Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments (Page 4,772)

Showing posts 95,421 - 95,440 of128,469
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>Ton of information about the idea of "unpaid ministry":

http://exmormon.org/d6/drupal/Mormon-Church-M...

Turns out this is not so much the case in all cases. One can have no official salary and still earn a metric ton of financial benefits.
I will read this later when I have a minute.
I personally know several general authorities and they do not receive a salary. I do know in several cases things are provided for some of them. I think they call it stipends. That isn't the same as a salary, that is more like when Jesus told the apostles that clothing and food would be provided for them.
I'll answer back on this later. It's long. Lunch is almost over.
TrutIhs

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
I never said that all individuals in stupid groups are stupid - some are just demented and others appear to say and do stupid things then laugh all the way to the bank.
Mmmm....this apple is good... did you say something... anything of relevence?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>Sure. But your post suggested that not believing in miracles would mean you don't get to have a miracle. But since there is *no evidence* that intercessory prayer does anything at all I see no reason for this.

Look, people die every day. Since most people are religious that means people like you, who pray to God, die every day. In fact, statistically, praying people die just as frequently as atheists.

If prayer has not statistical effect and is only backed up by personal testimonies how can you possibly believe in it? Statistics remove bias to the greatest degree possible. And when you rack up more and more studies those statistics tell a tale that is verified by hard facts. Testimonies are not reliable.

Here's a test. Pray to God that you will fly. Then go outside and see if you can fly.

If that's too extreme try something else.

Pray to God that you find a five dollar bill today just lying someplace. Then see if you do.

You almost certainly won't. But try it again tomorrow, and the next day, and the day after that. Keep doing it until you DO find one. Then compare the time it took for the event to happen to the number of times you prayed for it. Tell me if you think it is a miracle.

Why can't reality just be reality? Why do we need to add a layer of magic to make it palatable?
How can you say there is no evidence? Because of a study? Please don't limit yourself to studies. God doesn't do parlor tricks.

There has to be a righteous purpose for what is asked and it must be the will of God that it be done.

Of course miracles can happen for people that do not believe. Sometimes this makes people reflect on their beliefs. That's what my post was getting at. When you find yourself in a hopeless situation, would you open the door to the chance that God is real? And with a tiny bit of faith would you chance it and pray to a God that might hear you, or would you give up?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text>........Lets be truthful, you're an idiot and it's obvious. Your holyhatebible should be no where near public schools........respect a religie.......not gonna happen........

Remember......
Reruns now? That show wasn't good the first time. Try new episodes.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

Satanic Priest wrote:
I keep hearing the terms "christian values" and christian "family values"
How about a list of those values? Not a paragraph telling me bible verses mean this or that but a list
etc..........
Look up the Proclamation of the Family from the LDS church. That's a good start

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
CM wrote:
1) in a pigs eye.
2) A humanitarian with a phd in economics successful business and loving family has far less chance of being elected than a raging alcoholic wife beater who goes to church every sunday
do whut wrote, "<quoted text>
You lost me on that one. Not sure how it was relevant.
Minnesota, eh?"

In 2), I meant to write: "An atheist humanitarian..."
How could you not understand? Within the LDS organization there is most assuredly a pecking order. With every vote YOU pass judgement on candidates' "worthinesses". Society as a whole gauges people's "worthiness" by buying products, by lip service, by awards and by paychecks - and society is often DEAD WRONG.
Claiming that someday, somewhere, somehow a deity that no living human has ever seen, heard, touched, smelled or otherwise detected except emotionally is the arbiter of a man's value is sophmoric. Why are religies so presumptuous as to define his parameters, assign his roles and to schedule his tasks?

MN? WI? I neither confirm nor deny. It must have been God's Will that I not log into my account on my cellphone - who am I to argue?
I don't know what in a pigs eye means. Sorry.

I don't judge worthiness. With candidates, I try to vote. For those that more closely match my opinions. Most all cases we have to settle. I'm not really a fan of any politician.

And again, no "pecking order", just callings. Those callings come with responsibilities. For example, I'm the patriarch of my own home. I can receive revelation from God regarding the welfare of my family, but not someone else's. a bishop receives revelation for the local church, the prophet for the entire church. But that doesn't mean that the bishop couldn't be called to Primary piano player next week. It just means he has different responsibilities at that time. It doesn't mean he's better than someone else, more worthy, etc.
GWB

Rancho Cordova, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

curious wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know why anyone would dread God.
Scriptures says ,in reference to God,If you diligently seek me,you will find me..I see noreason to dread God based on that statement.
Scriptue also says,,in reference to God" It is not my will,that any should perish
Jesus said,He who comes to me,I will in no wise cast out.
He also said,Come to me,ye,that are heavily burdened and I will give you resr.
I do not see anything within those statements,that would cause anyone to dread God
You stated"If atheists dreaded God then they would become wise, so the bible says." The bilble does not say that
I assume that you are referring to Proverbs 9; Fear of the Lord is the begining of wisdom.
let me give you an example as to what I understand that to mean.
When I was a child my parents,based on their wisdom,gave me guidelines in order to differentiate Right from Wrong,because they wanted what was best for me.
They informed me that,if I violated those guidelines,that would cause them to be displeased with me and ,depending on my transgression,I would receive a fitting punishment.
They did not punish me because they hated me,they punished me because they wanted what was best for me.Based on this process,I learned to differentiate right from wrong,thereby,making me wiser.
So,I feared my parents,because if I violated their guidelines,I would receive a fitting punishment and cause them to be displeased with my behaviour.
In effect,I came to understand and acknowledge that my parents were more knowledgeable,or wiser than me and that I should listen and learn from them.That process made me WISER
So your statement"If atheists dreaded God then they would become wise, so the bible says" is contradictory,If Atheists dreaded God,that would mean they believed God Existed, that they accepted he was wiser and was concerned about their wellbeing and what was best for them.
So,the way your statement is worded,is illogical and a logical answer to that question,can not be provided.
Maybe that is not what you meant in your atatement,but that is how I understood it to mean.
That's interesting take on what you said. I recall a Jehovah's Witness who came to my door one day said the same almost exact thing that you wrote down. Have you studied with Jehovah's Witnesses? Your replies are similar to some I have talk to.

Anyway you said that God does not want you to dread him.

Synonyms
verb. fear - be afraid
noun. fear - fright
adjective. frightful

Let us look at the scriptures and see if what it says.

Matt 10:28

Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

James 2:19
You say you have faith, for you believe that there is one God. Good for you! Even the demons believe this, and they tremble in terror.

Yes, being afraid or fearful of God does have scriptural support, James and Matthew wrote that down emphatically.

Looking at what you had said, it would only mean to not displease him does not put the cheese on the cracker. Rather you are trying to mitigate what the bible says about God ability to bring terror upon you for sinning.

I do under stand your example. It does not reach the level of what the writers are trying to say in the bible.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe it's because the right doesn't propose or support anything that will curb firearm proliferation or actively promote gun safety?
Or maybe it's just selective memory. As I recall, Isn't James Brady a Republican? After Columbine the right used dead children to suppress video games and few opposed it. Too bad they didn't have the balls or brains to go after straw man gun sales.
The Right does indeed support laws that curb firearm proliferation or actively promote gun safety... The Right supports the Arrest and Prosecution of any Criminal or Mental patient that Lies on purchase documentation.... The Right supports Arrest and Prosecution of Anyone criminally using a firearm... The Right supports Shooting anyone that tries to break into your home.... The Right supports shooting and killing anyone that uses a firearm in the commission of a crime... The Right supports Arrest and Prosecution of those in government that send 1000's of guns illegally across the boarders to drug cartels..... And the Right supports the Enforcement of the 1000's of reasonable laws already on the books before passing more Feel Good laws that do Nothing to stop criminals from killing people....

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

TrutIhs wrote:
<quoted text>
Mmmm....this apple is good... did you say something... anything of relevence?
Aside from stupid people being in cults? No, nothing else that is relevant to your situation. Have another apple. You need the fiber for your posts.
natasha

Versailles, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

The world needs help

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know what in a pigs eye means. Sorry.
I don't judge worthiness. With candidates, I try to vote. For those that more closely match my opinions. Most all cases we have to settle. I'm not really a fan of any politician.
And again, no "pecking order", just callings. Those callings come with responsibilities. For example, I'm the patriarch of my own home. I can receive revelation from God regarding the welfare of my family, but not someone else's. a bishop receives revelation for the local church, the prophet for the entire church. But that doesn't mean that the bishop couldn't be called to Primary piano player next week. It just means he has different responsibilities at that time. It doesn't mean he's better than someone else, more worthy, etc.
"In a pig's eye" is a colloquialism for strongly disagree.
If you deny that any and every social group has a pecking order, we can call this discussion quits, as it has run into the brick wall of delusion.
OBVIOUSLY.

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
The Right does indeed support laws that curb firearm proliferation or actively promote gun safety... The Right supports the Arrest and Prosecution of any Criminal or Mental patient that Lies on purchase documentation.... The Right supports Arrest and Prosecution of Anyone criminally using a firearm... The Right supports Shooting anyone that tries to break into your home.... The Right supports shooting and killing anyone that uses a firearm in the commission of a crime... The Right supports Arrest and Prosecution of those in government that send 1000's of guns illegally across the boarders to drug cartels..... And the Right supports the Enforcement of the 1000's of reasonable laws already on the books before passing more Feel Good laws that do Nothing to stop criminals from killing people....
In a pig's eye.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
In a pig's eye.
You have the right to strongly disagree even though all I stated have stated has been stated by the right for decades... Is part of the NRA's foundation statements and has been the basis of those that support the Legal ability for Law Abide citizens to have guns for as long as I can remember...

“There is no god”

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>I'm glad I don't read S.P.'s bible.
King James 1611.
What bible do you read?
Maybe you should give the Satonicon a try

“There is no god”

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Look up the Proclamation of the Family from the LDS church. That's a good start
Nope, I want to read it from one of you guys. I prefer to hear it from curious or YAA as I like comedy

“I'll think about it.”

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure you either have, or will be, at a point in your life where a miracle would be welcomed. Think then about how you were against the possibility of one.
Silly man, I have experienced many serendipitous conincidences in my life.

The latest one, a couple of years ago, was when a deadly tornado missed my house by 100 yards. Neighbors lost trees and had house damage. Some, though not in my immediate area, died.
I didn't even lose a wind chime.

No gods necessary.

What you call a "miracle" I simply call random chance.

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
You have the right to strongly disagree even though all I stated have stated has been stated by the right for decades... Is part of the NRA's foundation statements and has been the basis of those that support the Legal ability for Law Abide citizens to have guns for as long as I can remember...
Yada yada. Believing a lie does not make it a truth - no matter how many years it's been fed you.
Why do three quarters of NRA members disagree with the statements of NRA's leadership? Because the NRA leadership is in bed with the manufacturers and retailers. In the last couple of decades they've become nothing but fear mongering shills.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Everyone has their faults, even prophets. Same with Jonah. He didn't like Ninevites. You could say he was predjudice against them. God taught him a lesson that he never really did swallow.
One guy got mad at Smith for not spelling his name right in a revelation for his mission call and left the church. Did his bad spelling make him less of a prophet?
Brigham's perceived racism to me seems unacceptable, but at that time it probably sounded pretty normal in America. Sad but true. Maybe that's why no one questioned it then. But since then, every prophet has proclaimed that this tendency was not inspired. Not was it original. Many Christian pastors then thought black skin was the curse of Cain. Maybe this made a lot of sense to him so he ran with it and expounded on it.
We are encouraged to pray about the things our prophet and apostles tell us. We need to get our own confirmation from the Holy Ghost of its truth.
Well of course you know persons of color were not allowed in the priesthood until the seventies, so your claim of all the prophets condemning Brigham's racism seems to fail. Clearly no prophet got a memo from god to put a full stop to Brigham's racist policies untill relatively recently.

So what good is it to have a prophet that fails to get the true picture of what god wants? Seems kind of pointless and condusive to false beliefs, which it clearly lead to.

The policy made me realize the church was not the true church as claimed. Would a god that really wanted the Church of Jesus Christ of latter day saints to be the one true church allow for a prophet to make false policies so large that it would lead to followers to leave the church? Seems like a giant red flag. Seems you give these red flags a pass.

So just how can one determine a true church if they give all failures a pass?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Worthiness is a matter between man and God. We do not compare to each other. That's God's job to judge.
So is god judging who is in the Mormon priesthood? You said those that are worthy, your words, not mine. So now you divert? Is god judging who is a prophet? This is how I judge claims of prophets, if the prophet says something that is clearly immoral, then he is not gods spokeperson, period.
How do you judge who is a prophet? Do you think Muhummad was one of gods prophets? If not, then please tell me why?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Everyone has their faults, even prophets. Same with Jonah. He didn't like Ninevites. You could say he was predjudice against them. God taught him a lesson that he never really did swallow.
One guy got mad at Smith for not spelling his name right in a revelation for his mission call and left the church. Did his bad spelling make him less of a prophet?
Brigham's perceived racism to me seems unacceptable, but at that time it probably sounded pretty normal in America. Sad but true. Maybe that's why no one questioned it then. But since then, every prophet has proclaimed that this tendency was not inspired. Not was it original. Many Christian pastors then thought black skin was the curse of Cain. Maybe this made a lot of sense to him so he ran with it and expounded on it.
We are encouraged to pray about the things our prophet and apostles tell us. We need to get our own confirmation from the Holy Ghost of its truth.
Their is a massive difference between a mistake like a spelling error and making a church policy that lasted for many decades that was discriminatory. To make such a comparison shows how your mind justifies massive failures.

And yes, many Christians thought the mark of Cain was all black persons. And this is why no one should follow ancient books as if it were some absolute truth.

If prophets really had some sort of line to god, then any possible confusion on this mark of Cain should have never existed, yet it did and still does for some.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 95,421 - 95,440 of128,469
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

27 Users are viewing the Albany Forum right now

Search the Albany Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 7 min Whatever 145,949
KY Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 1 hr JOE NASTY 26,182
nick cash 8 hr plz 12
Ruthe Stumbo 9 hr An observer 1
cheating 10 hr drama 10
charlies package tonite 12 hr lelo 8
KY Hundreds of birds die in western Ky. (Jan '11) 12 hr taco bell reopens 81,553
•••
•••
•••
•••

Albany Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Albany People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••