First Prev
of 6
Next Last
unknown

United States

#1 Jul 12, 2012
Has anyone heard that 35 employees were layed off from GCRMC today?
Rat Killa

Lawrence, MA

#2 Jul 12, 2012
Had not heard that, but it is quite possible. The hospital is contracting out a lot of services to cut costs. These contractors in turn usually cut staff to keep their own costs down.
Voldemort

Rio Rancho, NM

#3 Jul 12, 2012
unknown wrote:
Has anyone heard that 35 employees were layed off from GCRMC today?
According to one of their employees, 42 employees were given the order of the boot. I heard this about 2 hours ago. Also heard GCRMC will be taken over by another hospital company, no idea which one.
Harry

Alamogordo, NM

#4 Jul 12, 2012
Yes!!! 400+ more votes for Obama!
dont believe

Albuquerque, NM

#6 Jul 12, 2012
dont believe what the hospital spews its not true and when your family members start dying off then well maybe alamogordo will get a clue.
Actually

Alamogordo, NM

#7 Jul 12, 2012
Voldemort wrote:
<quoted text>
According to one of their employees, 42 employees were given the order of the boot. I heard this about 2 hours ago. Also heard GCRMC will be taken over by another hospital company, no idea which one.
According to the newspaper, 39 employees were laid off.

http://www.alamogordonews.com/ci_21065553/hos...
Harry

Alamogordo, NM

#8 Jul 13, 2012
Actually wrote:
<quoted text>
According to the newspaper, 39 employees were laid off.
http://www.alamogordonews.com/ci_21065553/hos...
Actually! IT IS MORE THAN THAT! TRUST ME!
lanf locked sailor

Alamogordo, NM

#9 Jul 13, 2012
Hospital layoffs affect 39Alamogordo Daily News
By Duane Barbati, Staff Writeralamogordonews.com
Posted: 07/12/2012 09:35:05 PM MDT

On the heels of filing Chapter 11 bankruptcy in August 2011, Gerald Champion Regional Medical Center laid off 39 employees Thursday due to declining patient volumes and reimbursement for Medicare and Medicaid patients.

According to a press release issued by GCRMC, the board of directors of GCRMC authorized the layoffs in order to ensure the hospital's immediate and long-term ability to provide critical health care services to the people of Otero County.

GCRMC spokeswoman Lillie Lewis said the layoffs were from several departments across the hospital.

"They were from several departments from the clinical department and administration," Lewis said. "We didn't have any from our intensive care unit or emergency room. We did not lay off any doctors."

She said there are about 20 unfilled positions for which the laid off employees can apply and be considered.

"Some of those employees are not qualified for those positions," Lewis said. "A lot of those (open) positions are specialty positions. They may not have the qualifications for those positions that we have available."

She said she did not have the information on how many of the laid off employees have the qualification for the open positions at this time.

"Some of the people laid off may decide that they want to go back and look at doing something different," Lewis said. "They may look at becoming an intensive care nurse. We have some highly technical positions that are out there. They may not have those skills.
Those people laid off are in departments that we have a decrease census and excess of employees. No, it isn't (due to the bankruptcy)."
lanf locked sailor

Alamogordo, NM

#10 Jul 13, 2012
According to an article published Aug. 16, 2011, in the Daily News, the GCRMC board of directors authorized the Chapter 11 bankruptcy filing "to ensure the hospital's immediate and long-term ability to provide critical health care services to more than 70,000 people in the Tularosa Basin, while creating an orderly process to resolve a group of lawsuits in a fair and timely manner."

The majority of the lawsuits were filed between June and October 2010 and relate to procedures that have not been performed at the hospital for nearly three years by physicians who no longer work at the hospital, according to the Aug. 16, 2011, story.

Lewis said attrition, reassignment and a decrease in the number of part-time positions have allowed the hospital to reduce the number of individuals impacted by the restructuring to the 39 layoffs. She said that during the past few months, the hospital has been able to hold down new hires so that patient care would be unaffected.

"Consequently, we have fewer staff members who will have to be laid off," Lewis said. She added that Thursday's layoffs represent about 6 percent of the hospital's 675 current employees.

"Since January 2011, we have seen a steady decline in patient volumes amounting to an almost 8 percent reduction in patient admissions and 16 percent reduction in surgeries in the hospital," GCRMC chief executive officer Jim Heckert said in a press release. "Couple this patient volume decline with reduced reimbursement by certain insurance payers, our financial performance has suffered. We have been trying to slow our hiring to match this turndown in volume and reimbursement, but we reached the conclusion after finishing this past year with a net operating loss that we were not 'right sizing' quick enough. The good news is that our volumes have stabilized, but unfortunately, despite our best efforts, we are overstaffed for our current patient volumes. Beginning with administration, the layoffs will impact every area in the hospital."

Norm Arnold, GCRMC chairman of the board of directors, said it was a difficult decision for the board.

"But there are many hospitals having to do similar things due to the economy and changes in health care reimbursement," Arnold said. "We believe this is the most responsible way to manage this current threat to the hospital's long-term viability. As a former business owner, I understand the truly painful impact this will have on all of our staff, those laid off and those that remain in uncertain times. The hospital, however, is not exempt from turndown in business volumes and must do what it must to ensure the sustainability of the hospital going forward to provide safe and effective care to the citizens of Otero County.

"It is unfortunate that this is coming on the heels of our Chapter 11 filing, which, thankfully, should be concluded in August. All of these actions, we believe, will put the hospital on a firm path to financial recovery that will allow us to focus more directly on our mission of meeting the medical needs of the community."

GCRMC, a not-for-profit 99-bed acute care facility, has served the community for more than 60 years. In 1999, it moved into its current facility along Scenic Drive.

GCRMC has a longstanding partnership with the Department of Defense, allowing physicians from nearby Holloman Air Force Base to admit and treat DOD beneficiaries in the hospital.
GCRMC employee

Alamogordo, NM

#11 Jul 13, 2012
The truth of the matter is years of mismanagement have created a hospital that is very heavy on admisistrators,and middle and upper management, and light on those who actually do the work. Those management positions were very safe from layoffs. The people actually preforming patient care were the ones affected. As a nurse working there I can't tell you how often we don't have enough people to care for the patients we do have, let alone take anymore. And yet that is exactly what we have been asked to do; take more and more patients with higher acuity while running a skeleton crew. People wonder why they don't see their nurse more often, well it's becasue we have 7-9 other patients who are all very sick. It is simply not possible for one person to provide QUALITY care to that many people, especially when you take into consideration how sick people have to be anymore for insurance companies to even allow them to be an inpatient in a hospital setting.
What I would like to see is fewer people telling us how much harder we need to be working (i.e. our CEO and director of Nursing and the many layers of management)and more people actually doing the work of caring for patients! Instead the hospital fired 39 employees with NO notice whatsoever and left the already thinly spread crews to pick up that slack as well, with the encouraging words of "at least you still have a job".
The hospital is $7million dollars in the red this year. What better way to make a sinking ship look more profitable in a hurry to potential buyers than instantly cutting 39 full-time salaries and benefits? And yet again, the gross mismanagement of GCRMC is paid for by the employee while the heavy hitters remain safe with their large salaries safely in their pockets. And the Alamogordo Daily News prints a fluffy story about how sad but necessary the layoffs are. I am sickened! Where are the actual questions for the hospital administrators? For example: Why is every upper level administrator who was present during the events leading up to the class-action lawsuit and eventual bankruptcy, and knew what was happening, still gainfully employeed?
Please pray for the people who were fired. They have families who depend on them. Many were single parents and caretaker of disables family members. None could afford to suddenly be jobless. I'm sure Jim Heckert hasn't lost one second of sleep in his big expensive house in an affluent neighborhood, while others wonder how they will get groceries for their kids now.
hmm

Alamogordo, NM

#12 Jul 13, 2012
thats sad

Since: Oct 08

#13 Jul 13, 2012
GCRMC employee wrote:
The truth of the matter is years of mismanagement have created a hospital that is very heavy on admisistrators,and middle and upper management, and light on those who actually do the work.
sound like the educations system!!!
Heisenberg

Alamogordo, NM

#14 Jul 13, 2012
GCRMC employee wrote:
The truth of the matter is years of mismanagement have created a hospital that is very heavy on admisistrators,and middle and upper management, and light on those who actually do the work. Those management positions were very safe from layoffs. The people actually preforming patient care were the ones affected. As a nurse working there I can't tell you how often we don't have enough people to care for the patients we do have, let alone take anymore. And yet that is exactly what we have been asked to do; take more and more patients with higher acuity while running a skeleton crew. People wonder why they don't see their nurse more often, well it's becasue we have 7-9 other patients who are all very sick. It is simply not possible for one person to provide QUALITY care to that many people, especially when you take into consideration how sick people have to be anymore for insurance companies to even allow them to be an inpatient in a hospital setting.
What I would like to see is fewer people telling us how much harder we need to be working (i.e. our CEO and director of Nursing and the many layers of management)and more people actually doing the work of caring for patients! Instead the hospital fired 39 employees with NO notice whatsoever and left the already thinly spread crews to pick up that slack as well, with the encouraging words of "at least you still have a job".
The hospital is $7million dollars in the red this year. What better way to make a sinking ship look more profitable in a hurry to potential buyers than instantly cutting 39 full-time salaries and benefits? And yet again, the gross mismanagement of GCRMC is paid for by the employee while the heavy hitters remain safe with their large salaries safely in their pockets. And the Alamogordo Daily News prints a fluffy story about how sad but necessary the layoffs are. I am sickened! Where are the actual questions for the hospital administrators? For example: Why is every upper level administrator who was present during the events leading up to the class-action lawsuit and eventual bankruptcy, and knew what was happening, still gainfully employeed?
Please pray for the people who were fired. They have families who depend on them. Many were single parents and caretaker of disables family members. None could afford to suddenly be jobless. I'm sure Jim Heckert hasn't lost one second of sleep in his big expensive house in an affluent neighborhood, while others wonder how they will get groceries for their kids now.
This work ethic principal has been in effect all across America for far too long, and this is how things are usually run.

The little guy gets told to do more, with less, cut pay, cut man hours, cut personell, all the while upper management does little to nothing for their pay, they never break a sweat, that they often usually get their jobs not by what they know, but who they know.

That companies far too often slap the faces of the employees who's shoulders they stand upon.

And I don't forsee such changing anytime soon in this country.
That this is how it's done, the "Haves, and the Have Nots".

Once these sort of principles change, then maybe, just maybe, this entire country will get back on its feet.

How can an economy get better, when there's so many people without jobs, and a large portion of america's workers just getting by with crap minimum wage jpbs?
Heisenberg

Alamogordo, NM

#15 Jul 13, 2012
I'd bet my last dollar, that those people who were just laid off, were some of Gerald Champion's most "valuable" people.

The people who sweat and toll, clean toilets, rooms, change beds, clean up puke, blood, dispose of trash, mops floors, cleans kitchens, those that actually run, and do their jobs with day to day operations.

I've seen how the place has been run recently, it's all a front, the office, and administrative folks putting on a false impression that this is some state of the art facility, professionally run, when it is not. All that is swept under the carpet, so the unsuspecting eye doesn't see such.

But look a bit harder, look a little longer, and you'll see how many rooms that patients are stuck in are unkempt, restrooms dirty for lack of personell, and a willingness to pay such people to do such jobs, a cafeteria that is the pits.

Patients getting their food so damn late, it is actually unsafe to eat, should be chucked in the trash.

And all the while, here's the hot bitches, prancing around, holier than thou, and very rude, and absolutely uncaring about any patient.

And these are so called ER head nurses. Yep, I seen them some hot blonde bitch who works there, who should be bitch slapped, and fired.

A damn shame for such a hospital, that could have so much goo potential, and good service for this town, and I am well aware that there are many wonderful people who work there, or are relentless in giving their dedication and time, and provide professional beyond the call of duty service for us people here.

Take one little pretty hard working girl there in ER by the name of Windy.(She was born in a Hurricane, hence her name)

I met her, and I've seen the work she tirelessly does. She's a true saint. I'm hoping Gerald Champion was not so stupid to let her go, as they probably lost one of their best.
ill bet

Albuquerque, NM

#16 Jul 13, 2012
that they know where Scranton is though!? That makes them just a little smarter than you!
Heisenberg

Alamogordo, NM

#17 Jul 13, 2012
ill bet wrote:
that they know where Scranton is though!? That makes them just a little smarter than you!
It was simply a typo fool, and yes, even the "Great Heisenberg" makes a mistake every now and then.

The only mistake of you, is that other than myself "Mr Stuid is as Stupid Does", in which I was born in a Catholic Hospital in Chicago (Mother Cabrini), you were probably born in the back seat of a '72 Impala, out in Dog Canyon, a product of hillbilly hick inbreeding, from your older cousin Jed humpin your mammy.
A typo

Albuquerque, NM

#18 Jul 14, 2012
Heisenberg wrote:
<quoted text>
It was simply a typo fool, and yes, even the "Great Heisenberg" makes a mistake every now and then.
The only mistake of you, is that other than myself "Mr Stuid is as Stupid Does", in which I was born in a Catholic Hospital in Chicago (Mother Cabrini), you were probably born in the back seat of a '72 Impala, out in Dog Canyon, a product of hillbilly hick inbreeding, from your older cousin Jed humpin your mammy.
would indicate that you made an error at the keyboard such as taht instead of that.
NJ and PA are nothing alike or close to be a TYPO you jerkwad! You can't even admit a simple mistake without making excuses.
Face it, YOU are the only hillbilly hick on these boards.
dum8ass
Spelling Police

United States

#19 Jul 14, 2012
A typo means you mis-typed the word. You didn't know the answer dlckh8ad! You can't even man up enough to ADMIT you didn't know the real answer! You have to make half assed excuses about typo's!

A typographical error. Historically, this referred to mistakes in manual type-setting (typography).[1] The term includes errors due to mechanical failure or slips of the hand or finger,[1] but excludes errors of ignorance.
This one explains YOU to the letter!

Wanna try again to explain your IGNORANCE?

Since: Sep 08

Alamogordo, NM

#20 Jul 14, 2012
It will be interesting to see what information is leaked about the settlement in August..

This hospital needs new leadership and less managers, When you have to wait in the ER waiting room for 4 hours to be seen, and then 2 more hours back in the ER individual romms, there is a problem.

Have you noticed when you go to the ER room, the 1st person you encounter is sitting behind a customer service window that uses a piece of wood to block your ability to ask them a question.

I know there are some great employees at the hospital, and i am sure it is not easy working there watching the inner working of the hospital controlled by administrators who are covering there backside, The lawsuits are the result of those managers and administrators and those individual needed to be the ones fired, But they will just be relocated.

Now off subject, Why would anyone espically the Air Force hire this doctor who is the main culprit of these lawsuits.
sick of it

Alamogordo, NM

#21 Jul 14, 2012
GCRMC employee wrote:
I know of a home care agency on whitesands blvd that is looking for fulltime and parttime nursing staff and respite providers

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alamogordo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Two dead police 27 min NM Parent 4
The Fed's next land fight: New Mexico ranchers ... (May '14) 57 min Ralph 32
Ruidoso Officer sues 1 hr Neighbor 2
Christmas 16 hr Ralph 37
Do You Support Otero County Tea Party Patriots ? 16 hr Ralph 98
US and Cuba Set To Resume Full Diplomatic Relat... 16 hr Ralph 43
The movie 16 hr Ralph 1
Alamogordo Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web