot of stuck situations.
Take care!
==========
<quoted text>
Aren't you just a wealth of useless knowledge.
Jean

Delano, MN

#86 Nov 17, 2009
Worthless knowledge is better than completely worthless like you!

==========
The Golf Guy wrote:
<quoted text> Aren't you just a wealth of useless knowledge.
political lanuage expert

Saint Martin, MN

#87 Nov 27, 2009
keep your head down if you are going to admit to being a rational person in a zealots paradise!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Albany Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Minnesota ... (Oct '10) Jun '15 Richard Vickerman 17
News St. Anthony, Minnesota to Pay $200,000 to Settl... (Dec '14) Dec '14 Sunshine 2
Review: Tumbleweed Tavern (Jan '14) Aug '14 anonymous 4
News With one horse and one ride, one girl hopes to ... (Jan '09) Aug '14 Whoaaaaaaaa 17
News $50K reward offered in case of missing Falcon H... (Feb '10) Feb '14 ksj 39
Predator Judges, Police, Lawyers and Government... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Debra Matheny 1
Review: Country Limousine Inc (Apr '13) Apr '13 Jason W 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Albany Mortgages