California seeks to ban free, single-use carryout bags in retail

Jun 5, 2010 Full story: Chain Store Age 5,117

New York City The California State Assembly on Wednesday narrowly approved a bill would make California the first state in the nation to ban single-use plastic and paper bags from being handed out free of charge at supermarkets, drug stores, convenience stores and liquor stores.

Full Story
Ronald

Long Beach, CA

#4594 Apr 24, 2013
Mike the Pike wrote:
Hey liberals! Don't you ever get tired of being told what to do by the numbskulls you empower?
Mike the Pike.

Speaking of taxpayer supported schizophrenics, what's the matter? Did you double up on your taxpayer supplied meds the first half of the month and now you are out?

Ronald
Mike the Pike

Glenn, CA

#4595 Apr 24, 2013
If plastic shopping bags are going to start costing money then where are the homeless going to get new luggage?
Akkabba

Covina, CA

#4596 Apr 24, 2013
simpler just to reduce the quota of muslim immigrants to zero, rather than compromise our democratic heritage. cheaper too. no muslims no 911, no Bostom Massacre, no Fort Hood.

No law says we have to extend civil rights outside our boundaries. Now we are in the absurd position of limiting the civil rights of citizens because we are blindly trying to apply civil rights to foreigners.

to all the unjustly maligned muslims, I am sorry. but still rather not have my fellow citizens blown to bits.
STEPHANIE

Port Louis, Mauritius

#4598 Apr 25, 2013
try me! check my website guys http://www.callgirlsmauritius.com :)
Moss Harriet

Sonoma, CA

#4599 Apr 25, 2013
Akkabba wrote:
simpler just to reduce the quota of muslim immigrants to zero, rather than compromise our democratic heritage. cheaper too. no muslims no 911, no Bostom Massacre, no Fort Hood.
No law says we have to extend civil rights outside our boundaries. Now we are in the absurd position of limiting the civil rights of citizens because we are blindly trying to apply civil rights to foreigners.
to all the unjustly maligned muslims, I am sorry. but still rather not have my fellow citizens blown to bits.
You may be right. But we need immigrants to buy all the crap we sell that no one who has been here and calls this home would buy any of anymore. We need to have them do work in our yards, pools and kitchens so they can make enough money to buy this crap so that we make enough money to import it from china at a discount to then sell it to them for the wages we want to pay. This is the scheme and it works and then we have got to stop all non petroleum energy sources because they are not mentioned in the bible and that means that god dont like them. Wize upt.
Covered

Covina, CA

#4601 Apr 25, 2013
When your crazy and have been brain-washed by a religion for hundreds of years this is what you get, an oppressed female being told by her slave master's to lie, cheat and steal for Allah.

The mother of the Boston Marathon bombing suspects insisted (screamed) that her sons are not responsible for the attack and said she did not see any aggression in the older brother, even when the FBI questioned him two years ago.

Once a crook always a crooked liar, cheating is more honorable than honesty under the head scarf society.
Mammy Plezant Sonora

Sonoma, CA

#4602 Apr 25, 2013
Covered wrote:
When your crazy and have been brain-washed by a religion for hundreds of years this is what you get, an oppressed female being told by her slave master's to lie, cheat and steal for Allah.
The mother of the Boston Marathon bombing suspects insisted (screamed) that her sons are not responsible for the attack and said she did not see any aggression in the older brother, even when the FBI questioned him two years ago.
Once a crook always a crooked liar, cheating is more honorable than honesty under the head scarf society.
You may be righto. The thing that speaks out here is that all problems ensue from religion and so-called religious convictions. Once we agree that anyone that believes any of that or this or any other religious crap is too goofy to be in office or ever be elected for any position of the slightest responsibility then we will get a more rational government worldwide and can stop worrying about deporting all believers to some other place.
Seymour Duck

United States

#4603 Apr 25, 2013
You cant walk out of a liquer store without it being bagged.Ive been grabbing big stacks of paper bags at the grocery store since ive been a little kid learned it from my mom use em as kitchen trash bags.Com e on man,Tax Tax more tax.pretty soon your so low budget you need to find ways of saving green paper.
Cornered

Covina, CA

#4604 Apr 25, 2013
Medical and recreational marijuana may be legal in Colorado, but employers in the state can lawfully fire workers who test positive for the drug, even if it was used off duty, according to a court ruling Thursday.

The Colorado Court of Appeals found there is no employment protection for medical marijuana users in the state since the drug remains barred by the ederal government.

"For an activity to be lawful in Colorado, it must be permitted by, and not contrary to, both state and federal law, the appeals court stated in its 2-1 conclusion.
Ronald

Long Beach, CA

#4606 Apr 28, 2013
When the little children get home from their expensive taxpayer funded Government school after a hard day's political indoctrination, they always ask me why the elephants are not allowed on the beach. I always explain to my little friends that it is because they cannot keep their trunks up. Incidentally, Rosie the Riveter was a decent hard working tobacco user who "did her part" to win the war. She liked nothing better than to sit in a taxpayer owned and maintained city park, enjoying the worker ("middle") class pleasure of an occasional tobacco product, while wistfully dreaming of the handsome young beau she saw off to war, but who was never to return.

Were the gallant silver haired lady to somehow arise from the grave, she would be shocked to learn that extremist Revolutionary Council has prohibited her from using the very park they named after her, UNDER PENALTY OF REVOLUTIONARY LAW!

Ronald
Ronald

Long Beach, CA

#4607 Apr 28, 2013
Seymour Duck wrote:
You cant walk out of a liquer store without it being bagged.Ive been grabbing big stacks of paper bags at the grocery store since ive been a little kid learned it from my mom use em as kitchen trash bags.Com e on man,Tax Tax more tax.pretty soon your so low budget you need to find ways of saving green paper.
Seymour Duck.

Yes. Since the revolutionaries came to power, they have used taxation and Government licensing in order to impose more and more "stealth taxes" on, and to impose ever more control over, the increasingly impoverished American worker ("middle") class into areas that - prior to the revolutionary tyrants coming to power - were considered to be their own "private" business. Earlier, we discussed the impobability of the Long Beach revolutionary Council imposed Lowenthal grocery bag harassment tax remaining at its current "low introductory level" of 10 cents per paper grocery carry bag in the unlikely event Council doesn't criminalize paper grocery carry bags next, as it did with convenient plastic bags.

Thirsday morning was street-sweeping day in my neighborhood. In order to avoid the $50 Council imposed street sweeping tax, I had to move my car. I thought, as long as I was moving the car, I might just as well use some of my overtaxed gasoline driving to one of the "customer friendly" - but Council controlled - Long Beach non-union grocery stores to take advantage of their sale on bottled drinking water. After all, summer is fast drawing near. The store advertised 24 half liter bottle packs for $2 + the Government CRV tax. I bought two packs.

When I got home, I reviewed my grocery ticket.(Revolutionary controlled grocery stores no longer afix prices on goods they sell, nor do the check out clerks any longer call out the price of goods as they ring the items up. It is not possible to follow prices as they are being rung up because it is now "the industry standard" for purchases to be rung up too quickly for grocery shoppers to follow prices as the groceries are being rung up) Anyway, after returning home and doing the calculation, I found that the Government "CRV" tax amounted to $2.40 for the 48 plastic bottles that contained the water. After doing the calculation, I was shocked - but I was hardly surprised - to learn the tax was 60%.*

*(2 @$2 =$4 +$2.40 Government CRV tax =$6.40.$2.40 /$4 = 60%)

Ronald
The Infantile left Winged

Oroville, CA

#4609 Apr 28, 2013
Ronald wrote:
<quoted text>
Seymour Duck.
Yes. Since the revolutionaries came to power, they have used taxation and Government licensing in order to impose more and more "stealth taxes" on, and to impose ever more control over, the increasingly impoverished American worker ("middle") class into areas that - prior to the revolutionary tyrants coming to power - were considered to be their own "private" business. Earlier, we discussed the impobability of the Long Beach revolutionary Council imposed Lowenthal grocery bag harassment tax remaining at its current "low introductory level" of 10 cents per paper grocery carry bag in the unlikely event Council doesn't criminalize paper grocery carry bags next, as it did with convenient plastic bags.
Thirsday morning was street-sweeping day in my neighborhood. In order to avoid the $50 Council imposed street sweeping tax, I had to move my car. I thought, as long as I was moving the car, I might just as well use some of my overtaxed gasoline driving to one of the "customer friendly" - but Council controlled - Long Beach non-union grocery stores to take advantage of their sale on bottled drinking water. After all, summer is fast drawing near. The store advertised 24 half liter bottle packs for $2 + the Government CRV tax. I bought two packs.
When I got home, I reviewed my grocery ticket.(Revolutionary controlled grocery stores no longer afix prices on goods they sell, nor do the check out clerks any longer call out the price of goods as they ring the items up. It is not possible to follow prices as they are being rung up because it is now "the industry standard" for purchases to be rung up too quickly for grocery shoppers to follow prices as the groceries are being rung up) Anyway, after returning home and doing the calculation, I found that the Government "CRV" tax amounted to $2.40 for the 48 plastic bottles that contained the water. After doing the calculation, I was shocked - but I was hardly surprised - to learn the tax was 60%.*
*(2 @$2 =$4 +$2.40 Government CRV tax =$6.40.$2.40 /$4 = 60%)
Ronald
And Ronald, I do recycle plastic bottles, that we pay in Ca.$0.05 a piece for. Now for some reason when I, you, or we return these bottles, they weigh them instead of count them, in which there are all different size and thicknesses of these bottles.
Well two weeks back when I returned these bottles, and they gave me $40.56 for bottles that I paid a nickel each for!!! Something wrong with that math?
And why do they not take the caps for these bottles? In which these caps contain more plastic than a lot of the bottles they top???
Just another rip off tax from Ca. based on "SAVING THE EARTH".
Sebastopol Nickers Loud

Sonoma, CA

#4610 Apr 28, 2013
Well shucks. All we got to do is buy less stuff, what you can carry. This is supported by our banking system which has been working feverishly to diminish individual wealth and buying power of the wage earning bums. They will only be able to buy the day-old bread and limp celery half stalks with a green chicken gizzard with the money we are leaving them with. Up the rent, sez he, up the butt, sez he, up the foreclosure acceleration, up the charges on the bums and poor and wage earning slobs for every damn thing but DO NOT bother the rich for any share let alone fair share of public services or cost responsibility...STOP TAXING US at all and at the same moment raise taxes on the poor ...they are on the bottom so we can always find them. That is why we put & keep them there. Hire someone to carry your bagged escargot, charge them for the glovers you will want them to wear if they dare touch your goods. Charge 'em plenty and often.
GeeHauders

Covina, CA

#4611 Apr 28, 2013
Make mine a GeeHauder to GO?

When your wear a rag on your head, no wonder you get caught up doing stupid things.

A belief that spreaders hate and war is a real hum-dinger, belongs in he Middle East for sure.
Ronald

Long Beach, CA

#4612 Apr 28, 2013
Sebastopol Nickers Loud wrote:
Well shucks. All we got to do is buy less stuff, what you can carry. This is supported by our banking system which has been working feverishly to diminish individual wealth and buying power of the wage earning bums. They will only be able to buy the day-old bread and limp celery half stalks with a green chicken gizzard with the money we are leaving them with. Up the rent, sez he, up the butt, sez he, up the foreclosure acceleration, up the charges on the bums and poor and wage earning slobs for every damn thing but DO NOT bother the rich for any share let alone fair share of public services or cost responsibility...STOP TAXING US at all and at the same moment raise taxes on the poor ...they are on the bottom so we can always find them. That is why we put & keep them there. Hire someone to carry your bagged escargot, charge them for the glovers you will want them to wear if they dare touch your goods. Charge 'em plenty and often.
Sebastopol Nickers Loud.

Good point. I had many mentors during my youth who instructed me what - despite perceptions - is really happening. I especially remember Charlie Cordoba. Charlie often said "It's all psychological". It got to be even more so after the 60s 70s era revolutionaries came to power, along with their idiot "love children".

For example, during the early days of the revolution, hard earned taxpayer money was expended to fund NGOs. Wealthy revolutionary operators of these taxpayer financed NGOs serve as running-dogs for the purpose of ensuring every revolutionary failure is perceived as "yet another great victory".

The favorite tactic of NGO operators is to create great hubbub opposing the status quo of one matter or another. In the instant case, it might be to demand "environmentalism" which - as is always the case - means to inflict even greater taxation on and control over once free ordinary worker ("middle") class Americans. It is this ordinary worker ("middle") class American on whose blood the wealthy revolutionary ruling elite feed. The "recyclable" bottle tax is a good example.

The revolutionaries use their NGOs for the purpose of making every failed revolutionary economic and social program to be perceived as "great victories". You touched upon current revolutionary inspired efforts to inflict poverty through FED policies. The end result will be yet another "great victory" because China will no longer be willing to sell its goods to US consumers at a price they can afford in exchange for worthless US $Dollars. The end result of those efforts will be that more and more worker ("middle") class Americans will be dependent on Government hand-outs.

The revolution was designed and carried out by spoiled taxpayer supported 60s 70s era college brats (druggies) who despise hard working God fearing traditional worker ("middle") class American values. This wealthy revolutionary ruling class element no longer fights worker ("middle") class cops on the street as they did outside the Democrat convention hall in 1968. Now that they are in power, though, they are doing far more damage to the torn fabric of America.

Ronald
The ims

Covina, CA

#4613 Apr 28, 2013
Just baggim and tag im
Ronald

Long Beach, CA

#4614 Apr 28, 2013
The ims wrote:
Just baggim and tag im
The ims.

Are you aware that revolutionary Government has decreed schizophrenia is no longer a bar to engaging in gainful employment?

Ronald
Gimme Back My Sack

Fremont, CA

#4615 Apr 29, 2013
Since Alameda County banned plastic grocery bags I now do all my shopping in Santa Clara County.

Those bags are great for dumping scooped cat poop.
ron gladst

Sonoma, CA

#4616 Apr 29, 2013
Gimme Back My Sack wrote:
Since Alameda County banned plastic grocery bags I now do all my shopping in Santa Clara County.
Those bags are great for dumping scooped cat poop.
Whose cats poop are you scooping? Do you separate by breed of cat into little piles of marked poop on the kitchen counter at home? Do you refrigerate the stuff in neat tupperware that is color coded just right? Do you fine sift for bits of twig, sand and other road dirt? What do you do when it is runny and greasy? Do the neighbors chase after you (at a no-smell or touch distance) hollering and waving brooms? How is ma?
PokieMOn

Covina, CA

#4617 Apr 29, 2013
Seek and you shall find.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Albany Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 3 hr Kfluff 19,393
Quan's Legacy. (Apr '14) Fri KKK Sten Gun 69
Ku Klux Klan Fall Meeting In Humboldt Fri KKK Sten Gun 1
Oakland man arrested in stolen car after high-s... Fri Disgusted with Oa... 1
Doctor heads to court after online sex sting (Nov '06) Thu PSYCHO 16,916
Oakland Tribune editorial: Public deserves answ... Thu OMF 1
Skype or Facetime sex any ladies? (Nov '13) Thu The right one 7

Albany News Video

Albany Dating
Find my Match