Colorado native to take helm at El Pa...

Colorado native to take helm at El Paso Times

There are 32 comments on the El Paso Times story from Oct 26, 2008, titled Colorado native to take helm at El Paso Times. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

Chris Lopez, a 25-year veteran of daily newspapers who has held various leadership roles throughout his career and spearheaded coverage of some of the biggest news stories in the country, has been named editor ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
getouttahere

AOL

#1 Oct 26, 2008
is he cubano? please no more right wing losers from cuba.

“Try living in reality”

Since: Sep 08

Hellpaso

#2 Oct 26, 2008
Awwww a breath of fresh air, and some one who is not from El Paso that can at least try and make look the news paper a bit respectable.

Give it 3 years, and then hes out of here!
yellowrosieoftex as

El Paso, TX

#3 Oct 26, 2008
This guy must be cursed! Look at all the calamities that follow where ever he goes!Just kidding...Welcome to El Paso.
Gil

Carrollton, TX

#4 Oct 26, 2008
I guess he knows the ropes, by that I mean he is willing to follow suit on the el paso times tradition of covering up for some local personalities. Will he go after the well known corrupt government officials, business owners, DA, etc or will he just endorse them like the previous editor did?

I think they will pay him a visit and lay it out for him, this is how things are done in this town. ELP Times has never been accussed of honest coverage so in reality it belongs to the highest bidder and so it will continue.
El Paul

El Paso, TX

#5 Oct 26, 2008
Hey that's great. Now can he make eptimes.com run faster? It is slooooooooooooooow.
Bird Cage Liner

United States

#6 Oct 26, 2008
I certainly hope this new editor will bring some truthful and unbised leadership to this rotten rag.

For the last decade the El Paso Times has lost revenue, readers and respect for it's biased "liberal" coverage on every aspect of the news. From the Times suppport for illegal immigration to downright disdain for law enforcement.

Perhaps the new editor will give this bird cage liner new life, but I am not counting on it.
Sir Carlos

El Paso, TX

#7 Oct 26, 2008
Welcome!

Hope he brings good change to the El Paso Times. I am glad he isn't from El Paso but it is a little disappointing that he is hispanic. I think this town and the EP Times need diversity! Just because El Paso is 75 plus percent hispanic doesn't mean the editor of the paper should be automatically too. Diversity is good. The El Paso Times staff is filled with way too many "locals." Too many ex stars of El Paso Inc/Whats UP. He needs to be able to make the El Paso Times a great place to work so journalist outside of the region want to come here.

Hope he doesn't regret not being at the Denver Post after a week. Most would.
Sara Cuda

United States

#9 Oct 26, 2008
Then he'd be a real moron.
TOTAL AGREEMENT

Brownsville, TX

#10 Oct 26, 2008
Bird Cage Liner wrote:
I certainly hope this new editor will bring some truthful and unbised leadership to this rotten rag.
For the last decade the El Paso Times has lost revenue, readers and respect for it's biased "liberal" coverage on every aspect of the news. From the Times suppport for illegal immigration to downright disdain for law enforcement.
Perhaps the new editor will give this bird cage liner new life, but I am not counting on it.
Not a native of El Paso, living here six years, stopped reading the El Paso Times two years ago. Hopefully there will be some change.
To Total Agreement

El Paso, TX

#11 Oct 26, 2008
So much for you not reading the Times anymore. You certainly read it online at least today.
Gaser

United States

#12 Oct 26, 2008
Sara Cuda wrote:
Then he'd be a real moron.
Too Che' I guess you are right.
Sal

United States

#14 Oct 26, 2008
I would like the El Paso Times to change its header that makes it look like an alternative newspaper, as if it was What's Up. They need to return to the old El Paso Times header, make it look a little more professional. Oh and by the way just because he is Hispanic it doesn't mean that he feels or has the same opinion as other Hispanics. He looks like he is a Republican and is probably the traditional Hispanic that tries to act Gringo. Good luck to him anyway!
SirWilliam

Paducah, TX

#16 Oct 26, 2008
I congratulate the Times on it's new editor. He has a good mix of experience and I have no doubt the Times will benefit with Chris Lopez at its helm. I enjoy reading the online edition and I expect Mr. Lopez will enhance this fine paper.
Rico

United States

#17 Oct 26, 2008
El Paso needs to get with the times and start acting like a responsible city. All the in-fighting and crime and corrupt political sleaze here is disheartening.

We need a newspaper that holds the politicans accountable, not as another bad actor supporting their corruption.

We need a newspaper that will expose the drug trafficking under-belly that results in the corruption of our schools, teachers and the whole education system.

We need a newspaper that helps average income families here and fights the ever higher taxes that are driving people to move across the state line to New Mexico.

We need a newspaper that does investigative reporting and ferrets out the crooks in our city and county government.

We need a real newspaper, Are you up to the job
Mr. Lopez?
Sir Carlos

El Paso, TX

#18 Oct 26, 2008
Rico wrote:
El Paso needs to get with the times and start acting like a responsible city. All the in-fighting and crime and corrupt political sleaze here is disheartening.
We need a newspaper that holds the politicans accountable, not as another bad actor supporting their corruption.
We need a newspaper that will expose the drug trafficking under-belly that results in the corruption of our schools, teachers and the whole education system.
We need a newspaper that helps average income families here and fights the ever higher taxes that are driving people to move across the state line to New Mexico.
We need a newspaper that does investigative reporting and ferrets out the crooks in our city and county government.
We need a real newspaper, Are you up to the job
Mr. Lopez?
The newspapers and editors job is not to be a "cop." The police dept. is suppose to handle the corruption and drugs. "drug trafficking under-belly that results in the corruption of our schools, teachers and the whole education system." You've been watching too many movies. The job of a newspaper is to present the facts, and the facts only. Editorials are EDITORIALS!

All reporters want to write stories that make a difference. I don't think they are in anybodies pocket. If there is so much to expose then expose it. You don't need the newspaper now-a-days to expose corruption.

Lets support our newspaper too. BUT if it doesn't do what we like, it is America, don't buy it.
Teresa

El Paso, TX

#19 Oct 26, 2008
Colorado native? Looks like a Mexico native.
RED WHITE AND BLUE

Brownsville, TX

#20 Oct 26, 2008
I doubt he will make a difference, a dumbocrap that will bend backwards to keep the The "El Paso Slime s" as is:A bias newspaper, with no real journalists or journalism, a newspaper that has no honor, no balls to report real events and dig into the liberal world and report it as is....journalism is DEAD!!
Jane

Colorado Springs, CO

#21 Oct 26, 2008
The Contra Costa Times is known for its pro-Mexican reconquista propaganda.
Ed medina

Torrance, CA

#23 Oct 26, 2008
As a frequent reader of elpasotimes.com I congratulate and welcome Mr,Chris Lopez in joining EPT. He has had lot's of experience to enhance this fine publication.
Jake

El Paso, TX

#24 Oct 26, 2008
Sir Carlos wrote:
Welcome!
Hope he brings good change to the El Paso Times. I am glad he isn't from El Paso but it is a little disappointing that he is hispanic. I think this town and the EP Times need diversity! Just because El Paso is 75 plus percent hispanic doesn't mean the editor of the paper should be automatically too. Diversity is good. The El Paso Times staff is filled with way too many "locals." Too many ex stars of El Paso Inc/Whats UP. He needs to be able to make the El Paso Times a great place to work so journalist outside of the region want to come here.
Hope he doesn't regret not being at the Denver Post after a week. Most would.
The Mexicans have a newspaper of their own, El Diario, so it would only be fair for non-hispanics to have a news source.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alamosa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Officer arrested on sex charges (Apr '06) Mar '17 Roy martinez 36
Grass Roots Government--by All for All. (Aug '16) Dec '16 modelearth 3
Let Us Do Something About the Future Now! Not A... (Nov '16) Nov '16 hearthstone 1
RMS Septic (Jul '14) Nov '16 William 3
subs (Oct '16) Oct '16 needAsub 1
Amendment 69 (Sep '16) Sep '16 happles 1
Pete Kampfer? (May '14) Aug '16 tex 4

Alamosa Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Alamosa Mortgages